main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania 3rd Annual JC-FF Rugby League footy tipping competition -- Now into the finals!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by wedge3210, Feb 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    If the Bulldogs get kicked out, or lose enough points, the Warriors should win the Minor Premiership! They've got a pretty easy run home.

2. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Kick them out! kick them out!

No really I think they should sit out the semis.

3. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    Yeah, the only punishment that has any credability would be to get the Bulldogs out of Finals contention. It was their goal to buy a premiership so they shouldn't even be given the chance to succeed.

4. farmboynz

farmboynz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2001
    Not sure the NRL will kick them out,
    they would lose to much money

The real question is what other clubs are doing it?

5. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    It doesn't matter how many other clubs are doing it. The Bulldogs were the ones that were caught. It's the first time a club has been caught during a season, other salary cap rorts have been found after the comp has been wound up. There must be a big punishment to stop it from happening again. Auditors need more power midseason, that may find other teams, but as it stands the Bulldogs are the only ones in the firing line. They must be shot (metaphorically speaking of course).

Strip them of all competition points. It's the only fitting way to go.

6. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    If the Bulldogs are allowed to stay and they end up winning the comp, it'll be a tarnished victory. I don't think anyone would respect their victory -- so what else can the NRL do but kick them out?

7. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Tips Reminder!!!

I doubt you'll see "expelled" on the sentence press release. There's nothing in the rules that let that to happen. There's just reduction of points. I'm willing to bet they'll simply be removed from the premiership race by reducing their points to the two byes.

Souths might not be wooden spooners just yet.

Either way there's no chance that the NRL can let them play in the finals and hold any credability.

Did anyone hear George Piggins' rant about the Knights and Broncos being over the cap? Unbelievable sprout! His accusations claimed that the Knights were over by $700000 in 2000and we can't have reduced it by that much since! Well we were actually $70000 over.

Piggins is just looking to get the monkey off the back of the Bulldogs. His nephew plays for them and the Doggies gave the Bunnies a big loan in 2000.

Word here is that Danny Buderus could play tomorrow night.

Tips are tough this week. Some awkward away games and all. I really want the Warriors to win, but I've gone with the Roosters... :(

8. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Yeh, Piggins should just keep quiet if he doesn't have any real proof. The Knights and Broncos have had to let go loads of players over the years and for next year -- Matty Johns, John Morris, Ashley Harrison, Chris Walker, Luke Priddis, etc. The clubs are successful becasue their players love their clubs and take reduced salaries. Look at Petro Cinivecina(sp?) -- he could have gone to the Cowboys for loads more than what he re-signed for.

Anyways, yeh... much tougher week than last. Knights and Broncos should be great, and the Warriors have a chance to really prove their worth by winning away from home. I went with the Warriors.

9. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    What a great Knight out after a bad day!

:)

Doggies are gone too! Newcastle now into second place after tonight's win. Top stuff.

If the Warriors lose, then we'll be equal, I think anyway.

:) I'm tipping the Warriors now too.

10. LisaJ

LisaJ Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1999
    Well the doggies have gone..does that change the tipping for the remainder of the rounds?

11. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    They're still playing their games. They just lost the opportunity to play in the finals.

Bad luck for the players and fans, but the team did benefit unfairly from the board's actions.

12. LisaJ

LisaJ Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1999
    true...I totally agree with you there..

and it is unfortunate for the players as well as the fans, but action had to be taken against the club for what happened..

I just feel sorry for the players, to work hard all this season and then to have this happen...but at least now ppl know they have to abide by the rules or sever consequenses will follow...

13. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I changed back to the Roosters this afternoon. And a good thing I did. I mainly did it to see if I could get back at the girlfriend. :)

It worked.

The for and against will see Newcastle now take first place on the ladder.

:)

14. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
  15. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Crikey. Broncos and Warriors got slapped! Bulldogs lost.

Going to be an interesting last few rounds.

16. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    The Knights win the Grand Final!

Report from AMNRL.com

Heavens Above... Knights win the Cup!

The New York Knights stopped what looked certain to be a fifth Bulls Title with an impressive display of Rugby League to take out the 2002 Championship Trophy. The Knights who started the playoffs in 4th spot with must win games back to back found form at the right time of year coming into the final.

The Bulls coming off a hard fought victory over the first placed Sharks were determined to not let their home crowd down and started the match with all guns blazing. The first 10 mins of the games belonged to the Bulls as a number of simple New York mistakes saw Glen Mills attack the line on numerous occasions. Determined yards by their massive forward pack put the Bulls in excellent field position and then draw first blood with a try to Rick Forwood under the posts.

The Knights defense was again tested as the Bulls continued to apply pressure through Cory Sheridan and David Niu. Both players found space to move but couldn't capitalize as the Knights held on against repeats sets of six downs.

After a sensational 20 minutes by Glen Mills, the Knights looked as though they might never see their half until a smart cutout pass from Mike Mulvihill onto Nicre Dacre saw him beat 2 defenders and throw a one handed flick ball to Rich Portale who raced 50 yards to score with a perfect 10 dive in the corner.

Although the conversion was unsuccessful, the Knights clicked gears and never looked back. The next 20 minutes both teams matched each other perfectly with a bruising display of hits and runs that had the crowd on the edge of their seats. Outstanding yards from New York prop Hayden James kept the play alive and Mike Mulvihill was only to pleased to find Nicre Dacre again who produced almost an identical step to the first try except this time in open space and then again in the corner to score.

Half time saw the Knights leading 8 to 6 but it was any teams game as both clubs dominated for an equal amount of time.

The second half saw the skies build with black clouds as a result of one of the hottest and driest summers on record and it looked as if the game may be not completed in time. On the field the action belonged yet again to the Knights as they scored 2 more sensational tries outwide through newcomer Danny Bull.

With the Knights leading 18 points to 6, the Bulls lost both Carr Barr (Torn ACL) and David Niu (Ribs) within the space of 5 minutes. The game was stopped for a lengthy period due to both injuries and it was now certain the game was about to change direction with the storm of the year surrounding the sky and ready to command attention.

The Bulls had other ideas, and Captain Shayne Mains and Ed Woodbridge found solid yards up the middle before a clever step by Cory Sheridan saw him under the posts with Pat McShea converting the try.

With 20 minutes left on the clock and play just under way, the first drop of rain hit the field followed by what seemed like a wall of water only seconds later. Lighting crashes and old mother cries as the game was called complete an awarded to the New York after officials waited in vain for a sign of the dangerous conditions to end. The heavens continued to pour throughout the night and so did the New York team as they celebrated their first ever championship in impressive style.

The Bulls took the defeat well but will always wonder what if and if only they could have those final 20 minutes on another day.

More details and photos to come.

[image=http://www.amnrl.com/graphx/tea_knights.jpg]

17. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Tips Reminder!!!

18. farmboynz

Jul 19, 2001
    Hope the warriors do better this week

What does everyone think of the punishment the bulldogs received and will they get more?

How can that Doggies league boss think he is getting a small salary for stepping down as chairman, but still being a director
    i think i heard him say he got paid $200,000 that's not small

19. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I don't have a problem with it. They shouldn't be playing in the semis so loss of points is fair.

20. farmboynz

Jul 19, 2001
    I thought it was fair as well

they had no right to play in the semi and i think a fine and points reduction was the best way to deal with it

21. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I thought the fine was particularly lenient, but I've come around a bit on the idea of kicking them out. I honestly belive that the players didn't know that the board put false numbers to the NRL on their salaries. But still, the team is part of the club and it had to suffer something.

Tough situation.

22. Stunt_Monkey

Stunt_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    I think they should be put with Parramatta, Melbourne, Canberra, the Eagles and the Dragons in a fight for 6th, 7th and 8th spots, and a heavier fine........
    say on 23 competitions points

23. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    They thought about that but couldn't do it. What if they finished eighth and had to play the first place team, say Newcastle. All of a sudden the Knights aren't really playing an eighth place side like Canberra or the Dragons and they're fighting for their lives against convicted cheats. Not really possible.

One from one so far too.

24. farmboynz

Jul 19, 2001
    Damm warriors stopped my prefect round

Still #1 thou

Bring on the semis

25. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Looks like Johns will be suspended this week. It'll be poor consistency if he does after Langer and Barrett got off for worse.

Oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.