main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit 582,797,753 jax pavan's on coruscant and other absurd offhand comments

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jacktherack, Dec 7, 2012.

1. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    so i'm not sure if you guys know but darthapedia had a field day with the whole 500 million jax pavan thing... what other comments just mentioned casually in the novels are like that?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Oh, we know. We know quite well.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Darthipedia also had a field day with the term "InterGalactic Banking Clan" until the essential Atlas went and ruined it all.[face_sigh]

4. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    While that particular number is certainly off by a rather large factor, the principle of the quote does have a certain application. In a monocultural sociey, which is what Star Wars humanity largely is (at least in the Core). Name repetition can get pretty intense. For example, ~1% of all American men under the age of 35 are currently named Jacob. The same thing holds true for a few other names: Michael, Daniel, Joshua, etc. While family names show less congruity, 1% of Americans are named Smith, and Johnson, Williams, Jones, Brown, and Davis all hover around 0.5%.

These aren't huge numbers out of three hundred million, but in a 50% human Coruscant (a not unreasonable estimate), that number is five hundred billion, of whom two hundred and fifty billion are men. So the number of Michael Smiths would be: 250,000,000,000 * 0.01 * 0.005 = 12.5 million.

5. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    yes but just because there are 1% of Americans with the last name smith and 1% of them with the first name Michael doesn't mean there would necessarily be x number of them named Michael smith

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Look at his math again - 2.5 billion would be Michaels, and .5% of those would be Michael Smiths, hence 12.5 million.

And speaking as a Michael, I feel Jax's pain. :oops:

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    You'd be surprised. In my phone book, which comprises of Adams County, Pennsylvania, I counted 30 James Smiths, 19 John Smiths, 22 Michael Smiths, and 36 Robert Smiths. That's just in Adams County, which isn't as densely populated as York County.

R_Zion likes this.
  8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Also, there's no reason to think "Jax Pavan" is strictly a human name. Or, for that matter, strictly a male name.

9. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    It's also worth noting that name overlap is actually surprisingly low in the US, compared to certain other countries and cultures. In the Muslim world there are fewer first names and naming convention doesn't have proper 'family' names in the sense we refer to them, instead appending the names of fathers and then grandfathers, and the number of people with 'Mohammed' in there somewhere is well above any name seeing common use in the US.

Of course the real key to having multiple name matches in order to obscure the attention of law enforcement, which if I recall correctly is what the Pavan quote is meant to allude to is sharing both name and birth date. 12.5 million spread across 100 years and 368 standard days = 339 people sharing both those pieces of information - that's more than enough potential for false matches to render those pieces of data fairly useless, forcing law enforcement in the Core to rely on more advanced biometrics.

10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    If I remember correctly, there is a country in Southeast Asia where well over a third of the population has the same family name.

11. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Here's another one, from Yoda: Dark Rendezvous:
    ... I want a novel about thinking clams!!!

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
  13. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    TOR Annihilation repeats this even with making SHAN a popular last name on coruscant alone and in the galaxy, which is why Theron and Satele never were thought to be related in public.

so with all Jax Pavans, Shans, Luke Skywalkers being popular names in the galaxy..we need to see more doubles. though.. I think this is not absurd but clever retcons.

and for those who like calculations... how often does a Jax Pavan marry a female Shan and they give birth to a Luke Skywalker? :p

14. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Adams county huh? I'm from Dauphin.

R_Zion likes this.
  15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    [​IMG]
    *had to leave this here*

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I MISS YOU HOLONETNEWS!!!!:_|

17. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    6. Jax

7. Luke

8. Darth

9. Cos

10. Count

Grey1 likes this.
  18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I demand more characters named “Sharp keening at 85 cycles, followed by five atonal mandible clicks:D

19. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    wait why does it show a rodian in the picture and none of those names apply to them? especially the last one, that would be more like geonoshian?

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And that would be just the registered population- the actual population including visitors and unregistered residents is stated to be triple the 1 trillion figure.

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    First 4 could easily be Rodian names, #5 seems to be more of a pronunciation thing, as it would apparently just be a weeping sound followed by 5 click noises.

22. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    are there any rodian's with those names in the eu?

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    No, no, make it Avner Sunrider.

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Would it matter?

25. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Well, if there are so many Jax Pavan's, whose to say there aren't multiple Evan Piells in the Jedi Order, or multiple Adi Gallias? ;)