main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

8 Mile

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by TheRandomMenace, Nov 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Wow... let me say I was impressed. Yes, Eminem CAN act. And even though I am an Eminem fan, I was REALLY REALLY skeptical about his acting abilities. He actually has a demanding role that requires him to do everything from comedy to drama. This movie was awesome... I would encourage anyone to go see it who is 18 or older (it really isn't for kids). But it depicted hip-hop pretty accurately... and really offers outsiders of the community some insight as to what it's like from the inside. I could really relate to the struggles Em's character went through with freestyling stage fright... But anyways, if you're 18 or older and want to spend $7.50 on a current movie wisely... go see 8 MILE!!!

DJ edit: Locked per CR request. Please continue this discussion in the link provided by Krash on the second page. :)

2. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Yeah and it doesn't help that he ACTS like a white rapper trying to make it big just like himself doesn't it.

3. JediCandii

JediCandii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    Actually, you have to be 17. I really want to see it, but there is no way on God's green earth that my parents would let me see it. I know because my brother already asked.

4. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I've been dreading the news that 8 Mile will be the #1 movie at the box office :_|

I have no desire to see the movie...I strongly dislike anything to do with Eminem; although I'll give credit for his last 2 singles being somewhat creative.

As for his "acting abilities"...from what I've seen, this movie was custom-made to be a "non-biographical" biography of himself. As for how it depicted hip-hop pretty accurately...that may be true (again I haven't/will not see it) but what are they trying to say...what's the point?

One comparision that most be made (you're not going to like this Eric) is Britney Spears' movie "Crossroads." A story about a girl who goes on a road trip, and ends up auditioning for a recording contract. While the story was very basic (even predictible at times)...it never made any claims of being a very deep/serious drama. It was just a fun movie featuring a very famous pop-singer.

5. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Honestly... this movie is better than all you skeptics make it out to be. BY NO MEANS is it a Britney Spears "Crossroads." It IS entertaining, but it is not a "fun" movie. There were several things that everyone should see it for:
    1. Eminem, the man everyone loves to hate, as a Rudy-esque character... you WANT him to succeed, even if you don't like his music or his image...
    2. Contrary to the accusations that he is homophobic... he actually defends homosexuals in the movie.
    3. A well-written movie... except for the ending, it is not too predictable, and even the ending is not exactly predictable, especially if you are not familiar with hip-hop.
    4. The ending is ridiculous.
    5. Kim Bassinger in the most bizarre role she's ever played.

People should at least be willing to spend a few bucks when it comes out on video or DVD to watch it... it's at the very least that good, although I think it's worth seeing at the theaters.

6. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    to anyone not interested in seeing this movie: this is not a battle i do not think we can win. you're not going to change who eric "worships". end of story.

eric: you are far from the end-all-be-all of the hip-hop community. if i see "hip-hop community" in one of your posts again, i'm gonna slam my head into the computer screen. ya lack credibility man, so lay off that trip. some of us really don't really care about the movie. when people are ready to see it or have an interest, they'll see it.

for the record: i will be seeing the movie, but not from any recommendation. i heard a KSU alumnus give a very compelling speech about it at Kent last year and have been waiting for it's release ever since.

-b-

7. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    The University of Akron's paper gave it a D+. I didn't have time to read the article before class, I only had time to read "Geek Beat" :D

8. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Lemme say this for all you skeptics. I really, REALLY don't like rap. Eminem I could tolerate to a point, but as for hip-hop in general, I really saw no point for that music, nor any respect for it. Then a while ago, while watching the horrible MTV Video Music Awards on tv, I saw the trailer for 8 Mile. And I was kind of shocked, because it looked really good. And now the other day I finally got a chance to see it, and let me tell you, compared to most of the other movies out today, this one is the top dog of them all. Although it doesn't depict Eminem's life accurately, it is a very compelling story on how one's dream can be achieved through courage and beating the odds...and Eminem can act quite well, something I was also skeptical about. And this movie also gave me a whole new respect for the hip-hop community and culture as a whole. Although it has its profanities and sexual situations and such, every movie is bound to have that anyway, and besides, being in Detroit, on 8 Mile Rd, what did you expect? I really think Em did a good job in the movie, as well as Kim Basinger, she pulled off quite a strange role and did great with it. You all should at least give this movie a chance before you end up biting your tongues...cause I sure ended up biting mine. Definately worth seeing!

PS Yo BMack you seem pretty cranky, that time of the month or something? You should lay off of Eric, he's just giving his view on the movie...you got your thing, he's got his thing, you need to chill out and just let it be because *familyboard*ing about it isn't going to help any. So CHILL!

9. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
  10. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    What the *family board*? I got a 60%...Time to re-evaluate myself I think...

11. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    You're right Bmack... I lack credibility... considering I've only been MCing for 5 years now, and the fact that hip-hop is based upon rhythmic story telling of one's experiences, and the fact that I've stayed true to my roots (I don't rap about gangster *(family board)*, I rap about being a disgruntled suburbanite, which lends me credibility.) I'll let you know that on Friday I went to one of my residents' who is a black DJ, and freestyled with him a bit. Yeah, he was better than me, and it's not really an excuse, but I haven't had time to work on that aspect of rapping. Nevertheless, he told me that I was good. And a lot of other residents came to the room to watch us battle, and they said I did a hell of a lot better than they can. And after seeing this movie, I am now determined to utilize as much free time as I can practicing. If any of you played football and saw a movie like Rudy that inspired to work as hard as you can to become the greatest you can, then 8 Mile is the hip-hop movie analagous to that. So Bmack, step off, cuz you be trippin foo, fa sho! 8-}

12. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    While everyone has a right to their opinion, I think alot of what BMack said, as well as some of Eric's comments have some importance:

you're not going to change who eric "worships". end of story
    That was not my purpose, just sharing why I do not wish to see it. The question then becomes, can you, Random, Reborn, anyone (including myself) agree to respectfully disagree...and stay in neutral corners? My comments on why I don't care to see 8 Mile were based on what I saw in previews/commercials, and I'll leave it at that. Can fans of 8 Mile share their opinion, without attacking anyone else's "certain point of view?"

BY NO MEANS is it a Britney Spears "Crossroads." It IS entertaining, but it is not a "fun" movie
    I wasn't comparing the two movies for being "fun"...I was comparing them for the fact that they were both custom-made(and casted) to promote popular recording artists. Regradless of whether you (or myself) like the individual starring in the film, the fact is the movies are made as a marketing tool for that performer.

13. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    *family board)* random... "disgruntled suburbanite?" seriously, could we be a little more shallow?

ugh, the whole bloody idea of being a "disgruntled suburbanite"... what the *(family board)* does a suburbanite have to be disgruntled about? when was the last drive by in hudson? how many guys have ridden around stow on a bike shooting random people? when's the last time you didn't have a roof over your head, food on your plate? look at real issues. people are starving, people are being murdered, people are being abused, and children are growing up beaten by family members.

can we think about addressing real issues about the safety and well being of others in this country before we worry about "i'm just not happy"? *(family board)* so Banana Republic ran out of khakis! is that any *(family board)* reason to write a *(family board)* song or verse or freestyle? think about what's important.

one thing that is important. family and friends: i don't want to sound completely and totally insensitive (too late, i know) but family and friends die. suck it up. if you want reference, here's my story. i don't even think krash knows this one.

i had three of my best friends in high school commit suicide. there were two of us at one guy's house when he did it. i don't talk about it at all. it's done, i handled my grief, remember good times, and move on. yeah, i get bummed now and then or i get down but sometimes, thinking about what they would do helps me get through rough times. that's the way they'd want it. pardon my possibly over-simplistic outlook on this, but i got to the point where i had a 9mm barrel in my mouth and the hammer cocked back. friends that i didn't even know were coming over that day stopped me. so i've been down at rock friggin bottom... but i pulled my own *(family board)* together and moved on. is it easy? no. not in the least. i did it anyways.

there's my dirty laundry. i had tough *(family board)* go on, and i'm not a "disgruntled suburbanite." so, if you want me to understand where you're coming from and how you're "disgruntled," all i know is that you lost your mom. and yes, that sucks... that tragic. and there is no sarcasm there. please, help me understand. that's all i ask. that, and don't turn it into a *(family board)* waving contest.

-b-

14. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    I don't rap about there not being an extra pair of khakis B... And yes, I do rap about my household, and yes, it is tough not having my mom anymore, but it still a legitimate hardship that I have had to endure and can put into lyrical form. I'm not saying every household hasn't had their share of fighting, but my family was on the brink of civil war... things still aren't totally cool among us, and I don't know if they ever will be. Besides, I rap about larger issues at hand to, and I try to implement sarcasm into my lyrics too. And I didn't even mention the "science fiction" aspect either... anyone who listens to the Beastie Boys will know what I mean (tracks like Intergalactic). As an artist one needs to grow and be receptive to various issues, otherwise they become pigeonholed and mundane, and thus fall off the charts. All I'm saying is, have you even heard any of my material? No. I don't think you can judge something you haven't heard yet. And as for the disgruntled suburbanite thing... there was this little incident in Colombine a few years ago, if my memory serves me correctly... and when I rap about feeling like those people involved, I don't say I'm going to do *(family board)* like that, but merely that I feel like doing it. I LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE... THAT'S WHAT HIP-HOP DOES.

15. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    20%...how the FRELL did I score THAT high? There were some questions where I had to guess what they meant. Yo-yo :D

Seriously, everyone needs to relax (I almost said "chill" but that just made me sound even more white) Random is into the whole hip-hop thing...that's fine (as long as he doesn't get carried away with it.) Your friend "baggy-pants"...that's my definition of "carried away."

I LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE... THAT'S WHAT HIP-HOP DOES. (sorry for the excessive quoting today...had to be done)
    Looking at the larger picture in life is never a bad thing. But alot of rappers who are commenting on the "big picture" of life (be it urban or sub-urban) are never heard because alot of their message gets lost in the presentation.

Ice-T may have had legitimate complaints about modern law-enforcement in today's society...but it all got lost when he went around shouting "cop-killer." Likewise, Eminem may have some very deep things to say about his life/experiences (as you seem to do with your rapping...on a smaller scale) but to the outsider, the meaning has been lost in his ANGRY IMAGE. Nobody is going to listen to someone who they think wants nothing but to rip your head off, spouting "family board" language like it's nothing.

So while both you guys have a right to your ideas, remember..."many of the truths we cling to, depend greatly on OUR OWN point of view." And part of looking at THE BIG PICTURE involves trying to see things from the opposing side as well.

16. Darth-Zod

Darth-Zod Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    Britney is cute.

17. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    that helps me... thank you... except for two issues.

last time i checked, columbine was news because it differed from the norm. those kids needed psychological help or therapy. kids in the inner city need a hell of a lot more opportunities like what kids in suburbia get. we don't hear about urban weapons violations or shootings because they aren't news. we almost expect them to happen.

and if hip-hop looks at the big picture, why do most of the big names rap about prolonging violence resulting from social issues and not changing the issue at hand?

on a lighter note, i hope you do your own programming. if not, musicians can be a friggin drag. when i was in a band a while back, our vocalist sounded just as idealistic as you. talked a lot about "the artist" and his job. the guys who just played the music, me included, were always like "whatever dude, we do this for fun." if i had it to do over again, i just don't know where i'd be... live and learn.

18. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Issue 1: Who says I don't need psychological help or therapy? 8-} And as for kids in the inner city not having the same opportunities as suburbanites, there is truth to this, but it goes both ways. When have we ever had a United Caucasian College Fund? I know white people who haven't gone to college because they couldn't afford it and simply because of this fact. When I was a senior in high school, we had an awards ceremony towards the end of the year. Traditionally, at this ceremony, our school recognizes the scholarships the seniors have received from the various colleges they have applied to, with the amount of money included. I am pretty sure that out of all of the black students in my class, only ONE received a scholarship based on MERIT as opposed to the color of her skin. Every other black student received a scholarship because he or she was black. I'm not racist at all... I don't think I would be doing what is considered "black music" if I was, but it's a double-edged sword. And you don't know the flack I've gotten from black people when they know that I rap... yet I'm the *(family board)* racist. I'm cool with anyone just as long as they're cool with me...

Issue 2: there is this little organization that I'm not sure you are aware of... The Hip-Hop Summit. Started by Russell Simmons, one of the founding fathers of rap, the summit seeks to peacefully bring social issues into light, and do their part to help. In fact, the summit had a big role in providing support in NY after September 11. But no one ever talks about that because they wouldn't sell as many newspapers as if they wrote how Pac or B.I.G. or Jam Master Jay just got shot up. Everyone would rather focus on the commercial, because that sells... while those in the HIP-HOP COMMUNITY are aware of the other issues at hand as well. And often times rappers contradict themselves on albums... one song will often conflict with another on the same album based upon how the MC was feeling when he wrote the song. That's why you CAN hear Tupac rap about how the violence needs to stop in one song, then hear how he's busting caps in someone in another. One day he was probably disgusted by the violence... another he was in a really bad mood and needed to release his frustrations.

As for my music... I mostly will human beatbox something, or a friend of mine will send me a beat to rap to, or I'll use an instrumental version of an already well known song. Hopefully I will get the time to put a demo together and send it to a record company, and that aspect will all change... And while I do write to write catchy, commercial lyrics that I think will sound aesthetically pleasing, my main priority is having fun doing it. I tried it out because it fascinated me, but after I started sharing my stuff after a while, people told me I was good at it, and that feeling of recognition was so great that I became hooked, and I've been doing it ever since.

19. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    A few words here?

1) Using *family forum* more than occasionaly is not going to fly, ESPECIALLY if you are directing ?hidden? swears at people. A personal attack is a personal attack is a personal attack. As a general rule, substituting characters or symbols to alter naughty language is not allowed. I don't want to try to count how many times it has been done in this thread.

2) Links to objectionable material are not allowed. PERIOD.

3) Keep it friendly everyone, please. I don?t know any of you personally, and I can?t tell if you are still on good terms with each other or not. I?m going to keep an eye on this thread and others to make sure everyone keeps their temper down.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me...thanks!

~H~

20. Padawan92

Jan 22, 2001
    See look what you guys have done. Now we are being yelled AT!!!!!!!

Listen all I have to say is this. We all are critics to ALL movies no matter what it is. If one person likes it or not should be their OPINION NOTHING MORE!

Furthermore if you want to act big and big any why else that's fine, but try not to go OVERBOARD with it. I'm not here to judge or be judge and I hope I'm not if you do then you have to look closer to yourself.

AND IF ANYONE QUOTES ME... /edit/

DJ edit: threatening violence (even in jest) is not very friendly. Unless, of course, you are talking abut ewoks.

21. Darth-Zod

Darth-Zod Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    Gees, where did this gal come from? You all are always getting us in trouble.

I can?t tell if you are still on good terms or not...

Does this mean we are the black sheep of the TF.N fan force. :confused:

22. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Does this mean we are the black sheep of the TF.N fan force.

Not at all :)

My comment was to point out that members of your group know each other very well, and it's possible that no one is or has been offended/insulted by anything posted here. I've edited my post to clarify.

If anyone feels that they have been singled out or that this debate has gone too personal, please let me know.

~H~

23. Padawan92

Jan 22, 2001
    Sorry I didn't mean to be threating it's just people have to repeat after me PARATHRASE!!!!!!!!!

24. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    For the record, while I did drop a few expletives, I never directed any towards Brian or anyone in the JKOC... I simply used them as part of an actual phrase, gangster you know the rest, and as an emphasis on my anger for those people who consider me racist, (which I am not directing towards anyone here, seeing as we've never talked about racism before). I am cool with everyone in here... even Brian, although he does like arguing with me, and I think sometimes intentionally plays Devil's Advocate with me just for some good ol' fashion debating.

25. Padawan92

Jan 22, 2001
    It's not like we hate you, it's just what you mean and what comes out maybe different here, choose your words wisely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.