main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Better Continuity Between Prequels and the Original Trilogy

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Kyris Cavisek, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    While watching Episode III, I began to see the Tantive IV with Yoda, Obi Wan, and Bail Organa walking the halls that R2 and C-3P0 will escape from only one movie later, and I thought to myself. I wish this was what the whole prequel trilogy was like. So I have assembled some ideas that would make the Prequel trilogy resonate more with Original Trilogy fans.

1. Darth Maul
    He is equally as cool as Darth Vader, but they kill Maul in the first movie. Imagine if he was the Darth Vader of the Prequel Trilogy. He kills Qui Gon, fights Obi Wan, but escapes to fight another day. Obi Wan would not be bent on revenge but in Attack of the Clones, it would be personal. Anakin could act out wanting revenge for the death of Qui Gon. In Revenge of the Sith, he would finally be killed, either in place of Grevious or Dooku.

2, Naboo/Alderaan
    This wish is more for the people who have seen the saga in chronological order. What is the difference between Naboo and Alderaan in all reality? A peaceful planet with beautiful landscapes. Imagine if it was Alderaan that was one of the focal planets of the prequel trilogy. Yeah the gungans can live on the planet if you want, they are being blockaded. Granted you would have to have to explain where Palpatine, Padme, and Bail Organa fit in the Buracracy but it could be done. But every time you see Naboo imagine it is really Alderaan, it would make more sense that Leia goes to live there. When the Death Star finally blows Alderaan up, it would mean more to the viewer. It would mean as much to the viewer as it did to Leia, as opposed to "Woah, they blew up a planet? not cool"

3. Ships/Tantive IV
    Every Prequel episode it seems that Padme gets a new ship, and they lacked any personality. Lets continue down the Naboo is now Alderaan line. Padme is Queen of Alderaan, her ship could be the Tantive IV. Having that ship in the prequel trilogy that would be the equivalent of the Millenium Falcon would be brilliant. First off it would be nice to see the Rebel Blockade Runner actually run a blockade. Then, following the opening crawl of A New Hope we see the ship captured.

4. Bail Organa
    For someone who gets one of Anakin and Padme's kids, he is a background character in Episode 2, only coming to the forefront in the end of Episode 3 only to take Leia to Alderaan. Part of me wishes that he were around from the very beginning as Padme's mentor in Episode 1 as Anakin had Obi Wan and Palpatine

5. Dooku
    Following the Darth Maul is still the Sith Apprentice. He could be the Shadow Sepratist puppet master as opposed to Sidious/Palpatine. Dooku could have been a Jedi who simply gotten too involved in politics and did discover the Sith in power in the Republic and believing the Jedi should leave the establishment. Yeah he could fight against Obi Wan and Anakin, but having Jedi fighting Jedi over belief only teaming up to fight Maul or whomever would be interesting.

6. The Vader Suit/Grevious
    Grevious appears only in Revenge of the Sith as a threshold villian for Obi Wan to fight later in the movie. His cybernetic suit was supposed to be the prototype for Vader's suit. Either one of two things needed to happen with his character. 1. Replace Grevious with Maul, have Maul's legs chopped up and give him the cybernetic legs seen in TCW, maybe even a resperator like Grevious's. Option 2. EU backstory says that Grevious fought in the Battle on Geonosis. Show it. Have some Jedi fight him and lose, maybe Ki Adi Mundi Kit Fisto and Mace Windu can force him to retreat. Then when he appears you understand, that is Grevious he was in the last one.

7. Other
    Then there is the whole usual Jar Jar sucks, Anakin is way to young in Episode 1 then hits a growth spirt into Hayden Christensen while Padme is still Natalie Portman

Thoughts anyone?

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I've been saying as much for years.:) But Kenobi or Anakin needs to kill him.

And I would have had Maul losing limbs and Sidious perfecting how to "save the one's he loved" by keeping Maul alive with mechno-enhancements etc. No need for the droid moron whatsoever and once Maul dies, Dooku can step in as the replacement until Mace kills him... only to discover he wasn't the Master.;)

3. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Thank you for your agreement

4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Re: Alderaan as Naboo - I remember this being discussed before. Most people thought it would be another case of making the universe smaller. So I'm ok with that, but I do wish Bail was featured more prominently. Heck, make him the Senator of the PT and Padme maybe his assistant or his wife's handmaiden (more believable than being a Queen or a Senator at such a young age).

5. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 1999
    I agree wholeheartedly with the Bail comments. With better foresight, the actor should have been cast right from the beginning so the character could have played a larger role. Bail's appearance in TPM was cut completely.

While he didn't need to have a huge role in TPM, I thought he could have been played up to be a political rival to Palpatine in the Senate, especially since he was in the running to be Supreme Chancellor. Would have given more weight to he destruction of Alderran in he OT, a bit of revenge from the Emperor.

Also thought they should have kept some of the deleted scenes with Mon Mothma and the core Senators who were already plotting the early stages of the Rebellion.

6. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    That was Bail Antilles, not Organa (confusing, I know - should have been him).

Order66Survivor likes this.
  7. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Sorry to dissapoint you, but the CR90 corvette we see in ROTS is not the Tantive IV. It's a different ship called the Sundered Heart.

CoolyFett and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  8. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Ok well the point remains the same, it could have been the Tantive IV

9. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Brilliant. =D=

Love these ideas -had some of the same for years! I've always said that Naboo should have been Alderaan. Then we would have really cared when it got blown up!

Another I would throw in would be the rule of 3 instead of the rule of 2! In the originals Palpatine and Vader are trying to recruit Luke... A sith master, a sith lord and a sith apprentice. For the prequels it could have been Palpatine (Master) Dooku (lord) and Maul (apprentice)

10. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    What?!! That is actually disappointing. I thought it was cool Ep 3 had what I thought was the Tantive IV. :(

11. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 1999
    Yes, you're right, it is Antilles getting the nomination. I believe the character was originally supposed to be Organa, till he was dropped from an earlier scene.

Adrian Dunbar was to play Organa and had lines to second Padme 's call for a vote of no confidence in the Senate. His scene was cut, thus I believe the name was changed to eliminate any reference to Organa. There are published pictures of Dunbar in character identified as both Organa and Antilles.

At any rate, I believe Organa should have been featured in TPM.

12. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    As it turned out, they tried to recruit Luke against each other. So the rule of the two was in place to prevent exactly this from happening: when two gang up against one. Darth Bane must have know that without it the Sith would be too mired in trying to backstab each other to be effective in continuing the Sith tradition.

DarthRelaxus and Order66Survivor like this.
  13. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    I know. It's so weird, electing 14 year olds as queens. Seriously? What's the POINT?

14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    It is the Tantive IV, because I won't let some LFL animators tell me the story hasn't come full circle on the basis of a different model in a disrespectful cartoon. George Lucas himself clearly intend for it to be the same ship, the corridors looks the same to me for a reason, and my copy of the RotS novelization says its the Tantive IV, so it should be and will always be the Tantive IV.

15. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I think that retcon sundered a lot of fans' hearts.

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I haven't even seen anyone else seriously question that retcon. Everyone seems to take John Knoll's statement on the Corellian corvette model from RotS as all of the justification they need to question the Tantive IV ever being in RotS in first place, and accept the retcon without even a second thought.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    There's also the fact that the ROTS ship does not look like the Tantive.

CoolyFett and Darth__Lobot like this.
  18. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    They had a reasonable explanation for the difference in appearance, the ship from RotS was a different, older model, a CR70 corvette, that had later undergone a Vanguard c20 refit during the Dark Times to become the ship from ANH, a CR90 corvette, but no, TCW can do whatever the heck they want it to do, no matter the consequences.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  19. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    they partially fixed the whole Organa-Antilles thing by having Bail marry Antilles sister, i think.

20. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    As much as I would love it to be the Tantive IV, they do not look the same. However, I'm willing to accept the idea that it was upgraded/worked on during the Dark Times, as I cannot stand the retcons TCW are bringing in.

DarthRelaxus and Zeta1127 like this.
  21. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Whether it's exactly the same ship or not is kind of irrelevant because it does remind of Tantive IV and it's obviously intentional

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  22. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    But what if it was THE ship associated with the preqeul trilogy...

23. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Then you run into the "universe too small" argument...

24. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Who argues the Galaxy too small? I like a small universe. I want a Jedi order under 50 members where we know every single Jedi (except the ones that are to be cut down to show the Jedi are lossing). Right now there is a total of like 20 planets in the movies and another 10 referenced.

25. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    By "too small" I mean too many connections. We already have Tatooine as a home world of both Luke and Anakin. And yes, I want to see more planets - the Galaxy is supposed to be huge.