main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Better Continuity Between Prequels and the Original Trilogy

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Kyris Cavisek, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah but planets like Tatooine and Kashykk are the Swing States of the Star Wars Electoral College. Everyone knows that Corellia is the Ohio

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't see what good that does. Isn't having Bail Antilles and Bail Organa as separate characters enough?

3. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Combined with the fact that Wedge Antilles is from a different Antilles family than that of the Alderaanian one. That last name must be the Smith of it's universe

4. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    and considering its Corellian.....

5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Perhaps Bail and Raymus Antilles of Alderaan are half Corellians?

6. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Maybe Lucas was trying to create a different society with different culture? Naboo is so peaceful and civilized, they can have young girls as queens. Maybe they have mostly ceremonial roles, like present day constitutional monarchs.

Valiowk likes this.
  7. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    Agreed. And I think that innocence comes into play here as well. TPM shows the innocence of Anakin, but I also think it shows the innocence of Padme by having her be SUCH a young queen and not being corrupted as she became older. I don't think it would have served her well to be Bail's assistant or something like that because they wanted to show her in a position of power and intelligence. Afterall, Leia is her daughter and I think Lucas wanted to create a symmetry that we observed with Leia in the OT. While it is a little weird to have a young ruler of an entire planet, I think the focus was to show a younger version of Leia, thus creating another connection between the PT and the OT with a strong female character.

Valiowk and thesevegetables like this.
  8. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    =D=

9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    So... you want Leia "hidden" in full view, as princess of Alderaan, the same planet where her mother was queen?

I get hiding baby Luke on Tatooine; it's a backwards planet without real government that nobody cares about or pays attention to. But hiding baby Leia on her mom's home planet doesn't strike me as plausible at all.

-NaTaLie- likes this.
  10. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Good point.

11. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    True, but hidden in plain sight. There is a junior reader novel where Vader visits Bail Organa and Ferus Olin has to hide the young Leia. There is always that approach.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I recall Breha doing something similar in Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.

13. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Plus, it isn't like you see Vader hanging out on Naboo following Padme's death. If it were alderaan, nothing would change

14. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Still, too many coincidences in ANH: first, it's his home planet, next his wife's planet...

I wouldn't mind if Alderaan was featured in AOTC instead of Naboo, however. It didn't make much sense, to hide the senator from the assassins on her own planet. And they cut her family scenes anyway.

SaberJedi2 and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  15. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    That works, Bail Organa was in AotC. They could have had him offer her safe haven on his peaceful planet instead of hers...

16. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Kyris Cavisek: I was going to respond to your initial post in-depth, but decided against it (mainly because I'm tired and it would take a long time to do so), so all I'm going to say is that, although your line of thought makes for interesting reading, many of the things you suggest would either not make sense or are completely superfluous. Your ideas also demonstrate an ignorance of sorts when it comes to storytelling, in that a given story does not have to feature a whole bunch of repeating/directly linked ideas, elements, or specific details in order for there to be continuity between various installments of said story.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think that's a cool idea but, if it's true and you think about it, when the Trade Federation blocked Naboo Padme went completely off the reservation and mad with power, going against the wishes of her Senate representative and basically engaging in an act of war.

Nute Gunray Was Right!!

18. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    While I respect that opinon, my focus is not for people who watched it 456, 123 as I have, and I am sure you have. But rather the viewers who viewed it 123,456. Many kids are thrilled by the CGI of the prequel trilogy, and don't like the OT due to fact it was made in the 70's and 80's

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    And also due to the fact that they have no taste.

Darth__Lobot and KilroyMcFadden like this.
  20. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    While this is probably true, the thing the OT has going for it is realism and a closer line to an Epic story than that of Anakin's tragic story. R2 and 3P0 should be able to carry them through EP IV, plus you get Chewie and Vader, these characters have to pull them through IV, until they care about the characters in OT

21. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Even looking at things from that perspective, I don't see any reason to make very many of the changes you suggested.

If I were going to redo the Saga to create a greater sense of continuity, I'd alter the tonal structure of the Prequels, not specific story details or elements, since the story of the Saga, as presented, actually works fine. Although I personally enjoy the tonal structure of the PT as-is, if I were redoing things from scratch I think I would try to structure the story of the PT, particularly The Phantom Menace, so that there was more of a balance between the political thriller genre elements and the swashbuckling action adventutre genre elements.

22. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I realize none of this will ever come to pass, just my thoughts. It is also the reason why 3, is my favorite of the PT. Because it seems the most like the original trilogy. I agree that the saga work fine as is. I was just thinking of things for Lucas to remaster in the PT, if he still has the power to do that...

23. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    You bring up some great points. I have stated many of these over the years but you brought a few more into the light that I really like.

1. Darth Maul - totally agree that it would have been stellar to have him be the main Sith Lord for the first two movies. He can die at the middle of II. Have Dooku as a noble, but disgruntled Jedi who is turned over the course of Episode II to the Dark Side. A premonition to what is to come in III. By the end, he takes Sidious' side as a Sith Lord and leader of the Sep. Army. It would have been a nice emotional ride seeing Dooku twisted by the Dark Side and becoming evil. With such an incredible actor as Christopher Lee, it could have been accomplished with such style.

2. Grevious - I feel that this was a throwaway character that could have been great. He is just too cowardly and inept. Having him being more of a badass and showing him being put into a cybernetic suit would have been great and foreshadowed the Anakin transformation physically.

3. Showing Alderran would have been a great way to connect the PT and the OT.

24. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    To a point they do show Alderran in the PT. However, the point on Dooku was missed. He doesn't need to be a fallen Jedi, but rather a Jedi who does not stand for the republic. Due to his views, he is forced to fight Obi Wan and Anakin. He would die in the end, aiding the other Jedi but still against the Republic. Good but on the other side

whostheBossk likes this.
  25. BoomBach

BoomBach Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2012
    I always thought an interesting thing for the prequels would be for the FIRST one to start with Kenobi and Anakin as they were in the third. More equals than anything, then in the second Anakin gets darker and by the third when Anakin turns it would just be heart wrenching to watch the duel fight it out.

Darth__Lobot likes this.