main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Better Continuity Between Prequels and the Original Trilogy

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Kyris Cavisek, Nov 13, 2012.

1. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Yes. It's the combination that makes a person with sugar and spice and all that is nice to turn into the evil spice girls, I mean Power Puff Girls. The wrong recipe can turn a lightsaber user into a "Pretend Sith." We can all pretend that Grevious was a sith in a very limited way.

2. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I remember Bib Fortuna would have appeared in the senate. Would've been neat, but would've been confusing as well since he was seen not long before on Tatooine.

3. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    I think your point about Maul reveals one of the biggest flaws of the PT. I'm fine with Naboo instead of Alderaan, young Anakin, even no big role for Bail Organa, but a good movie series needs a consistent villain. Maul, Dooku, and Greivous were all great villains in their own right, but we never got to know any of them in the films. I like them and know their personalities well because I watch TCW (which has greatly improved my appreciation of the PT) and have read the novels, but its hard for the average film-goer to view any of the villains as interesting characters without much development.

Anyway, it is what it is. I have to keep reminding myself that it is pointless to argue about what should be in the prequels, because how they are is how they will be. And no amount of fan editing can keep Maul in AOTC and ROTS.

4. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I think the point was that they were all secondary to Sidious. He was the one in command, and it ultimately lead to him going through a few disposable apprentices before he finally turned Anakin.

Valiowk likes this.
  5. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    True, however wouldnt it be funny to see a completely competent Darth Maul running around and having Palpatine trying to kill him off so that he can seduce Anakin to the darkside, knowing how powerful he is, but Maul is too competent to die.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  6. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    No, but the movies also did nothing to explain what the Sith are other than the few facts we get. Honestly I don't care whether anyone has the technical title. If skull-bot didn't fit into the Sith category though, its just another reason he's super lame.

7. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    Exactly. Dooku came the closests to having a semi-interesting backstory, but it wasn't told very well. Would have been cool to see Dooku in Ep 1 in place of the Sidious hologram, and be commanding Maul around. That way Palpatine remains more mysterious. But...I'm not sure if there is any saving Ep 1.

The thing that kills me the MOST is that Maul was ripe for some awesome Sith exposition. When he meets the two Jedi, I would have loved to hear some conversations going on. But instead, as soon as they saw one another, it was mouths shut, lightsabers on, and the rest is just fighting.

whostheBossk likes this.
  8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It's called Star Wars, not Star Conversations.

9. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I've heard this complaint about the DOTF being without the dialogue before and I never understood why it's such a big deal. They don't have any history, what would they talk about? This duel represents the clash of philosophies - you don't need them to talk, you can see it in the body language, including things like Qui-Gon's meditation vs. Maul's menacing prowling and Obi-Wan's impatience.

I suspect it's one of those expectations people bring from the OT. Since OT only has duels between people related to each other they expect the same in the PT. As it turns out, it's the only impersonal fight we actually get to see and it's one of the things that makes it unique.

10. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Given that even GL calls himself "a king of wooden dialogue", I'd say silence is golden :p

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  11. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2010
    Darth Maul couldn't have appeared more than he did. He is so popular because he appears rarely, says little, and is mysterious. Like Boba Fett in the original trilogy.

Darth Maul is simply a henchman role. He has no storyline of his own, he's just there for two action scenes.

Also, as fantastic as Ray Park is at fight scenes, he's no actor. He was dubbed, after all.

12. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Then we would need a rule of 3 if they were all living... and all sith

13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    The PT HAD a main villain . . . Palpatine. He was more consistent as a villain in this trilogy than he was in the OT. In fact, there is no consistent villain in the OT. Lucas kept changing them in the saga. In ANH, Vader wasn't even calling the shots. Tarkin was. And it was Tarkin who committed the worst act . . . the destruction of Alderaan. Vader more or less served as the main villain in ESB. By ROTJ, Vader was slowly transforming into some kind of anti-hero, while Palpatine openly became the main villain for the first time. And Jabba the Hutt's appearance was only in the movie's first half.

If you're going to complain about the lack of backstory for the villains in the PT, you might as well make the same complaint in the OT. Even when Vader was revealed as Luke and Leia's father in ESB, audiences never learn about his backstory until the PT. One can say the same about both Palpatine or Boba Fett . . . on a more limited basis. We never learn anything about Jabba or Tarkin.

Valiowk, Zeta1127 and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    No argument from me on all three of those...

15. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Number 2 can be explained by the extreme natural ability with the Force (was it really 1000 mph?). The others too, but it's a bit of a stretch.

16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    It was fairly obvious to me that he was guided by the Force in his destruction of the droid control ship.

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    "Little Ani" always seemed to just "button-mash" in order to get things to work... never seemed like the force was his ally at all.;)
    I think an older Anakin would have been better for the story.

Nothing against Jake at all... just saying story wise, that I would have preferred a teenager.

18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

As I said earlier, it's vital to Ani's character arc that he leaves his mother at a young age.

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    No need to spoon-feed me his departure, I didn't need to see it.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  20. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I agree. Anakin should have been played by the same actor, just for the sake of consistency.

21. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    The randomness makes it seem more like actual history. If it's too consistent, then it's just a story.

Valiowk likes this.
  22. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    According to "Darth Plagueis" there were three of them at once, even if Plagueis didn't consider Maul to be in their club. But at least Sidious and Maul did.

23. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

That's your excuse? Then how do you explain a 19 year-old boy, with no formal training as a military pilot, flying like an experienced one within a day or two after leaving his uncle's farm?

This is the extent of your criticism? I thought it would be more substantial than this.

24. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012

...at all!

25. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    That's why it's boring.

Maul had a philosophy? He says two words in the whole movie. Can "REVENGE!!!!!!!!" really be considered a philosophy?

Obi-Wan and Anakin had no history with Dooku either, making that fight even more boring. At least the TPM battle looked pretty.