main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A discussion on the moral themes of the Indiana Jones films.

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Captain_Typho, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    One thing I've always loved about each of the four Indy movies is each has it's own moral message or theme to the movie.

In Raiders, the key theme of the film was "Don't mess with God". It shows the enormous consequences of meddling in God's business at the end of the film.

In Temple of Doom, it's about doing what's right over choosing fortune and glory. I think the key moment of this film is when Indy gets his hands on the stones, and then hears the children being whipped off in the distance, and he chooses to do what's right rather than pursue the fortune and glory.

In Last Crusade, it's about having faith, no matter what obstacles come in your way, even in the face of the seemingly impossible.

And in Crystal Skull, it's about the pursuit of knowledge, and using the knowledge you obtain responsibly, and for good ends. Knowledge is a gift, and we are to use it for good, and there are consequences when we use it for evil.

2. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

That's an excellent and concise summation of the moral themes of the 4 films.

=D=

3. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    Brilliantly said.

I'm going to go watch the movies now!

4. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
  5. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000
    You nailed it on all three films. Excellent analysis. It's always nice when popcorn movies have deeper themes.

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I wanted to comment on this sooner, but it completely slipped my mind.

Like others have said already, excellent analysis of the films, Typho. You hit the nail on the head with every one and it's something that is easily overlooked - especially with the Indy films being said to be just 'action flicks.'

7. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000

Well said my friend.

8. Prequel_Dreamer

Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2004
    I disagree. I think Last Crusade is about the value of family. It's about deciding what's really important in your life. Henry Jones spent decades of his life chasing the hollow dreams of eternal life that the Holy Grail offered and in doing so neglected his wife and son costing him the important things that life is really about. In turning his back on the Grail and embracing his son with his chosen name of Indiana Henry Jones truly discovered what was really important to him. His son. Indy was all the fortune and glory that Professor Jones really needed.

9. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    Prequel Dreamer, that was nicely written and it's true. That's especially true about Henry urging Indy to "let go" of the Grail. As we all know, that's the first time he calls him "Indiana" in the film, and it's a precious moment.

Yet I would also have to agree with Captain Typho. The Leap of Faith sequence is awesome, a physical representation of the mental leap people have to make in their minds when they decide to take action "on faith."

The Indiana Jones films are rich in symbolism and subtext that I love for action films.
    :) It makes them more entertainingly nutritious. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.