main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA A Little Help Please

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by jedichef1, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    So my wife and I have just started the application process to emmigrate to WA, just wondering where around the perth area is the best place to look for jobs and places to live?

Bearing in mind I am a chef, but curently work in admin for the Govt, and the wife is a policy officer for the local govt.

Any advice would be warmly recieved.

Thanks,

Darren

2. Master_Kaustin

Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    http://www.seek.com.au would be the best place to find a job, just select perth!...

Depending on where you wanna live, whether close to the city or not...

Suburbs around the city....

Tuart Hill, Mt Lawley, Victoria Park, East Victoria Park, South Perth, Como, Belmont, Subiaco, Maylands...

Check out http://www.realestate.com.au and check out the rentals...

3. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    As far as chef work goes, I don't know that any particular location would be stand out as a better choice since there's quite a few locationa around Perth that have a lot of Restaurants. Apart from Perth itself, South Perth, Subiaco and Fremantle are all suburbs that are known for having a lot of good restaurants. There's also quite a few restaurants along the beach in various locations if that tickles your fancy. Mostly depends on availability of jobs I guess so try Seek as suggested. You could also try the jobs section of http://thewest.com.au/ which is the website for the state's main newspaper. Wednesday and Saturday are usually their big days for employment listings.
    Where abouts are you moving from just out of interest?

4. jedichef1

Aug 17, 2004
    Thanks for the advice, just for clarity we are moving from the UK and hope to be in OZ by the turn of the new year.

5. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    You come, I go..... Turn of the year I'm packing and moving interstate.

6. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Don't take it personally jedichef1 ! ;)

7. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    jedichef1, one thing I would like to mention is that you'll probably find the public transport system from outlying suburbs a rude shock compared with those in England. This might be a function of lower population, but I had a grin from ear to ear navigating the London Underground while we were there...basically the thing to bear in mind about Perth is that not a lot is really within walking distance of where most folks seem to live; it's the sort of place where you generally need a car to get around unless you're close to main roads.

8. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Not exactly. Knowing the transport system well, you can always find a bus in the right area. Perhaps a short walking distance away from a bus stop. It all depends on which suburb you're looking at. The closer to the city, the better the chance of finding something. For example, I live in an area where there's a bus to the city every 15 minutes, and the stop is about 5 minutes from my house. Those quiet areas of Perth, it may be 30 minutes wait time.

Transperth's website is the best place to learn what bus/train routes are available.

9. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Ha! You're coming to us, I'm going to you's.
    Fair trade ;)

10. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Perth's a pretty spread out city for it's size so some areas may not be serviced so well. It covers the same area as a lot of cities that have much larger populations. After living in a couple of other Australian cities though, I think our transport system's pretty good. In Sydney for example, their train service is not bad but their bus service is woeful. Or at least it was before the olympics, though I think a lot of money was poured in to improving things for that. I think it also compares pretty well to public transport in other cities like Canberra and Adelaide.

11. jedichef1

Aug 17, 2004
    Again thanks for all the info, the wife quite likes the look of mandurah, I forgot to mention we spent a few days in perth in nov so we looked all we could during our vacation. Just thought id get some good answers and info here...

And I was right :D

And for all those going in the opposite direction

WHY????????????????

12. sithmastersimon

sithmastersimon Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    Coz theyre abandoning us :(

13. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm leaving for personal reasons. You know, change of scenery can do wonders to people's self esteem....

14. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    maybe thats whats wrong with everything... :-B

15. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    Actually, the smell got to me :p

16. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    Shadow ... you coming over to the UK mate?

17. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Wilkommen jedichef! Make sure you pop in here and say howdy once you're settled!

Mandurah is nice, but it's about an hour from Perth.

There's plenty of restaurants in Fremantle, Northbridge, Perth, and Subiaco (There's always a few dotted around the 'burbs too)

If you get a place around the train lines it might work out better for you until you get a car organised.

18. jedichef1

Aug 17, 2004
    I had looked at getting close to the railways, but it looks as though house prices would go up in mandurah now that the rail is going to go through there. Fremantle looks nice as well and we also looked at rockingham? because we were told there is lots of ex-pats there to help us settle in.

To be honest we just want to get there, and anywhere around those areas would do as long as i can get a job.

19. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Shadow ... you coming over to the UK mate?

June 25 I arrive in England. Pop into France for 2 days (against my wishes) June 30 I leave for Belfast (orange parade here I come). I stay for several weeks (maybe a month) then pop back into England for a week.

20. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    orange parade here I come

Marcher or spectator, ya Proddy B*****d?

:D :D :D

21. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Ah sod off ye feniean swine ye.
    HeHe, well considering I'm neither a Provvie, Rah supporter or a Ulster man I guess I'm just watching ;)
    HeHe, seriously though; I'm neither Catholic or Protestant so naturally the parade has bollocks all to do with me.
    Still, I'll be in Belfast and I'd be a fool not to watch. Er I mean film :) :)

22. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Dude, I know you're being funded by bumfights but that just takes the biscuit... :D :D :D

23. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Well think of it. Which news station (or Bumfights company) would NOT want to purchase highquality Prot vs Cath brawl footage, filmed by an experienced (not these tourist types) "combat" cameraman ;)
    Besides any excuse to film a brawl for slow motion review on my large screen TV, purchased after selling the footage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.