main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Question about colleges

Discussion in 'Archive: Connecticut' started by Darth-Seldon, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I recently applied to Fairfield and Quinnipiac, among other schools.
    I was just wondering if any of you liked/disliked or had any comments about either school.

Thanks
    Ed

2. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Sorry Seldon, but I don't know much about our local colleges. However I think they have websites. I didn't save my mail from them, otherwise I'd try to help ya out.

BTW: This area of the boards is depressingly inactive. You might want to try reposting in the northeast forum.

3. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Hey, I am a freshman at Fairfield U. I love it here, it's great, although we have a slight reputation for drinking, but if you live in the substance free floors (Campion) you will have plenty to do and you will meet many great people, well you will meet many great people regardless of where you live. There are many fun clubs to join and many good classes. It's great. :) If you have any questions about Fairfield in general don't be afraid to pm me or email me.

4. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Thanks, yeah it seemed like a good place when I went on the tour. I think drinking is really a problem no matter what school you go to.

I applied to
    Holy Cross
    Providence College
    Fairfield U
    American U
    Quinnipiac U
    and URI

I'm in at URI and will hear from the rest in the fall, and then make my decision.

Thanks
    Ed

5. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Holy Cross is also a good college, I would have applied there as well as Fairfield, but they did not have a nursing program, which Fairfield does.

6. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Fairfield has a very nice campus. Do they ever have shuttles to New Haven or New York. I was just wondering what academic and campus life were like. I would imagine that they have great classes.

-Seldon

7. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Fairfield U. does not have shuttles to New Haven or NYC, but their shuttles goes around campus and into the town of Fairfield quite regularly during the week. The town shuttle stops at various food, convience and clothing stores in Fairfield and comes back for the students usually about an hour later. The school does sponser trips to NYC. Usually these trips include dropping the students off someplace in NYC for a day of shopping once or twice every few months. They also have discounted Broadway tickets. You can buy a ticket to one of the shows they have during the semister (the tickets are usually $25 and you get transportation to and from NYC on one of the school buses, which are nice buses, I might add and a ticket). Some of the shows they are doing this year have been Wicked, The Lion King, Blue Man Group, Chicago, The Producers, etc. If you wanted to go to New Haven, it is only one stop away on the train. The town shuttle makes a stop at the train station usually once an hour. You can have a wide variety of chooses for classes, and times. Most of the teachers are more then willing to talk to you after class and during their office hours which most of them will state at the beginning of the semister. Many teachers will make outside appointments individually if a student can't make the office hours for academic or athletic reasons. There are also a wide selction of clubs ranging from honor societies for different majors to intermural sports to the student run television channel and radio station.

8. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Thanks for the information.

-Ed

9. EndorRebelScum

EndorRebelScum Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2004
    I live down the street from Quinnapiac. It has a beautiful campus. The great things - theres a state park across the street for relaxation and hiking, - It's right outside of New Haven, which has Toad's Place and other night clubs. -The Space in Hamden is a great place to check out. -It isn't too crowded. - Great Teachers, some I know personally who live on my street.

10. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Yeah, I loved the Quinnipiac campus and the state park. It seems like a great place for hiking. The only thing I didn't like about QU is that they only provide housing the first year and the other years it is a lottery. I really wanted to live on campus when in college.

-Seldon

11. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    With Fairfield, you have housing all four years with the option of living off campus if you want during senior year.

12. MonaLeia

MonaLeia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2003
    Hey! Don't know much about the colleges but I do know a bit about the area around Fairfield because that's where I grew up.

And I go to PC, which, I am aware, is not in CT, but if you have any questions, feel free to PM! :)

13. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I applied to PC as well.
    I grew up in Warwick. PC is known as a very good school and it seems like the campus is nice as well (despite being in the middle of the city.)

-Seldon

14. MonaLeia

Jan 13, 2003
    Yeah! I saw that! It's a beautiful campus and personally, I like the nearness to the city. When you're on campus, it feels like a nice campus but you are sooo close to Providence, which I love. Some of the surrounding areas are a bit... sketchy though. Fortunately, a lot of the cheaper housing is rented by college students. But yeah, the location is one of my favorite aspects of the school. I love Providence and I'm going to miss it when I graduate and go home!

15. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Thank You all for the help so far. It has been good to hear about the various schools. Today, I was accepted to Quinnipiac.

At this point, I'm probably more likely to attend QU than Fairfield. Quinnipiac has more of the programs that I'm looking for.

Thanks
    Ed

16. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Congrats on getting into college. :)

17. MonaLeia

Jan 13, 2003
    YAY! Congrats! It's a really good school! :D

18. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Thanks. I'll hear from Fairfield, PC, American and Holy Cross on April 1st. Then the decision has to be made.

-Seldon

19. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Good luck on all of the other colleges. :)

20. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Thanks, I should be fine with most of them.

-Seldon

21. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Thanks everyone for all the help thus far.
    The decision has become much more difficult.
    I've been accepted to American U (in DC), PC, Fairfield, Quinnipiac and URI. I'm still waiting for Holy Cross. The decision has become between AU, PC and HC.

Thank You for the help,
    Ed

22. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
  23. MonaLeia

Jan 13, 2003
    Congrats!! Good luck on making a good choice for you!

24. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Thank you.

I'm still trying to figure out where to go.
    They all have great things and bad things for me.

PC: Great reputation, nice campus, good location, excellent academics, just what I'm looking for. Except it is only 10-20 minutes away from home. Which to me is too close. It is also in a city which I know like the back of my hand. Which while being a plus, it also takes away from the sense of adventure.

American U: Right now I'm leaning to it. A great location, DC where everything is free (the museums) and exciting. I could work on capital hill. It has just what I'm looking for in terms of academics, a good reputation and a warmer climate. The downside is that it is 8 hours from home or an hour plane ride. Also a great financial aid package.

Quinnipiac U: A wonderful campus and good location. While they have an okay reputation, they haven't been around too long, and are sort of new at it. They also don't have housing the fourth year, which isn't good in my book.

I don't like Fairfield all that much and only applied for safety. However it is an excellent school. URI was also safety.

Thanks
    Seldon

25. EndorRebelScum

EndorRebelScum Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2004
    QU has been around for a long time. They're not new. They just gained Univ statut a couple years ago though. Plus, Hamden High (Where I go to School) has a huge amount of Star Wars fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.