main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire: Spoilers Allowed Discussion Thread (now with ADWD spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community' started by MarcusP2, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    How many pages do you think she will survive in ADWD?

We should start a death pool. People who think she'll live can gt*o; they're no fun.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think the more interesting question is what happens to the political leadership of the Seven Kingdoms. There won't be any, if things continue down their present course. On the other hand, staging a raid to rescue either (or both) queens would seem to set off a major conflict with the newly-militarized religious order. There aren't any more great generals on any side to make for a decisive confrontation, nor is anyone's fighting force in good condition. It seems were headed for another bout of civil war?

3. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Waiting for the new book to arrive in my Kindle. I've never pre-ordered a new book before. Is there a certain time it arrives, like midnight, or anytime tomorrow?

4. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I read that the e-books are available at midnight. I'll probably have the physical book in my own hands around 9:15am tomorrow. 22 hours...

As for character deaths, I predict Tyrion. It would be just like Martin to kill him off before he meets Daenerys.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Blimey Rolands back!:eek:

6. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    Shhh... I've been in the witness protection program for the past three years and only recently ventured out of my hut.

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
  8. Piltdown

May 3, 2002
    Pretty sure we're heading for Dany's attempt.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So. Apparently the mailroom has my copy now. I would ordinarily run down to get it, but as I don't plan on starting until Saturday, I'm in no rush.

10. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Oh, just go and get it. :p

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Why? I'm not going to read the hardcopy anyway, I'll be reading the kindle version. I still have 100 pages of AFFC and 80 pages of Mystery Knight to get through first.

But I guess I could post a picture of it and taunt you, or something. Perhaps that's worth braving the summer heat for. ;p

12. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    If my copy appeared suddenly on my Kindle, then I'd be posting the whole thing line by line for everyone to read.

One.

Word.

At.

A.

Time.

13. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Tantalized. :_|

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You people are probably just going to rush through it, aren't you? I don't understand. We've waited years for this, why finish it off so quickly?

The only thing that would make me want to hurry is that I'm sure I'd want to discuss what happened, and I guess that's probably not safe until I've finished.

15. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I don't know about rushing. That seems like such a bad word. But I am going to read it ravenously, with an extreme degree of enthusiasm. However, I will be stopping after each chapter to post my impressions here, where I think the story is going, what I think of new and developing characters, etc... I suppose I want a record of my thoughts during the first read, before I know how the book ends.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I have never considered pacing consciously before. I just read it as I enjoy it. If, on a particular free weekend afternoon, that means stealing several hours to read, and the narrative keeps me satisfied that long, I'll do it without hesitation. If that means a mere 10 pages before I set the book down to go do something else, I'll do that too. I don't understand how either the "go slow" or the "rush" camp really have any relevance to my enjoyment.

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Actually getting it the 14th.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Coruscant: Hm. I would be interested to hear peoples' thoughts as they go along. Do you think you could post the page number as you went along?

i.e. something like: (page 352) [highlight starts here]eddard, blah blah blah comments here[/highlight]

I'd definitely want to hear what people thought about chapters I've already read.

Wocky: Well, sure. I mean, I'll be on a long plane flight. I'll certainly spend a lot of that reading. But in the back of my mind, I'll be wanting to spread things out a little so I might find other things to do as well. I don't know how else to explain it. If I have other things to do, I'll do those first. Otherwise I'll finish way too quickly. My first time through ASOS, I think I finished it in two nights--even though it was monstrous. Of course, I also skipped Jon's chapters. :p

19. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I waited a sum total of 16 years from my first entry into Stephen King's Dark Tower stories until he finally reached the the seventh and (not quite) final book in 2003. This was with gaps between each book that could last years!

When I finally picked up my copy of the Dark Tower, I kind of didn't want to read it. I didn't want to get to the end and know that it was all finally over. The many ends and deaths within the novel were painful ordeals as I said goodbye to people I'd known long after my last high school friend disappeared. When I finished I found myself satisfied, yet feeling a little lost. I didn't know where to put my energies into next.

With this series, I have been lucky to come in very late in the game. I read the first four novels one after the other, finally finishing just about two weeks ago. The wait hasn't been so painful. I guess the good part is that we're not quite done as there are more books on the way. Right?

20. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    People who think she'll live can gt*o; they're no fun.

So you think Tommen and Myrcella are going to die in ADWD? Because we know Maggy the Frog ain't lying.

I'm kind of annoyed that Amazon hasn't shipped my copy yet. I don't know why, since I'm only 200 pages into re-reading AFFC.

Amazing.

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Am I the first to acquire my hard copy? It's satisfyingly heavy.

22. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I pre-ordered the Kindle version as well - can't wait for it to appear at midnight PST. :D :D :D

And I'll probably be one of those people 'rushing' through it too, if only because I am incapable of reading slowly to save my life. I'll likely end up rereading it a few times, which is good too.

23. Piltdown

May 3, 2002
    This is true.

24. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Eh, I've got my electronic copy which suits me fine for now.

25. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    My little boy was up this morning at 2 AM to play. I picked up my Kindle and was happy to find A Dance with Dragons all loaded and ready to go. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.