main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Tide of Discussion: the d20 ToF OOC thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Saintheart, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Here's the details on familiars generally. Maeghen is a magical animal, so assume the SRD hawk as the base for this. Hitpoints are half yours, BAB is yours, uses your base saving throw bonuses but uses its own CON/INT/WIS modifiers. You're 10th level, which means it gets a +5 to Natural Armor, but you're just short of Spell Resistance.

Cass ... as you know, up to this point I've done what I think is a common "thing" of more or less making familiars invisible and invulnerable during battles. Maeghen is pretty squishy in this sort of fight given the sort of numbers your opposition's been rolling. In particular bear in mind that even if if Maeghen is considered to have been sharing spells with William as per the rule on the subject, if he dives in from his position next to William to attack another target, most of those spells will end because he'll be more than five feet from William.

If you make her a tactical presence in this battle, and use her as a distraction like you're talking about, please, please be aware of the potential consequences to William if she falls in battle -- in mechanical and character terms. To be honest I don't know at this point what the consequences for William's character would be since we don't use XP as such, but it's going to be a commensurate blow if it happens. (Maeghen can, of course, be raised from the dead like any other character.)

2. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    Aha. Okay then. Yeah, I'm not gonna potentially screw things over for the sake of keeping a familiar involved.

3. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Okay, update's up and accords with all actions mentioned previously this week. Let me know if difficulties. Note the picture has been zoomed in a little bit, but everyone is still on the field. About the only changes in stats that wound up being made from last round were that William loses 9 hitpoints but gains his Greater Invisbility back :p, and Evelios takes another 7 in nonlethal damage from Words of Creation bringing his total to 17 nonlethal with 80 maximum.

4. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Skadi continues to bleed out on the floor with an 11. I don't think this is going to be an action-packed round. At least the tanglefoot bags wear off after this, I suppose.

5. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Yup: two round duration, so they wear off this time next round.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So I'll be away until the 21st in order to study. LightWarden has agreed to handle any actions Evelios needs to take while I'm gone.

See y'all then.

7. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Speaking of, what is happening this turn?

Ariel and Ragnar still can't charge, so if they want to attack someone they have to be within reach. Skadi is still bleeding out, Zanaek is finishing his summon, Corrath has already had her turn, which leaves Maz, William and Evelios. If Ariel and Ragnar aren't attacking, then there's no reason that Evelios should maintain his Words of Creation this round.

What do the enemies look like in terms of damage, and what's the status of non-confused enemies?

8. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Airel will be attacking. She does have an enemy rather close to her.

9. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    On Evelios maintaining Words of Creation, I might note it follows the same rules as normal Inspire Courage that if he stops using it, the song's effect still lingers on for five following rounds. Means Evelios stops taking nonlethal as well.

As to the enemies and their confusion, it might be best to refer to this with a quick copy of the map in here...

[​IMG]

Hoookay. So, from top of the map to the bottom:

- C -5: Looks injured to around half hitpoint total. Doesn't look confused, hasn't acted that way before now.
    - D -13: Babbling incoherently right now. Also looks injured to around half hitpoint total.
    - E -14: Babbling incoherently also. Not as badly injured as the previous two, but not minor scratches either.
    - G5: Screaming and yelling at Evelios, which seems likely a symptom of Confusion as he doesn't seem to have ranged weapons to hand. Really only looks to have had minor injuries.
    - H5: Also screaming and yelling at Evelios as with the one at G5, so also likely Confused. Looks around half hitpoint-scale injuries.
    - I -14: Babbling incoherently. Looks to be around half hitpoint injuries.
    - I -9: Doesn't look confused, hasn't acted that way prior to now. Looks to be minor injuries.
    - J -14: He was chopping at the hobgoblin at I -14 last anyone looked, so probably confused. Minor injuries only.
    - L -13: Doesn't look confused, hasn't acted that way before now. Say around half hitpoint injuries.

In passing, Ragnar I think will go for the closest unconfused target, so a move to C -6 or so and attack, so you guys can skip that target.

10. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    William I think will just make a full-round move back towards the walls - at this point he's getting rather desperate to get to some form of shelter before missiles take any more chunks out of him.

11. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    As soon as I'm done casting, the Archon will attack the nearest hostile and ill start moving to Skadi.

Tapatalk Signature
    ----------
    Use the light switch, Luke. Trust your feelings!

12. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    I don't mean to have Evelios stop singing entirely, just not use Words of Creation while he maintains the performance.

Is William invisible? It's not listed on his stat block.

13. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    He should be - even regular Invisibility only vanishes if you directly attack something, and he didn't after casting it.

14. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    He is, concealment chance was a factor in him not getting hit much last round.

15. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Mazarun will make his full round of crossbow attacks, prioritising non-confused enemies except the one Ragnar has dibs on.

16. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    That'll probably be L -13, then. Ariel's going for the closest target as I understood it, which is also non-confused and standing at I -9.

17. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Yep!

*working to post*

18. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Okay, guys, work's a little busy, so it'll be a couple days before I get the update up - say Monday my time at the latest. Hang in there...

19. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Double post, but one quick thing: Cass, if you go with full double move it occurs to me that William can juuuuust get to the wall and land, seeing as William's 40 feet off the ground, the wall is 30 feet high, and you only have to keep movement in reserve if you're not landing this round. Only query I had was - how 'bout I move William to land at J -4, since it (a) gets you maximum distance from any ranged attackers and (b) it also puts you behind the wall's battlement, which also adds cover bonuses to your AC?

20. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    I like that idea, let's do that. :D

21. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Okay - last thing, Lightwarden/Ramza, aside from dropping Words of Creation and just boosting at +6 rather than +9, is Evelios doing anything else on his turn, remembering he's the last/first of the party before the monsters get their turn?

22. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Also also last note: Mitth, although it's not said, do I assume you're spending an AP to retain that Summon Hound Archon spell again?

23. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    YEah might as well

24. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Evelios uses the wand of web somewhere. I'm not really sure if it can be on the ground, but if not, web off the area behind them. If it can lie on the ground, then try to hit the hobgoblins below.

25. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Probably you're stuck with (pardon the pun) webbing off the gate behind you. Per Web: "These masses must be anchored to two or more solid and diametrically opposed points or else the web collapses upon itself and disappears," which I read as needing the anchor points of the opposing gates. Having said that, Evelios probably does notice that there's four hussaryn galloping up to the inner gate from the east -- looks to be reinforcements for you guys, each on a horse that takes up a 10x10 space. They were about to arrive in the update. Do you still want to throw the web, seeing as it'll block off their entrance to the field?