main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Tide of Discussion: the d20 ToF OOC thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Saintheart, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    [​IMG]

:D

Well, you might as well just disregard my post and I'll start again if the spell simply doesn't work that way. Probably it'll be several degrees of unimpressiveness given the party's saves, but I should be used to that by now. Give me a few days and I'll come up with something else.

As for how Ragnar didn't see the demon: because True Seeing doesn't allow him to see through walls or around corners. Ragnar did not roll Perception, so he didn't have a chance to spot it.

2. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    ooohhhhkay.!!!!

So, guess I'll hold my post then.

*scratches head, confused*
    :p

3. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Awww but its less dramatic and "OMFG!" if you redo. :p

4. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    It's mainly because Reverse Gravity is several degrees more sucky than I thought. Basically, without that spell functioning in the ludicrously overpowered fashion I thought it did, there's no way I can carve 70+ hitpoints off the party in one strike, so it completely destroys the post. So I might as well wipe that post and start again.

5. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Im all for letting it pass this time and the demon gets the Nerf Bat for next time. But thats just me. [face_whistling]

6. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    ...well, if you guys pass it by common consent, I'll go with it. Of course the spell would function properly next time...

7. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Uh, I'd rather it didn't pass, actually.:p

8. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    Seconding Rilwen - not everyone's as durable as the steel-plated clerics.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm pro-reset. Could possibly result in a more interesting pain train or, at least, an opportunity to make a Clue reference.

[​IMG]

Edit: Oh! Oh! Plus this implies that there is actually a quantum ToF multiverse* and we actually just got a peek into a reality that never came to pass!

Incidentally, quantum multiverse theory is untestable garbage, Copenhagen is much more reasonable and makes perfect sense given what you'll see in the lab. But this is a fantasy game, so who cares?

10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Or we were actually dreaming :p

11. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Ah...the joy of dreams.
    hahaha.. Not like it woudlnt be the first time! :p ;)

*grabs a cup of coffee*

12. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I guess I'm pro-reset - I'm very lost, so anything to help me get found would be fantastic.

13. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Ok.

A few months back, you guys decided to drop the literal and proverbial hammer on the Ghostlord, an ancient evil lich in his ancient evil Thundercats fortress. He had an ancient evil artifact that let him create ancient evil undead to boost the hobgoblin horde. Ragnar smashed the artifact with a hammer.

Surprise! It turns out the artifact was also containing a demon. The demon harassed you guys with bad dreams, then poofed out of there.

Somehow it followed you guys to Brindol and took over the Cathedral of Lathander. Everything is now spooky and full of odd geometries or whatever.

You guys spelled up and decided to go SWAT style into the cathedral.

The demon somehow managed to get the drop on you despite being 15 feet tall and standing out in the open.

The demon used Reverse Gravity to smash most of the party against the ceiling, before shutting it off and letting them fall to the floor. Unfortunately for the demon, Reverse Gravity does not work that way.

So we're rewinding to when you guys entered the building and trying that again.

The demon is also using Mirror Image, which is why there are three more copies floating around. Those copies are all illusions. Ragnar has True Seeing on him and thus can see which one is the real one. If he doesn't tell the rest of the party which one is the real demon, this fight will go pretty badly. Fortunately, talking is a free action, so there's nothing stopping him from saying "KILL THE ONE ON THE RIGHT"

(Personally, I probably would have cast True Seeing on Corrath since concealment shuts down sneak attack, but whatever

Also, I didn't notice it earlier, but the extra hands from Girallon's Blessing should go to Skadi, not Ragnar).

Any further questions?

14. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Ask and ye shall receive. Have fun fighting two of them instead of one.

:D

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Accompanied by Verdi's Rigoletto? A good death.

16. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So what you're saying is

18. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    You only get one action in a surprise round. Demon summon just like Summon Monster, which requires one round. Not a full-round action, but that plus the time up until your next turn. However, since the demon only had a single action in the surprise round, it could not full cast the summon ability, and thus needed two standard actions, one on the surprise round, and one on the main round. This means only the summon can use Power Word: Stun.

19. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    The PC stats seem incorrect. Ragnar still has the extra hands instead of Skadi, and I'm not seeing any haste effect either.

20. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    See this is why I was willing to let the first slip up pass and the Nerf Bat hits the demon. But nooo... everyone wanted a redo and now we got TWO who can bloody well stack Reverse Gravity and throw us into the ceiling this time. [face_plain]

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Except Reverse Gravity sucks so they'd be fools to cast it. I mean, they're demons. They have much more effective methods of killing.

Edit: And as the second demon is the result of a successful use of its 1/day 20% summon another Glabrezu spell-like ability, we were ALWAYS at risk of that happening in the other situation, except we also got hit for way, way more damage than it's possible to get hit with.

22. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    (1) Fine, Skadi's not stunned, but Zanaek still is.
    (2) No, the party does not get extended Haste ahead of the fight. I'm willing to auto-cast minute/level and hour/level spells for convenience, but I frankly don't have the time or inclination to leaf through everyone's character sheets one at a time and apply every possible benefit which could exist based on people's gear. We've been at this several years now, boys and girls, if you don't know what gear's in your backpack by now then there's not a lot I can do to help.
    (3) I'll change the extra hands over to Skadi.

23. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    In fact, I've just gone and done a third edition of the same post incorporating the same. Ramza, would you mind just wiping or editing my second edition entirely via mod edit with a post to just look a couple of posts down the page?

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Sure thing.

So do I need to get all EVELIOSCEPTION or are am I still good? :p

Edit: Eh, what the hell, I'm feeling these updates.

25. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Evelios's fourth wall antics right now are making me change my pants from laughing too hard. It's like some kind of bad movie.
    [​IMG]

Ramza likes this.