main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fantasy A Tide of Flames: a d20 Dungeons & Dragons adventure

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Saintheart, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Ariel Elandinai
    Garrison Hill, Brindol, Elsir Vale

Ariel watched as the Speaker and the Cleric turned to look at each other. It did not take long for the Cleric to quickly clear out the other elves within earshot and to depart. A few moments later, Ariel and the Speaker were alone. Ariel would have liked the Cleric to stay, but that was for Sellyria to decide. "What happened?" asked Sellyria.

Ariel closed her wings around her, as she sought to choose her next words. "There was more there, than we thought there would be. We found a temple to the black wyrm Tiamat within the caverns as well. The Ghostlord - he was building I believe what one of our party called 'bone drinkers' for the horde. We also found a strange dark sphere, that we destroyed. But it was after we had exited the lair. Somehow, we all fell asleep. Almost instantly." Ariel paused for a moment, collecting her thoughts.

"We found ourselves within a dream setting. I was separated from the others for awhile. It was then that I fought with what appeared to be a demon. But when we awoke, we found out that another, not of our party, had become possessed, but our clerics managed to expelled the creature. We came back to the city, to find out what creature it might be, so that we could destroy its physical form. But the local cleric said that the creature I faced.. he called it a shadow demon... it could not be. That it is something more powerful." Ariel frowned a bit. "I.. do not think that it was something the Ghostlord would have used. Could it be from the wyrm? Maybe something she sent?" she asked quietly. After all, Ariel thought to herself, the devil hounds and other nasty underworld things that they had ran into so far had come from the horde and their ilk. Why not this?

TAG: Saintheart

2. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Sa'adi Adim
    Cathedral of Lathander

Skadi sat forward, visibly uncomfortable at the sight of Ulwai's glassy gaze. her feelings on the hobgoblin had softened considerably since Ulwai's repentance- while she still intended to see her tried for her crimes, it was clear to anyone that the hobgoblin wanted nothing more to do with her former life.

While that repentance was driven by fear rather than genuine regret, it was repentance nonetheless. Tyr judged all: the former quality of the hearts he recieved was an academic point at best, or so Skadi liked to think.

"Ulwai, we must ask you about the dream where you saw me." the cleric tried to keep her voice as gentle as she was able. "You said it showed you me: what do you mean by 'it'?"

[TAG All]

3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Ariel Elandinai

Eight bells, Twenty-third of Mirtul, morning
    Year of Scattered Lanterns (1378 DR)

Sellyria's face paled. "You are asking me something that the Tiri Kitor have never encountered in all our time here, Corellon's light be thanked. There is some little lore that remains at Starsong Hill of the -- lower planes, but even when we were still at Suldanessellar such creatures were almost legend; ages of our people had gone before us to ensure that city was protected against such beasts. The people of Suldanessellar had no desire to repeat the fall of Myth Drannor. I have no real knowledge of the sort of creatures of which you speak. If Urikel Zarl was in league with one of them, that knowledge did not come from Starsong Hill. Illian Snowmantle might know more, but he is but young, and he has had no further education than I to those things."

TAG: Ktala

[b]Sa'adi Adim, William Marshall, Mazarun Zothyrr[/b]

[i]Cathedral of Lathander, Brindol, Elsir Vale
    Year of Scattered Lanterns (1378 DR)[/i]

The hobgoblin's voice was calm.
    Frighteningly so.
    "It was a shadow upon darkness," Ulwai said. "It tried to hide itself in shadow, but I saw it. Taller than a fire giant. Two eyes, purple as heartblood, in the midst of the shadows. No hands. Only claws. The head of a dog. The body of a human."
    A chill of recognition went through William and Mazarun. But neither had to speak; Menechem Nathys did it for them. The Outcaster whistled through his teeth. "That sounds like a [link=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#glabrezu]glabrezu.[/link] Lathander preserve us. Not a balor, but still -- if she was seeing its true face, I'd say we've got some problems."

[b]TAG: Livi, cassie, Rilwen[/b]

4. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    IC: Mazarun Zothyrr
    In the Cathedral of Lathander
    (do clerics of sun gods sell brain bleach?)

A glabrezu. It was, perhaps, fortunate, that Nathys had named the thing; Mazarun wouldn't have trusted his voice to be steady just now.

Oh yes, he recognised the description. Glabrezu demons were among the variants more frequently summoned by the drow; one featured prominently in the typical graduation ceremonies upon Tier Breche. Even with the dizzying smoke that had clouded his thoughts at the time, upon reflection Mazarun's memories of the demon's involvement were considerably more vivid than he'd have liked.

He shuddered. It had not been him facing it, and it hadn't been in a combative mood as such, but... Some things tended to stick in the mind. That was one of them.

(And draegloths were disconcerting enough as it was, without having the constant reminder of their origins in the back of one's mind...)

Mazarun shook his head, and took a long, deep breath. Carefully, he asked, "When you saw it, did you see or get any sense of particular surroundings around it?"

Tag: Saint, Any

5. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Ariel Elandinai

Sellyria's face paled. Ariel felt sympathy for the woman. She understood her fears totally. Being responsible for her people, that bit of knowledge was a bit more than she expected. Hopefully, Zanaek and the others would be able to find out something. Ariel nodded slowly as she listened to the speaker. "Hmm. Then I shall have to trust that the Clerics will find the answer they seek then. I will have to intrust that the Winged Mother, and the others who guide our steps will show us then." Ariel replied softly. Right now, Ariel had enough of such thoughts. She swept it away, and gave a gentle smile to the speaker. "I know we will find what we need. But until then... may I wait with you here?" Ariel asked, shaking her wings slightly.

"I am not exactly tasked with anything for the moment, I would enjoy the company within these woods." Ariel gave a heartfelt smile then. A chance to eat and rest, and not have to look over her shoulder... even give her wings a most needed stretch would be nice indeed.

Maybe a bit of REAL rest would help clear her head.

6. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Ariel Elandinai

"You are most welcome here," said Sellyria. Her composure was returning. "As I said, your coming is not unexpected. Please -- follow me. There is something I would have you see."
    The druid led her towards what seemed to be the heart of the wood, though given the shadow and enchantment that seemed to be upon it, they might have been at the heart of a forest. Here light fell in a circle on a large tent nearly ten feet from foot to crown, surmounted with the symbol of Corellon Larethian. For a moment, Ariel thought the druidess would open the tent's flap, but instead she turned to the avariel, drawing her ancient hands into her robe. The spilling light from the trees set her yellow robe to gold fire.
    "This is our tabernacle to the Seldarine whilst we travel," said Sellyria. "Within you will find a circle to the elven gods. All of them, even poor Eilistraee, have their sigils here. Corellon we honour above the rest, but all his family must be remembered for their protection. This da'sacaril has not been unfurled since my husband drew south. None are tolerated within the tabernacle save for a cleric of the Seldarine. Not even I. And none are tolerated within the circle at the centre of the tent. That is for the Seldarine."

The druidess turned and firmly threw open the tent's flap. Within was only flickering shadow. "In you must go."

[b]Sa'adi Adim, William Marshall, Mazarun Zothyrr [/b]

Again, that terrifying calm. "It is below the ground. Beneath paving. Beneath two feet of stone. It is angry. It can sense power, all around it. Like a harmony it was crafted to play. But it has no access to this strength, while it lies incorporeal. It cannot free itself. It -- can see the place. It lies beneath a low dais in a room of oval. There is the stink of the grave, but no life to sense it. Above it is a black sphere of stone, orange light flickering across it. There is an exit from the room, and a power moves within the dusty passages; a power full of hate, of diseased mind. A power that defied gods and the grave."

[b]TAG: Livi, cassie, Rilwen[/b]

7. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    IC: William Marshall and Maeghen

William's breath hissed through his teeth, and his face paled noticeably. That description was all too familiar to him, and - glancing at his companions - he was sure they would also recognise it. If this demon was in the Dark Node, then... His mind began spinning off into speculation, formulating theories, before a light peck on his ear yanked him back into the moment.

{Think about this when our lives aren't in imminent danger.}

{Sorry.}

Stepping forward, willing his voice not to shake, William spoke to Ulwai. "Can you tell what led its incorporeal self to leave that place?"

TAG: Saint, Livi, Rilwen

8. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Ariel Elandinai

"You are most welcome here," said Sellyria, as the color returned to her face. Ariel gave the woman a nod. She was glad to be welcomed within the community of elves. After Zanaek's - 'change', she was glad to find fellow elves to simply be near, and not have to deal with such confusing issues that seemed to follow the many grounders. True, most of it was simple misunderstandings, but it was amazing just how far some could be carried. Ariel's thoughts were jarred back when the Speaker spoke to her once more.

"As I said, your coming is not unexpected. Please -- follow me. There is something I would have you see." Now that was curious to Ariel. With a nod, she moved to follow the Speaker. As they walked, Ariel felt the enchantment upon the area, and it seemed to grow and swell as they walked. She felt as if they had suddenly walked into the middle of a very thick and ancient forest, with trees older than any she had been close to. It was a very calming effect. Ariel allowed her wings to gently open slightly as they walked, filling the air as she moved. The thick scent of the trees reached her, and she gave a slight smile. Winding through the trees, behind Sellyria, they soon came a very large tent. Light through the trees fell on the tent, and she could see that the symbol of Corellon Larethian lay upon the tent. It was simple, and yet more elegant than any of the churches within the walls of the city. She looked at the Speaker curious, as she thought the woman was going to open the tent and stepped inside. Instead, she turned towards Ariel, and put her hands into her robes. From the light cascading from the trees, she almost seemed to glow. "This is our tabernacle to the Seldarine whilst we travel," she stated. Ariel looked back to the tent. 'They carried this?', she thought to herself. She listened as the Speaker continued. "Within you will find a circle to the elven gods. All of them, even poor Eilistraee, have their sigils here. Corellon we honor above the rest, but all his family must be remembered for their protection." Ariel nodded, but stayed silent, folding her wings gently behind her. A truly sacred place. She remembered her mother mentioning such things. Even among the Avariel, they acknowledged the other gods. But why was she mentioning this to her?

"None are tolerated within the tabernacle save for a cleric of the Seldarine. Not even I. And none are tolerated within the circle at the centre of the tent. That is for the Seldarine." The druidess turned and firmly threw open the tent's flap. "In you must go."

Ariel looked within the tent, only seeing a small flickering of light within. She looked back at Sellyria, her eyebrow raised in an unspoken question. Sellyria herself could not enter, but she wanted her to? The Winged Mother was included within the Seldarine. Obviously, someone had told them of her coming to them, since they kept saying they had expected her. Ariel looked back within the tent. If she was being summoned, then it was best not to keep that person wanting.

With a nod Ariel folded her wings back, and stepped within the doorway, expelling a breath she had not noticed she was holding. Remembering Sellyria's comment about the inner circle within the circle of the tent, she continued to walk inside, letting her wings open wide now as she looked within the tent at the surrounding trappings, as she moved towards the the center.

OOC: Yoda flashback, have I! ;)

9. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Sa'adi Adim, William Marshall, Mazarun Zothyrr

Cathedral of Lathander, Brindol, Elsir Vale

For the first time, an expression on Ulwai's face: effort, or pained recall--"It is very dark in here. There are wells. Wells of agony. Of rage. I can hear voices in them. Children's voices, all scr--"
    Menechem had moved forward, glancing at William as he did, putting a gentle hand on the hobgoblin's shoulder. "Hear my voice, saer. Hear me very well. You do not hear the voices, saer. Their sounds are swallowed by Lathander's light, the light that walks with you."
    The hobgoblin's face smoothed, and she took another deep breath. Was silent, for a moment. Resumed: "It wished to be free. It wished to survive. It turned upon itself, to its own nature. It changed itself. Separated its mind from its form. And it knew, then, that the black sphere in the chamber was using it to fuel the sphere's strength. And knew then the final glamour -- separating its mind from its form, the sphere had sealed it from its body. So it waited. Until the black sphere was destroyed, which freed its mind but did not allow it to return to its own form."

TAG: cassie, Livi, Rilwen

[b]Ariel Elandinai [/b]

[i]Garrison Hill, Brindol, Elsir Vale

There was a hint of [i]something[/i] as she crossed the threshold into the tent - as of a butterfly's wing, or a forgotten breeze. It made her blink for a moment.

When she opened her eyes again, she stood in a circular chamber a good forty feet in diameter. That in itself was impossible; the tent from the exterior could not have held this space, though it still appeared so - the chamber was surrounded by canvas walls, and tapered to a great height above her. Amber light, flickering -- no -- [i]dancing[/i] -- lit the circular chamber, from no source she could immediately see. And in the centre of the chamber lay a simple circle, its perimeter inscribed by a single silver rope. Inside that circle, twelve sigils glowed - they were scratchings into the dirt of the ground that comprised the tent floor, but yellow flecks like fireflies whirled within the grooves traced into the ground.

Her eyes moved from one sigil to the next. They were the twelve symbols of the Seldarine, as she'd suspected - from the bejewelled "C" symbol of Corellon to the great bole of a tree that was Rillifane's own. And there, at the position reserved for the east wind--

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070622031419/forgottenrealms/images/c/cf/Aerdrie_symbol.jpg]

The great bird against the clouds that was Aerdrie Faenya's symbol, glimmering like fallen stars along with the rest of them.

Twelve symbols, equidistant from one another around the circle. And in the centre of that circle--

[image=http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/229/0/3/Hadhafang___Sword_of_Arwen_by_WC_Wookiee.png]

She recognised the weapon, even though it had been long years since she'd seen such a thing. A long, slightly curved weapon with a handle designed for both hands. An elven courtblade; the miracle of a two-handed weapon that could be wielded with such finesse it could deceive a person into thinking you could wield it with one hand. But it was the material of the blade that drew Ariel's attention: it was neither steel, nor mithril, nor any other mundane material.
    It was made of glasteel, the same as her own rapier, [i]Sulcabedoo,[/i] was constructed from.
    The weapon of an avariel.

[b]TAG: Ktala[/b]

10. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    OOC: Also, a double post for a very good cause.

I know I've been talking about finding someone to play your friendly cleric Zanaek for some time now; there have been some attempts, but many failures, and in some senses it was probably always going to be a disappointment since, well, Zanaek belonged to CmdrMitthrawnuruodo and it was his creation.

I'm very happy to announce this problem has now been resolved.
    It's been resolved because an old friend has decided to play Zanaek Grahorn.
    In particular, an old friend by the name of CmdrMitthrawnuruodo, who will be rejoining us fairly soon and taking up Zanaek again! :D

All seriousness, would you please welcome him back (and be kind to him in character and with queries, since he's got roughly 2 years of catch-up reading to do to seamlessly pick up Zanaek again.) Welcome back, Mitth! [:D]

11. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    *waves*

Hey all! Good to be back. I hope to have something written soon to take back the reins of Zanaek. I got a lot to digest to get back into this game fluidly, so take it easy on me if I end up asking about something Zanaek should have known.

12. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    IC: William Marshall

All the colour drained from William's face. "Gods preserve us," he breathed, and nearly dropped into the nearest unoccupied seat. He looked to each of his companions with guilt written on his face, and Ulwai last of all, before he sank his head into his hands. His voice was hardly audible. "I am so very sorry."

TAG: Saint, Livi, Rilwen (Mitth?)

OOC:
    Hello, Mitth! Doubt we've met - you'd left the game before I joined, so it's nice to meet you. :D Welcome back.

13. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Ariel Elandinai

As she took a breath, Ariel could feel - something. It was so light and delicate, she blinked, as it quickly passed. Inside, she saw that she stood in a circular chamber at least forty feet in diameter. Her eyebrow arched as her wings swept back. While the tent was huge it was not THAT large. Her head slowly turned as she took in her surroundings, taking another few steps within. She could see the canvas walls, as they arched their way towards the tapered ceiling far above her. She smiled as the she saw an amber light which danced about as it lit the circular area, but there was no immediate light source. The magic of old and new, was thick within, and it was comforting.

A few more steps, and now at the center of room, she saw a simple circle, its perimeter inscribed with a single silver rope. That looked familiar to her. And within the center of that circle, twelve sigils glowed - drawn within the dirt of the tent floor, but so much more, as she noticed tiny yellow flecks like fireflies whirled within the grooves traced into the ground. Ariel walked a bit closer, before she stopped and now took to knee as she took in each of the different sigils. The twelve symbols of the Seldarine. Her eyes paused on each one, starting with Corellon, as her eyes darted from one symbol to the next. Her mother's teachings came to her, as she silently thanked each one, as she had been taught long ago. And there, at the position reserved for the east wind, was the great bird against the clouds, that was Aerdrie Faenya's symbol, The Winged Mother, glimmering like tiny stars along with the rest of them. Twelve symbols, all equal distance from each other. Unlike the other church she had just visited. Here they all worked together in union. But what shocked her next, was what she now noticed in the center of the circle of symbols.

It was something she had not seen, since she had been but a child. Something that her father, not her mother used to tell of stories about, when she was barely flying. A long, slightly curved weapon with a handle designed for both hands. An elven courtblade. It was beautiful. Crafted so finely, that one could almost think to use it with one hand. But what caught Ariel's eye was when her eyes traveled down to notice the blade of the weapon. It was not the fine mithril of stories past, or not even any other blade material that she knew of.

Instead, it was made of glasteel, like Sulcabedoo. The weapon of her people. Of an Avariel.

Ariel's eyes grew wide in recognition and shock. The dim light danced along the blade. Her eyes were not playing tricks on her. Had the Tiri Kitor been holding this weapon? If they had, it had been for a very long time. But on second thought, thinking of what the Speaker had told her on her arrival, she did not think so. Ariel flapped her wings gently as she gently touched Sulcabedoo, looking towards the elven Courtblade. She bowed her head for a moment, and then looked back up as she gracefully came back to her feet.

"By the blessed Seldarine.." Ariel gently whispered in elvish, as she carefully walked around the ring, to stand close next to Aerdrie Faenya's symbol. It was kind of strange to see her symbol as such.. back at home, her symbol would be aloft, floating. As would the ring. But it was familiar and comforting none the less. And it occurred to Ariel that it was the first time that she had been within an Elvish clerical circle since she had become an Duskblade.

Ariel looked around the tent once more, but did not see anyone else within. She looked back at the circle, and the blade within.

"What would you have of me?" she asked softly in elvish, as she swept her wings back.

*ahem*

OOC:And to response of Mitth coming back:
    YAAAAHOOOOO!!! HALLELLULIA!!! YES!!!!
    :p
    Dance happy Avariel dance!
    :D

14. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    IC: Mazarun Zothyrr
    In the Cathedral of Lathander
    (an enlightening sort of place?)

Mazarun frowned, crossing swiftly to where William now sat. "Listen to me, wizard." He paused, and touched William's shoulder lightly. "William." He did not customarily use names unless he had to - some distances were a matter of long habit - but it was needed, now. "You could not have known, and neither could you have left it there. Would you have left such power there to await whatever petty tyrant might seek it out to glut himself upon it? I don't think you could have done that and still been who I've seen you to be, these last few days." His voice was quiet, but utterly unclouded by doubt.

The drow sighed. "Things like that have a way of being used. Someone would have come for it. Maybe not now - maybe not even for a hundred years - but eventually. Someone would have heard its call, and turned it upon people who would know nothing of what was happening." Still calm, he noted, "Far better that the stone was broken. If there is a demon to deal with, so be it. A known thing can be fought."

That it was a glabrezu was not currently relevant; true, the thought of facing it sent ripples of dread through Mazarun's core, but guilt was an enemy closer and more deadly than the demon. Guilt would turn the wizard in upon himself, for something that was hardly his fault. Mazarun had no wish to see that happen; that strange half-understanding stirring within his mind insisted that William deserved better than that. "If you must blame someone, blame whoever called the thing up for power."

Tag: Cassie, Saint, Any

OOC: Welcome back, Mitth! ...You've got a lot of reading to do. :p

15. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    IC: William Marshall

I said it should be destroyed, and if I hadn't this would never have happened...

William couldn't even bring himself to meet the others' eyes. His companions had relied on him to tell them about the Heart of the Lion, and on his word it had been destroyed... to set a bound demon loose.

"Listen to me, wizard."

Mazarun's words, and the light touch, were a surprise and a distraction from the surge of guilt, and William dragged himself out of the mental mire to listen. The calm, rational words steadied him quickly; they reminded him of other times his friends had scolded him for being so quick to take the blame for a disaster on himself.

"A known thing can be fought."

The faintest hint of a smile stole across the wizard's face. Now that sounded like something his tutors would say. Raking his hair out of his face, he nodded slightly and looked to Skadi and Zanaek. If they were willing to accept his part in this was accidental, he could manage; the last thing he needed was for them to turn on him now.

TAG: Everyone in the room, y'all know who's there by now

16. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Ariel Elandinai

Nothing replied to Ariel's impassioned question.

All was still.

17. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Sa'adi Adim
    Cathedral of Lathander

William wasn't the only one struggling with guilt over unwittingly letting the fiend loose. Ulwai's words hit Skadi like a punch to the gut. Though logically there was no way she could have known what the sphere was, the cleric still felt sick to her stomach that the thought that she and Ragnar had directly contributed to freeing the thing that had preyed on them.

"We all made a mistake." she muttered flatly in response to William's apology. I should have known better.

Shaking her head as if to dislodge the thought, Skadi turned back to Ulwai.

"Where does this demon's physical form reside?"

[TAG Room folks]

[b]OOC:[/b] Welcome back to the game, [b]Mitth[/b]! :)

18. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Ariel Elandinai

All was quiet. No response. Nothing at all. Ariel stared at the sword, as she took a deep breath, as she looked down at the symbols itched within the soil below.

Ariel flapped her wings gently as she closed her eyes for a moment. She opened them slowly, as she looked at the silver rope that circled the ground. She then looked back at the symbol of the Winged Mother. She thought for a moment of trying to see if the Goddess's sight could possibly help, but with so much eldrich magic about, it would most likely be everything here. That would not be helpful. Ariel stood silent for what seemed like several long minutes as she look at the puzzle in front of her.

Was it there to simply tease her? She seriously doubted that. And if they simply wanted to kill her, well wasnt the Red Hand more than enough? Plenty of chances there. So what was this then? A walk of faith? Ariel murmured a whispered prayer. Either it was what they wanted, or it was going to be a very big, and possibly painful mistake. She exhaled forcefully. She was second guessing herself. No. She was a Duskblade. She would have to put her trust in the Seldarine.

Ariel looked at the sword, and then gently flapped her wings. She gently rose in the air. If the sword for for an Avariel, then she would approach it as one. Being very careful not to cross over any of the symbols, Ariel moved first up, and then over towards the sword.

:)

19. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Ariel Elandinai

Again nothing happened as Ariel lifted from the earth and then landed next to the weapon.

[b]Sa'adi Adim, William Marshall, Mazarun Zothyrr[/b]

"It is imprisoned," replied Ulwai. Again, in complete calm. "In the chamber of the black sphere. It was called here. By a great power. It resisted, and destroyed much of its enemy's strength to do so. But the sphere's magic already had it. The statue of the lion leapt up around it. Forced it below the earth. Forced it to separate its mind from its physical form, to survive. Its form lies beneath that chamber."
    Menechem turned, arms folded, to the companions. "Remember, she speaks from memory," he murmured. "It is not divination or a connection with the fiend. She can only speak of what might have been in its memory while she was still possessed. Whether that still holds..." He gestured helplessly.

[b]TAG: Livi, cassie, Rilwen, [color=red]Mitth![/b][/color] (so glad to finally be able to have four tags in this scene :D :D )

20. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Ariel Elandinai

Her wings beating gently, Ariel lifted off and then landed next to the sword. Again she found herself letting go of a breath she had been holding as she landed gently within the circle. Her mind was awhirl with many thoughts, but right now, she pushed them aside to keep her mind focused on the task at hand. She moved her wings back, as she moved admire the sword up close now. She then reached out with both hands, and grasped the handle to the legendary Elven blade, feeling its cool touch to her fingers.

With a might flap of her wings, she moved to lift off once more, and set herself back on the other side of the circle.

[face_praying]

21. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    OOC: What does Zanaek know of demonic possession (or in general)? What would the limitations be for such a poltergeist forced to exist outside of it's body? How far can it stray from its anchor point before the tether snaps taut on it? Etc, etc?

Still reading the thread, btw. XD

22. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    OOC: Mitth: Actually, Zanaek made a Knowledge (Religion) check on this page, which came back at a 40, so he has a surprising depth of knowledge on the issue. That knowledge comes down to this:

- Fiends (that is, the demon subtype on the SRD) can possess creatures and force them to do their will. The motivations of these possessing fiends is as varied as the demons themselves. Evil creatures are more suspectible to possession, but no one is really safe.

- Fiends can also possess objects, although they usually do so to get to people. When a fiend possesses you, it can use you as a puppet, but sometimes it just lurks in your body, whispering dark ideas or waiting for the right moment to take control.

- Fiends that have possessed you still have a body, but they keep it hidden away somewhere safe. The part of the fiend that possesses someone is a sort of apparition version of the demon. Some fiends can warp you body when they possess you, eventually twisting you into their own physical form and permanently taking over your body.

- The apparition version of a possessing fiend is incorporeal and able to move to and from the Ethereal Plane as it pleases. While moving about incorporeally, a fiend's body is vulnerable to attack, if you can find it.

- If you can trap a possessing fiend's incorporeal body outside the host, you can destroy it, although you need the same kind of magic and weapons to do so as you would if fighting a ghost or shadow. If you attack the fiend's body, it can instantly return to its corporeal form, although this means it has to leave its possessed victim.

- A fiend's body while in its incorporeal state must be on the plane of the creature it possesses. So if your neighbour is possessed, the demon's body is somewhere on the Material Plane. If you destroy a demon's incorporeal, possessing form, the demon goes into a coma for as long as a week, and its body is completely vulnerable during this time.

On exorcism, he can also be taken to know the following:

- The individuals best suited to dealing with possessed creatures are Sacred Exorcists, a specialised form of cleric, of which there are never enough walking the earth at any one time. The church of Lathander, if any, has the most available, and there's a cathedral to Lathander back in Brindol.

- Zanaek was taught The Cry Against The Pit, which is the prayer of exorcism known by the Triad's church -- it's a cleric 1 spell, which if successful drives the demon into the nearest available open space in incorporeal form. It requires an ability to turn the undead in order to cast, which Zanaek has but Skadi does not.

- Other spells that function as workarounds for exorcism include Dispel Evil, Dispel Chaos, and Banishment, though none of them by definition act with their normal effect; they simply drive the demon back to its own mortal form, and it can immediately attempt to find its host again. Zanaek had to cast Dispel Evil three times on Ulwai before he successfully expunged the demon from Ulwai's form.

- Protection from Evil cast on a possessed individual restrains the possessing demon from doing anything but abandoning its host; on the other hand, the spell doesn't last forever and some demons are quite content to wait it out. Magic Circle Against Evil does the same thing for longer and over the radius of the spell.

As to the specific question: there are theoretically no limits to either the distance from the demon's corporeal form or how long it can stay away. A possessor's corporeal form remains in a form of suspended animation while the possessor's spirit is "away", and requires neither sustenance or breath to remain alive. The only requirement is that the possessor's corporeal form must be on the same plane of existence as the creature it possessed. A possessor can normally return to its own physical form and then access its physical abilities again as normal.

Basically

23. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Ariel Elandinai

As she lifted from the ground, the world turned to white light.

The sound of her name being called roused her. She opened her eyes. Something grainy in her hair - she was lying on the ground of the tent. The entrance was only a step away. Amber light flickered around her. Someone -- she turned her head, to find the cleric, Illian Snowmantle, crouched down beside her, his eyes filled with both awe and apprehension. The tent flap was also open, and the cool air of the wood drifted across her face. A shadow on her -- Sellyria, standing still outside the tent, hands folded, eyes as grave and knowing as they had been before she entered.

Her hands had something. She looked down at it.
    To find that the courtblade was grasped between her fingers, pointed down, as if she were lying on a funeral bier. That, though, was not the strangest thing. Rather, the strangest thing was the fact the courtblade was not the same as she'd seen it, moments ago. Instead, wisps of smoke or fog eddied up and down the glasteel's length, with the intermittent flicker suggestive of lightning that had been part of her rapier. And the electric blue crystal that had been affixed to her rapier was there, too.

But her shield was gone, completely; and at her feet, like the weapon of a defeated enemy, lay her old rapier, Sulcabedoo, inert and motionless: it was ordinary glasteel again, with none of its enchantments there at all. Rather, those enchantments seemed to be part of the courtblade she now held.

24. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Ariel Elandinai

The world turned white. All encompassing light surrounded her. She could not tell just how long it lasted, but it was a warm light, and she felt like she was one with everything. No fear, no pain, just being. It was so beautiful. So much so, that she did not at first notice that someone had called her name. She almost hated to respond to the call, it was so beautiful. But she felt as she must. So she turned away from the beautiful white light.

She opened her eyes. She was laying down, on the ground, still within the tent. The entrance was next to her. The white light was replaced with an amber light which flickered around her. She slowly turned her head when she heard her name called again. Oh, it was the Cleric, Illian Snowmantle, crouched down beside her, eyes wide. A flicker of a shadow passed over her face and Ariel noticed that the Speaker was still standing outside the tent.

Ariel smiled. She was holding something. She looked down, and saw that the courtblade was firmly within her grasp, pointed downwards. For some reason, the position made her think of a funeral bier. Wryly, she took a closer look and she the noticed the blade looked different somehow. She sat up, bringing the blade up slowly. Wisps of smoke or fog eddied up and down the glasteel's length, with the intermittent flicker suggestive of lightning that had been part of her rapier. And the electric blue sky gem crystal that had been affixed to her rapier was there, too. She looked around her quickly. Her shield, was now gone. And Sulcabedoo,..

She did a double take. The blade that had served her faithfully, for so very long was changed. Gone. She looked at the Courtblade. It was here. Sulcaedoo, transformed. The rapier before her was no longer the same. A name came to her mind, almost immediately. Sulsalka. She looked back at Sulcaedoo. It was as she had originally found it, plain and simple once more. Glasteel, still the weapon of an Avariel...

The look on the Cleric's face, made Ariel grin, and then she let loose with a hearty laugh, as she gracefully rose to her feat. "I am alright.." Ariel replied, but first spoke the words in Avaian. She then shook her head, still chuckling. "I am fine, Cleric." she repeated as she shook her wings, and then moved to exit the tent. She paused, to pick up Sulcabedoo as well, and then exited the tent.

Ariel was still smiling, as she faced the Speaker.

The new weapon was large Much larger. She would have to adapt her slings to deal with the new size. She would take care of that soon. She then held up Sulcaedoo horizontally, as she spoke to the Speaker.

"Sulcaedoo, has served me faithfully for a very long time." Ariel spoke softly to the Speaker. "It would be a shame to simply discard him. His blade is sharp and true. Would you be willing to take him? I know it is a small thing, but in all the things you have done to aid us, I truly am thankful. It would do me well, to think that at least he went to someone I know." Ariel asked the Speaker, hoping it would not be taken as an insult. But the new weapon was a two handed weapon. She waited for the Speakers response. If she was not willing to take the weapon, Ariel would understand, as she flexed her wings.

25. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    And now a post... after two years, finally. Lol

Zanaek Grahorn

Cathedral of Lathander, Brindol, Elsir Vale

Zanaek listened to Ulwai's hypnotic reciting of the demon's memories that she possessed.

So the creature was trapped somewhere inside the stone lion, more specifically somewhere near where the Heart of the Lion had been kept and was destroyed. Somewhere, some evil god was laughing at them for destroying the Heart, the very thing that had kept the demon powerless. Their intentions had been good but all it had done was possibly cause more harm. He did not like that. Not one bit.

"What is done, is done. All that is left to us now, is to finish it," he simply said, his soft gaze drifting to the wizard. His words were meant to reassure him and give the wizard the determination to right things rather than dwell on what had been. As a cleric of Torm, himself, he had a duty to send this beast back to the realm from which it had been summoned from and it did not matter whether he and his friends had been responsible for it. All that mattered was that they finish it. For it was a greater evil to ignore the thing.

However his knowledge on demonology was basic at best. He had not ventured into the art of exorcising and demon hunting and only learned what he needed to know should he ever come across a situation that required him to deal with eldritch creatures from the Planes.

So he listened to Ulwai tell them what she knew.

"From what I understand and what we already know of the Ghostlord," Zanaek surmised, a thoughtful look on his face, "Zarl most likely summoned this beast to our realm to power the Heart of the Lion. In doing so he corrupted it and the lions, angered his god and became cursed with lichborne as punishment."

His gaze flickered to the hobgoblin, "Do you know how to access this chamber beneath the Heart?"

TAG: All Present, Saint

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.