main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fantasy A War of Kings

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by spycoder9, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Lorain Ashkey
    Tavern Attic - Small, Abandoned Town - Desert - 19 Days before the wedding

Lorain carefully followed underneath Fleet as he walked the rafters, probing the roof. She did not need him to hurt himself, if the rafters were not as sturdy as they looked. But she was not too worried. The boy seemed rather smart, and even with the chaos going on around him, he was being quite helpful. She noted how he payed attention while she spoke. For that, she was greatful. Suddenly, he got excited, as he quietly called down to her. "Gods Old n' Neu! I
    think I fownd somethin'!!" He exclaimed with some excitement in his voice. "A soft spot!" He looked down now, blue eyes wide, and smiling. Lorain looked up with a grin. "Great! Nows all we have to do is.."

THUMP!!!

Lorain whirled around at the noise. Another hit. And then another. Something was hitting the attic doorway. Thrice cursed dogs! How had then found them so quickly?!! No voices, but it was evident that someone was trying to get in. Or at least, they were testing the door. And the noise seemed to wake the injured woman as well, as she began to stir, moaning abit. NOT what they needed now. The smile faded from Lorain's face as she moved into action. She looked up at Fleet. "We needs ta git goen'!" he mouthed at Lorain, his hand still on the raised portion of the roof. Lorain noted the spot. She then nodded fiercly at the young boy. "Come down now, and sees to ya friend. I'll take care of the rest." she told him. She then turned away, and with a swift motion picked up Kaili and moved her clear to the side. Lorain then turned and grabbed the wardrobe that was in the room. It was the largest piece of furniture in the room, and even if the knights below had moved a table under the trapdoor, they would be hard pressed to push up, and move the wardrobe. Dang if they heard them now. They needed to buy time to escape. With a grunt, and a bit of scraping, she moved the wardrobe over, until it set firmly on top of the doorway, along with the bed that was still there. Lorain stared at the bed for a moment, and then took several sheets, and wrapped them up to take with her.

Lorain then used the wardrobe to carefully climb up, and following the rafters the same as Fleet had. She moved until she got to the same spot that Fleet had been pushing at, and she noticed the dark spot in the roof. The thaching at the spot, was darker than the rest. Lorain gave a dark grin. She had helped her father repair the roof many times, along with her younger brother. She took one hand, and wrapped a sheet around it, and then using her covered hand, she began to punch a way through the rotten thatch to make an opening in the roof. She had to be careful though, not to make too big an opening. Just enough to squeeze out of, or else they risked falling through. But right now, they were still lucky. The buildings in this part of town seemed rather close to each other. Lorain remembered that when they had walked into town. She just hope that Fleet could remember the way towards the shops. He did say it was towards the middle of town. Lorain took out the knife that Fleet had found for her, and used it to cut the rest of the way through the roof, and then stuck her head out to look around. She saw where the chimley stuck out, and she noted the slope of the roof. They would have to be careful, but luckily there had been no rain lately, so it was not slick at the moment. Thank the gods for some good luck. She looked around, to see the closest building she was facing. They would have to move quickly, before the Knights figured out what they were doing. The opening was wide enough now for all of them to get through it now. Lorain ducked back down inside, and swiftly climbed back down to where Fleet and Kaili were.They needed to go.

Now.

TAG: @greyjedi125, @spycoder9

2. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    IC: Fleet
    19 Days before the wedding
    Small Abandoned Town-Desert Tavern, Attic

"Come down now, and sees to ya friend. I'll take care of the rest." Lorain said, just loud enough for Fleet to hear, which he almost couldn't with all that banging going on. Without a second's hesitation, the young boy obeyed the large woman's command, climbing down as quickly as he was able to, without breaking his neck in the process. In a moment, he was at Kaili's side. She was calling out his name.

"I'm here, I'm here..." he said, taking her grasping hand into his. She was sweating, and probably had a fever. Fleet looked into her eyes and stroked her hair, but try as hard as he might, he was unable to contain the tears. "You did it, Kaili. I'm ok. I'm safe. Now's me turn to take care of yu..."

She was saying something now, but he couldn't quite understand it. His heart was racing and his breathing just wouldn't listen. "Please Kaili, stay with me....please." He pleaded. "I've even found us a new friend. She's helpin' us get yu to safety. Please..."

Though he did not understand Kaili's words, it did seem she understood him. She smiled up at him, and even stroked his hair in return. Her eyes were full of tears too, but they glistened with a beauty and a purity that was almost otherworldly.
    "Live another day, yu've got to do it Kaili. We'll get you fix up right n' proper, yu'll see...just hang on." But Fleet found himself doubting his own words. Kaili's touch was colder than it should've been, her face grew sickly pale, yet he had to believe they could save his friend. Too many people in his had been taken away from him, too many were...

The infernal thumping wouldn't stop and he glared at the area where the sound came from. If only he was strong enough to dispatch those bloody knights, he would have done it days ago. But he had to live to get revenge, to learn and grow strong.

A piece of thatched roof came down on his head and he suddenly looked up. There was now a hole near where he'd stood only moments ago. He turned his head in time to see Lorain come down the wardrobe and approach him. Her expression said it all.

It was time to go.

But Fleet didn't move a muscle, not yet. He ignored the banging as he looked up at the big woman who had done near miracles for them so far.

"We're taking Kaili with us. I won't leave her."

It wasn't a question. He tried to sound as brave as he could, but inside, he knew he could not carry his friend, he hadn't that kind of strength, so it wasn't really up to him. Nevertheless, he refused to abandon his friend, not while there was still breath in her. Only monsters did that sort of thing.

Tag:Ktala,spycoder9

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    IC: The Queen, Emilia Reynard
    The Capital, Dining Hall

Word travels quick through the higher tiers of society. The Queen was quite impressed with the speed and tenacity in which the topic of the war was raised. It proved these ladies were not all dolts after all and in fact worried about more than petty differences such as what clothes to wear for any given occasion or how an interior room of the palace was furnished. Perhaps there was some hope for the future of the ruling class other than a predominantly male point of view.

The Queen raised the cup of tea to her lips, sipping sparingly as she overcame her initial surprise and prepared herself to address their concerns. While she had been informed of the raid weeks in advance and had insisted over and over that she had her husband's back in the matter, her true feelings were actually rather skewed. After all, what other choice did she have but to agree with her husband, the King? Any kind of disagreement could be viewed as treachery and the Queen was smart enough to know what happened to those poor souls who cried foul. The gallows were not forgiving and they certainly didn't spare anyone.

It wasn't that she abhorred the shedding of blood and the taking of a man's life to right a wrong. She actually condoned it where necessary. It was more an issue of how her husband had handled everything up until this point - why things had spiraled out of control in the first place. He had allowed the kingdom to fracture from within and with each passing day, it was becoming increasingly more difficult to stop it. An iron grip was not the answer, despite his way of thinking. He was out of line in that respect and she was very intent on righting his wrong...if and when the opportunity presented itself.

For now, she could only bide her time and conceal her true feelings. In order to do so, she would need to fit into the very mold she despised and offer these ladies exactly what they craved. She inwardly groaned at the thought, but kept telling herself it was only to reassure them and keep them silent.

She offered a small laugh, brushing off the incident as if it was a mere scuffle between two farmers over crops. "A direct and decisive political statement, nothing more, I assure you. With all the fracturing going on, do you blame us for taking action to stop the disease from spreading?"

She took another sip of her tea and allowed that information to sink in before continuing. "No one in particular was targeted. It was only intended to send a message and to remind them that we are watching. Anything more than that was probably started by the lowlife dregs that live up there in the mountains. You do know how they appreciate their ale and once they had a little too much, like to dream up ridiculous stories." She smiled at that last comment. "Dreadful, really."

TAG: spycoder9

Trieste and greyjedi125 like this.
  4. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    [​IMG]
    IC: Ser Lawrence Kildare
    The Mountains, Shodaire, the Tower of Stone Throne Room
    12 days before his wedding

It was such a soft hand. Women's hands were, but this one felt different. It was different. It was so unlike this land of stone that was so hard and unyielding. Nor was it abrasive like sand. His sisters' hands were not rough like their homeland, but they were not like Safia Rolmar's. Their hands were not like hers at all. Lawrence gently closed his hand around his betrothed and led her from the throne room, down the line of troops who had accompanied him all this way for this wedding. He led her past Illiza, who was inscrutable. She had played her part today, but she seemed frailer than Lawrence remembered. Only by degrees, and perhaps he was wrong about that. He did not look for long. He must not look now. There were things that he might think of and remember...

With relief his eyes fell upon Ser Rickard by the exit to the throne room. He paused, Safia's hand still in his, by the young knight. "We have traveled far and fast. Rest must be the order of the day for the party. Have their needs tended to for they richly deserve it." Lawrence was about to go when he was struck by a sudden remembrance. "And the boy. Make inquiries to see if they can find a place for him here in exchange for his lodging and well being." It was not much, but it was better than the rubble that he had been pulled from. It was a life.

Out of the throne room, Lawrence paused and turned his head towards Safia. "It seems I have now exhausted the extent of my familiarity with these halls," Lawrence said, "Seeing as this is your home, I submit myself to your leadership, my lady."

Tag: JediMasterAnne

5. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    20 Days Before the Wedding
    Isles, Breezecroft
    Castle

“Hah.” Korianton laughed once. “Like I would believe for a second that the King would accept a bumbling fool as of you to be trusted with such an important task.” He placed one hand on the edge of the door, preparing to slam it in Abott’s face. “If you wish to trick me, at least wash your face beforehand.”

And then, down the hall, the King’s door opened quickly. Gwenn rushed down the hall past them, ignoring any and everything. For several seconds there was silence, besides Korianton’s grumbling. Then the King’s door opened, and there he stood. Abott would notice the immediate change in Korianton’s demeanor. His back straightened, and he seemed to smile a bit. As it he wasn’t as angry as he had been only seconds before.

“Mister Tuckman,” the King nodded his head and smiled. “Please give me a few moments alone with Korianton? Has he told you about one of the main ships I do believe will be trusted in your care?”

Korianton shook his head. “No, I didn’t have the chance. He’s been too excited about the opportunity to allow me a word.” Nathaniel then turned to him and smiled. “The Naked Broad is waiting for you down on the docks. You’ll notice her from afar. Big, dark ebony, a true beauty. A tad old, but still with reasonable size space for your own cabins.” He paused for a moment, then chuckled once more.

“I’ll make sure he contacts you tomorrow on the extra details, but for the moment, I need to share a word.” He bid Abott ado and then followed Korianton into his chambers.

Shore

“I thought ye might be her'.”

Lukas always managed to find her.

He had known her for so long. He had known her, perhaps, even longer than she herself could remember. As children they had ran along the harbor together, avoiding guards and pirates and sailors. Causing mischief and mayhem with every step. And then as teenagers Lukas had changed a bit, perhaps, in that in those times on the harbor traveling girls had stopped him left and right. He shrugged them off with ease, preferring to spend time with her, but Gwenn would of noticed his lingering gaze on the girls.

Bastards, workers, and friends. And now. . .now something else. Something stranger, more raw, unique. He came up behind her and cast an arm over her shoulders. A first time occurrence, but warm and comforting.

“Stayed outside the castle fer awhile, but ye just storm’d past me. So I been walking the shore.” He could almost feel the pain and sorrow inside of her, and hugged her once more. Never had gotten so close, and yet it seemed right. “Did. . .did the king ask ye to work fer him?”

TAG: Mitth_Fisto, Jedi_padawan_leigh

6. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Lorain Ashkey
    Tavern Attic - Small, Abandoned Town - Desert - 19 Days before the wedding

Lorain ducked back down after she had scanned the roof. The buildings were really close together, so it seemed that the gods of fancy were at least in this moment, on their side. Lorain landed softly next to Fleet, giving him a knowing look. She chanced a brief look over at the doorway. It had grown quiet. Not necessarily a good sign. She looked back over at Fleet.

But Fleet didn't move a muscle, not yet. He simply looked up at her.

"We're taking Kaili with us. I won't leave her." he stated. Lorain looked the kid up and down. Even now, he was not going to abandon his friend. Not like he could carry the woman. But the boy was brave and loyal. Better example than those fools outside. Lorain gave the boy a nod.

"Aye. We be taking her with us, for I'd not leave no one to those dogs. Now, up you go. Buildings are close. Time for us to fly, little Ser." With that, she gestured for Fleet to get up the rafters, and nodded. "I will need your help." With the extra sheet, she gently wraps Kaili and then picks the woman up, as Fleet makes his way up to the opening she had made. With a grunt, Lorain picks up Kaili and makes her way up to the opening as well, being careful to keep the extra weight from shifting, using the sheet to help her balance the load of Kaili's weight. She then helps Fleet up through the opening. "Be careful where ya step, and I follow you. Move towards the shops." she whispered to him. Once she got Fleet out onto the roof, Lorain pushes and rolls Kaili out onto the roof, keeping a tight hold of the sheet. With and leap and a push, she then pulls up, hoisting herself up from the hole as well. She sits up, looking in the direction that Fleet is leading them, and then picks up Kaili to follow..

SNAP! CRASH!!!

With a snarl, Lorain looked back down into the hole, just in time to hear the wardrobe crash over. By the Gods, what were these men?! Could they not just leave them alone? She turned, and moved quicker now, the bundle of her wet
    clothes she kept with her, helping to balance out the extra weight of Kaili some. She pulled the thatching doing her best to hide the hole she had made, to buy them a few precious moments. She then made her way to where Fleet was waiting.

"They be in the room. Cant stay up 'ere too long." She whispered to Fleet. Since he seemed to move around to the other side of the building, the Knights would not see them immediately. And if the Gods felt really forgiving, they
    might see fit to make the Knights fall thru the roof, with all their extra weight. But just in case ..

"Here boy, hang tight." she stated, as she helped Fleet across by grabbing a hold of him, and gently tossing him to the next roof. She didnt have time to wait. They needed to move, fast. She then stepped back a few spaces, and
    leaped herself, swinging Kaili's weight forward to help her with the jump. She landed next on the next building.

"Move Fleet!" she told him as she held tightly to Kaili, moving in whatever direction Fleet was heading, as she tried to keep low.

TAG: greyjedi125, spycoder9

7. JediMasterAnne

JediMasterAnne Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    IC: Safia Rolmar
    The Mountains of Mirwyth
    Shodaire, the Tower of Stone
    Outside Throne Room—12 days before her wedding

It was a relief to get away from her relatives, but even so, Safia still felt nervous being alone with Ser Lawrence. While he stopped to speak to his second-in-command, Safia struggled to to think of something she might say. For all that she wanted to know more about him, she couldn’t seem to find the right questions beyond the clichéd ‘tell me about yourself.’ And to make matters worse, the only things that did go through her head were the nasty rumors she’d heard from Synthia and her little gang. A fine way to start things off with him. ‘I’ve heard stories of your finest hour at Aqarda, but perhaps you wouldn’t mind clearing up some rumors I’ve heard about your mother’s death?’ Definitely not appropriate.

It didn’t seem this hard with Matheus. Why is this so different?

Before she could muse on that any further, though, Ser Lawrence brought them to a stop just outside the throne room. "It seems I have now exhausted the extent of my familiarity with these halls," he said."Seeing as this is your home, I submit myself to your leadership, my lady."

Another hesitant smile crept across her face as she started down the corridor, leading him by the hand. “I could give you a tour of these halls if you like,” she offered. “Or if you’d rather, there is a parlor down this way where we can sit and talk.”

TAG: Trieste

8. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    OOC: Sorry for the skipping of other updates, but this one seemed to write itself. I'll back track and updates others next.

15 Days Before the Wedding
    The Capital of Mirwyth, Valona
    Dining Hall

“That must be it, your Grace.” The young lady nodded her head, taking a silent sip of her tea as well.

“But, your Queen,” a middle aged woman, easily recognized as Lady Giselle Herrondar, spoke up from her seat almost beside the Queen, “What if a battle did break out? And House Harrowmont was destroyed? My brother’s castle lies just a ways down the Brooke from there.” And the Queen would know Lady Giselle’s brother as well. Lord Rodrik "Alpha Wolf" Tarvick was legendary throughout Mirwyth for murdering a pack of wolves in vengeance of his brother's death. House Tarvick controlled the major crossing of the massive river that flowed through the mountains, a powerful place to most.

And Giselle wasn’t powerless herself. She had wedded a rather powerful lord of the Capital, and two of her five sons were employed in the Reynard garrison.

“Your brother is a traitor, Lady Herrondar.” Lady Gelsi said without a pause. She stared directly at the other woman as she spoke. “He allied himself to the false king Rolmar. I’m sure you know of this by now.”

“My brother is scared.” Giselle’s tone had fell grim. The whole room seemed silent. “House Tarvick is so far from the Capital, he fears for his safety. Imagine if he publicly announced his allegiance to the Rightful King?”

“I’d rather be a dead loyalist than a fearful traitor.” Lady Gelsi smirked, hiding her smile behind her cup of tea.

Lady Giselle fumed for several more, long seconds.

“It seems like, Lady Gelsi, it would be best if you could learn to hold your tongue. It is much easier to make enemies if you don't.” Lady Giselle met the other lady’s eyes, and a very uncomfortable silence ensued. “My Queen, Lord Tarvick and I have exchanged several letters over the past few weeks. It seems that the sight of bandits and outlaws has become even more common. One even managed to de-robe his daughter before he was able to stop it.”

“A penalty from the gods for his allegiance of a false king.” Lady Gelsi muttered over her tea.

“All I want is my family’s safety, and I’ve been assured they wish to remain loyal to you and the King.”

TAG: HanSolo29

9. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Small Abandoned Town-Desert Tavern

"We're taking Kaili with us. I won't leave her."

Fleet put on a brave face as he stood, looking at the large woman. He was in no position to make demands, but the fear that grasped at his heart after seeing Kaili's deteriorating condition, tore at the 'smart kid' that lived inside him. He was suddenly very afraid for her now, and his feeling helplessness was getting the best of him. He knew he couldn't lift Kaili even if he tried. Only after he'd opened his mouth did he realize his mistake, and how Lorain had already promised to carry his injured friend. The chagrined redness on his face must have given him away, as Lorain gave him a respectable once-over look.

"Aye. We be taking her with us, for I'd not leave no one to those dogs. Now, up you go. Buildings are close. Time for us to fly, little Ser." With that, she gestured for Fleet to get up the rafters, and nodded. "I will need your help."

Fleet shook his head in agreement, blinking away the tears in his eyes and snapping out of the on-set of panic. He gave Lorain a weak smile and was off like a shot, too glad to have direction. In an instant, he was up the rafters and in position. Looking down from his new vantage point, Fleet marveled at Lorain, at her strength and focus, at how she carried Kaili, cradled in her arms, which was something he'd wished he could do. As she came up, he feared for a second that the weight might be too much, but Lorain had instructed him to move through the opening and up to the roof proper. "Be careful where ya step, and I follow you. Move towards the shops." she whispered to him. He obeyed immediately and ascended. Once topside, Fleet looked around, squinting from the sunlight, after being inside the dim attic. He quickly oriented himself and after a moment, found the direction of the shops. Everything seemed so quiet, so still and desolate, unlike several days ago, when the attacks happened. Incredulously, Fleet watched as Lorain rolled Kaili onto the roof and then got herself up. Simply amazing. The look of urgency in the large woman's eyes snapped him out of his reverie and prompted him to move on. " This way..." he said. Lorain began to pick up Kaili, and at that moment, a crashing sound filled the room below.

CRASH!!

Lorain snarled and Fleet looked back at her, eyebrows raised in sudden surprise. "They be in the room. Can't stay up 'ere too long." She whispered to Fleet. He nodded in understanding, feeling his heart quicken inside his chest. To his credit, he stayed focused, thinking only of their safety. He didn't know how he was going to repay Lorain. He'd have to think of something, but 'after' they were all safe and sound. Carefully now, he picked his way through the roof, as he moved along in a crouched position. He tested the areas with his feet first, before moving onto them. Unsurprisingly, Fleet eventually came to a stop. There was a gap between roofs they'd need to cross, if they wished to progress. Fleet was about to turn around and say something, when he heard Lorain's voice come up suddenly. "Here boy, hang tight." she stated, then she helped Fleet across by grabbing a hold of him, and tossing him to the next roof.

"Nnnnnyyyaaaahhhhh!!!"

By the gods!!

After flailing his arms and legs like crazy, it was a surprise to him that he'd landed on his feet. Fleet looked back, his blue eyes wide in amazement and still feeling the rush at having traversed the gap in such manner. That woman had GIANT'S BLOOD in her! He just kew it. Amazed as he was, looking at the gap between the building quickly sobered him. "What 'bout yu?" He whispered in her direction, not sure what to expect. Then his eyes went even wider, to his utter amazement and simultaneous dread. Fleet watched as the large woman stepped back a few spaces, and leaped herself across, swinging Kaili's weight forward to help her with the jump. She landed next to him safe as can be. Fleet just stared at her, in utter and total disbelief.

"Move Fleet!"

Uh...right.right.

Fleet quickly snapped out of his 'daze' and adopted the same technique as before, moving along while crouched and testing the area for support. They had come too far now to fail, and he was feeling hopeful again, strange as that might seem. He couldn't explain it. With his eyes he looked ahead and around, with his ears he listened for anything and everything, good or bad. He now knew where the shops Lorain wanted were located and he would lead her to them. The smithy was not quite like the other buildings around it, and would be easier to spot. Hopefully they could get what they needed without incident, and -shaking his head, Fleet quickly dismissed the next thought. It was best to stay focused on one thing at a time. Without another word or moment wasted, the young urchin led the large woman and their wounded companion towards the shops, and silently prayed that no knights were in pursuit of them.

10. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    OOC: Several time and name mistakes on my part in previous posts. The Lord of House Tarvick is Fredrik, not Rodrik. And Rilwen, your characters are currently 18 Days Before the Wedding, not 12. Both mistakes on my part. :p I'll post this in our OCC Thread as well, but I wanted to mention it here first.

15 Days Before the Wedding
    Cyrell, Mountains
    Castlegrounds

For a day, the town was safe. Relatively, at least. Barring those regular scuffles between farmers over animals, things were quite peaceful.

And then, as the sun had reached the middle of the sky (while hardly noticeable from all the wispy clouds), the captain of the House Cyrell guard reported approaching horseman. Not many, just a small envoy. As the horseman came up the common road towards the castle grounds, the banner flapped in the wind. An otter was prominent - the sigil of House Tarvick. Gordon knew of the House, knew of it well actually. House Tarvick was only a few days ride away. They controlled the main passing of the Brooke, a massive river used as a main water resource in the mountains. The Lord of the House, Fredrik Tarvick, had made acquaintances with Gordon years before. They had actually been fairly good friends. Though when they both had become esteemed Lords, they had split apart, besides the few times they wandered near the others house.

As Gordon went out to the approaching men, the man on the leading steed slowed his pace to a trot. Slightly bearded, with dark brown hair, he resembled House Tarvick in some ways.

[​IMG]

“Lord Gordon Cyrell, I presume?” The man pronounced as he approached. “Rowan Stone, at your service. I come in the name of my lord father Fredrik.” It was then obvious to Gordon that this was the rumored legalized bastard of Lord Fredrik. “With me is Coree Mandlel, Captain of the Guard, and Ser Lire Pantree.” He leaped off his horse’s back and held out a hand for the lord to shake. This time, as he spoke, his voice was lower.

“I bring news of the siege on House Harrowmont.”

TAG: Lukes_Apprentice

11. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    IC: Ser Andras Maegorion and Keine Stone

Malik had asked where they were going; in truth, neither knight nor squire had entirely decided on that. The one place Ser Andras knew as safest in certain ways was too far while escorting these two. Even if they made for Swordstone, the home of the Maegorions, they'd need to find other places to stop along the way, which meant that to all intents and purposes the goal would still be some closer place first.

And he was not in any case eager to return home. On the positive side, Swordstone was full of strong blades; his family tended to marry their daughters to knights if no greater alliance could be made, and those knights were welcomed into Swordstone. The end result tended to be a large number of offshoot families of the core House, most of whom had been highly encouraged to become warriors, tied by blood allegiance to the family. Proud and fierce, the Maegorions had assiduously cultivated a sense of familial loyalty even beyond normal custom; to slight one Maegorion was to slight the family, and to harm one Maegorion was to invite swift retribution.

And there, too, was the downside. That pride, that unyielding wall of Maegorion solidarity, required all members of the family to maintain some sense of agreement; one who had not, could not, like Ser Andras, was a disappointment. Oh, he knew they'd still stand behind him against outsiders, for the honour of the family, but what he had done, and what had been done to him, made him feel almost an outsider himself.

He shook off his memories of the past, and beckoned to Keine, who came over immediately. Ser Andras thought a moment longer, then signed rapidly to Keine.

The squire nodded, and informed Malik, "We'll be heading for House Tarvick; we've been there before, and it seems the best destination for now."

House Maegorion

Ser Bevyn Maegorion glanced back over his shoulder as he rode, looking to those who followed him. Maegorion soldiers formed the outer rank, protecting members of the family. They were fast approaching one of the smaller Rolmar castles, intending to meet with Samule Rolmar, so that Brynna could be presented to him for their first actual meeting.

That young lady currently rode amidst the group, grey eyes dancing with excitement, looking forward to their destination. She'd been eagerly anticipating this meeting for some time now, anxious to finally meet the young man to whom it had been agreed she would be betrothed. She was not thinking, yet, about having to live away from Swordstone and her family; only on the day would she likely realise how much she was going to miss her home.

Her dreams of a handsome and heroic husband were tempered with a steady determination to prove herself, to show how much she'd learned. A Rolmar would need her knowledge; those hours of study on running a household would be valuable, and the dignity she'd been trained to assume would look well beside a son of so important a family.

Of course, her father was keeping his own counsel on Samule; when they met, he would form his own private judgement on the young man, and see just how suited Samule was for Brynna Maegorion.

TAG: spycoder

12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    [​IMG]
    The Mountains, Shodaire, the Tower of Stone

"I have no doubt that I will fully come to know the Tower of Stone over the next two weeks," Lawrence said, "I think I would find privacy vastly preferable. After all, so much of our lives have been--and will be--lived publicly. It is part of the responsibility that we carry by virtue of our birth. It is not a responsibility that either of us asked for--" Lawrence stopped midsentence because he couldn't help but chuckle. "Forgive me, but I find it amusing. Not only did I not ask for such things, but I deliberately put such things aside when I became a knight. Not that much was expected of me in House Kildare, but despite reputations to the contrary the Ladies of the Fair Groves have found men quite useful in our history.

"But what was I saying?" Lawrence said, "Ah, yes. To answer your question, today I would rather get to know you than I would this castle."

13. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    IC: Gwenn Cliffe
    Shore

“I thought ye might be her'.”

Gwenn had been staring out onto the crashing waves for she didn’t know how long, lost in a whirlwind of thoughts when his voice brought her back to the now. A small sad smile crossed her lips as she heard him come up behind her. Lukas. He always seemed to know where to find her, though it wasn’t surprising when they had grown up together as they had. From innocent babes to mischievous little children, from awkward teenagers and beyond into adulthood, neither had been very far from each other. And now their bond had changed, from one of friendship to something new… something raw and unexplored.

She felt his arm come to rest about her shoulders, a simple gesture but one most welcome considering how she was currently feeling. She always found comfort and support with him, and he had been by her side during times both good and bad, Kindred spirits in a world where they were berated and looked down upon, for reasons that were beyond their control.

And very soon, after all those years, the two of them would be parted.

“Stayed outside the castle fer awhile, but ye just storm’d past me. So I been walking the shore.”

She heard him say, and a pang of guilt welled up inside her as he pulled her into a hug. She felt exhausted after her encounter with the king, both physically and mentally and despite her best efforts to try and remain strong she found herself surrendering to his embrace, closing her eyes, feeling the warmth of his body against her own, chasing away some of the coastal chill.

“Did. . .did the king ask ye to work fer him?”

Gwenn sighed heavily, opening her eyes and pulled gently away from him, holding him at arm’s length. She forced herself to look him in the face. Lost grey eyes met concerned green and it took all her resolve not to crumble right then and there. She nodded her head despondently.

“The king has asked me te go te Delmaristead, but…

she trailed off, struggling to find the words. This was so hard! She was still reeling from the kings revelation. It still didn’t seem real. She needed to tell Lukas, he was the one person that she trusted, truly trusted. Still, she couldn’t deny that she was nervous and a little worried about how he would react. Taking a few seconds to try and compose herself again she continued

“…somethin’ else has happened, and if I tell ya, ye have te promise to keep it te yerself…”

She pleaded to him, her voice falling uncharacteristically quiet as the torrent of emotions threatened to overwhelm her once again. She lightly squeezed Luka’s arm and let out a shaky breath“

…twenty-six years ago me mother lay wi' a sailor an’ I was the result… but the sailor gave up his seafarin’ days and rose up te become a lord…and more recently, a king…”

She gave him a moment to process her words. To anyone else they would sound like something out of a children’s fable or a drunken sailors tale , but the look in her eyes said it all. They contained no trace of lie or jest in their grey depths

“Lukas… Nathaniel Delmari is me father”

greyjedi125 and Trieste like this.
  14. afellowjedi

afellowjedi Jedi Knight

May 22, 2011
    Diana Cupiditas

12 days before the wedding.
    Delmaristead Harbor

Diana froze. When she had stepped out in to the open form with the crowd she was half convinced that she would be shot through with an arrow for her outburst, but as the captain of the vessel approached she now thought the arrow would have been more merciful. The prang of hurt and that ran through her heart was enough to take the wind from her.
    ‘Treyvor Dondare’
    Why that man of all men had to walk out of that ship? She had left him and his memory in the desert; the desert where the cold nights and harsh days seemed to suck the life from all, where her life once bloomed and faded. She gripped her satchel as he approached her, her hurt quickly turning into anger.
    “Diana Rynquist,” He smirked, though the corner of his mouth twitched nervously, “It’s been awhile indeed.”
    He was nervous but it was still him, older and now roughed by a life at sea, but that voice, that voice which alone drew her, was the same. She steeled herself, and put out her hand to be grasped in acquaintance, as a woman of her stasis dictated.
    “Cupiditas. It’s Diana Cupiditas actually. ”, he might think she was married by now, good, let him feel a taste of her pain.
    “You should of come out sooner, these people thought you supported the false king of Delmaristead. ” those words seem to almost taste fowl on her tongue, curse these rebels, look at what trouble they bring to her.
    “Please…sir, much has changed very quickly and I would rather speak to you in private. ” she cringed slightly, she didn’t want to be alone with him and yet despite herself she truly wanted too as well.
    Fates help me.’

greyjedi125 likes this.
  15. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Abott Tuckman
    Isles, Breezecroft Castle

It was an involuntary action but a practiced one that when you have someone threatening you soundly followed by an unidentified noise. A fact most traders learn as kids, you step back so as to have a start if you need to run, and a warning if they strike. The fact that the noise was from the scabbords quarters, and that the woman he had brought, and altered for such a meeting was broken up at leaving had him pause. Just as surely as it did the rusty steel to see part of his story somewhat validated. Only in validating the board had also had the indescency to rush by without recognition of him, and without having a disheveled dress! Which meant a probably unhappy King was sure to come out next and his step now felt woefully inadequate as he looked at the steel and swallowed.

Then it happened, and he took a half step back up the hall away from the scabbords door. The fact that the scabbord himself had now exited seemed to have an interesting effect on the rusty steel, as though it seemed to find a way to polish itself to a respectible sheen in the moments it took the scabbord to come. All the better to be a place for it to rest of course, a good scabbord is hard to find, as well is a steel that will properly fit. Although this steels pommel seemed to be a rather elaborate design to work as it just had, perhaps a tad enchanted? Rare but risky such things always were.

Nodding at the scabbords words he bobbed his hat and curls. Yes, the steel was quick to cut with polish so that he was surprised that bubbles did not form upon the uttering lips. Still the scabbord replied and the steel sung with quick report and gave him a clue to one ship he at least would get from such. Something he would have to look into later. Although as the scabbord spoke once more and bid him ado until the following day when messengers would liable be sent to let him in on the finer details he raised his hat in salute just enough to set his curls to bobbing once more before he stood now looking at a closed door. The scabbord wanted time alone with the steel and the board had dashed into the evening.

Either a messenger would come or a steel desiring to be red would find him tomorrow and with hurried steps he retreated. He had to find the board and discover what had happened, and he had to check out the potential ship he was going to be commanding a trading expedition from. Although the later without the secure reasurence of the former might yet prove hallow, the scabbord had seemed an understanding sort concerned for his people. Hopefully that meant the steel would yet shine without the shades of red begotten from himself tomorrow, but a reasurance would go far for his nerves if he was to better tomorrow.

16. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    The Mountains of Mirwyth
    12 days before her wedding

The parlor it was, then. Not that she minded; it meant she could focus solely on him, without having to pay attention to where they were going. He was right, there would be plenty of time for exploring the Tower later.

As she led him down the hall, she found herself thinking on his words about how much of their lives were subject to public scrutiny. That had been all too true for her during her betrothal to Matheus; Valona’s citizens were quite interested and curious about their then-future-princess, and she’d often felt as if the courtiers of the Capital were constantly watching her every move, as if waiting for her to do something wrong. It had been one of the pitfalls of being engaged to the prince of Mirwyth.

But she wasn’t about to say anything like that to Ser Lawrence. He probably wouldn’t appreciate being reminded of her previous betrothal, and she certainly did not want him to find out the true extent of her feelings for Matheus. Whatever she had felt for Matheus no longer mattered now.

All she said was, “I can definitely understand wanting to stay out of the public eye. But, as you said, it does come with the territiory.”

17. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    [​IMG]

Lawrence nodded by way of response to Safia's comment. This was not going quite so well as he would have hoped. Safia was polite, yes, but she seemed reserved. Perhaps he had expected much from his upbringing in Kalkheim. Women, even if ladies, were more inclined to speak their minds, even if still constrained by some societal norms. Well, most of them. Chelsee when she could get away with it...

Then again, what had he expected? They had met mere minutes before. The commonplace niceties were motions that had to be gone through, even if empty and hollow.

They came to the parlor and Lawrence opened the door for Safia. He did happen to know something about chivalry, after all. Once she had passed inside, he drew it closed behind him and took a seat near the Princess, but still separated by a respectful distance. After all, they weren't married yet and there were rules to formal courtship. Not all of them were strictly observed, but this was still the first meeting. And there was a matter that Lawrence had been revolving in his mind for quite some time.

"My lady, I earlier talked of our responsibilities as people raised to high social station. Not only must we live to be seen by all, but sometimes our choices must be guided by our concern for others and not our own desires. I realize that, if you had no one else to consider, no duty to family or people, you would likely entrust your heart to another. I am nothing but a stranger in a strange land--" Funny, hadn't Lawrence thought that before somewhere? "--and I do not claim your love as mine. I have no right to do so. I only hope that, perhaps, in time, I might come to deserve some part of your affections. I am not a perfect man--" A thought of Illiza flashed in Lawrence's mind, a dark blot. It was something that he needed to tell Safia about. It was not a thing that a man who was thought to be pure should hold back from a wife-to-be. It was also not something to mention until they were better acquainted.

"--but I promise to be a dutiful husband. I apologize that our nuptuals will take you from your home. If it is any consolation, my sisters will almost certainly think higher of you than they do of me." Lawrence couldn't help but smile self-deprecatingly.

18. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    The Mountains of Mirwyth
    Parlor—12 days before her wedding

She knew he was trying to be reassuring, but as he spoke, Safia actually found herself feeling a little guilty. It was like he saw right through her; some of his words hit closer to home than he probably realized.

She truly was trying to set aside any thoughts of Matheus, but it was hard not to think of him when she compared the easy casualty of her first meeting with him to this. She wanted to like Ser Lawrence, and hoped that one day she could even love him, but just now she could barely figure out what to say to him. He spoke of being a stranger in a strange land, but why did she feel so out of her element?

She of course did not expect him to be a perfect husband, but she wanted more than dutiful. But at the same time, it would not be fair for her to ask more of him than what she thought herself capable of. She could be a dutiful wife, but she certainly could not say with confidence that she could love him. She wanted to, hoped to, yes, but she could not make her heart feel what it did not.

I’ve only just met him. All I can do for now is wait and see. And hope. As she got to know him better, her feelings might change.

“I cannot deny that I will miss it here once we have gone back to the Fair Groves,” she finally said, “but I also hope that in time I may eventually come to think of Kalkheim as my home as well.

“As to your sisters,” she added, a bemused smile creeping across her face. She was beginning to relax a little. “Though I am glad that you think they will like me, I can’t see how they could think ill of their famous brother.”

19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    IC: The Queen, Emilia Reynard
    Dining Hall, The Capital

The Queen silently watched the exchange between the two women, occasionally taking a sip of her tea to cool her emotions. They spoke of the 'Alpha Wolf' himself, but in reality, it was they who were behaving like ravenous wolves. It was all quite primal and again, the Queen feared for the future. Never mind the real conflict and the impending danger of war, they were too worried about bringing each other down. No wonder the Kingdom was so divided. Perhaps what they needed for peace was to wipe everyone out and start with a clean slate. It was a such a ludicrous idea, but she had to admit, it would truly give her some satisfaction.

The Queen lowered her tea cup back to the tabletop and cleared her throat as she situated herself to address Lady Gelsi. "Lady Gelsi, please," she began with a fake smile. "Let's not be so presumptuous. We do not want to do our part in escalating this conflict. I'm sure Lord Tarvick has his reasons for his actions...if they are even true."

The last part was spoken like a threat as she held Lady Gelsi's gaze. In a way, it was also a challenge: 'Go ahead; try that again. You will find that your allies are scarce and you will be on your own. Such a dangerous position to be in for a woman of your standing.'

A heavy silence followed the Queen's warning. She took this opportunity to address Lady Giselle next. The Queen couldn't be sure, but she thought she saw the other woman's hand's quaking in fear. Her imagination, she presumed.

"Lady Giselle, if Lord Tarvick is indeed in peril, he merely needs to send for our assistance. I can personally vouch for our allegiance and I will see to it personally that he is well taken care of." She lowered her chin and her tone turned darker. "Unless of course, he is hiding something as Lady Gelsi suggested. If he truly has a clear conscious, why not seek us out earlier? Can I assume that Lord Tarvick is still in good standing with His Majesty?"

She chuckled to herself and swirled her spoon around in her tea idly. "I'd rather not have to launch an investigation into the matter."

greyjedi125 likes this.
  20. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    19 Days Before the Wedding
    Desert Coast, Mirwyth
    Abandoned Town, Rooftops

An arrow notched in the roofing an inch from Fleet’s foot.

Standing down below them, on the streets, was the scrawny man from before, Burney. In his hands was a bow, and an arrow was securely notched in it. No longer did he look weak and strange. Muscles rippled in his thin arms as another arrow soared by. It snagged in Lorain’s pants, but only caught the loose fabric to the side.

And then, from behind them, the hole in the roof snapped wide open, even more than before. Two hands came out, followed by arms and then a head. The flowing red hair shone in the bright desert sun. And on the man’s face was a complete snarl. Ser Kaleb Sand meant business.

“LORAIN!” He roared as he yanked himself up. “Damn you! That woman you’re holding is a damn criminal!” He hoisted himself to his feet, and then unsheathed his sword from his side. “If you try to run away with her, you’ll be imprisoned for obstructing the king’s justice!" And then the skinny man down below notched another arrow and aimed, refraining from shooting until he got the word from the knight. "On the coast. . .you seemed better than this!"

He calmly jumped over the passing between rooftops, slowly approaching the trio.

"Just lay her down and put your hands up." He offered a reassuring smirk. "We don't want to hurt you."

[​IMG]
    Ser Kaleb Sand, in full armor

TAG: Ktala, greyjedi125

21. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    [​IMG]

Her reply deftly sidestepped the main purpose of his unburdening of his heart to Safia. It was a reminder that in the relations of men and women, frontal assaults were sometimes just as useless as those on the battlefield. Then again, it was quite a salvo to unless upon her so soon. Better she know that he understood and have her say nothing than to let her think that such thoughts never passed his mind. This would all take time, a great deal of time. Perhaps it was for the best that she brought the conversation around to other things for the moment now that the heavy business was out of the way...at least on his end. Who knew what surprises his fiancee might still hold?

"Doubtless you have heard that we practice a female primogeniture in the Fair Groves," Lawrence said, "One of the byproducts of such practices is that women tend to be given slightly more free rein than in other places, at least as my travels have shown me in the Desert. All three of my sisters were groomed, to varying degrees, to one day succeed my mother. Whether or not anyone intended it, they had enough freedom to pursue interests beyond what I am made to understand is the...standard curriculum for a woman of nobility." Chelsee's swordplay came to mind...but best to ease Safia into some of the peculiarities of his family. "I have no doubt that you will be given the same freedom yourself. Do you have any thoughts as to what you might do with such liberty? Or, in plainer and more familiar terms, what is it that you do for your own enjoyment?"

His keffiyeh was beginning to cause his head to become a little warm in these stone halls built to protect against the cold, but he had suffered under heat before. At least there was no chance of a sandstorm in these halls.

22. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    The Mountains of Mirwyth
    Parlor—12 days before her wedding

She paused a moment to consider before answering. Free time wasn’t something she’d had a lot of lately, but when she did—“My hobbies vary; I never knew my mother, so it fell to my aunts and older female cousins, during their occasional visits, to teach me such occupations that were deemed appropriate for a young lady: sewing, music and the like…I do not think I was the most cooperative student at the time. It wasn’t until I had spent some time in the Capital that I developed a better appreciation for those talents.” She pushed quickly past even that brief mention of Valona, to avoid letting even her thoughts linger there. “When the weather permits, my brothers and I will sometimes take our horses out for a ride.”

She still was not certain of how Ser Lawrence might personally feel about her not-so-lady-like pastimes, but she was beginning to think that he would not be very disapproving, if at all. I have no doubt that you will be given the same freedom yourself, he’d said. “My eldest brother and one of my cousins taught me sword-fighting and archery, for self-defense. Much to the disapproval of my aunt. I still go down to the yard to practice every so often.

“And you? What do you like to do with your time when you’re not occupied with your duties?”

23. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    [​IMG]

"That is an excellent question," Lawrence said, "seeing as when I set aside my knightly vows I will no longer be Knight Commander of the Fair Groves my official duties will be considerably lessened. Though with the times we live in, I doubt that my skills will be less than useful. Though it seems we have some things in common, though I suspect that you could put me to shame on the archery range." He smiled. "It was never a strong suit.

"But that doesn't the answer of what I do when I'm not doing such things..." Lawrence admitted. He thought. So much of his life had been spent defending the Fair Groves, out on patrol, or training for such things. He had never thought that perhaps he would not be doing such things. That was a question for old age, not his prime. And yet now he faced it to a small degree. "Well, in truth, I always liked history when it was included in my studies. To learn about things of old, to learn from them fascinated me. I have not had much time for such pursuits for some time, but perhaps now I will have more time to devote to such pleasures.

"Though, I will say that I enjoy spending time in the saddle, even when not required by my duties. I would welcome the opportunity to see more of your home by horseback."

24. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Lorain Ashkey
    Desert Coast, Mirwyth, Abandoned Town, Rooftops - 19 Days Before the Wedding

As Lorain turned to follow Fleet, she barely had time to blink as she saw an arrow notched in the roof barely missing Fleet's foot. The one she had seen earlier, the one called Burney, was holding a bow, and it looked liked he meant business. Another arrow soared by, barely missing her leg. But she barely had time to register that fact, when the rooftop on the building they had just left, exploded open behind them. Lorain scooted Fleet over, from the edge of the roof, as she turned, putting herself in front of the boy.

Two hands came out, followed by arms and then a head. The flowing red hair shone in the bright desert sun. And on the man’s face was a complete snarl. Ser Kaleb Sand.

“LORAIN!” He roared as he yanked himself up. She suppressed a sigh, as the man continued to rant at her. “Damn you! That woman you’re holding is a damn criminal!” He hoisted himself to his feet, and then unsheathed his sword from his side. “If you try to run away with her, you’ll be imprisoned for obstructing the king’s justice!" She noticed Burney readying another arrow. "On the coast. . .you seemed better than this!" Ser Sand called out to her. Lorain had not pulled the hidden weapon that Fleet had given her yet. She gave him a hard look. "Yeah..well, so did YOU." she called back to him. She signaled to Fleet with her hands. He needed to keep an eye open. One man was missing. She did not want them to suddenly be surprised by another man.

She watched as the Knight calmly jumped over the passing between rooftops, slowly approaching them. "Just lay her down and put your hands up." He offered a reassuring smirk. "We don't want to hurt you."

Lorain snorted. "Of that, Im sure." She gently laid Kaili down gently, but not putting her hands up. Keeping them near her sides. "Like im sure you were just bringing this one to justice, when decided to cut her up like a carp, and leave her for dead now." Lorain snarled. "Or this boy. Bet his story would be a bit different now, eh?." Lorain stared hard at the man. "Funny, you being there at the beach. An's leading's me into an empty town. With no bodies. Cept them." Lorain crouched now, keeping her distance from the man. "And after spending several days as a captive on a pirates ship, forgive me if I not be believing ya words. 'Specially when ya be explaining yerself with steel in ya hands."

Barney might be a good shot, but with the buildings being so close together, he was limited in where he could shoot, before he would have to move to gain another shot. And he was on the ground. That was a plus. But in truth, Lorain was a bit lost in what to do next. Trying to fight one on one, with a Knight in armor, on the rooftops was NOT what she had in mind. But she didnt want to endanger Fleet either. She gave a brief glance over at Fleet, and then snorted.

"So. Convince me. Keep the boy outta this." Lorain told the man. She was doing her best, to try to buy some time, as she tried to figure out her next move.

The way they had keep staring at her, when they had walked to this town. Something was not adding up. She wondered if they really were knights. They didnt seem like the knights she had heard stories of.

TAG: greyjedi125, spycoder9

25. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Desert Coast, Mirwyth
    Abandoned Town, Rooftops

"AAYY!"

Fleet yelped as the unexpected arrow missed piercing his foot by a mere inch.
    He came to an immediate halt and his momentum was spoiled as he prepared to jump unto the next rooftop. Thankfully he was able to keep his balance and not fall headlong unto the ground below. Fear and adrenalin shoot through his system all over again, and the little hope of escaping quickly vanished with it. Below their position, he saw the scrawny man from before, holding a bow. As Fleet took a few steps back away from the edge, his mind also had the odd thought, as he hoped he never grew up to look that scrawny and uncomely. Did the man eat at all?

Behind them, a loud crashing sound caught his attention. He whirled around in time to see the knight with red hair burst through the hole in the roof they'd just come from just moments ago.

"LORAIN!" he bellowed at the top of his lungs. "Damn you! That woman you're holding is a damn criminal!"

Fleet's head automatically turned towards Kaili's unconscious form, as she was cradled by the large woman, their protector. Fleet's eyebrows knotted. There was NO WAY he believed Kaili was a 'criminal'. The Knight was clearly a liar. What did Kaili steal? a loaf of bread??

The sharp and distinctive sound of the knight drawing his sword made him turn yet again. But wait, Lorain had moved now, blocking most of his view as she placed herself in harms way yet again. Fleet started to shake. He needed giant's blood! It obviously conveyed immeasurable courage and strength enough to burn away all fear. How else was Lorain so brave?

"If you try to run away with her, you'll be imprisoned for obstructing the king's Justice!"

That statement gave Fleet momentary pause. He'd heard that prison was the first step to an early grave, and what a terrible and painfully long step it was. But if this knight was dispensing the 'king's justice' as he claimed, then he was hurting innocent people. He was hurting his friends. Fleet didn't like that. Did that mean he didn't like the king?

"Kaili is NOT a 'crim'nal!!" Fleet shouted in protest. Fear was now turning to anger, and anger made one bold…or reckless.

Lorain and the red haired knight traded words now, and Fleet looked about now during their exchange as 'instructed' by Lorain who had signaled for him to 'look out'. Fleet realized one man was missing from the three they had seen earlier, and who was to say there were not more trying to capture them. Why were they putting themselves through all this trouble??

Fleet got down on his stomach, making himself harder to hit by arrows. He saw Lorain crouching low now, looking quite menacing, as if ready to pounce. He looked over, and saw Kaili lying there, so very still. Her wrappings already stained red with her blood. He couldn't think about that now, he needed to stay focused.

With almost desperate motions, Fleet used the dirk he had to stab a hole in the roof they stood on. He needed to see what was below them. If the Knight was foolish enough to start a fight on the roof, well….that offered some options, but whatever they did, they had to do it fast. It was clear to him that surrendering wasn't quite the first thing on their minds, though the cost of freedom might be high, but how high he could not wager.

He took another look around them, to see who might be trying to sneak up on them.