main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fantasy A War of Kings

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by spycoder9, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    OOC: Combined with Spycoder. (Who also suggested the music :) )

IC: Gwenn Cliffe
    Shore / Breezecroft

Lukas lowered his arm from her shoulders, falling backwards a step or two. The words had come almost as blows. His lip quivered once, twice even, as he struggled with words. Finally he simply turned back to the horizon, his jaw set tight. His mind seemed to go everywhere at once. He tried to meet her eyes, but they only reminded him of the sea. And he knew, just the slightest glance, and he'd be lost.

“Ye. . .ye realize what this means, don’t ye?” Lukas finally murmured. “Ye have to go.”

The guilt that Gwenn felt at that moment tore at her insides as she saw his reaction. The cold coastal winds seemed to seep into her bones as Lukas stepped away from her and gazed out towards the sea. She instinctively went to take a step towards him but halted, not wanting to push her luck and upset him further. It had been so long since she had seen Luka’s this upset, and it hurt so much to see him like this, especially knowing that it was all her fault. She sighed heavily and shook her head

“Do I?” She asked the back of Luka‘s head, the guilt she felt rolling off her in waves. “Lucas, he might be a king but the man is a complete stranger te me! Fer twenty-six years me father has been a faceless nameless no-one, An’ within a day this man swans in an’ turns me life upside down!” She threw her arms up in frustration “I honestly dunno what worth he see‘s in me!”

She snapped, feeling herself starting to lose control as all the raw emotion of the last few hours threatened to overwhelm her once more. Trailing off, she sucked in a deep breath to try and calm herself down. It was true. Gwenn couldn’t imagine Nathaniel’s wife, Queen Kalera and his true born daughter would react very well to him bringing home a long lost illegitimate child like one would bring home a stray dog. For the first time in a long time, Gwenn felt scared and lost. Fighting past the lump forming in her throat her grey gaze settled back onto the young man gazing out onto the ocean.

“Lukas, I never asked fer any of this te happen…”

“Ye may not of asked, Gwenn, but ye got it anyway. And ye have to do it. This is ye one chance to get outta her’, to find ye a better life. And a family! Ye’d have a family, or at least a father who’d care for ye. And he might even legalize ye, if he’d wish.” Lukas walked up to her and gripped her arms, making her look at him and read his lips. “I love ye, more than I’ve loved anyone else in my life, but this's ye chance.”

He held her gaze.

“Take it.”

Gwenn blinked in surprise. Legalize her? Nathaniel Delmari was a king, if she had been trueborn, would that have made her a princess? At any other time the suggestion would have caused her too laugh out loud, but now was not the time for jokes. She would be a princess when pigs sprouted wings and ants could pick up whole mountains. He spoke of family, but she doubted she would be welcomed into the Delmari family fold with open arms. Her family, her true family were right here, the men and women in service to house Moorecroft, those who had helped support and raise her after her mothers death, those who didn’t begrudge or judge the manner of her birth. Another large part of her life she would be leaving behind… The look in Luka’s eyes reflected his words, she loved him too, but the thought that she may never see him again caused pain to bloom anew deep inside her. At that moment she remembered the dream she had experienced the night before.

“You can’t stay ‘ere, Gwenn. You gotta find a betta place than ‘ere.”

“So I get the chance of a new life, but what about ye? She asked, her voice laced with worry “There’s talk of war comin’, an’ then there’s Slade…if anythin happen’s te ya…”

"There's a war a comin," Lukas nodded as he spoke, almost convincing himself of it. "If I. . .if I join the cause, mayhaps I'd get called to Delmaristead. And I'd get to see ye face, and the smile on it. Cause I know ye'd be happier there." Then he shook his head.

"Forget all a this talk." He stepped close, his breath warm and almost minty from his supper. "We got two days together. I'm gonna spend em wisely." And he leaned forward once, locking his lips with her's. A sad kiss, salty almost from the few stray tears that had made their way down Lukas's face. The ocean waves, crashing against the jagged rocks, were the only sounds heard as their lips remained pressed together. Finally he broke away.

"Come on." He pressed his hand in her's, motioning down the coast. He smiled that mischievous, innocent grin again, one that had been a constant in their childhood.

They spent the rest of the day together, Walking along the coast, reminiscing, telling stories. They passed some cliffs and Gwenn looked up at them. When they were younger, She and Lukas and the other kids used to jump off of them into the sea during the height of the summer season. She would have probably done it again for old times sake if she wasn’t wearing the restrictive dress. At the waters edge, Lucas challenged her to a game of skipping stones, which quickly descended into chaos as they both tried to find ways of putting each other off.

It was late by the time they both returned to the Moorecroft estate, the sun had long gone down, replaced by a bright moon and a chill in the air. Stopping outside of her quarters, she thanked Lukas and bid him goodnight. Once inside she walked over to her sleeping space, Stripping off the borrowed dress and changed into something more comfortable. Lying down, she rolled onto her side and pulled the sheet tightly around her. After the exhausting and emotional day she had just gone through, both her body and mind craved rest and it didn’t take long for her eyes to drift closed

~~~

A table stood before her in the middle of the room, and upon it lay a plate of food. It looked delicious, warm fresh vegetables on top of which lay a small colourful rainbow trout. Gwenn eyed it curiously as she walked towards it, but as she went to sit down, The room she had been standing in disappeared in the blink of an eye, and she found herself standing waist deep in the ocean. Before her stood a small island, and it was burning, smoke blackened the sky and fires were spreading violently, consuming everything in their path.

“Help us! Oh gods help us!”

The sounds of screaming filled the air, and as she looked towards the shore she saw figures within the flames. People…people she knew! She saw Cold-eyes, the old drunkard Dylan and Yarla the maid and many more people she recognised. They were scared, frantic, crying. They saw her standing amongst the waves and cried her name, pleading for help.

“Hold on!”

She yelled back as she went to take a step, but a flash of panic went through her when she discovered she couldn’t move! She felt something heavy around her legs below the surface of the water, holding her in place. She thrashed and kicked and screamed in frustration as she tried and free herself, but it was all in vain. The anguished voices seemed to get louder as the flames spread further.

“Please! Help us, we beg of you!”

Her grey eyes went wide as she noticed three more figures within the inferno and her heart almost stopped when she realised who they were.

King Nathaniel

Her Mother

Lukas

“No! Please! No!”

She cried out in despair as the flames started to enclose around them like a deadly cocoon. Gwenn could only watch helplessly as the fire claimed them. Their dying screams overwhelming her as everything suddenly went dark…”

~~~

Gwenn gasped as she jolted upright, her eyes filled with fear as she glanced frantically about her, dazed as her consciousness was catapulted back from the realm of sleep. She was sitting up on her pallet in the woman’s quarters, her body drenched in a cold sweat and her thin sheet tangled about her legs. There was no burning, no smoke no screaming, The room was dark, the air still and quiet save for the sounds of the other women breathing or shifting in their sleep. Breathing heavily, she untangled the sheet from her person. A nightmare… she hadn’t had such an intense dream since she was a child. She drew in a long breath to try and calm her nerves. Her eyes were watery and she reached up to touch her face, her trembling fingers meeting hot tears that were running down her cheeks.

TAG: spycoder9

Stryker01 likes this.
  2. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    IC: Ser Andras Maegorion, Keine Stone
    Snowy Ford

Ser Andras nodded, and stepped forward, holding out his slate. Upon it he had written everything he could recall of Harrowmont and the Capitalmen there; all they'd observed, and whatever he and Keine had managed to coax out of Malik and Rosa. His shorthand sign language wasn't always precise enough for this kind of information, but the written word could be delivered in its entirety.

"We did kill a few of them as are listed there, m'lord, when we came in the gate," Keine noted quietly, his voice losing the confident ring that indicated his speaking for his master.

TAG: Winged_Jedi, spycoder9

3. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    20 Days Before the Wedding
    Isles, Breezecroft
    Docks, Sunset

As the evening sun had begun to set in the sky, the docks slowly became less crowded. Of course the taverns boarding the coast were booming with activity. Raucous laughter and loud voices were the norm of those places. As Abott Tuckman approached the docks, he might notice, on a cliff far to the left, the board’s dress catching some of the rays of light as she disappeared over the side. The walk would be tiresome to reach her, almost impossible really to catch up, making it much easier to simply approach her the following day with questions.

Perched in the middle of the many ships, the Naked Broad was obvious. Her stark ebony beauty would blow even the simplest of sailors away. Her name was emblazoned across the side in deep ingrained letters. Currently, standing on her prow, was a brawny man with rippling muscles beneath his shirt. His back was turned to Abott as he lifted one crate up and carried it off the ship.

A hand stroked his shoulder the same moment a knife came to rest at his neck. He was pulled backwards and into an alleyway between buildings, with the Naked Broad still in sight though.

“Interested in the Naked Broad, are you?” A feminine voice, very soft, whispered in his ear. It contained some sort of accent, one from a land far from Mirwyth.

“Tell me now why you’ve been staring at my ship so intently, or I will have my knife so deep in your neck the king himself won’t be able to pull it out.”

TAG: Mitth_Fisto

4. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    IC: Fleet
    19 Days before the wedding,
    Desert Coast, Mirwyth, Abandoned Town

The Knight was dead.

Why was misery always dogging his every step, no matter where he went. What had he done? He simply could not fathom it. Fleet felt that old feeling trying to creep up back into his chest and grip his heart, the one that made him want to curl up and have it all be done with, but his spirit would not hear any of it, as it reminded him of Lorain, the giant woman.
    Fleet did not look back as he continued scanning. What he remembered most about the smithy was the smell and the general location, so he followed his senses. It was quite a wonder how sharp the senses became when one was near starvation almost all the time and the need to survive was always high. But like Kaili, it was Lorain who'd come to their rescue. He owed them both his life and so much more, how could he ever repay them. Well, even if he didn't think he could, helping to find refuge was a good beginning, and that's just what he intended to do.

Being the quickest in their party and the least encumbered, the young boy darted almost noiselessly upon the rooftops of the town, stopping now and again to get his bearing and correct his direction. The fact that the two women needed him to track the smithy without error did not escape him.

"What's all that bangin'…oh, and that smell? I think I knows it, but…" Fleet's head turned to look around as he tried to pinpoint the source, Kaili gave a light laugh while the two walked together through the town's main street in their search for lodging. "That would be the smithy, my young Ser." She said with a friendly wink of her eye. "Aye!" Fleet agreed, looking up at her and smiling openly. He took another bite from the bread bun she had acquired for them and quickened his pace to match hers. It would be dark soon and they had yet to find a place to stay.

The memory had come suddenly and unbidden, and Fleet fought back the emotions that threatened to tear down his focus. He had to find the smithy! For all their sakes. Stopping, he closed his eyes for a moment and took a deep breath, trying to center his runaway emotions. Stay focused. The few people that had actually mattered to him had thought him that much. This is how one got to 'live another day', step by step. It was then that he felt a hand on his shoulder and he almost jumped in surprise. "Oh!!" he said in relief, as he realized that it was only Lorain. He smiled, oh so glad that she was there. The large woman signaled him with a head motion and pointed towards a nearby sign. It was the smithy. "…gods old n' neu! Yu found it!" He exclaimed in a whisper.

He was about to look for a way down, but Lorain took the lead then. Without delay, he followed her. He looked around behind them as they went, making sure they were not being followed, or that they weren't leaving any trails behind them, mainly drops of blood, which he tried not to think too much on, at least for the moment. On they went on, silently as possible, with Lorain carrying Kaili's unconscious form still strapped to her. Fleet could not help but to marvel at the large woman's endurance. He was already beginning to feel tired, as the adrenalin rush began to wear off, but the woman with giant's blood seemed tireless to him. He could not, would not allow himself to succumb to fatigue, or pain, as these were all intimate companions. The climb down went well enough he supposed. He tried to help with Kaili as best he could, not wanting for Lorain to do everything, however, there were somethings that only Lorain could do, and he was best suited to act as look out at several points. They traveled quickly and silently, and then the smell hit him. They rounded a corner, and suddenly they were there! Fleet smiled and pointed. Lorain simply nodded and kept them moving, leading them through a stable area first, and then on to the building proper. 'Coal'! that was the smell he'd recognized from before. Oh! and the stacks of hay looked so inviting! Fleet had to fight the urge to throw himself upon them, not to mention the many memories they would trigger. But by the looks of it, Lorain had a similar thought as they stopped. She gently placed Kaili down.

"Wait here with Kaili. I'm going to check out the building." She whispered. The skinny urchin boy nodded agreeably, and wrinkled his nose when she ruffled his hair. "Guard her well. I'll be right back." He nodded a bit seriously here. "With me life I will." he said, then watched Lorain go. How did she move so silently for her size would always fill him with a sense of amazement. As soon as she had left his sight, Fleet knelt beside Kaili and checked her as well as he could. She looked as if she were asleep, but her color was off. He tried to be brave as he gently stroked her hair, but the tears would soon come of their own will, betraying his resolve.

It wasn't long before Lorain was back, and it was good that she had whispered his name as she came, for he had not heard her. Before turning, he wiped his face with the sleeve of his newly acquired tunic. The fact that it didn't stink like his old one almost caught him by surprise. "I checked the first floor. It looks safe…" she said as she came close. "Let's get Kaili inside, and then I will check the other floor." Fleet nodded, not saying much, then followed along, worry returning and enveloping him like a shroud, even as he watch Lorain cradle his friend and take her to safety.

"You look tired." Fleet commented to Lorain once she had laid Kaili down. It was the first time he'd actually noticed Lorain show any signs of tiring, and it dawned on him that she was flesh and blood just like him, not a 'creature of myth and legend', but a very brave soul. "I should go see if there's water." he said, suddenly feeling thirsty and guessing that Lorain would be feeling the same, not to mention Kaili. Lorain didn't seem to object, and Fleet came to place that look in her face. She was thinking things through. Well, he would try and make himself useful too. "I'll be real quiet like…."he whispered, "I'll be right back." And with that, he headed off, imitating Lorain's stealthy manner.

The place was bigger in the inside than he'd expected as it looked smaller from the outside, at least from the glance he had. Either way, he focused on finding a kitchen or a storage area where perhaps he could find jugs of water. After a few moments, he did find several jugs, but they were sealed and too heavy to move by himself. His hand immediately went for the dirk strapped to his side, but first he'd need a smaller receptacle. He recalled seeing a vase during his quick search of the area, and he used this to transport the water, after finally managing to open the jug. Careful not to spill any on they way back and leave tracks, he managed the task successfully.
    He'd returned just in time to coincide with Lorain's own search and return.

"Upstairs was clear." she declared with apparent satisfaction.

"Got some water…" he grinned back, showing her the filled vase.

Lorain moved towards Kaili and carefully picked her up. "I'm gonna set her up in one of the bed rooms upstairs. At least make her comfortable for now, while we figure out what to do next."

Fleet didn't mention it then, but there was something in Lorain's eyes, something he could not read. He couldn't explain it, but it worried him a little. Had she been injured somehow and he had not noticed? Silently he regarded her as Kaili was moved to the upper room, but besides signs of exhaustion, nothing else seemed amiss with the large woman, at least not outwardly.

Fleet followed and searched the room, while Lorain took care of Kaili, more to keep himself busy than anything else, as he tried not to make himself sick with worry. The distraction was quite short lived. He finally gathered the courage to come over and look at his injured friend once again. How he wished she would wake up again. That's when he remembered the water he'd brought with him. Fleet reached for the vase he'd placed on a table.

"Here, have sum. I think we all be needin' sum."

He searched Lorain's expression, his big blue eyes like lamps, but there was little he could glean now. Lorain's expression remained neutral and unreadable. Perhaps that in itself meant something. He wanted to ask if Kaili was going to be alright, but bit his lower lip instead. This was no time to be naive. He silently watched as Lorain covered the injured woman, then found herself a chair to collapse in. She now looked as tired as he felt. There was no mistaking the fact that they could all use some rest. At least they were safe…for the moment. Fleet didn't leave Kaili's side however, and when they had both sipped some water, he tried to give her some, but wasn't very good at it. He stopped himself, not wanting to spill the precious liquid, especially since they only had a limited supply.

"I'm….I'm sorry…I'm sorry…" he said to the unconscious Kaili. He kept whispering this to her, new tears flowing. It could not be helped. He buried his face on her bosom and cried himself to sleep.

Tag:Ktala,spycoder9

Jedi_padawan_leigh likes this.
  5. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Lorain Ashkey, Blacksmith Shop - The Deserts of Mirwyth
    Near Aqarda, Abandoned Town, Desert Coast - Nearing nightfall

"You look tired."

Lorain looked up at Fleet's comment, as she offered him a tired smile. They had found a place to hide for now, so Lorain could afford to let herself relax. Her body suddenly felt drained of all the energy she had earlier. She simply nodded, and watched Fleet as he walked off, to go and find some water. She offered him a slight grin, when he added he would be quiet, and crouching down as she had done earlier, went off to find water. By the time she had cleared upstairs, he had returned, grinning with water. Lorain nodded to Fleet, grateful. The boy was very resourceful.

Fleet was quiet, when they moved upstairs, and when Lorain placed Kaili on the bed. Lorain tried to make the woman as comfortable as she could. Soon she would need to change the bandage again. But right know, she knew how important it was for Fleet to be near Kaili. She almost didnt hear him, when Fleet spoke once more.

"Here, have sum. I think we all be needin' sum."

Lorain sat down in a chair next to the bed with a deep sigh, as she reached up to take the water that Fleet offered her." Thank ye." she stated softly. His large blue eyes looked at her, as if trying to find something, unsure and looking for reassurance that right now Lorain could not give the boy. She did her best to keep her look as neutral as possible. She could not offer him the words he so desperately wanted to hear right now. Lorain felt how warm Kaili's body had been next to hers. Had seen the sweat. She looked away, and took a few deep sips of the water. It was cool and refreshing, and right now, tasted wonderful. She handed the vase back to Fleet, so that he could drink as well. She made sure he took a few sips of water as well.

She then sat back, and watched as Fleet tried to give Kaili some water as well. She moved at first to help him, but then stopped. She could give the woman water later. Right now, this was something Fleet had to do. Something he NEEDED to do. Lorain swallowed hard. If things did not improve, then Fleet was going to have to face, what Lorain had faced herself, not but a few days ago. The scene was heart wrenching, and far too close to the raw emotions that Lorain still felt herself. When it became evident that Fleet was not going to leave Kaili's side, Lorain backed away, to give him access to his friend. He was whispering something to her, and it broke Lorain's heart to hear his words. Fleet then began to cry, as only a young child can cry. Lorain quickly turned away, and moved to busy herself, and to give them some privacy. But as Fleets words were softer now, and Lorain was saw a fresh stream of droplets run down his face. Fleet then buried his face on his companion's chest, and cried.

Lorain left the room. She was not needed there now. She quietly moved downstairs, and made sure the locks were on the doors, and that all the shutters were indeed closed. She gathered a few coals, so that she could make a tiny fire without any smoke, and she found a latern, to take upstairs so that they would have light. Only when Fleet's breathing had calmed, and she no longer heard his tears, did she trust herself to turn come back into the room, and look at the pair. Fleet had fallen asleep, his face still on top of Kaili's body. She looked at the pair, as she put the latern down. She softly crept up, checking Kaili.She then draped a cover over Fleet, and after a long moment of watching the pair rest, she turned and quietly left the room.

Lorain moved down the hall, to the top of the stairs, and slid down to sit on the top step. She then closed her eyes, her body shivered as she shook, holding back her own cascading emotions. Her entire world had just come crashing down around her. Within a few days, she had seen her father murdered, been captured by slavers on a pirate ship, swam in the ocean, found a dying woman and lost boy she knew nothing about, and now it seemed that they would be most likely be killed for, if the knight spoke the truth, aiding a would-be assassin! And most likely be also blamed for the death of a Knight as well. And she still had a message to deliver! She had gone from victim to murder in less than a day. Lorain felt her throat tighten. She truly wished she could do as Fleet had just done. To sob and cry, and to be granted some form of release. To morn the loss of her father and the injustice. But it was not sadness she felt right now. It was anger. White hot blazing anger. Her fists balled up tightly at her side, while she willed herself not to make a sound.

How dare they!

She wanted to make the slavers and pirates pay for killing her father. She wanted to make them pay for the slaughter of innocents in the town. And the knights of this so called king, who sold HIS OWN PEOPLE into slavery. People who had done NOTHING to him. Animals! And if what they had done to Kaili was there form of 'justice', then she would have no part of it. They would most likely kill her, IF she was lucky. But Fleet - for him, it would be worse. She doubted that Fleet knew anything of what it was she supposedly did. She had most likley found the boy, just as Lorain had found them. But none of that mattered now.

Lorain grabbed her head. What was she going to do? She could not leave. Not yet. Not with Kaili so injured. Fleet would never leave the woman. And Lorain would not leave Fleet. They needed supplies if they were going to cross the desert.
    And money. And animals. Crossing the desert without any of those things, was death. She had grown up in the desert, her father teaching her its rules and laws well. Hopefully, Fleet might know more of the area. Maybe even the ways to Fair Groves. Her knowledge was limited to the paths her and her father took, to barter for supplies and equipement for their wares. Hopefully, they could find protection there. And revenge.

No, maybe not revenge. Justice. For Da. Lorain sighed deeply, as she stared off into the darkness. How many days had it been? She could not tell when she had been on the ship. Did her mother and brother know? Did strangers have to tell them that father would never be walking though the doors again? And that her only daughter had been taken by pirates? She could not imagine her mothers reaction. She just hoped her little brother would be strong for her. Lorain could feel her own tears threating to flow from her eyes, and she pushed them back. 'No. No. No! Not now.' She coudlnt afford to let herself slip now. She had to stay strong. She looked back, towards the room that Lorain and Fleet lay sleeping. She had others depending on her now. Her brother would have to look to taking care of their mother for now. Dad had taught him well.

Lorain now had Fleet. And the knowledge that now certain knights would be trying to most likely kill them now. And she could not allow that. Maybe Kaili could shed some light on things, if she regained consciousness. But for now, Lorain could only keep watch, and hope that for the night, things would stay quiet, but be prepare to either run or fight. Something else nagged at her. Why were those knights there at the beach? Were they looking for more pirates? Why? They had already emptied the town. Were they waiting for others? That would be bad. If there were other Knights coming, she hoped they would think that they had simply ran out of town, and kept going, trying to flee. If they were waiting for a ship, then they would leave soon.

"Please. Let them leave soon." Lorain whispered softly. The Gods had been merciful to them once. Maybe they enjoyed a good joke. If they didnt leave, then at least, let them miss where they were hiding for now. Also Lorain wanted to do was to get Fleet out safely, and a chance for justice. Anything after that ...

Well, she would see.

Lorain looked at the knife that Fleet had found for her. Later, she would have to search for more suitable weapons. Something she could really do some damage with.

Tag: greyjedi125, spycoder9

6. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Abott Tuckman
    Isles, Breezecroft
    Docks, Sunset

Catching an edging glance of the board before she disappeared again left Tuckman a little tuckered out, blowing a simple raspery where her dress had disappeared he continued on his way to the boat. Oye! If ever there was a ship worthy of such an explanation it was this ebony beauty that bountifully rested within it's rightful place upon the dock. Once more Oye!

He had half expected a near wreck from the steel even after the scabbord returned to him. Instead he was going to be proving himself with this?!? He just might have to rethink the food poisoning as a gift for the steel that he had begun planning on the wearying journey over here. Then of course the knife and hand pulling his weary body into an alley made him pause in his generosity thinkings. Whoever put an alley by the docks was daft, that was all he had to say, that and he hoped the city planner was one that had met an untimely end or his name wasn't Tuckmanitoff! Alright so it wasn't exactly, so sue him. . .not stab him!

"Oh I believe you, the king didn't look that able last I saw him. But his scabbor. . .uh. . .his aid said I would proving my offer with a ship so named, I came to see what and who he had me working with. If your going to kill me though, just don't bloody the curls!" he muttered as he rolled his eyes this way and that to see nothing but alley-way sides. Needless to say if he died he was going to find that city planner in the afterlife and kill him! How that would exactly work he wasn't sure, but he would!

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    OOC: This is the first part of a combined post with spycoder (he was also kind enough to recommend the song choice for this post ;)):

IC: The Queen
    Dining Hall, The Capital

As the sun grew farther from the horizon, it's beautiful blood red beams leaving strands across the evening sky, the knights completed their practice. The evening meal held in their personal dining hall was almost commonplace, a time for the family to be united, even if it was short.

Princess Maela Reynard, dragging the solemn knight behind her, pranced down the castle halls with an almost childlike smile on her face. She held her mother's almost unearthly beauty, but she hadn't seemed to have learned the horrors of the world as of yet. Following close behind her was Matheus, with his charming princely looks. He was his grandfather's grandson in the truest sense. He contained that worldly nativity of his sister's, but that further forged his kindness and hope. Perhaps this war had curbed his dreams, though. What with the fact that Safia Rolmar was no longer his to claim as wife, and his love for her had been genuine and true.

They entered the archaic dining hall, with its ancient, polished beauty and pillars that supported a domed roof. The fading sunlight could be seen above, reflecting across the room. At nighttime, the beauty of the night stars was irreplaceable. For many a years House Reynard had hosted feasts to dignitaries beneath the sky.

The wide dining table was already laid out with plates and utensils, but inky those of the finest caliber. Queen Emilia had her seat to the right of her King husband. The children were seated farther down, and Seymour was already placed beside her. Several of the royal guard were also allowed to feast with the family, especially Ser Kadrick Brance, Captain of the Royal Family Guard. Also, a few of the visiting houses had been allowed at the dinner, but only those of relation to House Reynard. Such as Lord Damin and Lady Hymna Tornwood, the husband being a second cousin to the King. Maela took her seat adjacent from her mother across the table, giving her a pleasant smile as she did so. Matheus sat beside his sister, curtsying at all their guests. He shared a knowing look with his brother, and then noticed his mother's face. Her eyes told it all.

"What a beautiful place, my Queen." Lady Hymna noted as she let her tiny eyes scurry over every nook and cranny. She had inherited all of the features of her mother, apparent in her slightly appalling face. "The sun's light reflecting. . .what a great many evenings you must spend in here."

The unnerving wait for the food and the King had to be filled with some small talk.

The Queen came to the conclusion that she had been meant to suffer. These formal dinners were comparable to torture and doubly so this time around, considering the burden that had just been dropped on her shoulders. They were sitting around like gluttons while House Kildare and House Rolmar formed a pact - a pact that should have been sealed with the marriage of her son!

Inclining her head, Emilia allowed her gaze to follow the length of the table until it rested on Matheus. Her son was sitting there, proud, handsome and seemingly oblivious to the traitorous acts of their neighbors. It then hit her like a punch to the gut - did he even know?

She shook her head and lowered her gaze. She would allow him solace for now. Now was not the time or place to bring up such things and she was thankful for the distraction as Lady Hymna began to speak.

Adopting a fake smile, the Queen acknowledged the compliment with a small nod. "Why, thank you," she offered solemnly. "It can be quite quaint. Unfortunately, with the state of affairs, this is the only time we can fully enjoy it. We don't gather here much anymore..."

The lady nodded her head as the doors were opened at the end of the room.

King Fenton Reynard, dressed finely in tight garb that bore House Reynard's colors, strode into the room. He made no attempt to notice the two visitors. He brushed past his wife before seating himself at the end of the table. Never once did he smile. Only a cold, almost brutal wrinkle on his brow gave away his emotions.

"It's nice to see you-"

"I'm sure it is." Fenton snapped, brutally cutting off Lady Hymna. Her mouth was still open as he spoke, and she looked down at her plate embarrassed. Her husband patted her hand once, but didn't dare shoot the King a dirty look. "Now where is this food that was to be so pleasantly prepared for us on such a short notice?" Fenton snapped, wiping a bit of sweat from his brow. The wide doors opened once more, and the plate bearers entered with the steaming plates of delicious treats. Roasted hog, along with a fox's leg. Fruits of many different colors, bright and exotic, entered in sparkling silver bowls. An appeasing sight to most of the anyone.

"Father," Matheus broached a subject as he took a slice of the ham for his own plate, "Perhaps you'd like to tell of us of the latest war happenings?"

Fenton raised his eyes from his plate, meeting his son's eyes. "Why yes, I'd be happy to inform all of you, in case you weren't already aware, that Lord Desmond Rolmar has already betrothed his daughter to the desert fox Ser Lawrence Kildare." Fenton stabbed into his ham with his knife, emphasizing how angry he was at it all.

Matheus didn't do anything. He simply stopped chewing, stopped picking out foods. Stopped everything. Then he raised his eyes to meet his mother's, sitting adjacent from him. "I had known. . .I'd knew for a while that we were no longer betrothed, but. . .already betrothed again?" He had enough reserve to restrain any anger or sadness he felt. "When are they. . ."

"To marry? Why. . ." The King chewed his ham, pondering how many days."Two weeks? At the latest, two weeks, but perhaps sooner. A definite date hasn't reached us yet. I meant to tell you sooner, but there was never a good time, my son."

Matheus rose from his seat. "I'm. . .famished. Please let me be excused." And before his father could reply, he fled the room.

The sight of her son fleeing from the room was the last straw. The Queen no longer cared about proper adequate and the repercussions for ignoring those regulations. She was a mother first and foremost and she would tend to her son. The look that had briefly crossed between the two said it all - he had been unaware and now Emilia was left to pick up the pieces.

Setting her fork down with a metallic "clink", the Queen pushed her plate away and placed her napkin back on the table to indicate that she was finished. "You can excuse me as well," she said sternly. She wasn't asking permission, but rather, making it a statement. There was going to be no argument about this decision. In fact, she made that abundantly clear by shooting a hard glare in the direction of her husband.

Without waiting for a reply, she rose from her chair and hurriedly followed in her son's footsteps. "Matheus," she called softly as she left the chamber. It was time to discuss how to deal with this piece of disturbing news. If Fenton would not deal with it, she would take matters into her own hands.

Stryker01, Trieste and greyjedi125 like this.
  8. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Desert Coast, Mirwyth,
    Abandoned Smithy

Slowly and lazily, he opened his blue eyes, and frowned a little. Things looked hazy still and he felt a bit disoriented. He became aware that he was on something soft, definitely not what he was used to. Had he been dreaming? It certainly felt like it, but he couldn't quite recall what it was he dreamt about, at least not at that very moment.

Fleet shook his head lightly, willing himself to wake more fully. One quick look and a flood of memories rushed in. He was on top of Kaili, his fried. She had been wounded by evil men, and they were on the run. She looked so peaceful then, too peaceful in fact. Fleet jumped up, suddenly afraid!

"No! Kaili…no!"

They were at a blacksmith's home, and they weren't alone. Fleet looked around the room and saw no one. He was wrong - he was indeed, alone. The chair was empty and only the canister of water remained. His imagination got the best of him as a sense of dread nearly tore through him. He was unable to cry out her name for a moment, as his mind played tricks on him. She wouldn't do that to them, she just wouldn't...would she?

Fleet was up on his feet and dashed for the door, trying to work his vocal chords to scream out her name. How could she leave him alone!!

"LORA…."

He hadn't seen her, and he plain crashed into her and bounced off of her. Fleet suddenly found himself in mid air, arms flailing again. Lorain was directly below him. The stairs were descending and there was nothing but space ahead of him. He had only a split second to act.

With desperate speed, Fleet shot out his arm and grabbed for the retreating railing. Lady Fortune must have smiled at him just then, for he caught it and twisted in mid-air, his lax body obeying without resistance. There was a thudding slam as his body swung down and hit the stairs, raising dust on impact. He'd landed on the stairs, thankfully. For a moment all was still as Fleet did not move, could not move. He needed to let the pain make its way through him. He didn't look up, or cry out. The pain he felt was nothing compared to the shame he felt at doubting her, even for a brief second. Had she not proven herself ten times over?

With sudden movements, Fleet got up and rushed the big woman. He hugged her tight and did not say a word. He forced himself not to cry, for he was relieved beyond reckoning that she was still here. He needed to be brave, to absorb her strength, even if just a little.

Fleet finally released the large woman and moved back half a space.

"Lorain…." he said, looking into her eyes, his expression shifting. He was trying to scold her, but was too glad to see her and his fear was finally slipping away.

"Yu can'nat leave me 'lone like that again'…." He smiled, and his eyes watered, but he fought them back. He brought his left sleeve to wipe his face, then blew his nose on it. So much for a clean tunic.

Blowing out a long sigh of relief, he finally let go entirely and sat himself sideways on the step below Lorain. He looked past the large woman and into the room behind them before speaking.

"I…I think I had a dream 'bout Kaili."

The young urchin boy stared at Lorain as he paused, still trying to sort things out in his head.

Tag:Ktala

9. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Near Aqarda, Abandoned Town, Desert Coast - Nearing nightfall

Lorain sat at the top of the stairs for what felt like an both an eternity, and for only a few moments. Her body was so tired, she simply allowed herself to slump against the wall, as she stared out into the darkness. At least here, now it was simple once more. Quiet. She had turned the lantern off, to save the oil. She didnt need it sitting on the steps. And with Fleet finally catching some sleep she might be able to check in on Kaili and see if her bandages...

"LORA…!" came an anguished cry from behind her, causing her to suddenly bolt upright, even as she heard the sound of fast moving feet. She turned, her thoughts suddenly jumping to her worst fears. Had Kaili died while alone with Fleet?! Had they been found?! She had started to rise, when Fleet, not seeing her in the darkness plowed directly into her. Lorain grabbed for the railing, doing her best to steady herself, even as Fleet sailed around her. 'NO!' Her thoughts raced through her mind. She did not want Fleet to be injured. Even as her mind and body sought to lean forward, and try to grab him, Lorain saw his arm shoot out, and grab for the railing.. and he made it. But then her relief fled when she heard the horrible sound his body hitting with a hard thudding slam as his body swung down with his momentum from his running, and he hit the stairs, hard enough to actually raise dust up from the steps. What worried Lorain the most, was that he didnt seem to move. Now she was truly afraid. "Fleet?" she called out softly, as she leaned forward, hoping that the boy had not injured himself badly, or perhaps even knocked himself out. Lorain did not think she could take it. Kaili was bad enough. But without Fleet to keep her spirits up, she didnt know what she would do. If anything happened to him, she ... she didnt want to think about it. As she leaned forward to check on him, he suddenly got up, in a rush of movements, as if suddenly possessed, jumped up and embraced her in a tight hug, nearly knocked them over once more. Lorain, shocked at the sudden turn of events, simply held him tightly in return, not trusting her voice as she hugged him back with a ferocity she had only felt with her younger brother. Fleet reminded her very much of him, so she allowed him to gather himself, as her own relief flooded through her. In such a little time, she had grown quite attached to the brave Fleet. He had gone though quite a bit, in such a short period of time. And no telling what had happened during the action that got Kaili injured. So she simply held on to Fleet, until she felt him release her. Then then stepped back a few tiny steps.

"Lorain…." he said, looking into her eyes through his tuff of hair, his expression shifting. She didnt answer, she simply nodded. "Yu can'nat leave me 'lone like that again'…." He smiled, and his eyes watered, and again, like her brother when he was little, he cleaned his face with his sleeve. Blowing out a long stream of air, he sat down down on the step below where she sat. Lorain nodded, looking serious. "Aye. I'm sorry Fleet. I.. I just figured you might want some time with Kaili." she whispered softly to him. Lorain noticed him looking back down the hallway where he had come from.

"I…I think I had a dream 'bout Kaili." Fleet stated, looking up at her.

Lorain nodded, resisting the urge to tousle his hair. She should have realized that he might wake up, afraid to think he was alone. But she didnt want to crowd him either. She gave him a tired smile, as she reached over, lighting the lantern once more, giving them a tiny bit of light. "I understand. After all, she's probably been watching over ya for awhile." Lorain told Fleet, her face becoming serious. "Ya must really care for 'er. I can tell you tried to take good care of her. Im surprised you lasted this long, with those knights out there." She told him. She then gave him a slight smile. She then looked seriously over at Fleet. "You know. We will have to be careful now. We dare not move right now. We need to have Kaili rest, and heal some. And we both need some rest as well." Lorain thought for a moment, and continued. "Fleet, I needs to tell ya what happened to me. And then you tell me about you and Kaili. Because now they are looking for all of us. And with a dead Knight, they are not likely to simply forget us. You know we are innocent. But that wont mater to them. So if we dont want to end up dead, we needs ta play it smart."

Lorain gave him a nod, and then slowly stood up, offering her hand to Fleet. "Com'on... need to check on Kaili's bandages." She picked up the lantern, and led him back into the office. She set the lantern down on the table, so she could use the light to tend to the woman. She looked around, and grabbed an extra sheet, She took showed Fleet how to tear the sheet into strips, and then she moved to use the water Fleet had brought up. As she worked, she spoke to Fleet once more.

"I need to tell ya some things. And after that, ya tell me what ya wants to do." Lorain told him. With another large sigh, she started her tale. "I came from the port City of Caraba, Fleet. North of this place. I was with my Da, there to buy special metals. He's a blacksmith." she told him, while she carefully removed the older bandages, looking to check on Kaili's wounds. The fact the woman still had a fever was not lost on her. Perhaps with a bit of rest, it would go down now. Lorain continued to speak to Fleet as he tore up strips of cloth.

"The city was attacked by slavers and pirates. They killed the women, and tried to snatch up da men to sell. I sounded the alarm for the town guards. But when I got back, I was attacked." Lorain paused, as she blew out a stream of air, before she continued. "They murdered my Da.. and then knocked me out, and took me captive, but not until I took out a fair number of their murdering lot." Lorain stated her teeth ground together slightly. She looked up briefly at Fleet, before she continued on with her task. "When I woke up, days later, I was on their pirate ship. They wanted me to fight for em.. to.. to fight as sport. But one of the men on the ship, freed me...and asked me to send a message back to his family, in Fair Groves, so that they would be rescuing him." Lorain sighed, as she then took a few of the strips from Fleet, and after rinsing her fingers, carefully began to change the bandages once more.

"So I jumped ship, and swam. I swam for what felt like a very long time, until I came to the coast. To where those bloody knights found me." Lorain snorted softly. "The rest ye kinda know. Walked into town, and found it was abandoned..that those bloody knights had sold the people into the same type of slavery they supposed to be protecting folks from!" Lorain nearly snarled, before she calmed herself, reminding herself at the task at hand. She took more bandages. If Kaili didnt stop bleeding soon, she would have to use heat to stop the bleeding, like they did to the horses sometimes, in the blacksmiths shop. She hoped she would not have to do that. She pressed the bandages in a bit tighter. She didnt want to try and stitch. Her Ma used to do that sometimes, when dad hurt himself. Lorain always made faces, when she did. Another long sigh escaped from her lips. "And then I found you guys. But sumfin not's right. No bodies. No animals. Empty. So they be planning sumfin'. Just dont know what." Lorain gave another sigh, and then looked over at Fleet, as she finished with the fresh bandages. She was careful to quickly hide away the old ones, so as not to upset him. She then gently pulled the woman's clothing back up, and covered her once more so that she could rest comfortably. She took a small bit of the water, an drizzled it into the woman's mouth slowly, with her head turned to the side. Kaili would need some fluids, but only a tiny bit. Once she was finished, Lorain set the flask back down, and leaned back in the chair, turning to look over at Fleet.

"So's, now ya know my story, Fleet. How about you be telling me yours, before we decided what we should be doin' next, my young Ser?" she asked him gently.

Tag: greyjedi125, spycoder9

10. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    [​IMG]
    IC: Ser Lawrence Kildare
    The Mountains, Shodaire, the Tower of Stone
    Castle grounds
    12 days before his wedding

Lawrence smiled--slowing down, yes, but he'd paced her horse in the process. In the wild, horses were pack creatures. They naturally ran with each other unless trained otherwise. She hadn't been able to seize the opportunity to make up the distance on him. "Oh, so you want to open this up?" Lawrence called. It was time to finish this race right.

BRANCH!

Lawrence had only a moment to duck underneath the branch hanging over his course, readily apparent to anyone keeping their eyes forward and focused on they were going, but he'd been distracted by Safia. It had been a close shave. Getting one's head lopped off wouldn't make for a very good wedding. Lawrence gave his head a single shake to work off the sudden shock.

Now they were into the final stretch. He could see their goal, the west gate ahead now. The path looked clear. Now was when it was time to open it up. He dug his heels into the horse's sides with just enough kick to get his mount back into its stride. Lawrence no longer felt the cold that such a short time ago had bit his face so harshly. The chill no longer stung his nostrils and his throat. He had lost himself in the race, this race against the woman he was to marry. A woman who was proving to be as high-spirited as the horse she rode. He was going to have to take her out for rides more often once they returned to the Desert. After all, snow and sand were not so distant and if horse racing got the blood pumping...well...that wasn't a bad thing in a marriage...

Tag: JediMasterAnne

11. JediMasterAnne

JediMasterAnne Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    IC: Safia Rolmar
    The Mountains of Mirwyth
    Shodaire, the Tower of Stone
    Grounds—12 days before her wedding

Safia flinched when she saw how very narrowly Ser Lawrence missed beheading by tree branch, but it didn’t seem to faze him too much. Certainly not enough to interfere with his riding—the next moment, he was flying down the path towards the west gate, leaving Safia in the dust.

All right, no more playing around. The princess put her heels to her horse, pushing the mare to top speed. But no matter how hard she rode, the knight held onto his lead. So much for the home field advantage. And the slight head start she had unintentionally given herself hadn’t done her much good, either. Finally, with Ser Lawrence only a few yards away from the gate and no hope of catching up to, let alone passing him, Safia slowed her horse to a walk. “All right, you win,” she conceded. “This time,” she added in jest.

She wasn’t very disappointed—after all, this was more for fun than anything else—but she usually fared better than this in her races against her brothers. She had never beaten Karridan, but she knew how he rode and how he raced, so most times she could draw with him, or if she lost, it was’t by much. Ectarion she could best; he wasn’t as good a rider as she or Karridan—the horses didn’t like him.

Now she’d have to decide which of her books she would be willing to part with. “I will give you your prize by the end of the day,” she promised.

“Where to now?” From here, they could continue their tour of the grounds, or leave through the west gate to explore the woods and the mountainside.

TAG: Trieste

12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Castle grounds

Lawrence had overshot the gate in the rush of the race and when he'd checked his horse to bring it to a slow, he turned it around in a lazy circle to find that Safia had come up to a walk behind him, conceding defeat and confirmed as much once he'd trotted back to the gate. Lawrence brought his steed up next to Safia's so they faced each other, their horses' heads at opposite ends, their breath steaming from their nostrils as they came down from the heat of the race.

"It is a good thing that I didn't win," Lawrence said in response to Safia's promise to deliver his winnings by the end of the day, "I could not possibly have reciprocated. Books were not high on the priority list when packing for this trip. Sad, but true."

"So eager to be off?" the knight teased when Safia asked whither they should go from here, "I'm surprised that you show so little interest in the consolation prize. Well, if that's the case then I suppose we must go..." Lawrence, however, did not move his horse.

13. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    The Mountains of Mirwyth

“I never said there was any rush…” she said, smiling a bit at his tease. The horses needed a moment to cool down after their hard run, and it wasn’t as if there was anywhere they needed to be.

“But no consolation prize was discussed or mentioned,” Safia pointed out. “So I assumed there wasn’t one.”

She and her brothers rarely raced for any sort of stakes anymore, now that they were all grown, but when they had in the past, the prize was never anything of significance, and if you lost, you just lost. They had never had any sort of consolation prize. And with the winnings of this race consisting of a book, she hadn’t expected one here.

But that didn’t mean she wasn’t interested. “What is it?”

14. Stryker01

Stryker01 Jedi Knight

Dec 4, 2012
    Part II

Martyn Forsythe and Callista Halleth
    The Desert of Mirwyth, the Oasis of Dawnsgrace
    Approximately 14 Days Before the Wedding

[​IMG][​IMG]

Callista observed the walls from afar. Large, built over many years by the first Lord Santagar. She remembered learning as a child that on the day the walls had been completed and the first Lord Santagar had taken up residence inside, he was stabbed by his heir. Cursed, the place was, but especially its ruiling House Santagar. Years and years of strife and pain, ending currently now with Mors Santagar, whose wife had died bearing their only child, a damned one. Perhaps she had been rooting for Santagar, as she had met the man once when he visited the Sultan in her teens. Handsome, strong, the very embodiment of a warrior. He had a large laugh, contagious even, but he wasn’t too political. Maybe he had changed overtime, but at the horrific state of the desert, Callista doubted as much.

The gated entrance of the Oasis of Dawnsgrace, Martyn and the others found guards heaped into burning piles. Many of them were robed in the scorpion of House Santagar. Currently, a large brusque man with a bad complexion and a mighty sharp staff was checking people as they passed out of the Oasis. At the top of the large walls, Martyn could make out archers poised and ready. None of them wore matching armor, only bits and pieces here and there.

An army of commoners. It was perhaps even more frightened than that of Lords, for should a battle break out, the commoners would break into chaos.

One man leaving the city, shaved bald and with a red bead on his forehead, was sharply yanked to the side and out of the line. His jewel sparkled under the sunlight as he fell to the ground. Callista could hear his pleading, watched as his brown cloak was yanked from his body. Underneath were the deep yellow robes, those of House Santagar. An advisor, perhaps, who had realized he needed to jump ship. The large man raised his spear and drove it through the bald man’s chest. He jerked once and then fell still.

She didn’t turn away from the sight, even though her churning stomach begged her to. She forced herself to watch as the man’s body was lifted and heaved into one of the burning piles of bodies.

“A slaughter. . .” Ombur Torme hissed, one hand resting on his hidden dagger beneath his breeches. Callista shot him one look, which was returned with one of his own.

Most people were allowed to leave the city, placed onto to caravans. These caravans loaded till almost full and then went off into the desert, most likely delivering them safely from the city. The people inside these caravans were expecting mothers, the elderly, those physically handicapped, or children.

They were currently the only ones entering the magnificent city. No others were behind them or ahead. Martyn took the lead.

“What ye want enterin the city?” The large man grumbled. He held his spear upright, and the blood from the advisor leaked down the sides of it, sliding onto his hands.

“It’s a dangerous place out t’ere,” Martyn started his tale. “Me home was burned down, and me wife killed. Me daughter and ‘er husband fled wit’ me. She’s expecting me grandkid.”

“Dangerous out t’ere?” The guard laughed, and the roars seemed to echo. “Enjoy ye stay ‘ere.” And he moved to allow them passage into the city. As Callista’s horse passed by him, he stroked the outline of her face. The blood on his fingertips left a trail on her cheek. She flinched, trying not to cry out. “Pretty little thing.” He laughed again, and she could see his rotten yellow teeth. Ombur used his horse to push Callista’s along, glaring at the other large man as they passed.

The city was overcrowded, dirty, and loud. People were packed into the street, pushing and shoving to get about. Vendors shouted about selling the last fruits of the harvest, while priests warned of the end of the world, where fire and brimstone would reign down on all of them. The sides of the streets were filled with the remains of food, blood, and feces, along with the occasional rotting body. There seemed to be no control inside the walls. Martyn pushed on atop his horse, making sure Callista and Ombur were close behind him. The smell of rotting. . .everything was prominent. A large dog snapped at a child, while its mother fought over raw meat.

“Oasis of Dawnsgrace?” Martyn commented, steering his horses around people. “More like Prison for the Damned.”

It seemed to be hours spent navigating the paths. Many a time Callista was almost dragged from her horse and thrown into the throngs of people. Ombur had broken several men’s fingers for their attempts, as any “husband” would do for his wife. Once they managed to finally reach the palace walls, which had formerly been a clean sandstone, they now saw dark stains and splotches everywhere. Blood and droppings and. . .too many things to name. They shoved their way through the crowds, and realized this was where the common people guards lost jurisdiction. They hadn’t enough sense to formally storm the palace itself, but they realized that slowly the king and his people would be starved into submission. The gates had been sealed shut, chained and locked. Besides, should anyone happen to open the gates, the crowd of angry people throwing things and simply rumbling about would storm the place in a second.

“What do you plan to do now?” Callista turned to look at him.

“There’s more than one way to enter a palace. Many ways, actually. You just have to be smart about it.” He chuckled then. “One of the advantages of being married to Emilie, besides the wealth and security, was learning of the many. . .entrances to such a castle as this. As much as she hated it, she could not exclude her lord husband from many meetings, if only for the simple courtesies.”

He tipped his hat at Callista as he turned to lead the way.

“I’m afraid, dear daughter, that your breeches might get stained where we’re going.”

Martyn continued to laugh, though it could barely be heard over all the other sounds in the city.

His amusement was only increased by the wrinkling of Callista’s nose.

TAG: myself

15. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Desert Coast, Mirwyth,
    Abandoned Smithy

Fleet had gone back to the room with Lorain, and had succeeded on listening to the large woman while also paying attention to how she bandaged their injured friend, well..at least at first. Lorain's story was so captivating, that he eventually stopped paying attention altogether to the bandaging process and was reminded of it when she handed him a portion of a sheet to rip into strips, as shown. He tried to be more alert after that, but just ended up being as enthralled as before. Her story was both fascinating and horrifying all at once. Her Papa being murdered; This was something that affected her deeply. He could tell by her expression, she was still troubled by this, even as she fought to keep her composure. Fleet wished he could identify with such a specific loss, but he was, after all, an orphan. As for the killings, he was - sad to say, much too acquainted with this. He'd always hated pirates and slavers. Lorain's story simply added more kindling to that fire. What kind of people would put a woman in a fighting pit? Fleet could not begin to imagine, all he knew was that the world was exceedingly cruel, and that brave folk like Lorain were beacons of hope in a land engulfed by darkness.

Fleet did watch carefully as Lorain gave Kaili a drink of water. He payed attention to every detail, so he'd know how to do it on his own later on.

"So's, now ya know my story, Fleet." Lorain said as she leaned back in the chair. "How about you be telling me yours, before we decide what we should be doin' next, my young Ser?"

Fleet gave her a sad smile and and leaned in to give her a quick hug. "…Sorry 'bout yer papa." He said softly, held her gaze, then stepped back and cleared his throat. His right hand came up to his chin and he began to scratch it as he became pensive, his eyes absently scanning the ceiling, his lithe body rocking side to side as he shifted his weight.

"Well…." He began, wrinkling his nose a little. "Me story s'not as fascinaten' as yours, so don' be comparin', 'kay?" He gave a little laugh then went back to thinking. " I wus raised inna orphanage all m'life, so I can't tell you exactly where I'm frum. But it certainly wasn't 'round here." Fleet frowned a bit trying to recall some detail that seemed to escape him at the moment. " Uhm…Anyway, Fuzzy Fredda was one of the matrons at the orphanage and she was nice. She was short and…stout, and had a head full of gray hair out to…" Fleet put his hands out to the sides of his head, just past his shoulders, "…here, like so." His eye twinkled as he recalled the image. "And she had whiskers! I didn't kno she wasn't 'spossed to have 'em, but was told later un'. Oh, and she too had a mole with a long hair on 'er chin!" He exclaimed, a bit animated now and pointing at his chin. He even stroked an imaginary strand. "She was always fussin' after this or that! fuss! fuss! Fuzzy Fredda!" He laughed at his own memory for a moment, before remembering to continue. "Father Tucker, he wus head master, but he wus a mean ole creetch. He'd whip us with a switch 'till we poured blood and sent us ta bed without any supper. He said he wus whippin' the devil out o' us. I don't think Fredda was much fond of him. She said he wus the one with the devil in 'im."

Fleet made a face at some unmentioned memory, which he apparently chose to skip, before continuing anew. "I helped out where I could, mostly with keepin' the few animals from escapin', but also helped with chores. I was supposed ta start trainin' at the wood shop, but the orphanage caught fire. Some of us ran away with a few of the older lads, and set up a camp of survivors in the forest, but bandits came soon after…and it was dark, then…there was fire, and more screamin'…terrible screamin'. So…I ran, and ran until I couldn't run ene mo'. I hid meself for days, not darin' to come 'out, but once I did, I ran some 'mo. I don't remember how I got to toun. I do remember tryin' ta find a safe place t' sleep, but couldn't. So I slept on the market floor."

Fleet was sitting on the floor now, looking down and absently scratching his hands. He softly rocked back and forth. He grew silent for a moment, but managed to continue.

" I dunno how long I wus like that. All I 'member is Kaili, and how she brought me food and water 'til I could move again….She saved me…"

Fleet looked up and regarded Lorain, his eyes misting, but he kept his emotions under control. If he was going to become strong, he needed to start practicing. This was a good time as any.

"She let me stay with her, y'kno…didn't ask me for nuthin'. She said we would move on when I wus feelin' better, and I did. She even brought me a pastry with a fruit topin'…Don't know where she found a highborn treat, but it was really good!" Fleet had obviously enjoyed it, as the memory triggered a momentary smile, but then it faded after he glanced at Kaili, a pang of guilt running through him.

"We took a…what'd she call it? a caravan…from that other toun to get here. I thought nuthin' of it then…but…"

Fleet's eyes opened wide, almost as if he were seeing things with more clarity, perhaps for the first time.

"It sure didn't look it then, but…our leavin' was a bit sudden, almost like…we wus runnin' away…." Fleet's eyes met Lorain's. "…but I might be wrong."

Tag:Ktala

Trieste, Jedi_padawan_leigh and Ktala like this.
  16. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Castle grounds

"Well," Lawrence said, leaning forward on the pommel of his saddle, "I just don't think it would be a good thing for us to start things together on totally unequal terms. In fact, I can think of a much better way to start things."

And in one move, Lawrence leaned across the brief space between their already close horses, put a hand behind her neck, and kissed her.

spycoder9 likes this.
  17. afellowjedi

afellowjedi Jedi Knight

May 22, 2011
    IC: Diana Cupiditas
    12 days before the wedding.
    Delmaristead Harbor

“I assumed things had changed.” Treyvor Dondare turned away from her and she felt her heart beat quicken slightly, there was a touch of hurt in his eye which quickly disappeared as he shouted out, “Kojira! Kenji! Let Raymen take the two of you for drinks!” Treyvor then motioned for another young man “Raymen, take these two to a tavern. They deserve a good drink.” Diana watched as Raymen led the two of men off and down the street, to the local sea port tavern. He then turned back to Diana,

“I agree. Let us take this conversation inside. I need to know more. . .about these kings. I’ve heard rumors, but their few and far between, and it’s hard to determine which are true and which aren’t. I’ll let you take the lead to a place that can house both I and the rest of this crew.” He glanced at the others. “Or some of you may choose to go to the tavern.”

“Yes, well, I just acquired a new residence, it’s a little walk down away but it’s a big enough place for the four of us.” She said glancing at the company. They then left the ship walking back to Diana current housing, it was a quiet walk, tension was between them, Diana was trying desperately to maintain her compositor and resist the urge to slap him or, fates help her, kiss him. To her relief they finally made it back to the house “the rooms are upstairs and there should be some food in the pantry still.” She said to the men, “Treyvor”, she turned to him, “if you will follow me...” She led him upstairs to the master bedroom locking the door behind her and then placing her satchel on the bed, “Please sit” she motion to a small chair in the corner of the room, “Forgive me if I don’t sit” she was already pulling out boxes and placing them on the bed as well to refill her satchel; she didn’t need to but she was too nervous, her hands needed something to do.

“You’ve been gone a while so there is a lot to catch up on. But long story short, there are now four kings; the Lord of the Mountains, the Lord of the Deserts, and the Lord of the Isles have all declared themselves as kings. All of them agree that the false King of Mirwyth and all the islands surrounding it should give up his throne. The king of Mirwyth would rather want to see all the kings and those who help them with their heads on a stick.” She sat down on the bed, her satchel layed filled, she took a breath and continued.

“He knows that combined, we are too strong. All of our armies united against him would prove to be too much for his lords and knight; thus we seek to form alliances through marriage. The Desertmen and the Mountainmen are uniting by marrying King Delmari's niece to a chief knight of the desert. The Queen and Princess of the isles were leaving to attend the wedding, But as they were leaving there was an uprising of loyalists to the tyrant king of Mirwyth, they have now invaded my home as you have seen.” At this she locked eyes with him, “I need to fix this Treyvor, in all reality it shouldn’t be my problem but…I am Lady of the court……and King’s personal assassin, I have to be loyal to him.”

She watched him, not sure how he would take this news, she then looked down, unable to face him “After the desert, after you left me, time moved on, my father died, and I refused to marry,” Because of you she wanted to add, “I lost everything; I could not inherit my father’s lands, so when the King offered me this position I took it I take care of the problems he can’t.”, she stopped, “I’ve died a little more each day, losing myself, I did what I need to survive,” she walked over to the window staring at the sea in the horizon, “I don’t blame you though if you can’t bare to look at me, at what I’ve become. I am not foolish, I know one doesn’t make many friends in my profession and you lose a whole lot more.” She steeled herself. “I tried to stop this uprising before it happened but I was too late and now this problem is too big for me to handle.” she turned to him “Will you still help me?” she was hurting and if he came to even touch her she felt she would shatter. “I need to know Treyvor… why did you leave? And when my father died why did you not come and find me?
    TAG@ Spycoder9

Trieste and greyjedi125 like this.
  18. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    The Mountains of Mirwyth

Safia had forgotten what it was like to be kissed.

She and Matheus had kissed, of course; it was about as intimate as a young, unmarried couple was allowed to get without raising any eyebrows. But her betrothal to the prince now seemed a lifetime ago, and if truth be told, it was actually the farthest thing from her mind at the moment Ser Lawrence’s lips touched hers.

She probably should have taken offense at such presumptuous behavior. What with the fact that they had just met earlier today, it was a considerable breach of protocol for him to kiss her after so short an acquaintance—it would be different if this were their wedding day, but it wasn’t. She should have pulled away, or pushed him back.

But she didn’t. And not only did she let him kiss her, but she even found herself kissing him back, closing her eyes and leaning in towards him.

However, some level of sense did return to her, in the form of a slightly unnerving thought that had nothing to do with the kiss itself, and she finally pulled away from him, just enough to separate her lips from his.

“You shouldn’t do that,” she told him. Somehow, though, the words didn’t come out as stern as she’d intended.

19. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Near Aqarda, Abandoned Town, Rooftops, Desert Coast - Nearing nightfall

Lorain leaned back, relaxing into the seat she was in as she finished telling Fleet a bit of what had happened, and more importantly, what she planned to do next. Lorain smiled when Fleet suddenly leaned in to give her a quick hug, as he added "Sorry 'bout yer papa." She didnt reply, but simply nodded as he stepped back. Watching him scratch his chin, almost made her chuckle. Her father had done the same thing, when thinking on prices and such. It looked funny watching someone with no chin hair duplicate the move.

Then Fleet went on to tell his own story, of how he was brought up as an orphan. But it sounded like for the most part, it had been pretty good, all things considering. His eyes twinkled when he spoke of the older woman, who took care of the children there, and she seemed to have truly cared for them all. Sounded as if it belonged to a church, since he mentioned a 'Father', even if the man didnt sound very nice. Probably one of those, spare the rod, and spoil the child type of men. She had heard that saying enough times, especially when some male did not think she was 'humble' enough towards them. Her father always stood up for her though, so that made it much more easier to bare. While talking about the man, Lorain noticed a look whip across Fleet's face for just a second, and just as quickly, disappear once more. She could guess it was not a pleasant memory. He paused for a moment, before continuing on. He mentioned that he was supposed to start training in a wood shop. That, Lorain knew from some of the other kids was standard practice. Most orphanages raised the kids as best as they could, and then when they grew old enough, they would be sent out to apprentice. That way, they could learn a skill, and also help with paying back the orphanage itself. Considering what could have happened, Fleet made out lucky. With orphanages full, some kids never got into one. She watched him as he talked, his eyes wide, and always paying attention to details. She bet he would have made a very fine woodworker of some type.

Then Fleet mentioned a fire, and how some of them ran off to live in the forest. And then they were attacked by bandits? After some scrawny kids? She wondered if perhaps the King had decided to fill his ranks in other ways, and it was an easy way to get rid of potential problems as well. But to attack an orphanage?? One had to be mad! Listening to Fleet's escape, and to hear his descriptions of the screaming, and his terror of running until he could no longer go on was gut wrenching. And after all of that, after he ran himself to death, and he finally found a town, the people had ignored him, and left him to die on the market floor. He HAD to look a sight! Even worse than when she had first met him. He must have run for miles, seeking shelter. Lorain looked down at Fleet, who was sitting on the floor now, looking down and absently scratching his hands as he gently rocked back and forth. Another long pause, his voice a bit lower as he continued. And then he told her of how Kaili had found him. Weak, unable to either move or talk. And she had brought him food and water, and then stayed with him until he could move. Lorain's eyes drifted over to look at the woman in the bed once more. This woman. This supposed attempted assassin. She stopped, when no one else had, and took both time and money to look over what most likely looked like a dying boy. It was easy nowadays, to do so. With the Kings threatening a war, and now what looked like attacks on various towns, people were afraid. They were simply trying to stay alive. And sometimes, showing mercy, could mean yer death. It was easy to ignore it all, and keep your head down, and pretend you didnt see it. And Fleet could have died, if it was not for Kaili. Could she have had another motive? To maybe use Fleet as a scapegoat? Maybe. But Lorain didnt think so. The reaction Kaili gave, when she saw the knight when Lorain had found them, didnt strike her as a reaction an assassin would have either. She watched over Fleet, protected him, and gave him food and drink. She spent time with him, days even, while waiting for him to get well enough to travel once more. That didnt sound like the woman the Knights were trying to portray. Lorain was deep in thought, when she noticed that Fleet had grown quiet again. She looked down, and noticed the he was watching her silently, but he spotted that he was working hard to keep from crying. It took all she had, to keep from just scooping him up and giving him a huge hug. She just gave him a soft smile.

"She let me stay with her, y'kno…didn't ask me for nuthin'. She said we would move on when I wus feelin' better, and I did. She even brought me a pastry with a fruit topin'…Don't know where she found a highborn treat, but it was really good!" Fleet gave a quick smile, which quickly faded when he looked over at Kaili, another sad look. "We took a…what'd she call it? a caravan…from that other toun to get here. I thought nuthin' of it then…but…" Fleet's eyes went wide for a moment. "It sure didn't look it then, but…our leavin' was a bit sudden, almost like…we wus runnin' away…." Fleet's eyes met Lorain's. "…but I might be wrong."

Lorain nodded slowly, and then gently reached down, and touched Fleet's shoulder, speaking softly, but clearly. "Sounds like ya friend Kaili, was a real lifesaver, then. She found ya, when ye needed help, and stayed by ya she did." Lorain gave a deep sigh. "Be thankful for that. Even if she did or didnt do anything else, she thought enough about ya, that SHE stayed. She could 'ave thrown some coin at someone to take care of ya, and kept going on her way. But she seen somethin in ya, Fleet. Something special. Remember that." Lorain gave Fleet another sad smile. "We aint got the entire bit of what be going on. But something IS going on." Lorain leaned back and stretched.

"So for now. We be sitting back, and resting. Just like ya needed to rest, in order to be getting better, so does Kaili. if I keeps bouncing her round, she likely get more hurt. Your job will be to give her water every so often. She's got a fever, an we needs to let her rest." Lorain nodded her head slowly. And we gonna be needing supplies, no mater WHAT direction be head off in. Ya came here with a caravan. We will need stuff. And a pack animal, if the gods be willin!" Lorain stretched again, her eyes closed for a moment. She then sat up, opening her eyes once more.

"I think I saw a grove on the other side, just right outta town. If dem trees have fruits on em, that will help." Lorain smiled. "I'll go check it out, soon as it is totally dark." Lorain chuckled softly. "I dont know about you, young Ser, but Im so hungry, if I dont get something soon, they will hear my stomach loud enough." She grinned. She then looked over at the container Fleet had gotten water in earlier. "We gonna need more water as well. Can ya get that for me?" she asked him. "I'll be look out for ya. Then I can get a quick rest, while we wait for night to fall." Lorain nodded her head. "We best gets a much rest as we can, cause when the sun comes up, we need to be good and hidden. If them Kngights still be here, we wants to make sure we in a place they wont be easily finding. Lotta blacksmiths keep a hole in the ground. We needs to search for one to hide in." Lorain told Fleet. Lorain leaned back in the chair once more, closing her eyes for a moment. Lor, she was tired, but she still had some things to do. And she wasnt kidding about food. Just a little rest. Once Fleet started moving, she would follow him.

TAG: greyjedi125, spycoder9

20. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Lord Fredrik Tarvick
    Snowy Ford

Upon the slate were inscribed details of all that the visitors had seen at Harrowmont, and of the Capitalmen there. Presented so casually and without ceremony, it almost seemed like the imaginations of a child, scrawled upon slate with soldiers tallied up like ragdolls and stick men, detached from blood and flesh.

"You have not only my gratitude," said Fredrik, "but the gratitude of all those under my charge and within my domain. You may have averted a tragedy worse than that which befell Harrowmont."

He gestured first to his bastard son Rowan.

"Ride to the neighbouring Houses at once. Begin with House Cyrell. We shall meet these murderers before they can advance their butchery..."

His mind conjured up an image of a place where the trees stood ivory-white, and the leaves were forever stained scarlet.

"We will meet them beneath the Bloodsoaked Wood. We shall halt them there. Ride now, Rowan."

And once again he turned to his guests.

"I will be holding an immediate war council to prepare for the coming battle. You have earned your place at our table while we discuss strategy, should you wish to join us. Otherwise, as our honoured guests, you may take immediate advantage of whatever nourishment we can offer you, and you will be provided with bedchambers also."

TAG: @Rilwen_Shadowflame , spycoder9

21. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    IC:Fleet
    19 Days before the wedding, Desert Coast
    Mirwyth, Abandoned Smithy

As an urchin boy, Fleet may not have had any formal education, but he knew how to do a few things well. He'd learned early on that 'listening', 'observing' and 'understanding' were also keys to survival. So Fleet listened carefully to Lorain as she delineated their current plan of action.

"So for now, we be sitting back and resting. Just like ya needed to rest in order to get better, so does Kaili." The boy nodded in agreement as he Lorain went on. "If I keep bouncing her round, she likely get more hurt. Your job will be to give her water every so often. She's got a fever, an we needs to let her rest." Lorain nodded her head slowly and Fleet offered a quick nod. He continued to listen to hat she said next and tried to think as she spoke. He hadn't seen or heard any pack animals since their escape from the Inn, and there sure weren't any needing shoes downstairs. Still, perhaps he could sneak around and take a quick look. But Lorain was right, if they were going to make it anywhere, they would need some sort of supplies.

The mention of fruits and talk of eating made him aware that the was hungry and his stomach made a gurgling sound just then. Fleet's eyes went wide in sudden surprise, and he put a hand to his stomach and smiled sheepishly. He was used to going hungry, but the noises his stomach made were still embarrassing. So he did his best not to thick about food. He could understand that Lorain was hungry too, and almost volunteered to go with her and do some fruit gathering, but that meant Kaili would be left alone. That thought kept him from voicing that notion.

"Sounds like ya friend Kaili was a real life saver…" Fleet almost stiffened at Lorain's touch, but relaxed. Her presence and voice were soothing, they filled him with a sense of security, bolstered his confidence and even granted him a measure of courage. He hooded without saying a word, and tried not to think of the worst. Kaili was lying so still, she looked so pale as the fever worked her over. She needed to get better, she had to. He would stay here and help her, just as she had helped him. He would return the favor, If it was the last thing he did. But thank the gods, he wouldn't need to do it alone.

"Even if she did or didn't do anything else, she thought enough about ya, that she stayed. She could 'ave thrown some coin at someone to take care of ya, and kept going on her way. But she seen somethin in ya, Fleet. Something special. Remember that."

Fleet's eyes narrowed for just a moment. Kaili put herself in danger to protect him. He recalled when he woke up, she was already wounded. She must have fought some of the evil men instead of running off to save herself. He needed to protect her now. He needed to be strong for Kaili, for Lorain and for himself. When the bandits came and attacked the orphan camp in the forest, his instincts screamed at him, telling him to run for it. But not now. This was different, much different. Somehow, someday, he had to make them pay.

Fleet's stern gaze was softened by Lorain's compassionate look and he unclenched his fist, which he hadn't realized he'd formed. His thoughts, his emotions knew a solace once again.

"We gonna need more water as well.Can ya get that for me?" He heard Lorain ask of him.

"Aye! sur' can!" he said, happy to be able to do something to help besides worrying and sulking…or worse, waiting for his friend to die. Without wasting another moment, Fleet took the canister and went off to re-fill it with water. He also took a few moments to quickly look for a few pieces of bread. He found two hand sized cakes. He couldn't help but to bite into one of them. As expected, they weren't fresh, but he was used to that. At least it didn't kill you. Within moment, he was back, happy that he hadn't spilled any water, even as he placed the canister down on a table and handed a cake to Lorain. He munched his happily, oblivious to the crumbs on his mouth and tunic. He suddenly realized he was more tired than he imagined, but he shook his head fighting it off.

"We can search 'round after yu take a bit of rest, Lore." Fleet stops eating and smiles."Ey, Lore…I likes the sound of it. Mind if I call yu that? He asked with a grin, then eagerly finished his small cake.

"Take a rest n' I'll be on first watch. Jus' like the city guard!" Fleet made a serious face, then brandished his dirk and swished it around a little, before placing it back at his side. He gave Lorain a sheepish grin. "We can go 'bout looking for stuff when it gets dark."

Fleet yawned, despite himself. He walked over to Kaili then.

He sat next to her and smiled, then absently stroked her hair.

"We'll get yu somewhere safe, Kaili. I promise yu."

The urchin boy blinked slowly and fought off another yawn as he looked at Kaili's sleeping form. He had hope they would escape this town and its evil denizens. Lorain had a good plan and he could help. They would be fine. He smiled as his eyes lids came down half way, then laid his head on her chest. Just for a little bit.

Tag: Ktala,spycoder9

22. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    IC: Ser Andras Maegorion, Keine Stone

The knight and his squire exchanged a long look. At last, Ser Andras made a few gestures, and Keine turned back toward Lord Tarvick. "We'll attend, my lord. Though those as we brought with us, they're more tired, I think."

Ser Andras and his squire had grown accustomed to long journeys, in a way the other two had not. Rosa, especially, was likely feeling exhausted by now, and her contributions to a war council would have been negligible in any case.

TAG: Winged_Jedi, spycoder9

23. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    19 Days Before the Wedding
    Desert Coast, Mirwyth
    Abandoned Smithy, Night

They were awoken by soft moaning that was steadily growing in volume.

“Stop. . .please, please. . .stop!” Kaili was shaking in her bed, her head moving back and forth. When Fleet first opened his eyes, he would notice how dark everything seemed.

“Don’t touch him. . .please. . .my baby, please, please don’t touch my baby. . .” Tears were streaming down her face. “PLEASE!” She flung her arm out and grabbed Fleet’s. “It’ll be ok. . .don’t cry Jekob. . .please don’t. . .” Then she took her hand off of him and she saw Lorain.

She screamed one more shriek and collapsed back into her sleep. Her voice sounded mugged and drowsy, almost as if she was in water.

Lorain would also notice that the sun had well set, and darkness had came upon the tiny town. A single howl rang out in the night.

That of a fox.

TAG: Ktala, greyjedi125

24. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Near Aqarda, Abandoned Town, Rooftops, Desert Coast - Nearing nightfall

So far, Fleet seemed to be okay with the plan she was telling him. And he seemed to understand the reasons as well. Lorain found it easy to talk to Fleet, but then again, both of them had been through much within the past day or so. So simply sitting still, and talking quietly was a bit of rest they both sorely needed.

But Lorain coudlnt suppress a grin, which she mentioned supplies, and Fleets stomach growled as if in agreement. Especially, when Fleet's eyes went wide in sudden surprise, and he put a hand to his stomach and smiled sheepishly. She simply grinned and nodded in agreement. Boys were ALWAYS hungry. She never knew a boy that wasnt. Her younger brother was an eating machine.. Lorain looked away, giving a small, sad smile at the thought. It was hard not to think of her family. This was slowing her down. She looked back, over at Fleet. But she was not going to simply abandon him. She would simply have to adapt, and hope that her own family would be fine. If this war broke out, at least they were in the safest of places, far away from this crazy King... Lorain quickly put her thoughts back on the subject at hand.

When Lorain talked to Fleet about Kaili, she noticed how Fleet's body tensed, and his hands clinched tightly. There must have really been something going on there, for that reaction. She tried to bolster Fleet, to let him know that Kaili must have cared for him. Fleet's eyes narrowed for just a moment, as some memory filed through his mind. It quickly passed.

"We gonna need more water as well. Can ya get that for me?" Lorain asked him. "Aye! sur' can!" he said, moving swiftly. He was up on his feet, and Fleet took the canister and went off to re-fill it with water. Lorain watched him leave. Lorain realized that she needed to keep him occupied, to keep him from just sitting here and watching his friend get worse. He needed things to do. With a sigh, Lorain stood up, and leaned over Kaili, checking on her once more. She hoped the woman got better, but Lorain did not think that would happen. Those mongrel knights were plenty dang good, when it came to slaughter. How the woman had survied this long was a testament to her strength. Was it because of Fleet? Lorain sat back in her seat, and gave a long sigh. It didnt take long, before she heard Fleet's fast moving feet, as he returned back to the roon. She was suprised that he came back, with two small cakes as well. He placed the canister down on a table and handed a cake to Lorain. He munched his happily, oblivious to the crumbs on his mouth and tunic, as he shook his head. Lorain gave a soft chuckle, as Fleet obviously enjoyed the cake he had found. Lorain took a bit out of the one he had given her. Fleet could have easily hidden it. Another bit of proof of Fleet's good heart. And why he deserved any chance Lorain could afford him. As he ate, he began to speak of a few ideas of his own.

"We can search 'round after yu take a bit of rest, Lore." Lore? Fleet stops eating and smiles."Ey, Lore…I likes the sound of it. Mind if I call yu that?" He asked with a grin, then eagerly finished his small cake. Lorain had to laugh. "Sure. I dont mind. Kinda fits the way Im dressed now, I thinks." Lorain said with a chuckle. Then Fleet surprised her once more.

"Take a rest n' I'll be on first watch. Jus' like the city guard!" Fleet made a serious face, then brandished his dirk and swished it around a little, before placing it back at his side. He gave Lorain a sheepish grin. "We can go 'bout looking for stuff when it gets dark." Lorain gave him a silly salute. "Yas Ser! You seem to 'ave things well in hand." she told him smiling. And truthfully, Lorain could use the rest. She hated to admit it, but that swim had made her tired. And running around, carrying Kaili had all but drained her, but fear and a wish of not wanting to die, had kept her moving. Now, she could really appreciate a good rest. Lorain ate half of the cake, saving the rest. She was just so tired. She drank a bit of water that Fleet had brought back as well. Lorain then turned down the lamp, and closed the door to the room, before she found some other covers. She curled up in the chair, the covers pulled around her, as she made sure the dirk that Fleet had given her earlier was still tucked within her clothing. She yawned, and slid down on the chair, closing her eyes. She could not go out anyway, until the sun had set. It would be dangerious to do so before then.

"Just a few minutes..." she murmured softly, before she feel asleep. It was so fast, she didnt even notice it, as her body just seemed to melt into the chair. The silence so comforting, that she didnt even fight it, as it seemed to lull her to sleep...

. . .

Lorain woke with a start. She froze, eyes wide as she was trying to identify what it was that woke her. For a moment, she was confused as to where she was. She had been dreaming of home, and she had been back in the workshop, working along side her father. He had been telling her something that seemed important, but a strange noise had rousted her from her dreams. Now she was in a strange dark room, and there was moaning...

FLEET!

She sat up fast, as the moaning grew louder in volume. It wasnt Fleet. Fleet was laying on the bed, next to Kaili. Kaili was the one doing the moaning. Lorain turned up the lamp a little bit, and stood up, moving over to where Kaili lay. Fleet was starting to stir as well now, awoken by Kaili's insistent moans.

“Stop. . .please, please. . .stop!” Kaili was shaking in her bed, her head moving back and forth, her mind lost in the fever. Lorain poured some water on a cloth, and tried to place it on the woman's head. Kaili was starting to trash about now, and Lorain began to really worry.

“Don’t touch him. . .please. . .my baby, please, please don’t touch my baby. . .” Kaili cried out, as tears were streaming down her face. “PLEASE!” She flung her arm out and grabbed Fleet’s arm in a tight grip. “It’ll be ok. . .don’t cry Jekob. . .please don’t. . .” Then she took her hand off of him and she saw Lorain.

Lorain tried to comfort the woman, but Kaili took one look at her, and immediately screamed, before she collapsed back onto the bed, back into her fever induced sleep. Lorain stepped back, shocked at the response, before she reminded herself that she WAS dressed in man's clothing. Maybe that was it. That is, if the woman even really saw her. She was delirious. Kaili had gone back to talking softly to herself now, her words slow and slurred. Lorain snapped back, and quickly picked up the cool cloth she had dropped when Kaili had screamed and placed it quickly on the woman's forehead. She then sat back heavily on the chair she had fallen asleep on. Jekob. She called Fleet, Jecob. Her baby. Lorain covered her face with her hand. That would explain much. Lorain's eyes drifted over towards Fleet for a split second, and then she looked away, as she stood up, and walked over towards one of the shuttered windows. She hoped no one else had heard the woman.

Lorain heard a howl outside. A fox. Darkness had fallen outside now. Lorain kept her head turned towards the window, peeking out from the slats. Kaili's outburst had really shaken her. And she was now wide awake. Once they got Kaili quiet again, Lorain would head off to grab some fruit for them to eat. The juice might help Kaili as well. She needed something to help fight off the fever. If there were fruits on the trees, then that would be good. Lorain could make a tea, to help Kaili. Lorain then moved to the side of the bed, and began to tuck the sheets down a bit tighter. She then found another sheet, and tore a large swatch out from it. She steaded her face, keeping it tightly neutral, as she looked back at Fleet.

"Im going down ta take a look around. If it looks clear, Im going to see if any of them trees got any fruit. Kaili needs to drink something besides water. If there be any fruits, I can make a tea." Lorain gave Fleet a long nod.

"Keep watch over her, and tries to keep her quiet. And if anything happens, ya dont comes looking for me, ya hear? You keeps Kaili safe."

Lorain didnt wait for Fleet to respond, but walked over, and quietly opened up the door to the room. Giving him a look, she turned, and quietly closed the door behind her, and then continued down the steps. Once she got to the back way of the building, she pulled the dagger Fleet had given her. She have a soft snort, as she looked at the blade. She then sat at the door, carefully listening. She only opened the door, just wide enough for her to get out, and quickly closed it. She paused, carefully listening, like when her and Da used to go hunting. She liked fishing better, but still, the lessons were useful.

TAG: greyjedi125, spycoder9

25. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    20 Days Before the Wedding
    Isles, Breezecroft
    Docks, Evening

“The King sent you?” The retracted her blade, pushed Abott forward several steps.

Once he had turned around to face her, he knew then that she was of a different land entirely. Skin the color of bronze, with hair such a dark ebony, tied in beautiful braids. Her eyes were wide set apart, and yet that added to the simple mystique of her. She wore the clothes of a male sailor, and yet her feminine physique showed through in an outline. The blade was still in one of her hands, pointed in Abott’s direction, and by the snarl of her lip she wasn’t pleased.

“He knows the Naked Broad is my ship.” The woman growled. “And even if I’s gonna let someone else captain it, it sure wouldn’t be some ugly shoe scrape like you.” The woman pushed her way past him, the blade running along his arm as she did so. Even the way she walked was brutish, almost manly.

She headed towards her craft, griping and complaining as she walked. "Little Dim," The woman shouted to the man lifting crates. He paused and turned to look down at her. "Tomorrow bright and early you're heading up to the castle to ask why they're sending sailors up to take our ship! Tell them I sent ya!" Then she turned back around to Abott, sliding the blade into her pocket. "You, come with me."

"I'd like to have a few words with you, but only with a mug of ale in my hand."

TAG: Mitth_Fisto