main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Word of Advice

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by yodaman, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    Don't watch the trailer! It gives away so much cool stuff! If you spent this long being unspoiled, you might want to skip out on this one. There's a lot of stuff in there that I imagine you guys wouldn't want to know. If you didn't like knowing about Maul's double saber from the TPM trailers, then you probably won't want to watch this trailer. The plot points are rather general, but visually it gives away a lot. My advice, don't watch it.

2. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Good advice. You have a point there, but I doubt people will be able to resist.

It's not that bad though. The TPM trailers didn't show all of the coolest parts of the film....a lot of the Final Duel an the Podrace wasn't shown in and it was still great when you saw it in the theaters. This Clone Wars trailer will only be 2 1/2 minutes out of a 2+ hour film. There is still plenty new to see May 16th.

if you can resist, then I'm amazed quite frankly.

3. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    It doesn't show everything, but it shows a lot of the best parts. Seriously, stay away.

4. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    :eek:

Wow! You guys have me worried now. And I was looking forward to it all.

5. muymaul

muymaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 1999
    A general question, yodaman. Have you seen the trailer or did you read the descriptions? Just curious.

In any case, each person has to make their own decision as to whether or not to watch the trailer. I am thankful for the warning, and this is *not* directly aimed at you, yodaman, but I always wonder how much of the movie it will spoil without knowing anything else about the movie. What I am saying is, a person who is spoiled about AOTC may think that the trailer gives a lot away knowing where each scene fits. Whereas a person who isn't spoiled may think that what is seen in the trailer is cool, but not really have any idea of what it means.

6. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    Well muymaul, we've been getting descriptions of the trailer from the people at Show West. As I said, the plot points are general and it's probable that some already have a good idea about them. It's visually that I'm worried about. There's one thing we just learned today from the trailer description that's been a hot topic all morning. If it's a surprise to us, then surely it's a surprise to you. I'm also very familiar with what's been officially release and what you guys have seen. There are a lot of ships and vehicles that I know you guys don't really know about that will be shown in the trailer. There are other things like that which are shown. Trust me, you'll love the trailer, but you also might regret it. Remember, Maul's saber in TPM didn't have any plot points concerned with it, but a lot of people wished they hadn't known about it before the movie. That's sort of the case here.

7. muymaul

muymaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 1999
    yodaman, you make some good points. I appreciate your comments and general description of your feelings about the trailer. For myself, I will watch the trailer. First, I doubt that I could resist it. Second, I trust in Lucas. While some surprises may bein the trailer, I feel that he won't give away the main points of the movie. That is my opinion. Hopefully this discussion will help others to make their decision whether or not to watch the trailer.

8. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    That's fine. There's a lot of people in here that I feel wouldn't like to know about everything in that trailer. I certainly don't want to ruin your guys' enjoyment of the trailer, but at the same time I wouldn't want to see your enjoyment of the movie compromised either.

9. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    You're a good man Yodaman.
    The hot topic is a visual thing btw, not plot point. And while we knew of it for a long time, people tended to ignor it or deny it.
    But yeah, it really is a double saber type deal.

10. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    Even if you people do dodge this trailer on Sunday, you'll also have to try your best to avoid the commercials/magazines/newspapers up until May 16.

What sucks about commercials is they pop up out of no where and can still ruin a lot of it for you.

I remember the TPM commercial showed the Queen Amidala version..."I will not run, I will not ignore..." I was spoiled a lot by those small commercials. I saw the beautiful shot of Theed Palace seen from above (ascension guns) and a lot of other images were spoiled too. I wanted to experience those images for the FIRST time in theaters! Same with Duel of the Fates video showing shots of Otah Gunga and the March of the Gungans into battle.

11. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    How about if this is done. Non-spoilers wait for the trailer to come out and allow the spoiler people and any non-spoiler determined to see it no matter what have a go at it first and then let you guys know whether or not it's too risky or not watching it.

12. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    That's a good idea. I wanted to make clear that I am spoiled btw, so I will be watching it just the same.

But I can "volunteer" to help on Sunday night. I might be online and can also post some opinions whether the trailer reveals too much or not.

13. Jedi Without a Cause

Jedi Without a Cause Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2000
    When the trailer comes out. I'm watching it. Furthermore, I'd like a place to discuss it. I'm hoping that'll be on this forum. Maybe just one thread that is allowed to discuss the trailer or something would be good.

-JWAC

14. Crimson_Jedi

Crimson_Jedi Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    Watching trailers is one of the best parts of being a Star Wars fan. Nothing tops my excitement when I watched the TPM trailers and Tone Poems. Indeed, the one or two minute intensity of the trailers and commercials was more exciting than the 130+ minute film. And the AOTC trailers so far have been excellent. So, yes, I will be watching the new trailer with delight.

In any event, it will be hard to avoid the images of the final trailer as they will be all over print newspapers, magazines, and TV. I'd rather videotape the trailer when it is initially run or download it on the Internet than try to avoid it. Even if one tried to avoid the final trailer, a TV show show could feature parts of it while mentioning deep spoilers. By downloading the trailer yourself and watching it on your own terms rather than the media's terms, you might save yourself from unnecessary hardship. And if you want to stay truly spoiler-free, I suggest you unplug your TV and cut yourself off from many forms of media. That's a tall order for Star Wars junkies like ourselves.

Regarding Maul's double-bladedlightsaber, never once have I thought that knowing about Maul's weapon diminished from my enjoyment of TPM. And what was I supposed to do? Not watch the first TPM trailer? After 16 years of no Star Wars, this is the best advice that Star Wars fans have for each other -- "Don't watch the TPM trailer"? I beg to differ.

As far as I am concerned, watching Attack of the Clones begins with the trailers in November and March. That's part of the unique, inimitable movie-viewing experience that we of the non-spoiler ilk crave. The Lucasfilm cinematic experience of a trailer is part of the overall movie experience. Watching such a trailer in a theater (ideally) is totally different from highlighting and reading poorly written, meely-mouthed SPY REPORTS that are posted on the Internet. As an unspoiled fan, I seek to avoid the anti-climactic dissapointment of Spy Reports. Why settle for a sub-par text description of an AOTC scene when you can see it on the big screen in a few months? But the logic with trailers is different. Lucas creates his trailers to tease and excite us visually. If he wants to do that in November, March, or May, that's fine with me.

Anyway, the decision of whether to see the final AOTC trailer is yours alone. But no one is going to convince me to stay away from two minutes of pure excitement. Even if the final movie is sub-par (which is unlikely), no one can take away my rapture and enjoyment of the trailers in November and March. So, I may see a new ship or a new environment or Yoda doing this or that in the trailer. Well, I'd rather see it in Lucas's trailer than read a half-baked description of it by accident a few days later in a forum or hear some TV news anchor allude to it on the nightly news.

I don't know about you guys, but I am totally revved up and excited to see the trailer this Sunday!!

15. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Advice like that coming from a spoiled member really means little to me, no offense.

I know you mean to be helpful, but you have to understand that you are looking at it using totally different eyes than we will.

For instance, if you see a short shot in the trailer, you may be able to read something into that shot, based on spoilers. We, on the other hand, would not pick up on the subtlety.....

:cool: Mace Windy,
    one wind to blow them all!

16. Joukahainen

Joukahainen Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2001
    But when we (the unspoiled) are watching the film we may remember something from the trailer that tells us what happens next and may thus become a possibly huge spoiler in the middle of the film!

17. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Not likely, we may see several "revealing" shots in the trailer, but we probably won't be able to place them all in chronological order....

:cool: Mace Windy,
    one wind to blow them all!

18. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    Let me ask this - is it anything like the last LOTR trailer - which was pretty much a plot synopsis and a glimpse of TONS of locations?

I personally can't see how it is - because it was a long Gandalf voice over...

Either way - I'm gonna have to download it, being a canadian and all... So maybe I'll read reactions first and then download it...

19. Obi-Wan69

Obi-Wan69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 1999
    yodaman- I think I know some of the stuff you're referring to, however...I think you might be a bit confused. We didn't get a trailer description from ShoWest, we just got descriptions of a few of the scenes from the ten minutes of footage that McCallum showed to theater owners - which included a few key scenes non-spoiler people probably wouldn't want to see.

As far as the "Clone War" trailer itself, you're crazy if you don't want to watch it. It's not gonna ruin anything for you. You'll just be depriving yourself of lots of fun.

20. Joey-WanKenobi

Joey-WanKenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jan 7, 2002
    Yeah when I read the description I had that thought too...but since I've already read it I might as well watch it...

21. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Well, if there are images in the trailer that "spoil" us, so be it! We're going to see it anyway, and it is OFFICIAL, so why not?

Either we say "wow!" now, or we say "wow!" later, which at that point we'd know a lot more (from seeing the movie).

22. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    DO NOT WATCH THIS TRAILER IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN UNSPOILED.

But, if you do watch it. It will be the best trailer you've ever seen in your life. I promise.

23. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I don't know, it'll be hard pressed to beat all three of the A.I trailers.

24. Jorus_Kando

Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    DO NOT WATCH THIS TRAILER IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN UNSPOILED.

But, if you do watch it. It will be the best trailer you've ever seen in your life. I promise.

That about sums it up.

25. opinion

opinion Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    ...everyone should just watch it...in about a month your going to be sitting in front of your television or a movie theater and it is going to come on and you arent going to be able to move your limbs because of the excitement and youll end up seeing it anyway...

...plus george lucas is the biggest anti-spoilers guy around...hell tease us but he wont spoil us...come on he has been teasing us for years with the selects...this is just another huge tease...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.