main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Admit it . . . you cried." ** E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial Thread **

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Dal--Intrepid, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Even though every Star Wars fan I know hated E.T., it had nothing to do with the movie itself. It was simply that E.T. took over the top spot at the box office from Star Wars. But it really is a touching story and Henry Thomas did an outstanding job at a young age. Even now, I still get chills when E.T. lifts all the kids on their bikes into the air and the John Williams score swells as they take off towards the heavens.

2. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Well this Star Wars fan certainly does not hate it. I love this movie to to pieces. I can hear the score right now.

3. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    I was honestly never really that interested in ET. But even I hated what they did when they re-released it. Changing it so that all the cops end up pointing Walkie-talkies at them. And didn't they change something about the costume the kid wore too?

4. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    But even I hated what they did when they re-released it. Changing it so that all the cops end up pointing Walkie-talkies at them.

Yes, that's silly. I'll stick with my VHS copy.

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    You know now that I think about it, I've never seen E.T.

6. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    I don't think I've even noticed that on the DVD. There is one cool audio track on the DVD where John Williams conducted an orchestra live while the movie was being shown at the re-release premiere. You can also hear the audience at some points laughing or cheering whenever ET does something "magical."

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>And didn't they change something about the costume the kid wore too?<<

A comment about someone dressing up "as a terrorist" was changed to "hippie", I believe.

Anyways, as a kid I really didn't like the movie much, but when I caught it during the rerelease a few years ago, I was blown away at how great a movie it is. Truely is magical, and, with the power of Williams' score, there's no way someone could not be in tears by the end and still have a soul ;)

Picked up the 3-disc DVD set with the full documentary (as opposed to the short version on the 2-disc set), and it's great seeing a master like Spielberg at his height back during that era of film. For someone interested in film like myself, it's like walking with god. Great stuff.

8. StarWarsChick6

StarWarsChick6 Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2005
    I didnt like it much. Not because of the box office, but because of the actual movie... I think a large part of it has to do w/ the fact that when I first saw it I was little, and it freaked me out a bit. Kind of like Wizard of Oz. Interesting....

9. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    E.T. has Steven Spielberg and John Williams at the height of their powers. I've always loved it and I always will.

10. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Great movie. The plastic-covered medical scenes scared me to death as a little kid. [face_worried]

11. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    I never did cry at E.T
    I do not know why, everyone else I know has.
    (Although I do cry like a baby when I watch Watership Down!)

12. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    This is a great film... but if I ever see it again I think I'll scream. There are some classic films I can watch over and over and over again (LOTR, Ghostbusters, Star Wars OT, Indy 1 & 3), and there are some films that I have reached breaking point with. E.T is one of those films. Don't get me wrong, the score is magnificent and uplifting, the story and direction are excellent and the acting (mostly) is of a decent standard... but for some reason I simply don't want to see it again.

Also, you know that special edition version they released on DVD (relatively) recently, with some of the E.T puppet's stuff done with a computer E.T... wasn't that just the worst idea ever. The cgi E.T is appalling, far to capable and dextrous. You'd have thought they could've at least kept the puppet and cgi version of E.T consistent within the same film.

13. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    I remember our class actually took a field trip to see this movie when I was in 5th or 6th grade. At the end all of my friends and I were trying not to cry because we didn't want to be uncool.

14. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    E.T. scared the absolute crap out of me when I was a kid. Especially that scene where Elliot first sees E.T. in the thick grass ... holy crap!

I didn't have the ability to cry because I was too scared.

15. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    QFT. There's this whole sense of urgency to those scenes...

Jes

16. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Nope.

Which is weird, because I usually cry in movies at the drop of a hat. Maybe I wasn't paying attention enough.

17. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I have this on videotape.

One of my favorite childhood movies. I didn't watch it until I was 9 or so, but for that I am able to vividly remember the experience, watching the movie in the den. Absolutely, cinematic purity. (speaking of which, is it based off anything? An adaptation, I mean?)

18. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I've never seen it, but I want to.

19. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    ET was the first movie i saw in theaters...at a very very young age...
    it is an awesome movie...

And I remeber my parents bought us the movie when it came out VHS...they didnt tell us what it was, but they gave us Resses Pieces, and sat us down and pressed play...it was awesome...

Love the scene with the Frog disecting, where ET is watching "the quiet man" and Elliot follows what he is watchign and pulls the girl in for a kiss, just like John Wayne does!

20. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Erika Eleniak! Who can blame him for wanting to kiss a future Baywatch babe! [face_love]

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    same here. when i first saw it when i was a kid i was a little scared and creeped out.

good movie though. i like JW's music in it

22. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    I don't remember ever crying over it but it freaked me out when I was a kid.

23. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I totally cry every time i see this movie, which is every few years. I know exactly what is going to happen, but every time ET "dies" i just lose it. And the most recent time was probably theworst it's been since i was little. That movie is so touching.

24. Duro_Blade

Duro_Blade Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2002
    Amen to that. E.T. scared the crap out of me as a kid. Looking back, it was childish (haha), but to be honest I haven't really seen this movie entirely since I was about 4.

25. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Am I the only one who thinks this may be Spielberg's best?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.