main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    It is funny because Peterson was based off of another (very obscure) Marvel character altogether.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I think they merely share a name accidentally.

3. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Was there an episode last night?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    There won't be an episode until next Tuesday.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  5. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Comcast in the big fat middle part of CA is running "The Hub" post-State of the Union, for those who wish a rerun.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nice Emil Blonsky reference there. And lol at Ward and Coulson trying to figure out the holographic projector.

pronker and dp4m like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm still in "holy ****" mode and will need to rewatch tonight's episode from my DVR.

pronker and Lazy Storm Trooper like this.
  8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Is it just me, or was this show finally kind of . . . good?

9. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    They just needed to find their footing.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Once Joss reverted to form and started killing or nearly killing characters... yep.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's not just you. I gave up on it for a little while, in fact there are still a couple of episodes I need to catch up with on Hulu.

I had high hopes for this show when it was announced and am glad to see a return of some sorts.

12. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    So... is Coulson going to be forced to ask SHIELD to send Skye to Tahiti like him now?

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Was Stan's line to Coulson intentionally meta?

"As for you. Now is your chance to do better. Why don't ya see that ya take it!"

Loved the holo table bit too. And some amusement at the use of Robocop cop ads in the commercial break.

And now we know where the Abomination's cage is. Any potentially notable MU connections in Alaska?

14. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Was that Stan the same one from Iron Man 1?

15. AstroFan428

AstroFan428 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    What's with the damn schedule of this show? They just came back tonight, but the preview said March 4th for the next one. That's crap.

16. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Wow.

Sent from my communicator using Tapatalk.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I liked the structure of this episode, seeing all the different POVs. And the holo table bit was hilarious. I actually felt a little bad for MarySkye, too.

And no new episode til March 4?! WTHeck! Are they afraid of competing with the Olympics?

18. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Between this episode and All Hail the King it has been a very good day for the MCU.

Sent from my communicator using Tapatalk.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Olympics, primarily.

20. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I understand the rationale, especially since ABC is one of the main american channels... but they certainly left us hanging on a very big cliff there, didn't they?

Lauré :)

21. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    So we waited a week to get into sweeps, and that episode was maybe the second after the mid-season finale, and now we wait until March because of the Olympics.

I hate TV scheduling.

My one thought - the show has actually been good these past two episodes, but my question is why the hell it took more than half the season.

22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Just like the previous episode, this show has started to move things along a bit more and better utilize the team. I really enjoyed Ward and Coulson trying to use the holoprojector table. And May continues to be the badass agent. Fitz in particular seems to have matured nicely and is more willing to stick his neck out for missions. Simmons was pretty funny with the backstory (and Stan's cameo was quite amusing because of that). Skye got much better last episode and this episode also worked because the situation made more sense in comparison to "Magical Place". That said, I was a bit disappointed that they left it with her in the chamber near death. Given what we've learned about her, I was hoping whatever abilities she has would be hinted out before the end of tonight's episode.

The Deathlok thing was well done but would have been much better as a surprise. I hate that Marvel consistently jumps the gun and allows the news outlets to spoil everyone about certain things. Knowing that Mike was becoming Deathlok pretty much ruined any cool suspense. Hopefully they don't do this to us when it comes to the identity of the Clairvoyant. I'd like to actually find out on the show without having to avoid every entertainment website online.

23. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I think they announced Mike was Deathlok because they wanted press that wasn't "Agents of SHIELD is still very mediocre." The number of times I saw the quote that "[this was] an origin story, you just didn't know for who" got pretty irritating. It was painful spin that tried to paint everything that came before as "all going according to our grand plan," and it'd be easier to swallow if Mike had had any meaningful appearances beyond showing up to get exploded. TL;DR, I think they saw an opportunity and jumped on it, I don't think it's carefully mapped out - and that's fine.

24. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    With Deathlok and Sif showing up I think the show is adding 'heroes' and other supers to appear just to appease all the people who thought Agents of SHIELD meant 'but really super heroes saving the day' instead of actually being about agents of SHIELD

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I disagree- they've obviously had a plan. It's not about not having a plan but rather how slow of a burn they took in revealing it. Did you really not think Peterson wouldn't be returning this season?

On paper, their plan seems very logical and not all that dissimilar to the seasonal structure of other shows' first season:

-Introduce a character in pilot that you want to be a major recurring character by season's end
    -Follow with a series of stand-alone episodes as we get to better know our main cast, but with seeds leading to the later mythology
    -Bring character from pilot back during mid-season finale 2-parter.
    -Turn recurring character into villain as we approach the back end of the season/season finale
    -Good guys vs Bad Guys showdown.

It's just the execution is what threw people off, and so they're adjusting the pacing they've been doing while advertising this very publicly (thus spoiling the Stan cameo, Deathlok, etc).

The State of the Union was another delaying factor for this month. Had the show aired on a night of the week other than Tuesday, tonight's episode probably would have aired last week.

Another possibility is that, after tonight, I believe we are in the "back nine" that Marvel has been hyping up and, perhaps, those back nine are more serialistic in structure and, thus, would work better shown uninterrupted. That also helps nudge the season finale into May sweeps as well.