main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I finished the game (earlier in the week) and earned the Armchair General last night, so I'm rapidly running out of non-DLC content (I don't have the internet at home - I like being off the grid for a bit). I'm at 88% completion. I like the fact that if you lock all of your dens, you don't have to do den defenses and you automatically get the achievement, but I'm on the fence about having to constantly look at the Mediterranean Defense game now. I may have to bring my PS3 into the University to get all of my DLC stuff (for all of my AC and Batman games). I did all of the Desmond missions, too (some were more of a pain in the butt than others), but I forgot to check the credits - did Daft Punk do any scoring for the Desmond missions? There's music in #4 that gets really cool.

Overall, I liked it a lot, and I'm curious to see where it goes from here.

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I also enjoy being off the grid at home, sucked dragging the station into work just to unlock my pre-installed content.:p I think I'm right around 80% with only the "assassin race" left to complete. I have to go back and sync some of the specific mission requirements and find the tomb treasures. Other than that, not much left. My dog's name is Pasha, so me loved the unbreakable armor.:p

Anybody make ALL the bombs yet?
    What about the multi-player impact?
    Anybody figure out what they meant by saying MP was also tied to the story?

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The 'special assassins' you recruit and the targets in the 'master assassin' missions are the multiplayer characters. I think that's the tie in.

4. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    As I'm not online, does the multiplayer thing make Rhodes available for missions like the other cities in Mediterranean Defense, or does that take you to some screen/game?

5. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I am having trouble with desmond's journey part 2. How the hell do I get through it?

Also, I haven't had a single den defense since the first one.

6. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I just hit my first Altair memory. But Altair's voice seems much different than the voice used in the first game. It kind of sounds like the dude that does Ezio is trying to sound Arabic.

7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Desmond's puzzles are annoying and #2 stumped me in my tracks. I didin't bother going back to it prior to my returning the rental copy I had.

IIRC, Den Defenses only occur if your notoriety is completely in the red. If you keep it low by the usual means (bribing heralds, killing officials or removing wanted posters), the chances of that annoyance occuring are considerably reduced if not altogether eliminated.

8. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    There's probably a video walkthrough on Youtube. I can't remember the particular one but I don't recall any of the puzzles being too hard...just in one of the rooms working out where the exit was was difficult.

9. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I have just got around to finishing Brotherhood and Revelations back to back. And I have to say that despite not being a massive Assassin's Creed fan before I'm pretty excited for the last one. Brotherhood seemed a bit unneccessary to me, other than for finding the Apple. It did make some pretty decent refinements to gameplay that I don't think I could live without in any future AC games though. The plot in Revelations on the other hand was pretty epic.

Ezio and Altair were wrapped up pretty nicely I think. Subject 16's ending was a bit forced, but he never bothered me much anyway. Overall it's a decent way of ending the build up to the finale.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Only one problem: No wanted posters!

11. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I've had this since release day and...just started playing this (I know, I know...)

So my initial reaction is I don't really like the setting. The city and environment looks good, but I've never been a fan of this time period/culture. No offense to anyone, of course, just doesn't seem interesting. I'm still playing the game and, while I'm not very far, I'm enjoy it.

I jumped into MP early on again (like Brotherhood) and am having a good time with it. Unfortunately I hate the characters you can play as. Brotherhood had a bevy of great characters (the Dr., the Priest, etc) and this game has maybe one or two at most. Just very uninteresting. I am also wondering why every MP game has to have challenges, titles, logos, etc. like CoD. I know it works for CoD but does that mean it works for every other game, as well?

Anyways, I am trying to power through this so I don't have a large backlog and I can start back into ToR.

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I guess when you consider the incredibly more awesome games that came out late last year, who can blame ya? :p

Me, I'll wait 'till this game is dirt cheap and after I'm through with Skyrim (HAH!) and ME3 (HAH HAH!) before picking it up in earnest.

13. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Yeah, I hear you. I had it on pre-order so I figured I'd better get it while I could. I shelved it, though, in favor of Batman, Saints Row and Skyrim. And am just now starting to come around to it.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Personally I wouldn't bother. It's a stinking pile of a sequel.

I really tried to like it. But it's no good.

From the opening level that started off very well and then quickly degenerated into a load of arse, to the templar dens, the taking of which tends to be an exercise in frustration lacking any of the grandeur they had in Brotherhood, to some idiot sticking Eagle Vision on L3, it's a mess. Controls seem far more complicated than before too, overly so. It's hard to bugger up a control scheme that's been refined and improved by 2 predecessors but Revelations manages it.

As for the Altair memory I did...ugh, loads of idiot AI 'help' buggering up killstreaks, getting in the way and being a pain.

One thing the soundtrack disc really showed up is just how strong the soundtracks were in AC2, there was nothing to match it here and Constantinople can't match really match the Italian cities of the previous games.

Perhaps the biggest shame is the Den Defence game that triggers with full notoriety, but the methods for reducing that are themselves more limited - no wanted posters here. Plus, as you restore the shops, that notoriety goes up substantially, so what was great fun in Brotherhood becomes far more of a chore here. I also heard the crossbow got nerfed too, but didn't get that far - just all too frustrating and irritating.

15. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The crossbow definitely has been rendered useless

16. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Eh? I used it all the time. Still a silent kill.

17. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    ...and then I read stuff like this that reafirms it was a good call not to spend money on this game. I knew it was worrisome throwing another sequel so damn soon, specially handled by no less than four (or maybe more? I forgot.) different studios all over the world. A surefire recipe for disaster marring the efforts of incredibly more superior prequels. When all is said and done, all I care are the story cutscenes and YouTube's been my friend on this so far.

18. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Really? Every time I try to use it, it shoots bolts at the ground around my targets. Every time.

Luckily, the AI doesn't seem to hear the pistol.

19. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    I've been playing this for about a week now, dragging my feet with the actual story, and most free roaming. Just got to the part where you learn how to craft bombs, which I probably could have used earlier, lol.

I'm not a fan of the Den Defense either, but my main problem with it is I feel like I don't have any time to get setup for it. I've only done it twice, but in the 2nd non-mandotory one it felt like I couldn't get people setup fast enough, and then instead of a battling ram the Templars hauled in this Greek Fire sprayer...hit that thing 4 times with the canons and still destroyed the den. To top it off, as soon as I lost, I'm standing outside of the den, so I climb into view of the Captain and kill him with my arrow storm and the den is mine again, which completely downgrades the necessity of defending it in the first place. At least if you attack a Templar den and scare off the captain you have to "wait a day" before trying again.

Has anyone ran into the issue with the current patch causing problems unlocking the trophy/achievement for buying all the books? I've been holding out hoping they release another patch before I get to the point in the game where this is an issue.

20. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Is it just me, or is the AI worse than ever?

I'm kind of worried about Assassin's Creed III's quality now.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I guess it depends on what you mean by AI. I mean, in this one you've got eagle vision but the guards, they really have Eagle Vision! They spot you coming from miles away, out come the muskets - fast reloading super-accurate muskets too and you're stuffed.

22. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Holding down the fire button? I had no such problems. Maybe your XBox version is a fail.

Edit: also I don't think I got the trophy for all the books. :(

23. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Check this ****.

[image=http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/121/1219745/accc_1330566813.jpg]

Love the image. Templar Cornwallis? Jefferson? Assassin Washington?

24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Gah. So...close. Was seriously hoping for another revolution.

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Wickedly awesome...if it's official that is.

Several people asked for this time period in years past and I guess their wish came true...and a tomahawk wielding Assasin is certainly and truly baddass (they should make him native, just to mix things up a little).