main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Anakin Defeats Sebulba" and "Parade of the Charioteers" by Miklos Rosa

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Fat_Fett, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fat_Fett

Fat_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2001
    When TPM came out, many people noticed that the podracing scene was similar to the chariot race in "Ben Hur."

However, I haven't heard anyone on these boards talk about the similarities of the music from both scenes.

At about 2:43 on "Anakin Defeats Sebulba," the trumpets and trombones sort of "trade off" triplets with each other. This happens at about 2 more times in the track. The manner in which they do this is remarkably similar to a recurring section of "Parade of the Charioteers" by Miklos Rosa.

Just listen, and you'll see!!......or hear.....

2. Fat_Fett

Dec 24, 2001
    UP

Is this old news, or is everyone just ignoring me?

Comments, please......

3. Sapno Krei

Sapno Krei Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 23, 1999
    Didn't JW conduct "Parade of the Charioteers" for his SUMMON THE HEROES Olympics CD?

It's no surprise here if JW was influenced by that work. A lot of his stuff is derived from known pieces. Some say "Duel of the Fates" is a reworking of Orff's "O Fortuna" from "Carmina Burana".

4. Fat_Fett

Dec 24, 2001
    Yea, I see where you're coming from.

Other people say that the Imperial March is a ripoff of "Mars."

But "Anakin Defeats Sebulba" isn't an alteration of of "Parade of the Charioteers." There is just one section from Rosa's work that William's almost copies note for note - further showing that the podrace scene was intentionally an allusion to the chariot race in "Ben Hur."

Has anyone listened to the two pieces and compared them?

5. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    "Didn't JW conduct "Parade of the Charioteers" for his SUMMON THE HEROES Olympics CD?"

Yes, that track is on the CD.

I think "Parade of the Charioteers" has more in common with "The Flag Parade" than "Anakin Defeats Sebulba".

6. Fat_Fett

Dec 24, 2001
    OK - but I only have the 1 CD soundtrack for TPM, so "The Flag Parade" isn't on it.

Any other thoughts?

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Uh oh, you may be thinking of "The Flag Parade", maybe that's why some people are confused. Too bad I can't join in. :( I don't the music for this "Parade of the Charioteers" you're talkign about. :(

8. Fat_Fett

Dec 24, 2001
    Might I (gulp) suggest that you.....um......download it?

//runs away//

//comes back//

Well, you don't have to download the whole thing, but it's just in the first few moments of the track!

//runs away again//

9. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    It's alright, I have the single CD TPM dics as well as the Ultimate Edition, I'm just too lazy to get the single CD at the moment. :p

10. Fat_Fett

Dec 24, 2001
    Well, I was talking about getting "Parade of the Charioteers."

Now, do I get to recieve credit for discovering this, or did anyone else mention it first? 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.