main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Another Space Battle Test

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Green_Ant, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green_Ant

Green_Ant Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2006
    Hi,
    I've just finished one of my latest shots (took me almost a week to do this one) using 3ds Max and After FX.
    I'm using a new method for the lasers, by rendering the white cores in MAX and then compositing them (with glows) in After Effects.
    I used models from Scifi3D by the way.
    Here's the link.
    What do you guys think?

2. A_March

A_March Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2007
    It needs a LOT of work, the lighting in particular is pretty awful.

3. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    It's not too bad, I think your method for the lasers works pretty well. As far as lighting goes, the large capital ships need a bit harsher lighting. The transition between the shadow and light is too smooth. The explosion might need to be a bit smaller also, and possibly quicker, since it's so big you can see at the end where compositing makes it a bit transparent.

4. Green_Ant

Green_Ant Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2006
    Does anyone have any good tips for good lighting that doesn't take too long to render?
    That would be really helpful.
    Thanks

5. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Use one main spot light, with Area Shadows(fast and more accurate than shadow maps). Then add some omni lights around the areas with low intensities (to fake global illumination and make the shadows a little bit brighter). Just make sure that you have the omnis at very low intensities, like 0.1-0.3 and have the spot at like 0.8-1.0. Also, make sure the omni lights don't have shadows turned on and have specularity turned off also (just right click in the viewport with the light selected and turn of specularity in the popup menu).

6. drewjmore

drewjmore Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 15, 2007
    I'd be happy if I could get some of my stuff to look this good, but ditto on the lighting.
    I'm not sure about your hull-textures either: they're not quite right, they almost look gray & wet. Try for whiter & flatter (in the sense of 'flat' paint which has a dull, non-flective finish).

You've also got to have more movement; the big ships, the camera and the starfield should all be put in motion-- even if it's only subtle.

I notice you've used the free content from DetFilms. Perhaps fade those out with feathered masks growing from the center of each fireball, instead of using the opacity transform. You could layer several live-explosive elements, like visual echoes: you'll have more control of the density and they'll be less recognizable.

Also, add CG debris and so create some interaction with the other surfaces of the affected hulls: burn marks, holes, ricochets, venting atmosphere, etc. And render a separate element of that far right arm of the trade-fed ship: when the central sphere explodes the fireball should be partially obscured by that arm. Or make a special material using the DetFilms content and apply that to a virtual 'projector screen' in max.

7. OutlawImpy

OutlawImpy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2003
    I thought it looked really good. The only thing I would say to change is, as stated above, you might want to get a bit more movement out of the capital ships and the stars. In all six movies the background elements almost always had a bit of motion to them, even if it was just a subtle drift to help reinforce the idea of three dimensional space.

Otherwise, this looks really nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.