main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any paintballers out there??

Discussion in 'Archive: Tulsa, OK' started by DarthPaul1971, Sep 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPaul1971

DarthPaul1971 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2002
    My brother-in-law and I a currently working on building a paintball field behind my in-law's house in Porter. They have an acre and a half wooded plot of land that they have (willingly or not) let us use for this. So if there are any paintballers (within our group) out there that are interested in setting up a time to go out there and shoot it up gimme a holla.

Paul

2. Shadoe42

Shadoe42 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    Paul,

I wouldn't mind refereeing games for you guys. Before my car wrecks I was playing and refereeing paintball out at Paintball Land in Collinsville. I reffed out there for almost two summers.

Even on a private field I would strongly recomend you make people conform to standard safety rules...meaning full masks only...etc... at the very least make sure they wear certified Paintball goggles. Shop glass don't work. In fact they won;t even slow the paintball down in most instances.

hehe sorry this is a bit of a soapbox for me. Paintball in general tends to have a bad rep and much of it is because folks don;t take the proper precautions. Also I would purchase at least a portable chronograph and set the field limit to 275... tourny chrono is 300 FPS and let me tell you that can pack a punch. Plus if you are playing in the day if you set at 275 as the tanks heat up the pressure goes up so folks don;t end up firing at 325-350.

for those who haven;t played let me point out that as long as you follow proper safety measure paintball is an amazingly fun game to play and the hit is not very bad at all. It is only when folks let the gun speeds get out of hand that it starts to really hurt :)

Remind me some time and I will tell ya some paintball war stories :)

Anyway Please don;t misunderstand... private paintballis agreat. And Paintball in general is great. But I am a huge Paintball SAFETY advocate :) So if this sounds preachy ....well it is...but I have done some stupid stuff paintball wise and paid for it :) Even private games I reccomend someone acts as a ref and the players agree to abide by his calls.

With all that being said what kind of field are you building? Speedball or larger type field? Are you guys out away from residential areas I take it?

3. pinata242

pinata242 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    I haven't played in years and I don't have any equipment other than camoes. I'm down for whatever, I'd even splurge on a gun and paint if I thought it would be a regular occurance. BTW, where's Porter?

4. MysticTrunks01

MysticTrunks01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2002
    I have always wanted to, and only once with Otto's Walmart paint guns played (i won of course, but he did skip one off my crouch at an angle, but i was in a thick suit) ...i don't know why i said that.

Anyway, count me and Dena in, we'll go buy our selves some guns when the time comes.

Brent, Porter is just a little past Cowetta.

5. Icarus_apex

Icarus_apex Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2002
    Hey, I'm helping too! Sheesh, no respect. gripe gripe gripe whine whine gripe gripe whine.

I hope some folks will be interested, as it will be more fun with more folks. I just like the word folks. It's fun to say. How's your folks? My folks are very well, thank you. Your folking welcome. Well, that's the folkiest folk that ever folked folk.

Whew, sorry just had to get that out.

6. GENERAL_FEL

GENERAL_FEL Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    Don't listen to Ed and all his safety rants...paintball is a sport best enjoyed in the nude. ;)

7. talltrees

talltrees Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 14, 2002
    You all are dead!!! LOL! Just give me the chance to shot anything at most of you! [face_devil] Of course, most of you would love the chance to make me a walking target!!

Ice Queen

8. Icarus_apex

Jul 21, 2002
    Lisa, I will kick your butt just like I did at Laserquest. Except this time the stakes are a little higher. Just try not to bash your arm (or anything else) out there this time.

9. Sentinel_Vash

Sentinel_Vash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    I'm in just say when. And maybe we can cook some food after words at my place? who knows.

10. QueenOverVader

QueenOverVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    Boy, Mike1 will be so mad when he reads this.... he LOVES to play paintball! Maybe he will be back by the time this all comes together, who knows! And if he's not, I'll come out to join in the festivities :)

11. talltrees

Mar 14, 2002
    Joey, you so wish! You didn't kick my butt all that much. AND, it was just my first time. I think I deserve a little bit of learning time. LOL!

Ice Queen

12. DarthPaul1971

Jun 24, 2002
    WOW...didn't expect such a positive response. And let me say this, I don't expect anyone to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on equipment, but if you want to that's cool..heh heh.

And yes Joe is helping out too. :) Sorry I didn't give you props bro.

Yes Ed we expect anyone who joins us to follow safety rules. Barrel plugs, paintball masks, good thick clothing (it tends to sting on exposed skin, heck it stings even on non exposed skin). Thanks for mentioning safety Ed. It would be great to have a ref.

We actually went out and played the field today. We played one on one death match. It's great, we had a blast. The way we have it set up is with a base on either end. We have plywood bunkers for cover to protect a center main base. Each side is different and has it own advantages. The field is densely wooded, it's very hard to see to far with the amount of small trees shrubs and general bush. Which I think is a good thing. A word of caution for those who plan on coming out. It's a wild area, wild meaning rugged outdoor type place with everything that goes along with that. So expect to see poison ivy, poison oak, creatures like spiders (oooh the spiders) and snakes. Joe said he saw a snake, personally I didn't see one, but I don't doubt they are there. Hopefully since it's going to start getting cooler we'll see less of those type of things.

There are still a few more additions we plan on making, but I think the field at this point is playable.

Paul

13. pinata242

Apr 29, 2002
    Creatures, huh? Let's up the stakes and play with the additional rule:
    You're out if you get West Nile.
    Bring the Off, kiddos.

14. DarthPaul1971

Jun 24, 2002
    Most definitely...bring whatever you need to protect you from whatever you don't want to get on you. You're going to be out in the woods folks. If you are highly allergic to poison ivy or oak, I would suggest that you not come out. Not that we don't want you to come out it's just that I know some people get poison ivy simply from being down wind from it.

15. talltrees

Mar 14, 2002
    Oh, if the weather was anything like it was here (OKC), it was a beautiful to be out. Paul, did you kick Joeys a$$? hehehe!

Ice Queen

16. Maumi

Maumi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    Oh my goodness there are snakes,spiders, poison ivy and oak in the woods!!! I didn't know that thanks for letting me know!!! [face_devil]

17. DarthPaul1971

Jun 24, 2002
    Lisa-Actually no I didn't kick his butt...only because I didn't play him. heh heh.

Dena- :p Well you know, city folks may not be used to that sort of thing... :)

18. MysticTrunks01

MysticTrunks01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2002
    Does finding the snake pit count for extra points?

It sounds like fun guys. Want... to.. play..

19. Icarus_apex

Jul 21, 2002
    I have to admit that if we had played, Paul would've kicked my butt Lisa, seeing how he was the only one who didn't get tagged today. I'm tellin ya, watch out for this guy, quick and stealthy with a deadly aim.

:~:Hoser:~:

20. Forceofvader

Forceofvader Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2000
    Ed,
    That's where I know you from. I used to go out there a lot. I used to live over off German Corners and would go out there. I think you may have even kicked me out of there a time or two.

Paul,
    I hate you. I LUUUUVVVVV TO PLAY....You come up with this now. Geesh. I guess I'll just have to move back now. ;)-

21. talltrees

Mar 14, 2002
    Don't threaten us with that! LOL!

Ice Queen

22. GENERAL_FEL

GENERAL_FEL Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    I would just like to clarify something concerning my earlier post about paintball in the nude and ignoring Ed's safety rants. In truth, they aren't rants. They are common sense and very important aspects of the game. I was kidding, as many of you know. However, I wanted to make sure that everyone understands that while paintball can be a lot of fun, it can be very dangerous if the appropriate safety measures aren't followed. That means wearing clothes (drat :mad: ) and using equipment that meets certain specific safety standards. You cannot show up to play in shop-style safety goggles or a Stormtrooper helmet (although it has been done before. I highly recommend AGAINST doing so. A paintball will sail right through the lenses of a trooper helmet). "Tricked out" paintball guns might look awesome on the internet or video, but they have no place on your basic paintball field.

I spoke with Ed about this earlier this morning and I decided to post this info in support of safe paintball standards and regulations. I just had a visual of the whole TFF playing paintball in the buff and had to make the comment. :_| MY EYES! MY EYES! IT BURNS! :_|

23. Shadoe42

Shadoe42 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    Mike,

hmm I only ever booted one person that I can recall. And that fellow was a lot smaller than you hehe I suppose there might have been others. :) That was after repeatedly asking a guy to follow the rules that he agreed to when he signed the release and keep his mask on at ALL times while on the field. After the fourth time of asking him and his friends to keep thier masks on I told them back in the staging area that if it happened again they would sit out three games.... needlessly to say this guy did it again...I said sir that is it you are sitting for three games... he looked at me and said...and I quote...**** YOU....so I said..fine now you can go home.... he then proceeded to berate me all the way back up to the staging area. By the time we got back I had had enough...then this goober actually threatened to kick my a**...to which I laughed at him and told him if he was up to it to go for it. A few of the regulars at the point stepped up and this guy and his friends finally left. About an hour later his friends returned and aplogized...I said fine but I think it would be best if you left for the day as you were all removing your mask after being asked not too. To thier credit they did. Wouldn't have been so bad except the field owner was in the hospital that day. That was the only real problem I ever had out there. Other than the normal arguements about wether you were hit or not. hehe I always love the guys who try to argue when I am standing four feet away and watch the paintball from barrel to hit hehe. Most folks are pretty agreeable though.

In truth I actually had more fun refereeing than playing... heh got shot a lot more too.

And speaking of tricked out Paintball markers. The new autocockers look more like works of art than paintball guns hehe. All streamlined and chromed out. I still pick up a few paintball mags about every other month to keep up with what is going on. Some of the new equipment is just so far beyond what I used.

I think one of the reasons I had so little trouble out there was I was one of three...count them three referee who were actually older than about 17. At one point we all reffedd on the same days then we got smart and split the three adults one onto each refing team. And a lot of the problems disolved. Even though the kids out there normally know what they are doing a lot of adults do not like doing what someone they consider a child says.

24. Forceofvader

Forceofvader Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2000
    So he actually said F Star Star Star to you huh. I hate when that happens. Geez

25. pinata242

Apr 29, 2002
    At least he didn't use any lightning bolts like all the comic characters do... such potty-mouths.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.