main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR Any problems with F2P?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    So now that the game is F2P, i'm thinking about getting it. But i'm still not sure, cause every one seems to be complaining about it. "Oh you can't do this, Oh you can't do that!" Which makes sense because F2P on such a big game is bound to have restrictions! But I would like to know what kind of restrictions they have, can anyone tell me? I heard you have to pay to earn experience. WHAT!?!

Also theres alot of people complaining on after you download the F2P it wouldn't work because it says you would need a subscription or something! So I think i'll wait about a month if I do get the game to let the bugs pass. But has this happend to any of you guys, or any one else you know of?

So to sum it up

1. Is there any restrictions I should know. (big or little)
    2. Is there any problem with the F2P

All help appreciated.

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    You get about 75% of the experience of subscribers. You can't store excess items in your cargo hold. You can't use companion customizations. You can't have more than two action bars. You can't sprint until level 15. It takes much longer to recharge the Quick Travel system than it does for subscribers, and you have to buy more probes to revive on the spot with real money. You can't hide your head slot, or color-coordinate your armor. You can't purchase more inventory space, or use the best and highest-quality armor and weapons. You can't display Legacy names or the titles you earn in-game. You can't have more than two characters at any given time, total (not per server).

You can't do more than three Flashpoints per week and still earn items from them, and can't play more than three Space Missions per week. You can only create Human, Zabrak, or Cyborg characters. You can only have one Crew Skill at any given time. You can't have more than 200,000 credits at any given time. You can't send mail to other players in-game. Items cost more to buy from vendors.

Sadly, most of these restrictions aren't even truly necessary from a profit-oriented point a view, given that many other FTP games have proven themselves to be quite successful (and profitable) without implementing such limitations.

Spazmatron likes this.
  3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    It seems like they went overboard in limiting FTPers. I'd like to think that they'd course correct, but I don't think that'll happen.

4. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I imagine they'll eventually lift some of the restrictions, either to just stop the complaining or when they start taking tips from other FTP games on more efficient ways to make money. I can't really think of any other significant game that allows you to play all the way to the end while shackling you with that many annoyances.

Sure, you can play to level 50, but you have to wear our silly hats and walk slowly while you do it!

5. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    There aren't any real "problems" with it. I believe my character has some stuff that new people can't get because I had the to lvl 15 for free account, now a F2P account. However, they limited a lot of things, but those things are very small. First of all you get all of the worlds locations, and quests, (I think) and the story for free. That is HUGE. Things that are restricted are like, only 5 PVP games per week, only 3 (I think) Space battles per week, and you have to unlock emoticons or the big kicker (only one crafting ability per character, WTH!?!?!) And you don't get all the flashpoints or operations. This game has a whopper load of free content, and some of the P2P things are really dumb, but hey, they gave us pretty much the whole game for free, so we shouldn't complain. They could have not given it to us at all.

Someone tell me how to get free cartel points to erase some of this sillyness.

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I forget where I read it, but I'm pretty sure you also earn experience slower than subscribers. But then that's probably why they sell experience boosters on the cartel market (although I think I heard a few missions might have those as rewards, but just sounds really troublesome). I know they were going to restrict a lot of things, but only now do I realize how convenient subscriber status is. Technically you can see all the cutscenes, but... well, leveling up to fight all the bosses is giong to take a while. Which I suppose is the point of F2P.

I'm in it mostly for the story and Star Wars stuff, so it does sound appealing, but all the restrictions sound annoying (can't use the best gear, or hold that much stuff, etc.).

As far as I know, you can only buy cartel points with real money. Well, if you're subscriber, you get a few cartel points every month. Leading up to the F2P launch, if you were subscribed or came back after the announcement, you got some cartel points too.

That's a long list of restrictions, and we'll see how this f2p thing works out. Just hope there aren't too many big bugs or crashes. On the first day, I logged in fine, then the next time I logged in and the game thought I wasn't a subscriber and so many icons disappeared, ugh. Logging back out and in again solved the problem, but still had to set up my controls again.

7. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Do note that the restriction of only having two characters total does appear to be a bug, now. The intent seems to have been two per server, but the execution...failed. Rather impressively. People with no characters at all are being told to delete their characters to create a new one.

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    It would be interesting to hear how many new subscribers they picked up as a result of F2P and what income was generated. The only way SWTOR will survive, if they do a WoW type expansion pack.

9. Spazmatron

Sep 19, 2012
    Expansion packs is probably a bad idea.... Keep it a single game...

What they need to do to make it more popular is fix the space combat.... The current system is fun but is quite poor. Give us sandbox space, world pvp in space and let us capture territories of space, and get rid of the freaking rails. They said they are working on something "revolutionary" for space, so hopefully they make something good so that space combat feels like Star Wars... They also plan on adding "Guild Capital ships" which could make space a whole lot more interesting for the sake of combat...... Its all there, all they really need to do is remove the rail, which takes like no time, then add free moving controls and pvp, world space and wham, a much better game.

If they did space right it could easily become a ridiculously popular MMO.

10. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Guild capital ships have been promised since launch, so we'll see what happens there...

Space was one thing that SWG did amazingly well with. Multiple people on one ship performing different roles, no rails...

ahh... those were the days.

11. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Microtransactions, more likely. And hats. Lots and lots of hats.

12. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    No non-ugly gear, The token bought gear will continusly get more and more awful looking. And store gear better and better looking.

13. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    That would be pretty awesome if they did a space combat WZ

14. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I've been playing it with no major problems, save a few glicthes here and there and the occasional bump from the server. i am highly addicted, already up to level 14, and fully plan to subscribe as soon as I reach level 50.

Those who complain would probably complain about anything.

ILNP likes this.
  15. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I've been playing the last few days and have been thoroughly enjoying it thus far - currently have a Level 11 Jedi Knight (Sentinel) and a Level 11 Trooper (Commando), both now on Coruscant. Unsure yet but I'll probably from now on just stick to my Jedi character, and then later try my hand at one of the Sith/Imperial classes (if the 2 character total limit is still in place by then I'll either delete my trooper or just create another F2P account).

I never played TOR before so I can't compare the current F2P with what it was previous. From some articles I've read the F2P is pretty much perfect if you're just looking to play mostly single player for the storyline (which is what I more-or-less do - have only grouped once or twice). Some online articles question whether the way Bioware have chosen to make the storyline stuff free whilst restricting the rest will pan out in the long run:

5 things to know before trying 'SW: TOR'

Will SW: TOR's Free-to-Play Deal turn it into an online Single-Player RPG?

16. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    If you plan on using that character a lot when you hit 50 for the end game pve and pvp content you might as well sub now then to be honest, otherwise you are going to have one hell of a grind when you hit 50.

You''ll want your valour level at max, Warzone comms and ranked warzone comms as high as possible, as many daily comms as possible for pve gear...

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

Echo-07 likes this.
  17. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Thanks for letting me know this. I realized my valor wasn't moving. The only problem with subbing now is that its the holidays and I don't have the money (I plan on getting ther 6 month deal).

18. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Just keep in mind that your valor level cant exceed your character level.

19. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    No worries...

When you are subbed you can have a max of 2750 Warzone comms now I think. The most efficient thing to do would be to ensure you have maxed out your warzone comms before you hit Valor level 40 (character level 40). Once your valor level hits 40 you can trade your warzone comms for RANKED warzone comms at a rate of 3 to 1.

Once you've done that, again the most efficient thing to do would be to continue building up your warzone comms and, when maxed again, keep on trading for ranked warzone comms. Try to ensure your warzone comms are maxed out when you hit 50, you should then be able to get some top PvP gear straight away.

Ranked warzone comms are what you use to purchase the third tier of PvP gear (you currently have Recruit (free junk), Battlemaster (buy with normal warzone comms) and War Hero gear). As well as costing ranked warzone comms you also need to trade in the equivalent piece of Battlemaster gear.

Your Daily Commendations are used to purchase the best modifications (armouring, mods, barrels, hilts etc) for your PvE gear until you start to get the gear dropped by bosses in the hard mode flashpoints and Ops missions (8 to 16 man flashpoints, basically).

Echo-07 likes this.
  20. Spazmatron

Sep 19, 2012
    One cool thing I found out, is that every item on the cartel market can be sold on the Galactic Trade Market. So if we want to get more quickbars, a cargo hold, more crew skills, pvp passes, someone who spends money on the game can sell that unlock for credits to us. That's really cool because then the game gets the money, the buyer gets the credits, and we get our unlocks... Gonna be buying some unlocks when I have the creds for it.

21. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Some items from the cartel market have an approximately 2d holding period before you can sell, i.e., the items are bound to your character for that period of time during which you cant sell.

22. Spazmatron

Sep 19, 2012
    So? There are people selling unlocks for free and that's a really good sandbox element to the game.

23. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I am certainly not complaining. I have made over 1 million credits already. :)

24. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    You might have a long wait: every unlock I've seen at the market has been priced well above the 200,000 FTP credit cap and the 350,000 credit preferred credit cap.

25. Spazmatron

Sep 19, 2012
    yeah it depends on what server. Some servers have stuff up for like 50k Ive heard on the forums... But on the bastion I've seen like 400k for quick bars.... seriously... They need to make a credit cap unlock. :(