main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anybody going to Megacon?

Discussion in 'Archive: Daytona Beach, FL' started by Jayna, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayna

Jayna Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Seeing as how Megacon is going to be in Orlando, I was wondering if anyone was going. Perhaps we could meet up there or something. It starts on Friday the 28th and goes through that weekend. Check out the website for more details.

Mega-con

2. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    I wanted to go with the Gamer's Guild here on campus, but my club, ERFSEDS, already had a trip planned to the Museum of Science and Industry and considering as how I'm the PR Officer I'm kinda stuck :p Although at tonight's meeting I'll be Acting President *evil-grin*

3. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Hey cool! I was thinking about joining ERFSEDS. From what I had heard, it was right up my alley. Is it fun? Do you do a lot of stuff?

What day are you guys going? The con goes through the weekend and I had only planned on going for one day. Perhaps you could still come? If we got more people and went as a group, we could make it an official fan force event!

4. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Hmmmm, that sounds good. We are going Saturday, and I have class Friday (and of course Farscape :D )

There is an ERFSEDS meeting tonight in LB-177 at 6pm, why not come see for yourself. Like I said, I am acting prez tonight :p If you want to know what we do, check out the website in my sig. I'm not only the PR Officer, but the webmaster too :) Like I said, this weekend we are going to MOSI, next weekend we are going to the Cape, two weeks ago we had five people (including myself) get their Level-1 High Powered Rocket Certification, and we are doing another launch in Bunnell March 8th, the first Saturday of Spring Break.

5. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Well, I don't think I can make it to your meeting. I'm in ERRSA (Embry Riddle Resident Student Association) and our meetings are Tuesdays. Being a exec board member, there's no way I can miss. How long do your meetings usually run? Do you have to go to all of the meetings to be in the club?

I think my friend Dave went for his level 1 certification a few weeks back. How fun! I don't know much about rockets, but it sounds cool!

As far as MegaCon goes, would you be up for a trip out there on Sunday?

Is there anyone else out there who would want to come?

6. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Haha, it does kinda sound like the two of us are keeping the boards alive :p Unfotunatly the only other guy I know that came to the first fanforce meeting is going Saturday with Gamer's Guild. How were you planning on getting there? My truck is currently needing a new front end, so my transportation is out for about two weeks :(

As far as ERFSEDS, meetings are usually between 10 and 20 minutes, unless you want to stick around and work on something. You don't have to come to every meeting, if you just show up, pay the $10 dues, and seem somewhat interested, you'll get on the e-mail list and there's always the website. The main thing is wether or not you want to be an active member. We have a few kids that show up for a meeting or two a month, give a little input, and are happy with that. That's cool. Then we have others that are at every meeting, come to the certification workshops, go to the events like KSC and such, and that's cool too. We're very laid back and relaxed, so if you don't come to every meeting or every event, no one will really care. Even if you have to leave early, there's really no problem. One of our members is an exec with SWE and always leaves early, so it's no biggie.

And if you are interested I can always keep you up to date :) Also, your friend Dave, would we be talking about Library Dave?

7. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Hi all....
    I'll be at MegaCon on Saturday as part of the Rebel Legion's display table. I'll be wearing Padme's white costume from Ep2. Stop by and say hello!
    PS- I saw a girl wearing an AOTC shirt today in the cafeteria, it had Clone troopers on it. She was talking to a guy in a yellow shirt. Was that any of you ladies?

8. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I'm not a lady, but I have an episode 2 shirt :D

9. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Wow, Karma. You're a riddle student too? How crazy is that?!? We could start our own campus FF chapter! Very cool.

I know that wasn't me in the cafeteria, though. I have my schedule set so I have no classes on Tuesdays- so I wasn't even out that way. It's great to hear that there are more fans around here, though! If only we could get her here on the boards!

I will definitely be heading out for MegaCon on Sunday, and possibly Saturday too. I'll look for you Karma! I'll probably be dressed in my Jedi garb if I go that day, so hopefully I'll see you there!
    You can catch a ride with me if you want, Q99213. Just let me know.

10. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Woohoo! I'm likeing this talk of a campus chapter :D Just tell me where and when to meet ya Jayna and I'll be there, though I'm going to be supporting Farscape this year. ;) Are you getting your ticket on-line or at the door?

11. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    You know, I haven't given the thing all that much thought or planning as of yet. I'm kinda taking things one week at a time. Is it cheaper to buy it ahead of time online? If so, that's probably how I'll do it.

A campus chapter would be really cool. With you guys, I know of 5 of us so far that go to Riddle. Possibly 6. From there, it wouldn't surprise me if there were at least several more out there. We could make it an official campus club. How cool would that be?!?

Something to think about...

12. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    The tickets on-line are $15 and at the door they are $18. The last day to purchase on-line is the 23rd.

I love the idea of doing a campus club, or at least holding more general meetings. I was so upset when my buddy told me about the first one that I missed because I'm always on the Fan Film board and didn't even know about this one! Oh well, if you and anyone else is serious, let's set up a date/time/place. Do you live on campus??

On a lighter note, I just got my new telescope in! *runs outside, neglecting the physics/calc HW piling up on bed*

13. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    I'll probably be buying online in that case.

Woo hooo! What kind of telescope did you get? I've been dying to bring mine down here but there never seems to be enough room in the car and I don't quite trust UPS enough. :)

14. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Actually I now have two, both are Polaris 60-EQD 675 power. My stepbrother borrowed the first one and decided to use an SOS pad to clean the lens :mad: so rather than spend $100 on new ones, I found the same telescope on e-bay for $19.99 :D

15. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    An SOS pad?!? Are you serious? What in the world was he thinking? :eek:

16. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    He doesn't. He's a 15 year old pot head that was using it to check out the neighbor. The only reason it was 'unguarded' was because I was up here in Daytona and didn't have the room to bring it up with me.

17. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Where are you from?

18. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Actually I'm an alumni ('97) and now I work for ERAU, in the Fleet Maintenance Center.
    One of you Riddle poeple is in the Gamers Guild. Garrett (your club advisor) is one of my best friends.
    I KNOW there's gotta be more SW fans at Riddle, the school is a sci-fi geek's heaven. Hmm... the "Riddle Rebels Chapter"....
  19. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I'm originally from the Tampa Bay area on the west coast of Florida, which is why I found out about my telescope I was able to drive home, kick some butt, take some names, and resuce my poor baby.

20. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Hmmm... The Riddle Rebels. I like the way that sounds! Good thinking Karma!

Q99213, you're not too far from home, then. My roommate's from around that area. Do you go home often?

21. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I also like that name :)

Jayna, I don't go home that often. Mainly because my truck guzzles gas and my families are so screwed up right now I enjoy not having to be in the middle of the mess :(

22. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I just e-mailed the MEGACON people and asked about their policy on weapons and they said that all guns have to be orange-tipped and stay-wrapped into a holster. Thus no Pulse Pistol for me *sniffle* :( I don't know what the policy on lightsabers is yet, but when I get a response I'll let ya know.

I was also thinking about alternative names for a fan force chapter, just in case not everyone was from Riddle, and in keeping with the racing/aviation themes I thought of: Daytona Beach Pod Racers; Daytona Beach X-Wing Drivers :)

23. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    I would be shocked if they had a problem with people bringing lightsabers. Maybe with the blades in, but just as hilts shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the name goes, I know we had started up a thread for that and there were some very good ideas brought up. You seem to be thinking along the same lines as a few of them. You should check out that thread.

24. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Sabers are fine, just as long as we aren't 'swinging them around in the main hall' Now what am I gonna do for fun?!

25. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Ah- no problem there! Just avoid the main hall!

As soon as you're in the bathroom or something, swing away! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.