main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London, ON Anyone looking for a roommate?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Admiral_Thrawn60, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    OK, now, as you all know, I have to leave the place where I live now this summer, because my aunt is getting rid of it. I've toyed with the idea of buying it from her, but that's quite a big mortgage. However, I've talked with the manager at A&P recently, and they want to put me into management. That's a big opportunity. However, A&P doesn't exist in BC, so I'd have to stay here. That means finding a place to live. So, I'm looking for a roomate, either to stay with them, or maybe to have them stay with me. Anyone else looking?

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Gee, you'd think a company called Atlantic & Pacific would actually have store oh near the Pacific??

I know, I know, its all part of a bigger chain anyways... just one other corporate megalopy.

3. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Actually, no, it's not. We're at the top of this chain. A German company owns the A&P stores in New Jersey, but not here.

You'd also think a company called the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company would sell more tea.

4. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Top of the chain is still a part of it, so nyah!

Good luck though on the house hunting.

5. The_Last_Warrior

The_Last_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2002

If you can somehow manage to get through until May of 2004, then I would be looking for a place, yes.

I'd like to suggest getting yourself a copy of the Western Gazette, or any London paper for that matter. Every year, all kinds of students in this city look for a place to stay.

If you don't mind going in with strangers, or having strangers come to you, definitely use it as a resource. Average rent for a bedroom in London is about $375/month, but that's figuring you're with other people. Our place is something like $1160/month, and it has 4 bedrooms. This year we only had 3 people, and it was 386/month each. Next year we've got 4, and it's 290/month each. VERY affordable....

I have friends who look into those ads that say "3 students, looking for one more to share house." They always land them, and because they're living with people their age, it's fun, cheap, and a great experience.

If you need more info, Chris, feel free to PM me.

6. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    2 words: double cohort

Finding rooms is going to be a lot more difficult I think, and the places that are available will probably be charging more. I know in St. Catharines (another university town basically) that houses are being grabbed up very quickly for use by students.

Heck a house 2 doors down was sold in under a week, and I betcha is going to be converted to student housing.

7. The_Last_Warrior

May 6, 2002

Yeah, that's a good point. So Chris, you might want to move fast on this one....

But London has had a previous abundance of housing, and the University just built a brand new dormatory too.

Still, better safe than sorry, I guess.

8. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I just got a letter in the mail today. I've been accepted into 1st year BA at UBC.

Decisions, decisions! :_|

9. The_Last_Warrior

May 6, 2002

Well, congrats on the acceptance!

Boo-urns to the difficult choices.

10. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Now I have to choose between Kelowna, London, Toronto, and Vancouver.

Erin's gonna kill me.

Don't forget about Germany. Free tuition for citizens. I can see it now...

Me: I've been thinking... instead of moving halfway across Canada, which I already feel bad about talking you into, how about we move halfway across the world instead? How about Hamburg? You could pick up German really fast!
    Her: //slap

11. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I just found a place for $250 inclusive... but that was really a fluke.

12. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Kelona is always nice this time of year... ;)

13. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Yeah, but it would be a not nicer if it didn't have my mother and sister there. :p

14. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    On the bright side, you can get cheap room and board. ;)

15. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    There are problems with it. I'd have to leave the Company because it doesn't exist out there, and the unemployment rate in the city is 22%. It hasn't been that high since the Great Depression. It's nice, but because of American tarrifs, it's dying.

16. SarahSkywalker

SarahSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 24, 2002
    Well my whole building is opening up.
    2 Bachelors at $385 and $325 a month inclusive and 2 3 bedroom apartments, not sure how much.
    The place is awesome though and the landlords are great.
    So if you want to rent a bachelor pad, it worked out great for me.

17. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    325 for a bachelor???

I'm interested, thats what I am paying for a room!

Inclusive? Like?

18. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    makes me wish I'd waited to get a new place.... although my new rent is $250 inclusive each for two people.

19. SarahSkywalker

Sep 24, 2002
    The $325 one is smaller than mine, I'm in the $385 one. But it has a bathroom, oven, fridge and sink...and some cupboards, a small closet, and inclusive covers electricity and stuff, all I'm paying for is my phone, net and tv.
    There is a washer and dryer right outside the door too...and it takes quarters.

20. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Janet, WOW did you ever get lucky there! $250 is amazing!
    Justin, you should move into Sarah's place! I mean, Matt and I are already going to be living in her old place, so you should live in one of her old places too! (We're paying $375 inclusive except for phone, cable, and electricity (which won't be that much anyway)).

21. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Hey Sarah can you PM me the info?

22. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Chris,
    If you tell me when you're working next, I can grab you a copy of the Western Gazette and drop it by (hopefully we'll be working at the same time). Just so you can see what's out there in terms of "student-type housing"!

23. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    That would be great. I work 1:30-6:30 today, 4:15-8:15 Monday, 5:30-10:30 Thursday, 6:15-10:15 Friday, and 1:45-6:15 Saturday. I'll probably be called in on at least one of those days off (Tues-Wed)

P.S. - Remember those strawberries we were talking about? We sold about 500 lbs of them yesterday. :D An entire skid came in on Friday, and today I'm going to have to order another skid to come in on Wednesday. No risk of overstock. In fact, there's a good chance we'll sell out before Wednesday.

The cantaloupe, on the other hand... I have an entire skid of that as well. $1.97/each. It's not selling very well at all. At half price, I expected us to sell a tonne of it, but hardly anyone is buying it at all. :_|

God this job is stressful. Buy cantaloupe, everyone! :p

Speaking of overstock and understock, someone screwed up badly. They filled the limes, and put a half-empty box in the cooler without properly labeling it. When I punched the order, I assumed it was a full box, so I didn't order anymore. Turns out there must have only been a few in there, because we ran out early yesterday morning. 17 people asked Dan or I if we had anymore limes yesterday. Thankfully, we have some coming in today, which should be there by now.

EDIT: We sold out of strawberries at 4:00 this afternoon. Insane. 1000 lbs of strawberries sold in less than 2 days.

24. SarahSkywalker

Sep 24, 2002
    Sure Justin, if you want to come by sometime you can see my place, to see the other we'd need to talk to my landlords, but I could set that up for you if you want.

25. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    mmmm... strawberries....

I like cantelope too, but I'm out of money till Friday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.