main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ AOTC Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SWNZ, May 15, 2002.

?

AOTC Appreciation Thread

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Best there is, best there was, best there ever will be!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Loved it!

95.2%
  3. Good movie

4.8%
  4. It was average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. //Yawn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Please George! No more!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
  2. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Given the fact there has been so many good responses I think our feelings need to be represented in one thread.

I personally Loved it. Not academy award winning stuff (as far as acting is concerned) but it doesn't matter. Another piece of the puzzle has been added to the final masterpiece.

3. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    I don't know about best, but definetely loved it. Top stuff!

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Loved bits of it. Certainly room for improvement. This is what I wrote upon seeing it ,in PSA.

Parts of it were excellent. Other parts left something to be desired. Almost all the acting was top notch (even little Boba Fett was good) - except for Hayden's early scenes / love dialogue. They just didn't seem natural. His "angry / defiant" scenes were amazing though.

The whole Naboo sequence was pretty much un-necessary - the romancing could have happened anywhere. It just added yet another location to an already location-heavy film. The jumping from one planet to the next was confusing to a lot of the audience. Whatever happened to good old Tatooine -> Death Star -> Yavin or Hoth -> Dagobah -> Bespin?

Some pretty "forced" (no pun intended) gags too. The 3PO / Battle droid head switch was a bit contrived. But others I was with loved that bit.

Obi-Wan is excellent, funny, and exasperated at Anakin most of the time. Kenobi has all the best lines.

The kidnapping of Shmi, and her death (plus the fact Anakin doesn't try and revive her) seemend under-explained. As did the scenes with Cleigg, Owen & Beru.

The Coruscant scenes are breathtaking - especially at the start when the Nubian ship lands through the fog. Most of the (obvious) CGI is very good (the Kaminoans & clone parades especially). The Shaaks are not so great, but the arena beasts are pretty good. The non-obvious CGI was perfect.

Every ship / speeder now seems to have the clang-clang-clang engine noise first heard in the Podrace, which is a little distracting.

Yoda is the highlight. Well, he and Natalie Portman's tummy. Overall, not the "greatest Star Wars movie ever" as some have been saying. Better than TPM & ROTJ though...

So, through all the highs & lows I rate it

6.5/10 (ANH 8, ESB 8, ROTJ 6, TPM 5)

Of course I would never review a CD after just the one listen, so I may well have different feelings 2nd time around :D

5. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    well, 1201 was soooo worth it, when those magic opening credits rolled across the screen! to be honest that is my favourite part of the star wars films:)

i think the lars aspect will come out next movie, they were just introduced this time.....

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    But Padme & Anakin never even said goodbye! :(

They just viewed the hologram & took off.

How rude.

7. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    The yoda/dooku fight scene ROCKED!!
    nice to see why yoda is a jedi master at last!

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I loved the look on Yoda's face and the martial arts stances while he was facing off before the duel! :D

The duel itself was awesome too...

9. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    where i was every one was in hysterics in the Yoda fight sceene

10. farmboynz

farmboynz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2001
    It was awesome, loved it

Yoda was great

the whole Tem entrance reminded me so much of Jake the Muss
    Little Daniel also cool, i loved how they kept the accents

Thought Obi had some great lines

11. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    it was great, favourite parts:

Jedi arena battle, Yodas fight (esp when he picks up his stick afterwards!) Death Star revalation...

I think I'll see it again before I vote, theres alot to take in at 12.01am. :)

12. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Loved it! [face_love]

Coruscant chase and Jedi battle in the arena was breathtaking. :D The little jedi were sooo cute! 8-}

13. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Absolutely outstanding,

14. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    That what my 4th form Economics teacher wrote in my report card. 8-}

15. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    Lucas screws the eu over again thanks

maori accents hated them seemed more like a local film than SW

all yodas possess where not neccasery made him more like karate fella than a jedi

fav parts

genosian battle
    C-3p0 on genosian
    anikan going nuuts at the tuskans
    the jedi starfighter and its hyperdrive ring thingy good idea like it alot pitty hasbro gave the toy some gay atttack feature that wasnt in the film insted of the hyperdrive ring

16. Darth_Graal

Nov 19, 2001
    yeah the hyperdrive thing is cool, however as for george screwing over EU, how can he screw something that he created in the first place? if you create your own universe then you can pretty much do whatever you want...

17. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    Are we talking about the Death Star thing?

If so... I think he should have been more careful with it. I mean, he did authorise the EU books.

18. Darth_Graal

Nov 19, 2001
  19. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    Lucas is a fool

20. Darth_Graal

Nov 19, 2001
    but oh such a rich rich fool, you've probably greatly contributed to his fortune yourself ace

21. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Personally, all this continuity stuff ruins the fun for me. They should leave authors free to write what they want ... I for one, couldn't care less whether a new star wars novel is exactly accurate with all comic books, novels and trading cards that have gone before.

I can understand keeping a particular series of books, like Jedi apprentice, or a particular series of comics consistent, but outside of that, is quite crazy.

I guess it depends on how you view Star Wars. To me, the real story of star wars is the story told in the movies. The rest is just fun speculation. Licensed spin offs are just like fan fiction to me ... fun speculation, but nothing beyond that.

22. Darth_Graal

Nov 19, 2001
    here here! a drop of reason in an ocean of insanity!

23. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I agree with Kitt. For me Star Wars is a 6 movie story (and some toys) I don't read any of the books or comics, I don't actually know hardly anything about the EU. I just love the movies and the story told between the opening scene in the trilogy and the last.

24. farmboynz

farmboynz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2001
    I agree with SWNZ & Kitt

For me it is the movies first, then the figures of course

I have read some of the book, but mainly ones that don't impact much on the overall story,

never really understood the EU stuff
    Reading the books "tales of ...' such as bounty hunters/catina, little short stories that give an extra spin on some of the minor characters but have no effect on the moives, so i enjoy them

But as i said it is the moives for me

Bring on #3

25. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    hi ... I'm a newbie.

(Please read my post in the "Episode II toys" thread if you're interested in hearing about me.)

I find this whole "cannon" debate quite interesting. Personally, I think the EU is a bit of a crok, and as someone else said, I find it hard to think of it as anything other than fan-fiction. (Because, lets face it, most of the authors *are* fans .... ) However, I can see why the continuity thing would grate people. Suddenly Boba Fett *isn't* an ex-journeyman protector called Jaster somethingorother, but a clone of another Fett guy. Etc. etc. It is odd that Lucas sanctioned all this stuff only to ignire it. But then, it's even weirder to think that George, as the auteur of the SW Universe, should have to be constrained by what some other people wrote about his own creations ....

Really, he should have waited until all six films had been made before letting anyone else write stuff, or he should have put harsher constraints on what the authors could and couldn't write about.

But, in the end, it's just a bunch of a-grade B movies, right? let's not take it too seriously. (But i concur ... the Jedi Starfighter should hae had a Hyperspace ring rather than the stupid "attack mode" thing. WTF? For a *really* cool toy, get the Slave I. It's beautiful .....)

(sigh ....) Back to work

Lawrence

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.