main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hawaii AOTC reviews

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Ewaeagle, May 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ikeshawngrl

ikeshawngrl Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    JJIB

Sorry but I don't see Padme as the type of person who would give up her child (Luke) to Obi-Wan just because he's considered an old friend, unless absolutely necessary. So hopefully, in ep III, we will see something extreme happen, like we all know will.

As far as living with Bail Organa, OMG, Hell no, not in a romantic sense, please don't even go there!!!! ;)

2. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    GL said ep3 was going to be extremely dark and very, very sad. I surmise this is because Padme will have to give up her children for their safety and/or she has died, so the issue of keeping them safe falls on Obi-Wan to decide. Remember, in ESB, Yoda does say, there is another. so, maybe it isn't Obi-Wan who sends the twins to different homes; maybe it's Yoda. Then, of course, Anakin turns to the dark side, and all hades hits the fan. :eek:

3. JarJarIsBoba

JarJarIsBoba Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Lucas had this story written from like 30 years ago around 1972 before making SW ,ESB, and ROTJ. It was part of Lucas' plan from the beginning to reveal to the audience the fact that Darth Vader was Luke's father.

Yes, it was part of Lucas' original plan to make Darth Vader Luke's father. But after the success of the first one, which he didn't really anticipate, he had second thoughts about making Vader Luke's father. When making ESB, he wondered if audiences would accept Vader as Anakin Skywalker. Or he thought he may be alienating his whole audience who were led to believe Vader was all bad. During the taping of the scene when Vader confronts Luke after he cut off his hand, the line said on set by Vader was something like "Obi-Wan is your father." Not even the cast and crew had any idea that Vader was going to be Luke's father. And Lucas made the final decision when James Earl Jones voiced the final Vader track. In the end, Lucas went with his gut feeling that his original story was best. :)

Though Lucas had the script written, it was much too long, so he decided he would divide the storyline. He wanted to start from TPM, but Fox wouldn't hear of it. They wanted him to begin with the first story of the OT. His success with Star Wars made him a rich man, and therefore he was able to fund the other movies himself, without any interference from Fox. That is what he has been doing also for TPM, and now AOTC.

Actually, Lucas made Ep 4-6 because technology wasn't at the point where he COULD make 1-3. So I'm guessing that the pod racing and Jar Jar were some of the things that he wanted to do but couldn't because visual effects were really archaic.

I don't think Fox ever became creatively involved in the making of SW. In fact, Lucas took a pay cut from Fox in exchange for complete control of licensing. More than the profits from tickets, Lucas has made MOST of his money from licensing. Lucas is the consummate businessman.

I have the anotated screenplay of the OT at home. I'll post some quotes as soon as I can just to back up what I've posted here.

4. JarJarIsBoba

Sep 24, 2000
    From Star Wars: The Anotated Screenplays...

George Lucas: "I didn't discuss the notion of Vader being Luke's father with Leigh Brackett. At that point I wasn't sure if I was going to include it in that script or reveal it in the third episode (ROTJ)."

GL: "I contemplated for a while whether or not I was going to reveal that Vader was Luke's father in the second film. I was afraid the scene when Vader says, 'I am your father' and then cuts off his son's arm might be too intense. That is a pretty intense moment and basically a castration scene. I also asked people I knew how they felt about ending the film that way, and most opinions were that it was okay, that it wouldn't be detrimental to anyone. But I conceived the scene so that you would not know if Vader was lying or telling the truth, so the audience could walk away saying, 'He is a bad guy, he lied.' You have to have an escape hatch for kids psychologically so they can deny it."

Irvin Kershner (director of ESB): "The actor who played Vader did not know that Luke was his son; when we did the scene, the only one who knew was Mark, and I told him right before we shot it. We didn't want anybody to know, so I had the page with the real dialogue put away. So the actor playing Vader was saying other words; I gave him other words. He was saying something totally different, which of course we replaced later."

5. ikeshawngrl

ikeshawngrl Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    Hey JJIB!

Thanks for the clarification. I watched A&E's Biography on GL, so that's how I got my info. :)

6. JarJarIsBoba

Sep 24, 2000
    I would TOTALLY recommend getting the Anotated Screenplay. It's chock full of info. Just about the best SW book out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.