main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Tickets Going on Sale during Convention?!?!

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by mgmcpa, Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    :(

This is so typical.

2. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Ummmm, if we can find a computer at C2, maybe we can go line to Fandango.com ;) to preorder at Indianapolis!

3. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    This just doesn't make any sense. We've heard that LFL has been trying to keep the hype down as much as possible, but I never thought they would go to the complete opposite end of the spectrum, even going so far as to lose millions by competing with another blockbuster and losing the free publicity many of the fan line events will garner them.

Luckily, I have people in my line here who can get them, and even if they sell them on Fan DANG! we'll get our tickets first.

I just don't get it. I can see them screwing the fans if they stood to benefit from it. There are a thousand and one reasons why they shouldn't/wouldn't do it this weekend, and 0 reasons why they would.

4. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Rick McCallum is getting an earful from me, you betcha!!! :mad:
    I don't care if he's personally responsible, or it's LucasFilm, or it's 20th Century Fox! I don't care. Rick is getting his hairly little ear full of my vitriolic HATE!!!!!!! :mad:

5. Croda

Croda Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2002
    Of course it's possible that AMC is full of poodoo. I seem to remember a lot of rumours before TPM that didn't pan (and scan?) out. And the story on TFN main page is not OFFICIAL. They're just relaying what they heard. Not saying it isn't going to happen but I'd say it's unlikely or we'd have heard about theatres other than AMC. Come to think of it, it's only AMC you ever hear about on TFN. And AMC might be making a claim they can't back up. I'd call some of the other theatre chains in town if I were you and see what they say (I'm in Indy thank The Force).

Croda

"The force is strong with this one."

6. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Its at least official in columbus,ohio.Some will have the tics friday and have announced they will and some have not even been given the ok to get the film.Can we say screwed up. I'm going fri to Indy,but I will be bringing my laptop and praying they will let you buy them over the net.PEACE Ewen

7. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    We've also heard it from our contact at Carmike Cinemas as well as an LFL publicity rep (several weeks ago).

"This is so typical."
    I have to say I disagree. This is what is so confusing about this. LFL has been very generous to the fans in the past, and it seems strange that they would change now, especially since they will lose so much and gain nothing.

I doubt Fandango will be able to take the heat from the thousands of fans getting their tickets. Here in Nashville, we usually refer to fandango as Fan DANG because of the problems people have with it. Every time I got to see a movie someone boos at the Fandango commercial. Apparently the fandango tickets or reservations seldom work at the theatres around here.

Luckily, Carmike cinemas will stop on-line sales until after our core group gets its tickets, and I have people who will get mine for me.

If I were in McCallum's position, I would cancel my appearance at SWC2. The core fans will be at SWC2, they will have spent THOUSANDS just to get there, and this is how they thank us. Rick isn't exactly everyone's favorite person, and SWC2 attendees stand to get screwed more than anyone else. When the question comes up and he gives the wrong answer, or no answer at all, I would not be surprised if the group of already bitter fans turns into an angry mob.

I'm still hoping that all this is is a rumor that got out of hand. A few weeks back we spoke to a rep at LFL and they said that they were thinking about doing ticket sales 2 weeks in advance. Perhaps this trickled down to the theatres as a rumor and after it had been told so many times some folks at the lower levels of the theatre chains thought it was fact. But as much as I hate to admit it, it's a pretty unlikely scenario. But then again, so is doing tix on May 3rd.

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Jedi Toren, I didn't mean it was typical that LFL would deliberately do anything to screw over the fans. I just meant it in a sort of "Well, that's my dumb luck..." sort of way. It's typical of my bad luck that tickets might go on sale when I plan on being out of town. That's all.
    :)

9. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    Oh okay.

Just got word from a friend at the local theatre. They got a message from Carmike corperate telling them to start selling tickets tomorrow.

10. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I talked to the theatre in columbus who says that you can not line up until 2:30 thusrday afternoon and they HAVE the tickets which will go on sale at 10:00A.M fri May 3rd.This came from the theatre and they are already advising people that they can not line up until the specific time.PEACE Ewen

11. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    DarthBrian's anger update:
    03:24PM PST - DarthBrian's anger has begun to level off at 253% of normal levels. Early projections point towards anger levels beginning their descent towards normal levels at approximately 09:10AM PST when his flight departs for Indianapolis.

Have a safe day. [face_plain]

12. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Have a good flight DarthBrian and if I see anyone with steam rising from their head,I'll know its you and you weren't able to get your anger under control.I have gotten so upset about the tickets,I have a headache and have stalled on packing.I am leaving tomorrow.HAVE FUN ALL!!!!!PEACE Ewen

13. drawmarkee

drawmarkee Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2002
    Having read all the posts in this thread, this is my take:

Lucasfilm is definately taking a different approach this time around. From what I've read in the media and observed in the city it appears that LFL is maintaining a much lower key when it comes to promoting the film than they created in 1999. They also seem to be reaching out to a broader base of fans. Now that I've thought it through, I think it's a great business strategy which will result in a fun experience appealing to every level of Star Wars fandom.

In 1999 LFL may have observed, among other things, that the "hardcore fans" -- like those sleeping in the streets to wait for Star Wars tickets -- received a majority of the mainstream media's attention. Those media outlets are where the rest of their potential audience goes for Star Wars info. Of course, we all know how the media reported the story, before and after May 19th ... more on that in a moment.

You can bet there will be media coverage at Celebration II, and LFL may even have a little control over some of it. That doesn't mean people won't yell and moan about the whole ticket issue, and it certainly doesn't mean the media won't focus on THAT instead of how much fun we're all having. If they do, I urge you to remember that these are the same reporters who write all those terribly negative articles we've read in the last three years.

It could even be said -- if LFL is indeed trying to take the focus off the ticket sales in order to direct it toward opening day itself -- that it's not the fault of the hardcore fans and the way they express themselves, but of the negatively-inclined media outlets who love to hate Lucas and his fans. Think about THAT.

The most hardcore fans in the world will be living it up in a Star Wars multimedia playground on May 3rd. Everyone will get their tickets anyway, of course, and start planning for the REAL campout. Yes, we'll all line up on opening day. I think it will be a more comfortable and fun setting, and with a more exciting payoff: ACTUALLY SEEING THE MOVIE. The lineup becomes a more accessible event, which brings a more diverse audience. And that can only be good for fandom as a whole.

Lucas and his companies are trying to make Star Wars fun again. It's working on me. :)

Hope this post finds you all well. Have fun this weekend, and I'll see you there!

Greg

14. drawmarkee

Jan 10, 2002
    > "If I were in McCallum's position, I would cancel my appearance at SWC2."

You have to be kidding! How would that be better for the fans?

I hope whoever decides to stand up during McCallum's appearance to complain gets an earful from RICK. Something along the lines of: "75 bucks for all this <gestures to the convention all around us>, and you're still angry? Give me a break, guys..."

15. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    I find it hard to believe that LFL won't make some kind of announcement about exactly WHEN tickets will go on sale. They did for Episode I, so why not this time around? I'm not panicking yet.

16. Geekzapoppin

Geekzapoppin Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 1999
    You know, I love the films too, but a lot of people here need to calm down and put things into perspective. It's only a movie. It'll be playing for a while. You've waited this long to see it; a couple of days longer won't kill you. Take a deep breath and RELAX!

17. drawmarkee

Jan 10, 2002
    > I find it hard to believe that LFL won't
    > make some kind of announcement about
    > exactly WHEN tickets will go on sale...

I really think that they're trying a different marketing approach, one which intentionally draws attention away from the sale of tickets and puts the focus on the film itself and the fan experience (see my above post).

Besides the lack of official "sale dates", you'll notice that some theaters are selling the 3rd, some the 4th, some in a week, some on opening day ... this is a clever move. I hope the conventioneers don't get too upset, especially since they are fortunate enough to attend such a fun event while others stay home and read about it on the net. The loudest protestors should try, as others here have said, to gain some perspective.

18. JediLupan

JediLupan Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2002
    AMC theatres will start selling tickets May 3 at 9am at all locations. You can also purchase tickets at www.movieticket.com or by calling your local amc's movie line. This only concerns AMC theatres.

19. Theman357

Theman357 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2002
    Well, I just contacted a local theater here in Northern Kentucky and they are definitely selling tickets tomorrow for AOTC. There were very polite, so either the woman was really good at her job or they haven't gotten a lot of questions about it yet. (i.e. she wasn't annoyed at my call.)

Luckily (in one sense, cruddy in that Friday is the best day of CII) I only have passes for Saturday and Sunday for Celebration II, so I'm going to try to buy tickets tomorrow. Unfortunately, since they didn't announce it in advance, I couldn't take off work, so I can't wait in line (if one forms tonight). I just have to hope that the lack of advertising means they'll have lots of tickets available when I arrive tomorrow and I won't have to wait in a huge line that guarantees no opening night tickets.

What makes this crazy is that I'm sure there showing a midnight Spiderman premiere, which means if there is a line then parking will be a mess as will attending the movie and the line wait. And it's pouring down rain today too. man i was this was more coordinated than it was. It kind of hacks me off.

My buddy who works at another theater in town told me he heard that not all theaters are selling tomorrow. Some theaters won't find out until today that they're getting the movie and haven't scheduled or announced tickets sales for tomorrow, which means I think some theaters will sell later than others. This is definitely different.

20. JediLupan

JediLupan Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2002
    Don't forget you can by your tickets online at movietickets.com at 9am when they go on sale for AMC :)

21. AlderaanOnline

AlderaanOnline Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    I spoke to the manager at my local Cinemark theatre today in west central Ohio.

They are NOT selling tickets tomorrow. It will be later next week at the earliest.

22. ObiWanJane

Oct 19, 1999
    People have been complaining and blaming LFL. It's not their fault, folks!

Remember how LFL wanted to play-down the hype this time around? One way they figured they could do that is NOT to control how/when tickets go on sale (like they did last time). So... that's exactly what they're doing. They're letting individual theatres and theatre chains decide how they want to handle it.

Yes, it's sort of a pain for people who will be out of town. But with so many theatres offering online & phone ticket sales, your chances of getting tickets are pretty good.

Personally, I plan to buy tickets first thing today at a theatre I know will be showing it. If I can get tickets for a theatre a little closer to me, great. I can always sell the other tickets to a desperate soul (and you know someone will want 'em).

23. ObiWanJane

Oct 19, 1999
    I have my tickets! Whoo hoo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.