main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC vs NJO

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Albe-won_kenobi, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albe-won_kenobi

Albe-won_kenobi Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2001
    In the New Jedi Order, Luke keeps trying to restrain the Jedi from going on the offensive against the Vong, but in AOTC, we literally see the Jedi LEADING a massive army to crush the Separatists. I know that we have the fictional explanation that Luke doesn't know what went on then because of the Jedi purge, and the real-life explanation that George Lucas is not in control of what goes on in the NJO, but the contrast just seems ridiculous. Maybe Kyp has the right idea.

2. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    In DW, Luke comes to that conclusion. More or less, anyway. :)

3. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    It's all about the issue of agression. All Luke had to go on to argue againest the dozen becoming literal vigilante's was on single statement made by Yoda.

Obviously judging by AOTC that was not Yoda's intent when he was instructing Luke. :D

<[-]> Saber

4. lla-reuqnoc-skowe

lla-reuqnoc-skowe Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2003
    I just think Luke is confused.

5. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    I agree with skowe

6. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    I think Luke, having brushed the Dark Side, is trying to be overly cautious he doesn't screw up again, hence his hesitation. We have no knowledge of Yoda having a dark history that is constantly in the back of his mind. *shrugs* That's the only logical explanation I could come up with.

~Inyri

7. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I agree to a degree with Inyri, I think that up until DW Luke feels that he's carrying the burden of every Jedi in the Galaxy on his shoulders. Whether they turn to the Dark Side or not is his responsibility. In DW he comes to realisation that you can guide someone only so far before they cannot be your responsibility any longer. It's kind of symbolised in the promotion of the new wave of Jedi Knights....their bonds are removed and they're turned loose.

Lots of the NJO is about the balance between agression and defence though, especially considering the very nature and definition of the Force is being changed by the likes of Vergere. To her, aggression isn't a bad thing and it can be used to fuel positive outcomes. The point being that when no other option is available, the Jedi will fight to the death. Which isn't really such a stretch from the battlefield of Geonosis in AotC...the Jedi had their backs to the wall and they meant not to die. The only way to accomplish that was to fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.