main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I know there are at least a few of us here, the intrepid members of the mac community. I've started this thread to discuss macs in general and ours in particular. This year has been a pretty big one, as the MacBook Pros and MacBooks have come out, along with the new Mac Mini. This is the first year that Intel processors have been used in macs, and they've gotten good reviews from experts and users alike. Later this year, the last of the Mac family will be switched over, when the PowerMacs get Intel processors.

So, here's a place to discuss macs, related software, OS X, accessories, stories and so on :). There may just be 2-3% of us in the computing world, but that's okay. The best of anything is like that sometimes.

Also, if anyone's thinking about getting a mac or switching over, step on up and ask about it. I'm sure there'll be plenty of good advice here, and we can point you to various mac sites for more information if you need it.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I used to be a Mac owner and used them quite a bit in my last job. But, I like to play PC games so made the switch many years ago. A Mac is a great computer, if you don't want to play games.

3. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Agree 100%. I really don't like playing computer games, so to me, my iBook is nirvana. I'm confident in saying I will never own a PC again.

4. Kagaromaru

Kagaromaru Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2006
    I used to have a mac in the 90's. and I loved it too. but my little brother decided he liked computer games too much and begged our mother for a PC... :(

5. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I just got one of the new MacBooks. They're pretty fantastic. I've never owned anything but a Mac and I like them so much better than PCs.

6. DK_Force85

DK_Force85 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2006
    Not necessarily. I want to play games and use a Mac. It just depends on what games you want to play. Also, there's nothing wrong with owning a Mac and a PC.

7. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I'm going on a few months now with my Mac Mini. I don't have very many complaints. I have the Intel Mac, so sometimes things like video on cnn.com won't play for me, but I figure it'll only be a matter of time before mplayer updates their stuff for the Intel macs. I also seem to sometimes have problems scrolling down all the way on certain pages. Does anybody else notice this?

Other than a little weirdness, I have nothing to complain about. I have my music, my movies, and even a word processing program. That's about all I need with a computer.

Jae O:)

8. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    This is kind of a sticky one for me because I'm forced to use both a PC and a Mac every day for video work. However, could I transfer everything over to the Mac I surely would. I've been using them for probably about 6 years or so and have had maybe one or two complaints. In that time I've gone through so many PC troubles I can't list them all. :p

So yeah, I'm a die-hard Mac user. Can't beat the performance for video editing/digital imaging. :-B

9. That_Jedi_Guy

That_Jedi_Guy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2005
    I own a PC but would really like to use a mac instead. I'm hoping I'll get one in about a year before I go off to college. They are kind of high priced though compared to a PC.

10. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I've never owned a PC and never will.
    The new black MacBook with dual boot software is the closest I plan to come and I figure I'll only ever be using the Windows side for games anyway.

11. omar_r786

omar_r786 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2004
    I bought a MacBook last week and it died.

12. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    [face_single_tear]

13. Jon_Goodfellow

Jon_Goodfellow Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2006
    Mac computers are highly HIGHLY underrated. As soon as I get the money together, I'll be getting a MacBook Pro with the Parallels software.

Speaking of which... has anyone used this yet? I know Apple has its own dual-boot application that acts as pretty much any dual boot system. I was wondering if anyone has used the Parallels version yet. If so, have you run into any problems having windows and OS-X running side-by-side?

Go n-ithe an cat thú, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

14. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I have the Intel Mac, so sometimes things like video on cnn.com won't play for me

I believe that's a web browser thing (Safari, in this case). Microsoft and many sites don't want you using anything but IE to view their stuff.

I also seem to sometimes have problems scrolling down all the way on certain pages. Does anybody else notice this?

haven't heard of that before. Because of my trackpad, I have a very easy time scrolling.

They are kind of high priced though compared to a PC.

not when you compare each mac to comparably equipped PCs, actually.

I bought a MacBook last week and it died.

I trust you were given a new one to replace it, assuming it wasn't your fault.

Brett: What do you think of the black MacBook?

15. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    I think it's lurve ;)

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Look at you two! [face_love]

17. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    I only have an older iBook right now :( but I'm planning on purchasing a MacBook as soon as I have enough money.

As for Parallels vs. Boot Camp?

Get Parallels if you just use one or two Windows apps that are CPU-intensive. If you're looking to play games or use lots of programs, use Boot Camp, because it has full support for graphics cards (Parallels is an emulator ? can't emulate a card so therefore it has horrible GPU performance).

I'm looking forward to the replacement for the Power Mac? I believe they're going to use Woodcrest in it (probably in a quad-core config much like the current Power Mac).

KT

18. Mitt

Mitt Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 10, 1999
    I'm saving up my money now to get my first comp and it will be a mac. I'm getting conflicting views on what kind to get though. Maybe you all can help.

I need a computer for internet stuff, duh.
    I need it for editing photos.
    I need it for my Ipod.
    I need it for playing Roller Coaster Tycoon, which there is a Mac version of the 3rd edition. I never heard not having comp games on the Mac, but I'm not a huge comp gamer.
    I need it for minor word processing.

My ex showed me this whole set up to get that was like a dual core Mac thing that was going to be around 5,000 but his brother said I should just get a Mac Mini and showed me where to buy all the extras like a screen and such.

If I go for the Mac mini is a good chance that I could buy a cheap enough screen(Like $200) at my local Mac store?

Is the Mac Mini the cheapest(price wise) Mac out there to get?

19. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    I wasn't a big Mac fan till I bought an iPod, and started using a Mac sometimes. Now I plan on buying a MacBook. Also since I started using OS X Tiger, I find XP obsolete, and Vista is only catching up to OS X Tiger.

I like all the Mac programs but Saffari so I use FireFox for Brosing on Macs.

20. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Mitt: An Intel-chip Mac Mini will sort you out. You probably don't even need a Mac-specific monitor, just grab the cheapest LCD flat panel you can find and you'll be off. You can even download free Beta versions of the Boot Camp software atm.

Just be aware that while it's a small computer it's not a laptop, it's definatley a desktop that isn't mobile. So if you want something you can easily relocate, I'd suggest you get the latest low-end basic MacBook.

21. Mitt

Mitt Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 10, 1999
    I know I don't need a Mac-specific monitor, but I don't wanna have to order the Mac from one place and the screen from another and the mouse from another and the speakers from yet another.....

Um, whats Boot Camp software, why do I need/want it?

I don't need a laptop really, it would be fun to have one of course, but I'd want one with a big screen, like a 17 incher. So I'll get one if I come into money but since that may not happen, I am settled on a desk top.

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't need a laptop really, it would be fun to have one of course, but I'd want one with a big screen, like a 17 incher. So I'll get one if I come into money but since that may not happen, I am settled on a desk top.

Have you thought about an iMac? The cheapest ones are $1299, and have 17 inch screens. Very nice computers.

I know I don't need a Mac-specific monitor, but I don't wanna have to order the Mac from one place and the screen from another and the mouse from another and the speakers from yet another.....

you should be able to use most anything (USB compatible) that you have lying around right now. You can always order all of it from Apple online, though.

23. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Macbook Pro, 2GHz, 2GB RAM. :D

It is amazing.

24. Mitt

Mitt Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 10, 1999
    Hmmm I didn't know the iMacs were so cheap. I'll have to look into that, thanks.

Yeah I don't really have any monitors lying around, except the one I'm using as a coffee table, oh wait theres the pair I am using for book ends, and the one thats now part of the kitchen, as a cutting board for veggies. The one I use now as a monitor isn't mine, hench the need to buy me own.

25. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    You'll need the Boot Camp software to run any PC software, like any version of Rollercoaster Tycoon higher than version 3 ;)

New Mac screens will be way more expensive than other generic screens and if price is an issue I'd suggest you go to a bit of effort to save yourself some money. I figure you could probably get a Mac Mini with keyboard/mouse/non-Mac screen for about AU$1200 (about US$960?) The only screens I think Mac actually sell new these days are the big-arse cinema displays starting at about AU$1300. The other option is that you go for an older second-hand Mac screen...but that kind of defeats the purpose of getting yourself everything in one place, I guess.