main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not a Mac person and I'm just reading this thread because wocky's complaints are amusing me, but yeah, a newer OS running slower on older hardware? Shocking indeed.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Windows 8 boots up a lot faster on my old laptop than Windows 7 or XP ever did.

Just sayin'. :p

And I'll leave it at that, lest KW knife me or something. :p

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Windows 7 loaded faster for me than XP did, too.

Also, where are you getting that this is old hardware, Even?

4. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I wasn't referring to your Mac.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    On a clean install? End-of-life Windows gets incredibly bloated. My Windows 7 now takes a minute longer to boot up than I did upon installing.

Also Windows 7 to XP was a bigger step change than 10.5 to 10.4, I imagine.

6. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I bought my laptop a few weeks before Lion came out! It shouldn't be running THAT slowly!

7. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    What is a clean install? I used to have Windows XP on it then I downloaded 7. It worked faster after that.

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    An install on a new drive, rather than an upgrade from an earlier operating system version.

9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I saw the term "fondle slab" today referring to the tablet sector. Hopefully this one makes it into Webster's.

10. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Oh, well then no. This was definitely a dirty install.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's called an upgrade, not a dirty install. :p

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Wocky, you perv.

13. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Apple market value hits $500 billion, where few have gone

To think I have been wasting my time investing in energy all these years. iPad 3 and iPad tv should keep them rolling along. But all good things come to an end. This all ends at some point with giant EU and U.S. antitrust suits. Hopefully that's a few years away though.

14. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    So I am thinking of jailbreaking my iPhone again. Anyone else have a jailbroken phone? What stuff are you doing with it? I mainly want it for the wifi hotspot.

15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    The new iPad came out, many of the features experts were expecting, though the design stays essentially the same. Biggest disappointment from my perspective: memory sizes stay the same. 16GB is already microscopically small for the iPad 2.

16. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    3G toggle back!

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Surely there will be 32 & 64GB versions?...

On first analysis - Looks like Apple did something right, and actually made a new tablet rather than just adding bits to the old model as they did with iPad 2 (or iPad 1.5 as it should have been).

Big bonus is that it's quad-core, which makes it hugely powerful and capable of running HD stuff on the new screen they clearly spent a lot of effort on. They also weren't afraid to make it heavier & thicker than the previous model. The camera also seems to be decent, unlike iPad 2's terrible attempts.

What I haven't seen mentioned is what the RAM will be. The big failure in iPad 2 was that it was dual-core but then for some mad reason Apple decided only on 512MB of Ram while other tablets had 1GB to match up to the power of the new processors. This had serious bottleneck problems in trying to run high-end stuff with low RAM power, which was a problem Apple didn't really need and could easily have avoided.
    I would hope this new iPAd would have at least 1GB or 2GB of RAM minimum, although 4GB would be better.

It will be intetesting to see what the rivals do now to take on this serious step-up in the market. iPad 2 got largely outdone by numerous tablets, but those are now obsolete compared to the new iPad.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
  19. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Interesting (form em, anyway) factoid about iOS vs. the original Macintosh

20. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Recently got an iPhone 4 8GB as an upgrade (in black, naturally). So much better than my 3GS, which had gotten very slow and clunky, especially since the iOS5 update.

I think I prefer the aesthetics of the iPhone 4 as well, which surprises me. I liked the curves of the 3GS, but this feels more...robust.

21. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I love my 4S, but I am longing for the return of the curves for the 5*.

*or whatever they decide to call it.

22. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I just hope it's nothing like that mock-up design that looked like the Magic Mouse. God that was hideous.

23. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    so, unveiling of the 5 next week?

i daresay i won't be getting one. my contract still has 6 months to run and by that point i'll probably just wait for the 5S or 6 or whatever the next one is on the conveyer belt.

24. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    so, unveiling of the 5 next week?

i daresay i won't be getting one. my contract still has 6 months to run and by that point i'll probably just wait for the 5S or 6 or whatever the next one is on the conveyer belt.

25. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    although my gf will probably get one as her contract's been up for awhile and this will be most dfifficult to bear.