main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Art Direction for the new trilogy- what do you want to see?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Han Burgundy, Jan 28, 2013.

?

What do you want the new trilogy to look like?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2014.
  1. Bring it back to the iconic look of the OT

31.3%
  2. Keep it close to the PT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'd like something that's a pretty even mix of both

31.3%
  4. None of those-let JJ and the art team create something totally new and surprising!

37.5%
  1. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Before 1999, we all thought we knew what Star Wars looked like. Worn looking gray ships blasting at each other in the cold vacuum of space, seedy brown cantinas where shady deals were made inside stained walls. Everything was used, dirty, and blocky, and we were totally comfortable with it.

For better or for worse, The Phantom Menace changed everything. Gone was the cold, rugged military aesthetic we had fallen in love with, replaced with sweeping, romantic vistas and luscious colors. The aliens were goofier, the ships were rounder and sleeker, and, most unlike its predecessors, everything looked new.

14 years later, most Star Wars media reflects the design ethic of both, as though the PT art direction has, over time, melded with the OT to create one mass that is "Star Wars". And I think most of us are comfortable with the way Star Wars generally looks right now.

Which is why the new trilogy has the opportunity to once again throw us a visual curveball.

I'm not saying they should. In fact, I would be thrilled if the new films looked similar to, say this trailer from Star Wars: The Old Republic:

The trailer, done by the awesome Blur studios, successfully blends the look of the two trilogies into something that feels comfortably "Star Wars". I think this would be a great visual starting point for the new trilogy.

Do you want something that feels "comfortably Star Wars" or do you want something totally new?

Episode Swag likes this.
  2. Pimpsy

Pimpsy Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    I want something totally new. Something gritty but clean, encompassing what we know as star wars but reinventing it. Hopefully the new blood guiding the franchise can pull this off instead of emulating what we have already seen.

3. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    Something that looks like a natural progression from the OT with some new stuff brought in. I want X-Wings & TIE-fighters/TIE-variants though for sure.

4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I generally don't understand why people say this. The only parts of the OT that looked "used" were the interior of the Millennium Falcon and the Tatooine scenes. The Death Star (I and II) interiors and Cloud City all looked new and shiny. In the PT, Tatooine looks just as lived-in as it does in the OT; most other parts looked old but well-maintained (e.g, Coruscant and Theed) or just old (Geonosis, Mustafar, Utapau). Really only Kamino and the Queen's ship comes to mind as something "shiny."

5. Pimpsy

Pimpsy Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    I think its all the excessive green screens and CGI in the PT that makes it seem more 'clean'

gregvader123 likes this.
  6. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm glad to see that so far the majority of the votes are for "I'd like something that's a pretty even mix of both"

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  7. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Agreed. Cloud City was clearly the design predecessor to Coruscant (with Cloud cars looking like that belong on Naboo).

Frankly, we just never saw much of the galaxy in the OT. It was all frontlines of the war.

Not to mention that podracers are a wonderful example of the OT style of ship design, right down to being covered in "greeblies."

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  8. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013
    It could be that, yeah. The CG sets in the PT have a lot less texture and fidelity than real sets, and I think that kind of forces everything to look shiner. But regardless of the reason, there is still a major difference between the look of the PT and OT

9. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Most environments in the PT are miniatures.

FRAGWAGON and LawJedi like this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I hope the art directors use a series of rough pencil sketches, practical and digital paintings, and possibly models, to do their designs of the new film's characters and settings, which we will never see most of...

Count Yubnub and LawJedi like this.
  11. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    And a ton of OT sets are just rotoscoped with matte paintings.
    [​IMG]

OMG SO STERILE!!!!11

Count Yubnub likes this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Is that lens flare around the border of that pic? I hate that movie, now...

LawJedi and Count Yubnub like this.
  13. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013

14. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I say a mixture of the OT and new stuff. Keep the overall look of the originals while showing us new stuff to excite us :)

15. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Pencil sketches will be where it's at. None of that 3D and 2D nonsense; 1D represents the true cutting-edge of modern filmmaking!

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Just to make sure you have clarity on this... they didn't blow up an actual Death Star in the atmosphere to get those shots for the OT.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  17. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    No. The interior of Mustafar was a set; the interior Geonosis was a miniature; the interiors of Coruscant were both.

18. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    OMG WTF SO FAKE, JUST BUILD A REAL SET!!!!11!!!!

[​IMG]

Count Yubnub likes this.
  19. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    INORITE!!!????!?!

[​IMG]

LawJedi likes this.
  20. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I say they should do a mix of the two, that old republic trailer looked sick!

21. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Yes, Lando, yes! Walk into that matte painting! No one will notice! Because of TEH GRITTINESSS!!!!1

ezekiel22x and Count Yubnub like this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    What the... those lazy fools couldn't be bothered to even use real trees on set for this...?
    [​IMG]

phatdude1138 likes this.
  23. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    As usual people have no clue what is real and what is fake. Says to me ILM has earned their reputation.

Podrace arena, practical set composited. Mustafar, big freaking models. The lava was real flowing liquid. Actual lava flow and on location volcano filming. Real palaces in Spain and Italy for all the "shiny royal Naboo stuff". Giant practical podrace engine models.

phatdude1138 and Count Yubnub like this.
  24. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013
    Take a look at those matte paintings. They all look relatively realistic in the finished film. They all have a sense of texture. I for one didn't even realize the bridge on the executor wasn't a full set until I saw the Blu ray special features.

Now contrast it with this :

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/b/bf/Chancellors_Suite.jpg

Or this

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/e/eb/E2coru38.jpg

If you want to chalk it up to poorly aged CGI, fine. But don't pretend there isn't a difference.

Also, I should mention that I was never even complaining about the cgi, or the "clean" look, any of that. I was simply observing that there was a difference. I'm no prequel hater, so relax.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    They literally had Harrison Ford fly a spacecraft through an asteroid field.

phatdude1138 and FRAGWAGON like this.