main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Asimov's, etc] The SF&F Magazines Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Jabba-wocky, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Hey,

I don't know about anyone else, but I subscribe to Asimov's, and pick up SF&F magazine every once in awhile. For those that don't know, these (and others) are the classic publications of the science fiction/fantasy universe. It's great because they publish everything from short stories to novellas. There's a good mix of strong pieces from old, established authors and premieres from completely new faces. Overall, they provide very high quality, but relatively short (and therefore easier to read) stories. It's great if you don't have as much time as you'd like.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had these. We can use this thread to discuss/review stories that come in any of these magazines. Feel free to start. I just got my March issue of Asimov's today, so I'll be tackling that this weekend. Hopefully the thread will take off by then . . .

2. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I recently discovered these and picked up some issues of Analog, Asimov's and Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine. I've read an Asimov's and considered it good, but not great. There were several strong stories, but a few long dogs published by Big Names, without consideration to the plot. The lesser-known authors had better stories.

I recommend these magazine to any short story sci-fi/fantasy writer out there, despite the above. They show what editors are looking for and can be a great launching pad for a career.

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I'd been subscribing for several years and have a nice library built up. Unfortunently, I don't subscribe any more, and I'm missing issues while I'm out of the US.

Great magazine.

4. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Upping to see if anyone besides me reads this.

Really, this month's edition was stellar. I was blown away by a lot of the stories. "A Flight of Numbers Fantastique Strange" was really compelling and mentally engaging, while "Ninth Part of Desire" and "Life on the Preservation" were really emotionally stirring (the former moreso). Ironically, I thought the lead/cover story was the weakest of all.

Thoughts? What were some of you guys favorites? Any you disliked? General commentary?

Are there really that few people on the JCC that pick this up? I would encourage more of you to subscribe, it's so. It's a necessary fix for any true SF fan, in my opinion. Great for a quick, interesting read, if you want something quick to blow through.

5. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    There's not many people who've read it here, which is a huge shame. It's a great magazine with some stellar stories. I'll have to start picking it up again when I return home.

6. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I just started picking this magazine up but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

7. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    What are you waiting for? :p ;)

8. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Well, I read so many novels that when I have time to read I want to read the book instead of the short story. One of these days, though, I'll go through them. Plus the fact that I'll probably end up submitting a few to Asimov's.

9. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I've submitted some stories, but their review criteria is very tough and it's extremely hard to get into the industry.

10. EDKRIEG

EDKRIEG Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    I have a lifetime subscription to Fantasy and SF.Go get the June2006 issue which has an Alternate history story called Counterfactual.Really good.I try and look through the magazines for alternate history stories.Harry TurtleDove had one in May Analog(2006)-Scarlet Band an AH Sherlock Holmes story.Asimovs has a good record as well.Will write more later.

11. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    What? I've found people that actually enjoy these? It must be a miracle.

Anyway, EDKRIEG are the rest of the stories worthwhile? I'm not really into fantasy, but I'm going to be on that side of town, and I'll try to pick it up.

sidious618, I think in some way, most of us have that dream when we first hear about these things. I've never actually made any serious attempt, though. One day, I might try. But I'm just happy to be a reader ATM. Good luck with your stuff! And I agree with Trilobite, get to reading. If you look at my earlier post, you can see my recommendations for which stories are good. I'd start with either "9th Part of Desire" or "Life on the Preservation" retrospectively.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I gave Fantasy & Science Fiction a try with a year-long subscription that?s nearing its end, and I?m not renewing. It pretty much averaged out around one story per issue representative of a style and theme intertwining into an overall punch that hasn?t been seen before. Other than that, F&SF definitely suffers from relying too heavily on long-time contributors rather than taking the road of rawer talent, which definitely leads to a more mundane and mainstream experience rather than one that kicks you in the butt with subversive originality. Seemed like every piece they publish always comes back to vague hauntings (or plague, robotic sentience, etc.) set in present day, or dry ?poke-fun at the genre? type attempts at humor.

Their definition of genre is a very limited one, and I find it hard to believe no one?s submitting any steampunk, heroic, or magic realism that?s worth finding a home beyond the slush pile. And it also irked me to no avail that their film column always focuses on a piece that?s far from current. For instance, it was nice that the May issue offered a review of the film Serenity in a manner that would?ve been a great deal more timely at a time like ? oh, I don?t know ? when the film was actually released.

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Read Asimov's, they tend to have a lot of good things.

14. EDKRIEG

EDKRIEG Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    The Analog stories in May are halfway decent.Analog seems to have a serial for one issue or another.F%SF I partially disagree as Jan and Feb 2006 had a serial.If you can get the F&SF for July -2004 and 2005.Good issues.One has a patriotic theme-red white and blue and a future history based on the myth of George Washington.Also has a Jules Verne Story in the Civil war with a submarine.Cover shows the sub which looks a lot like the Nautilus.F&Sf is continuing the tradition of its founders in 1949.It tries to have a mix of fantasy, science fiction, and speculative fiction.Try some back issues.Analog two years ago had Joe Haldeman's novel serialized-Camouflage.These are afew suggestions, only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.