main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Bad aim?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darthbarracuda, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Why does everyone in Star Wars fire blasters by their waist or chest without even looking down the scope? I mean, no wonder they have such bad aim! They're not even firing correctly!

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    There's some cases of Rebel and Imperial troopers holding their guns up to their heads as though using sights, aren't there?

3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Didn't stop Stormtroopers from gunning down Rebels on the Tantive IV while shooting from the hip, or scoring incredible snap shots against Leia on Endor.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't blasters have far less recoil than guns? If so, might make it easier.

In some sci-fi settings, the gun is uplinked to the helmet- so you don't need to raise it to aim accurately.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Wait, there's blaster scopes?

I believe the Essential Guide to Warfare has stated this is true for clone trooper helmets, at least.

6. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Well by "scopes" I meant "sights". There's two little metal things that stick up for you to aim through

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So like what, there's a little camera on their blaster rifles that relays a video feed to their helmets? I don't see how that would be more practical than simply raising the weapon up to eye level and firing conventionally.

8. smuggler_vola

smuggler_vola Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2012
    Maybe it's just quicker. Takes more time to raise the blaster to eye level to fire than it would to just fire from the waist or chest. Even if it's just a few seconds, it's still faster.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Especially if there's a target marker- so all you have to do is get it pointed the right direction.

10. CommanderXGhost

CommanderXGhost Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2012
    Clone troopers in Revenge of the Sith (2005) and The Clone Wars CGI Television show seem to fire down the iron sights atleast. :\ Stormies from the original trilogy didn't because they sucked at armed conflict in the films. The Rebels were the good guys and were not supposed to be killed off as often I suppose.

11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    No, they're not bad shots when shooting at generic Rebels either.

Really, the whole "stormtroopers can't hit a thing" meme is pretty much just a myth. It's plot armor that makes them miss the main characters, just like any other movie.

ILNP likes this.
  12. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    They were told to miss so Luke could live, so her could be turned to the Dark Side.

Or plot armour, ya know?

13. CommanderXGhost

CommanderXGhost Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2012
    Well yeah, that's a given, I mean In the novels and comic books Storm troopers were decent shots so long as it was not a major character from the Starwars Saga (films) being shot at. (i.c. Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, etc.)

14. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    The stormtroopers seem to be good shots to me. Think about it:

On the Tantive IV, they has orders not to destroy any computers or droids, because they didn't know where the Death Star plans were at. When Artoo and Threepio walked out in the middle of battle, they were fired around, not destoyered.

On Death Star I, after Leia was broken out, a sensor was placed on the Falcon, so Tarkin and Vader decieded to let them go. The stromies were then ordered to herd Obi-Wan and company back to the ship and then (after sacrificing a few TIEs) just let go so the Empire could find the hidden rebel base.

Finally, on Cloud City, after Luke jumped away from Lord Vader, its plan as the ears on Yoda's head that the rebels were let go. Vader knew they would rescue Luke. The troopers were firing to miss Leia, Chewie and Lando (who were shotting to kill) and herding them to the Falcon. Don't you think the Empire could have encoded the lock on the door better so Artoo couldn't have picked it so easliy? Why wasn't there a guard around the ship (on the platform)? If they weren't to get off the city, why didn't the Empire just cut the fuel line? They were expected to leave the planet and catch Luke, but because some stupid Imperial put in Cloud City's computer the order to deactive the Falcon's hyperdrive and not left it a verbal order (worse off, put it with the order to change the security code on the locked door).

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I could see the TIEs being sacrificed- but I'm not as sure that the stormies were explicitly ordered not to kill Leia, Han and Luke (Vader didn't know exactly where Obi-Wan was- so he can't have ordered the stormtroopers to herd him).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.