main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Balticon 40 Planning Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jack_T_Chance, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Since the subject of a group outing to Balticon 40 was mentioned at the last 2 meetings, and is a planned topic of discussion for the next meeting, I figured it was time to start a thread about it, too! :)

So, besides myself, who else is planning to go to Balticon this year? :confused:

Also, the pre-registration has confused me greatly, and I'm hoping one of you can answer this question for me: How do I pre-register for Saturday ONLY? :confused:

I've looked all over the registration pages, and only one price is listed, which I'm assuming is for the whole weekend. [face_shame_on_you]

Lastly, I guess we should start figuring out what time we want to meet up and have a meeting. Anyone got any suggestions?

2. Midi-ChlorianLori

Midi-ChlorianLori Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2003
    I'll be at Balticon for the day Saturday. It appears that Balticon works like Farpoint and Shore Leave, and only allows preregistration for full weekend memberships. Single day memberships need to be purchased at the door.

It sounded at the meeting like most people were attending on the Saturday, so perhaps a Saturday afternoon or early evening meeting? Although we may need to wait a bit to pick a time, since they haven't put a schedule of events up on their website.

3. PlayzOboe

PlayzOboe Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    I might end up going, it's still kinda iffy right now

4. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    I plan to be there only on Saturday, there is a celeb I actually want to meet there. :)

5. TK813cricket

TK813cricket Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2004
    Joe and I will be there Saturday through sunday morning. I'm rather annoyed by the registration thing too- i wanted to go to the Masquerade, but not neccessarily the con. I'm still not sure what to do. But then, there's always the bar and the hot tub!
    [face_dancing]

6. dalearnold

dalearnold Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2005
    Balticon traditionally announces one-day rates one month before the convention and only sells one day memberships at the door. Actually before five years ago we did not announce the one day rates more than a week or two out from the con. Since you all were wondering the one-days this year are;

$25 Friday, $37 Saturday, $32 Sunday, $12 Monday.

Anyone with questions can email me directly at dale@balticon.org I might not notice questions to this board very quickly.

7. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    :D

8. Midi-ChlorianLori

Midi-ChlorianLori Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2003
    Thanks for the info, Dale!

9. Darth_Twilight

Darth_Twilight Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 14, 2005
    Unfortunately I'm still not able to go as I've already obligated myself to be out of town. Have fun and let me know how the costume contest goes :)

10. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I'm sure hoping to go!

11. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    I'm dragging Brandon with me so I'm pretty sure I won't be in costume or hanging in the bar for very long but if I happen to see everyone there I hope we can have dinner together or something. :)

12. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Just FYI, the hotel is all sold out supposedly.

Try the Courtyard Marriott - it's the overflow hotel at the same rate.

13. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    I will only be there for the day so no hotels for me. Trying to save my cash for Dragon Con.

14. PlayzOboe

PlayzOboe Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    I will not be going...I'm moving that weekend (Friday) and my parents will be out of town so I don't really have a place to crash anyway.

15. TK813cricket

TK813cricket Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2004
    We've had to cancel, so one room just opened up for Saturday night;)

16. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Our plans are a bit up in the air now - we have to stay with the Young Wards over Memorial Day weekend, so we may just be doing a day trip too. Ah well. At least the next weekend is Pirate Fest in Hampton....

17. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    It's starting to look like I can't go as well. If I'm going to be spending money at a con, it has to be D*C this year.

18. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Greetings, fellow C.O.W.s!

I am glad to report that part of the schedule for Balticon 40 has finally been announced! :D

I subscribed to the Balticon email newsletter awhile back, and I received this update from Dale Arnold earlier today:
    Now if they'd just post the rest of the schedule, we could go ahead and plan the GS meeting! ;)

19. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    the meeting with none of us there.... Sad, sad meeting....

But, thanks for the schedule - I am still determined to go at least for a day!!

20. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Well, call me "nobody", 'cause I plan to be there on Saturday! ;)

And I'm hoping to meet up with an acquaintance from another messageboard I go to. So, hopefully I'll still have fun. :)

21. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    So, what's the latest on Balticon? Is anyone still planning to go? Or am I flying this mission solo? :confused:

22. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    I'll probably be deciding just a few days before. I can't stay the whole weekend. Blame the war, I have to stay with my Young Wards.

23. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Well, I'm going regardless. So, if you're there, I'm sure I'll bump into you at some point. :)

24. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Unfortunately, Ken and I definitely cannot go, even for the day. Enjoy it extra for us!

25. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Balticon 40 was a WASTE OF TIME. The authors appearing were people whose works I haven't read, the panels I wanted to go to I couldn't enjoy because they were so packed it was standing room only, and I was counting on going to the dealer's room and finding the video dealers that are usually at Farpoint and Shore Leave. You know, the ones that have DVDs that aren't yet available in the US. ;)

Well, those dealers were NOT there, so I was NOT able to buy certain DVDs that I wanted, which really stinks, because buying said DVDs was one of the main reasons I went there! :(

Even worse is that I didn't get contact info from those video dealers when I was at Farpoint in February, and I don't want to wait until Shore Leave in July. So now I don't know what to do to get the DVDs I was hoping to have in my hands today. [face_worried]

All in all, a crap day. [face_frustrated]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.