main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Batman The Dark Knight Rises (Including Batman Begins & TDK) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Janurary rerelease for TDK

Why? If the DVD is supposed to be out in December, before Christmas one would assume, what good does this do? Sure seeing it on the big screen is great and all but in the end I'd rather spend $15-$25 on the DVD and get to see it whenever I want, not to mention it'll probably be loaded with extras. Personally, I don't TDK has a chance of winning any Oscars no matter how much praise it gets.

2. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    It's a great film to see in the theaters so I'll probably catch it one more time in January but I'm also really looking forward to the DVD.

3. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I thought that would be kinda obvious. The film is behind Titanic by roughly $100mil and running out of steam. Its a major boon to steal that top spot, something that hasn't been done yet in this age of epic blockbusters where box office records are set and broken weekly. To be the biggest domestic grossing film is major bragging rights in this day and age. But the film is running out of steam at the box office and it won't be long until its pulled for more recent films.

The holiday season is the second biggest time period for box office pull when families and children go to see all kinds of movies, not to mention its just before Oscar time when a lot of the more serious films make their run for gold. Granted it may not be in a position to win anything but its a time that people are thinking about movies and going to see them in large numbers. So positioning yourself for one more run at box office gold with a new season when movies are on people's mind makes sense.

Yes its silly when the DVD is published so soon before the re-release but as stated this is a film that begs to be seen on the big screen.

4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    The important thing to note there was they haven't greenlit a full "rerelease". They are taking only in IMAX...they did the same thing with AOTC 6 months after it was in "conventional" theaters.

It is purely a "refresh" of the film at nomination time, in the films best face (IMAX)...my bet would be if they chose to really do a "FULL" rerelease, and make 4000+ new prints, that the DVDs will be pushed back.

But if they only make a few dozen IMAX prints, then this can go forward as indicated...die hards can track it down, people who didn't catch it in the summer can find it in it's best format, and everyone else can watch it at home.

Considering this Christmas release schedule is sparse for big names (I think the only one I'm in on for sure is Bond)...this makes some marketing sense.

Meta-message is : "Hey movie fans...we know the christmas season stinks this year...so we brought you the best film of 2008 in every format you want...and we'll stock it up on trailers for all the movies that got pushed back to summer 2009."

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm glad they're doing that because I just haven't had the time or money to put into a IMAX trip but have really wanted to catch it in that format at least once, and I might be able to put together the spare change by January.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Who wants to bet Paramount is negotiating to put the Star Trek trailer with the Jaunary TDK release?

7. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    My question is do you think they will release it on DVD before the rerelease? Having people not see it for months builds the thirst

8. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    well the DVD is still slated for a December release.

but as I said above...if they rerelease to ALL theaters, not just IMAX, the expense involved would probably need to be recouped by making everyone who wants to see the film go back to the theaters...and thus delay the DVD.

If it's just IMAX, it's niche market, and they can release to DVD in time for Christmas.

9. That_Joker_Guy

That_Joker_Guy Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2008
    the dvd will be out even here for christmas. so whatever it is they plan for next year - seems to have no influence on the release date.
    i'd like to see the film in cinema again. (obviously) still, i don't think it will happen here. even if it is released only in imax there's no way i can see it within reasonable distance. *sigh*

*~*~*~*~*~*
    Why so serious? [face_clown]

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, what are the tracks on the score for both BB and TDK worth grabbing off of iTunes? I particularly want the "Dark Knight march" from both films used in all the commercials over the logo, though it's difficult to pinpoint the right tracks between the confusing titles of BB and the broader coverage of the sheer scale of TDK.

Likewise, what other tracks might be worth a grab? Most of the score is atmospheric or ambient, so I don't want the whole album. As effective as the "Joker buzzing" sound effect of the score is within the context of the film, it's not something I want to listen to as "music".

11. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    "Molossus" from Batman Begins will give you the Batman 'theme'. It's the music from the car chase where he's racing Rachel to the Batcave, and the 'march' gets a lot of play.

As far as TDK, I found this on wikipedia's discussion page (this doesn't include tracks from the second disc of the new 2-disc set):

1. Why So Serious? (9:14) - The opening scene (bank robbery), shorter in the movie.
    2. I'm Not a Hero (6:34) - The Hong Kong mission, preparing and capturing of Lao.
    3. Harvey Two-Face (6:16) - Harvey and Gordon/Fox and Bruce/Gordon captures mob bosses.
    4. Aggressive Expansion (4:35) - The very end of the movie/murders of Loeb and the judge Surillo/The Joker crashes the party.
    5. Always the Catch (1:39) - The only track I can't place anywhere; it is possible it is not used in the movie (It contains both The Joker's theme and a fragment of Nycteris from Batman Begins).
    6. A Little Push (2:42) - Batman interrogates Maroni/Harvey interrogates Thomas Shiff.
    7. Blood on My Hands (2:16) - Bruce and Rachel
    8. I Am the Batman (1:59) - Harvey publicly "admits" that he is the Batman.
    9. Agent of Chaos (6:55) - Batman rushes to save Rachel/Rachel and Harvey talk/The Joker escapes/The explosion (Rachel's death)/Aftermath (Rachel's goodbye letter).
    10. And I Thought My Jokes Were Bad (2:28) - Bruce drives Lamborghini/The evacuation of hospitals/Bruce saves Coleman Reese.
    11. Like a Dog Chasing Cars (5:02) - First I thought this cue was intended to appear during the Batpod chase but was never used; however, this cue was used, but in another moment. When Batman crashes into the Pruit building to save the hostages (clowns). However, only the first half was used, right before the appearance of the Batman heroic theme.
    12. Introduce a Little Anarchy (3:42) - This track picks where the last one left off. It goes during the Batman's fight with the terrorists (doctors) and police, while using his sonar. It ends during Batman's fight with the dogs and The Joker.
    13. Watch the World Burn (3:47) - Harvey holds Gordon's family as hostages/Tossing the coin/This track is abrubtly ended as the theme from the end of "I'm Not a Hero" enters.
    15. A Dark Knight (16:15) - This track is pretty much divided throughout the final scenes of the movie. First, it appears when Batman shows his sonar gimmick to Fox; then, it appears when police search the bridges; then, during the ferries situation; it ultimately makes its appearance at the end of the movie, while Gordon and Batman discuss how to cover Harvey's crimes; when Batman sits on his Batpod in the final scene, the first blast from the beginning of "Aggressive Expansion" pick up; it is then followed by End Credits intro from Batman Begins.

12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I'd also say the harvey two-face theme is a worthwhile download.

13. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    It's all good if you ask me.

14. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    I was really dissapointed with the Special Features. No audio Commentary, Not really anything showing the making of the movie.

15. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Yahoo news is reporting that sources at Warner are indicating that 1) Nolan and Bale will definitely return for Batman 3, and 2) Rachel Weisz is a top contender for Catwoman.

No official word yet from Warners, but apparently the unofficial sources are reliable.

[face_praying]

16. rodan70

Apr 1, 2002
    I REALLY hope the villan isn't Catwoman

17. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I hope she's not the villain, but she could be an interesting foil for Batman.

18. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Is there a source or link? I am looking through the usual dependable news venues for TDK news and searching Yahoo and not seeing anything about this.

EDIT: Nvm just found it...

So nothing substantial and nothing official, just rehashing old rumours as "fact"? I am taking this with a grain of salt.

19. rodan70

Apr 1, 2002
    ^^^ Same here. I remember beeing worried about the casting of Heath Ledger as the Joker at first. But as Stills were slowly and carefully released, I was re-assured that it would be awesome. I have full confidence in Christopher Nolan and his Casting. He won't put some Actor/actress that's really recognisable as a main part. I remember a quote that Jullian blaustein said durring the casting of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" 1951. "If Spencer Tracy walks off that ship..." Meaning if they went with a well known actor, the believeability (I know I can't spell, it's late.) will be lost.

20. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I don't know how seriously we can take that report but it does sound interesting. Rachel Weisz is a terrific actress and I would love to see Jon Nolan write a script based on that sexual tension between the two characters.

Philip Seymour Hoffman has said he wants to be the Penguin and I hope he does get that chance in the third film. I thought to myself after rewatching Dark Knight that the perfect way to do this sequel would be to do Dark Knight Returns but then I thought maybe have Nolan put his own spin on that story and have Batman be gone but for not that long. Perhaps this solves the Robin trouble if Nolan really wanted to do it

21. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    So, let me get this straight... you want a Nolanverse Dark Knight Returns -- with no Robin, Joker and Two-Face replaced by Catwoman and the Penguin, and presumably no Superman? That would make for a very unusual interpretation indeed. [face_not_talking]

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As I understand it, it's speculated that, since BB was inspired by Year One, and TDK based on The Long Halloween, that would suggest the third film would follow that series by being based on Dark Victory, apparently Bale's faorite Batman story.

Me? I wouldn't mind some variation on Knightfall. Thematicly, and especially in title, it would seem, in broad strokes, to be a good starting point.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That doesn't make sense, given that Joe Chill and the Joker are different characters in Nolan's films.

24. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Have people heard these frankly insane rumours? Eddie Murphy as the Riddler and Shia LeBoeuf as Robin.

Despite the torrent of derision that greeted this 'scoop', apparently the reporter concerned is sticking to his guns. Interesting.

25. rodan70

Apr 1, 2002
    You know... My sister heard this rumor. Nolan has stuck really close to the way the characters were in the comics and in our minds. Eddy Murphy as The Riddler? Joke. i an interview whit Nolan or Bale, I can't remember who, saying that there would be "No Robin" in these films.