main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Battle Droid Characters Are Underused In The EU?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by 16AndPregnant, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 16AndPregnant

16AndPregnant Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    From the movies, B1 Battle Droids are looked at as clumsy, inferior, mindless servants that nobody cares about. In the EU, none of their notable members are explored through comics, novels, video games, etc. like the Clone Troopers are. I feel that there should be more stories out there that allow us to explore the Battle Droids rather than just what the movie stereotypes for us.

This idea sparked into my mind when I was playing Star Wars Battlefront II's Conversion Pack on Bespin: Platforms (Hero Assault) which had B1 Battle Droid "OOM-9" on the Villains side. OOM-9 was notable for commanding the Battle Droids in the Battle of the Grassy Plains during the events of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. I fell like he should have an actual appearance as a hero unit in a future Battlefront game. Considering he was in The Phantom Menace, it would be interesting if he had his own entry in the Episode I Adventures or Episode I Journals series.

Give me your thoughts on this!

2. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I agree that Battle Droids should appear more in new SW books/comics.
    They were mass produced after all.
    The only problem is TPM premiered after many SW books were published, so...

I do not think a story featuring a Battle Droid as main character would work though.

3. 16AndPregnant

Jan 19, 2013
    It's possible. They made stories off of IG-88.

4. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    I think many people would be receptive of a HK-47 novel or comic. Personally, I think droids should be used more often as POV characters. They're so prevalent in the galaxy but we rarely hear from them.

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  5. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    The only problem is droids cannot have emotions, so they are not good as protagonists.
    Well, IG-88 is an exception...

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I-Five from Dark Maul: Shadow Hunter, the Medstar duology, and the Coruscant Nights trilogy.

On the villain side of the scale, there's EVE-9D9, Jabba's torture droid, who has a short story in Tales from Jabba's Palace.

7. 16AndPregnant

Jan 19, 2013
    HK-47 Novel/Comic or any other character from KoTOR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

8. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Well, about what I said earlier.
    With "protagonist", I actually should have written "lead character".
    I do think droids can be good as supportive characters, but I do not think a droid as main character would work out fine.
    Actually, I never really liked the droids comic series and the droids television series.

Of course, others can have another opinion on that matter. It is not because I do not like a droid as lead character that you have to agree with me.

9. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I would love it if they published a comic/novel about HK-47. The only thing is that it has to feature Revan as well.

10. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    [/quote]I would love it if they published a comic/novel about HK-47. The only thing is that it has to feature Revan as well.[/quote]

+1

HK-47 would be an interesting main character. I also agree that droids are underused. However, droids in general are portrayed in a communal sense and not necessarily an individual sense, especially in the Rise of the Empire Era.

As for me, I dislike a lot of droid activity in novels. I would rather focus on the elements of politics, Jedi affairs, fighting, etc. than I would learning about a droid.

That is not to say that there is not room in the universe for Droid expansion. Just not for me.[face_dunno]

PS

11. 16AndPregnant

Jan 19, 2013
    Aren't the droids in that a lot different? Considering it has C3PO and R2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.