main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN Battlestar Galactica 2005 discussion thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Ulkesh2, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Fifteen full days till the start of the second season of Battlestar Galactica !!! If you missed first season Sci-Fi Channel will be having a marathon run of it around July 9 I think. Check the official site. The new BG is what really good space opera is all about. Now is the time to get with the program people. A wild ride is coming.

2. GeekGoddess

GeekGoddess Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    YAY!!!!! *Does Happy Geeky Dance of Joy!!!!*

3. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Just a update report from the CIC:

- 12 Days Till Season 2 -

4. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Ulkesh2;

Thanks again, man, for letting us know about the show when it first came on a year or so ago. Even though I though it was a bad idea at the time (I think my quote was something like: "a GIRL starbuck! What next, Buck-Anne Rodgers?"), it is the best sci-fi TV show ever!

So, thanks man! Can't wait for the new stuff!

Jammies

5. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Update From The CIC:

- 10 Days Till Season 2 -

6. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Oh just a reminder...

On July 6 (Wednesday) the Sci-Fi Channel is having a BG marathon. The first season of the revised version of BG will be shown. If you want to prepare yourself for the wild ride coming in the second season I highly recommend tuning in. Tell the boss you have that rare strain of BG flu. Stay home and watch one of the BEST sci-fi series ever put together. I mean it people. The revised BG is up there with Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Star Trek: The Original Series, Space:1999, Classic Battlestar Galactica, V, Babylon 5, and Farscape. You will not be sorry.

7. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    -8 Days Till Season 2-

8. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Update From The CIC:

-5 Days Till Season 2-

Did everyone watch the marathon run of season 1? Everyone now on the same page and ready for the wild ride coming in season 2? Remember on July 26 at Best Buy the first season will be on DVD.

9. TC517

TC517 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    I tried to DVR the marathon but it only recorded one episode! Does anyone have these laying around somewhere? Just PM me... :)

10. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I Shirley HOPE you guys have seen the original!!
    I watch the very first episode and Hated the new virsion. Just please sit down and watch some of the 1978 episodes.

11. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Update From The CIC:

-2 Days Till Season 2-

12. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Update From The CIC:

-0 Days Till Season 2-

YYYIIIIPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!

13. Edric-The-White

Edric-The-White Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    Well, I caught most of the season opener. I was okay. I really can't say that I loved it. It was okay. I still like Science Fiction that has a positive/hopeful spin to it. However, I realize that this is not the way of the world. I'll keep watching. I'm actually looking forward to the Pegasus Episodes with Michelle Forbes (from ST:TNG) as Commander Cain.

Peace,

Edric

14. GeekGoddess

Feb 24, 2005
    Holy Powers That Be Batman!!! He Lives!!!!

15. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    "HOLY POWERS THAT BE BATMAN, HE LIVES"

Yeah, it's been nuts. I have had the opportunity to write/help direct/and have a small part in the most recent filmed episode of "Spookarronies" here in Jasper, however.

Actually, I like what we do on our show more than what I saw in the season opener of BG. I am a little biased, I'll admit.

Anyway, I still think BG is getting too dark. The confrontation between Tigh and Cylon Boomer is another point in case. The Colonials are becoming like the Cylons.

Peace,

Steve

16. Mr_Self_Destrukt

Mr_Self_Destrukt Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2004
    I think that BSG is taking a very hard edged realistic approach to how humans would respond to the decimation of the whole human race, minus 47,875 survivors at the compliments of toasters. I think they learned alot mistakes from shows like "Enterprise" that were too upbeat.

Tigh could have blown her fracking head off.

17. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    ^^

Good point. However, if I want to see gritty realism I'll turn on CNN. I guess I'm an old fashioned fanboy - I want my Science Fiction to be upbeat or at least have the potential of being upbeat. We have to have a future to look forward to; otherwise, what's the point of getting up in the morning?

Peace,

Edric

18. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Innocence is over.

The idealism found in Trek had its spark in the Kennedy era. That paradigm has run its course. The break with Trek derived idealism began with Babylon 5, X-Files, and Farscape in the late 90s. Televised sci-fi has now reached a shift in narrative approach and tone. This shift is from idealism to naturalism. The revised Battlestar Galactica has become the spearhead of this movement. It is the first sci-fi show to step up to the tensions running high in our post 9-11 world and address them with honesty. BG is an extrapolation of the first five years of the 21st century. The picture it paints is one of shining greatness being eclipsed by jealous fanaticism. In other words BG is not a bedtime story sugar-coated for the faint of heart. That is not to say BG does not have moments of good cheer. That's the real magic of the revised BG. When a happy feel good circumstance happens it is more noticable amid the stark hardships. The audience will feel it has really earned that moment of cheer. In Trek the upbeat moments are expected and not earned by the viewer. BG makes you work to find a glimpse of harmony and good tidings. Much like reality does. The weakness of Trek is it lacks honest conflict to drive the drama. When a conflict is presented in the Trek universe it seems rather shallow and forced. BG thrives on conflict, because life is conflict. The drama thus derived is natural and convincing.

19. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    WOW !!!

Season 2 is here! Talk about a sticky situation. Geez...its going to be a long wait till next friday. I think a perfect sub-title to this season's opener is...'It Never Rains. It Pours'

GEEEKGASMIC PURITY OH MY !!!

20. Mr_Self_Destrukt

Dec 29, 2004
    You know something, you may have some way out there analogies on all things sci-fi but what you just wrote has to be the best objective view on BSG. You pretty much captured the honesty of the series.

Good job!

21. GeekGoddess

Feb 24, 2005
    I second that notion. I couldn't have put it better myself.

22. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    Oh, I believe the new BG is gritty, realistic, and relevant to today's social and political landscape. I do not intend to "bash" the show. That's not my point. I intend to keep watching, I just prefer there to be some show's out there with some hope for the future; just to offer a different viewing experience.

I do look forward to how the Adama-Roslin Conflict is resolved. Adama did cross the line when he arrested the President for essentially using her faith to guide her political decisions. Obviously, this will be an issue for the rest of the season if not series.

Personally, I see Roslin being a strong proponent of Admiral Cain when she comes into the scene.

See, I do follow the show even if I don't find it exactly to my taste. LOL

Well, I'm off to help work on some scripts for the TV show that I get to be a part of.

Peace,

Edric

23. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Good discussion everyone! In fact this will be the place to discuss all aspects of the new Battlestar Galactica series.

Spoiler Free :)

As with all of our threads, don't spoil your neighbor. Episodes must have aired in order to discuss plot points and details.

:)

24. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    The ratings are in on the first episode of BG's second season. It received a very high rating and share. Sorry I don't remember the exact number crunch result.

Interesting side note about the season opener. In the credits I noticed the name Mark Veirden listed. This guy was one of the better writers of comic books based on the ALIENS universe.

The next episode looks to be a heavy hitter in the realm of terror and violence. The episode is titled 'Valley Of Death'. Don't worry I'll keep any spoilers to myself. Though it be VERY hard.

Oh and a reminder about the DVD set for BG's first season. This DVD set is exclusive to Best Buy. It will be on sale July 26.

25. Mr_Self_Destrukt

Dec 29, 2004
    How much? BestBuy.com is down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.