main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

P.Rico Beat the Geeks: Puerto Rico Edition --Join the Game!

Discussion in 'Latin America General Discussion' started by Spike_Spiegel, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Valle

Darth_Valle Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2002
    Ok... To answer Kyle Katarn's challenge!

1- What is the tag line of Dawn of the Dead?
    "When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

2- What was Bela Lugosi's Last movie?
    Debatable, his LAST appearance was in Edward Wood Jr.'s Plan 9 from outer Space. However, his last full lenght feature film was also Ed Wood's "Bride of the Monster"

3- What book is credited to be the first gothic novel?
    There are three different Gothic trends, but I believe the one you are refering to was the one born on the weekend spent at Lord Byron's House. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

2. Skalderan

Skalderan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    Ktulu wrote: "The SW Holiday Special, The Adventures of the Ewoks, Droids:The Adventure of R2-D2 and C3PO, and The Ewoks and Star Wars droids Adventure Hour. "

Spike Speigle wrote: Sorry Ktulu, as host of this fine game, it is my duty to inform you that your answer is incomplete. There were two Ewok movies: The Ewok Adventure and Ewoks: The Battle For Endor, both were TV movies aired in the mid 80's by ABC.

Caravan of Courage: The Ewok Adventure wich is a spinn-off from Return of the Jedi Ewoks and the Marauders of Endor/Ewoks II: The Battle for Endor. Both films got a cinematic release outside the us but both were originaly 'made for tv movies.'

3. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Well Rafa, you have survived the challenge. However you have one wrong answer. I asked: "Which was the first FULL LENGTH motion picture?" "FULL LENGTH" was the detail to catch. But you got two out of three and that is good, so you have beaten off with sticks your first challenge! Congratz!

4. MegaJediRafa

MegaJediRafa RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 1, 2002
    By saying If I'm not mistaken, I guess it was my way of saying I'm not sure. :p
    Now, can you tell me so that I can bang my face with my desk?

5. Lord_Nyom

Lord_Nyom Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    Ok, for the MovieGeek, this gonna be an easy round for you.

1-Besides Godfather II, in which other movie Robert De Niro has colaborated with Coppolla.?

2- What does McFly and Admiral Kirk (actors) have in common?

3- Trace an "6 degrees separation" between Aragorn and Gandalf (the actors),
    **Bonus: and Galadriel.

6. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    And the Jawa strikes with his hooded fist! (And that made no sense whatsoever!)

Another challenge for the Movies Geek!

BTW, it was "Birth of a Nation", by Griffin which is about 3 hours long, I think.

7. kyle_katarn_pr

kyle_katarn_pr Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2002
    You aced the first two questions horrorgeek.
    But, unfortunatly you missed the third question.
    The novel that is widely acredited to be the first gothic novel is "The Castle of Otranto: A Gothic Story " by Horace Walpole

8. Darth_Valle

Oct 29, 2002
    Actually, I would debate that point very hard.
    The novels that gave birth to the trend called "Gothic" in literature are John Polidori's "The Vampire" and Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein", both born and written on the weekend at Lord Byron's.
    It would be important to define what trend of Gothic are you talking about. The Gothic literature I know is not based on excess, but in the beauty of darkness.
    "Frankenstein" was the first time a monster had a heart, and feelings. It was a killing machine that could shed tears and made so out of suffering, and that mixture sparked a lot of novels on the same trend and defined the Gothic term that lives today in books and authors.
    Granted, Horace Walpole wrote "Castle of Otranto" in 1765 against Shelley's "Frankenstein" in 1816, but the Gothic in Walpole's is more towards the sublime and the supernatural, contrary to Shelley's where the horror is not only man-made, but concious (For those who have not read the complete Frankenstein, the creature talks.)
    The decision is entirely up to the game host.

Ok, en el American Literacy Guild, Walpole esta presentado con el titulo de primer autor Gotico. Por ende, retracto mi argumento y acepto el fallo.

9. Ktulu_Terumo

Ktulu_Terumo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Skal, te pasaste, pero acepto la derrota.

I guess I must declare the Star Wars Geek space free for the taking.....but beware my challenge!!!

10. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    Skal gana el challenge!

Eso no significa que Ktulu pierde su puesto, btw. Skal tiene que derrotar a Ktulu dos veces mas para conseguir su puesto!

Y Skal, tu premio viene en camino!

Y acerca de Castle of Otranto, los scholars de literatura usualmente ponen a Walpole como el primer novelista gotico.

11. Skalderan

May 10, 2002
    jejjeej
    Ktulu - the correct translation to 'Eyak ur urah gu' is Please leave my clothes. It is spoken in Tusken language

12. Rao

Rao Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2002
    I was out of PR when this thread was created.

I want to be a Harry Potter geek but there is no way I can defeat Valle in that category.

Please someone defeat him.

No offense meant, Valle.

13. Skalderan

May 10, 2002
    jejejej Ok her ewe go again.... Challenging the SW geek one more time.

1. Name at least 3 of Luke Skywalkers' love intrests Beside Mara Jade.

2. What was the name of the cyberphilologist responsible for the droid speach programing called Bab-Prime?

3.Who did he work for?

14. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    Dammit Skal, you are evil!

Ktulu defend thyself!

15. MegaJediRafa

Feb 1, 2002
    I don't know if I'm still in time (Pottermania hit me hard and days and nights passed by without me noticing it), so just in case here are my answers to Nyom's questions:

1-Besides Godfather II, in which other movie Robert De Niro has colaborated with Coppola?

Found Some:

Frankenstein (1994) (Coppola as producer)
    Good Shepherd, The (2004) (Coppola as producer)
    Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (1991)

2- What does McFly and Admiral Kirk (actors) have in common?

They've both acted with Cristopher Lloyd (Doc on BTTF and a klingon bad guy on ST3: Search for Spock). Took me a while to remember this one.

3- Trace an "6 degrees separation" between Aragorn and Gandalf (the actors),
    **Bonus: and Galadriel.

Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn) was in "Carlito's Way" with Al Pacino, who was with Keanuu Reeves in "The Devil's Advocate", who was with Laurence Fishburne on "The Matrix", who was with Sean Connery in "Just Cause", who was with Harrison Ford in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", who was with Tommy Lee Jones on "The Fugitive", who worked along with Ashley Judd in "Double Jeopardy", who was with Hugh Jackman on "X-Men", who was with Ian McKellen (Gandalf).

For the Bonus: Continuing from Ian McKellen who also worked with Halle Berry on "X-Men", who was with Billy Bob Thornton in "Monster's Ball", who was with Cate Blanchett (Galadriel) in "Bandits".

Ta-daaa!

16. Lord_Nyom

Lord_Nyom Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    Correct!!!!!

For question #1 i was only counting for Frankenstein.

#2 was exactly as it was intended to be answered

and #3 besides beign correct , its an alternative to the one i traced.

Viggo-Perfect Murder / with Paltrow = Shakespeare in love / with Judi Dench (as Queen Elizabeth 1) = Die another day as M /with Hale Berry= X-men / with Ian Mckellen (Magneto/Gandalf)

Bonus= X-men from Marvel / = Spiderman directed by Sam Raimi / also director of The Gift with Cate Blanchett (Galadriel)

Good one!!!

17. MegaJediRafa

Feb 1, 2002
    Excellent. I thought that doing a 6 degrees only actors were allowed. And I just remember that Viggo was the bad guy in a perfect murder, right?

It's up to the geek master to decide then if my answer was on time.

18. Darth_Valle

Oct 29, 2002
    Don't worry Rao, I have lost once already.
    If time passes and nobody beats me, we can always ask the game host to rotate the place so the topic stays fresh (I have the feeling not many people here know about horror!) :p
    Anyway, I'm sure it will be treated in the fairest way possible.
    Cheers!

19. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
    Thank you very much Darth Valle

20. Khal_DRhonn

Khal_DRhonn Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2002
    I hereby slap the Movie Geek in the face with a white glove:

Answer me these questions three:

1. Name a movie starring Nicholas Cage and Penelope Cruz

2. Name a movie starring Johnny Depp and Marlon Brando

3. Name a movie starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour

I await your response posthaste!! [face_mischief]

21. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    No le sacan el guante de la cara a el movie geek!

22. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
    A challenge for the TV geek

What would a Vulcan be doing in NYC?

What is the job of the boyfriend of the second Daughter of Dr. Huxtable and what is peculiar about her?

what is the name of Pepper Ann best friend and whom did she use as reference the episode of the carrer orientation exam?
    (clue: a musician)

23. Skalderan

May 10, 2002
    What happened to the SW geek?
    I hope he's not hiding....hehehhe

24. MegaJediRafa

Feb 1, 2002
    1) Name a movie starring Nicholas Cage and Penelope Cruz

Captain Corelli's Mandolin

2) Name a movie starring Johnny Depp and Marlon Brando

Don Juan DeMarco

3) Name a movie starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour

Somewhere in Time

I feel as if I want to take a break on the movie geekness. Somebody else wants to be a temporary movie geek?

25. Pablo-Fett

Pablo-Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    OYE SKALDERAN!! dame un break a mi a ser MUSIC GEEK... tu sabes mas de SW que yo!! haha yo de lo que se es de musica! hahahh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.