main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"beefed up" and slim action figures??

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Hoggsquattle, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Hello,

I've been out of the action figure collecting for a few years so I have an inquiry as I have no access to any STAR WARS figures or even a toy store for the time being.

Hasbro released a range of figures in the 1990's that had a "beefed up" look. With EPISODE I (I think) they slimmed them down a bit.

Am I right in saying that since then, the action figures have again changed their overall appearance so that they are evener slimmer?

As an example of what I mean, if you had several Clone Troopers (in standard armour) from the various sets released (EPISODE II, III, SAGA, POWER OF THE JEDI, ETC.) and you stood them beside each other would they match?

And if you added Captain Rex from the TCW range would he also match?

Cheers

2. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    For the most part Grytpype you would be correct in assuming that. For example the POTF2 Stormtroopers do not fit in with the more recent releases of figures. Now the really skinny figures are from The Clone Wars line. Generally the troopers can mix in with the regular figures but there is an overall size difference between the animated versions and the regular versions.

Clonetroopers that were released for AotC still fit in well with their counterparts from more recent times though. Overall since '99 the biggest change has been added articulation. A modern stormtrooper has more movement than a 2002 stormtrooper, and that's pretty much the case for all figures. The most recent AotC Obi-Wan is way better than any other Obi-Wan from his original run in 2002.

3. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

thanks for the info.

why did Hasbro change them so much?

4. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    Well the Clone Wars toys changed because they wanted them to match the animation. The regular line of figures have just evolved over time. It's easier now to add the articulation on the figures and make them more true to life. Plus when the line came back in the 90s it was decided that the figures would have a more stylized look to them. Now the figures look way closer to the character, whether EU or movie. I think one of the coolest innovations that came out of the change in style was the ability for Jedi and Sith to hold their lightsabers in both hands. Toss in knee and ankle joints and the poseability of figures is through the roof.

I may not buy everything that Hasbro produces anymore, but what they are doing with some of these figures is absolutely amazing. One thing that I've loved over the past few years is that Hasbro paid attention to the EU. I love the figures offered from Legacy and I was really looking forward to more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.