main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best order for a first timer to view the saga NOW?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Luukeskywalker, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I know there has been MANY a discussion on here about what the best order will be for a first time viewer to view them when Episode III is completed.

But my question is, what about now?

What if you were gonna show the saga as is now, to someone who hasn't seen any of them yet? What order would u show them in?

The reason why I am asking is because this one potential girl that I might start dating hasn't seen any of them, but is interested in seeing them, if I show them to her.

What does everyone suggest.

Keep in mind this is a chick. So she doesn't really care about all that Star Wars purist stuff.

Thanks.

2. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Well, we've been discussing that in Viewing the Saga in Order

I personally like 456-123, but 123456 also has a strong argument.

3. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    No no no. According to your response, you didn't quite understand my question. I am not talking about all 6 movies.

I am talking about right now, here in 2003 as only 5 movies have been made.

What order?

12456?
    45612?

another order?

remember, I am talking about all epsiodes EXCEPT Episode III because it isn't out yet.

Thanks.

One thing I just thought about, is that it would be cool to show it to her 12456, because, if you think about it, it could still keep the revelation in ESB that everyone wants to be kept in tact, while still having a basic understanding of what is happening to Anakin through Episode II without seeing the other ones first.
    :D

4. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Maybe you should wait until you start dating her before you spring any SW marathons on her, regardless of the order. That's a lot of sitting around and not talking and not doing much else. Elevated pulse helps budding relationships.

Anyhow, go PT then OT.

5. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    I would show them in 4-5-6-1-2 order.

Why? Because if she sticks around long enough for that (and I have to agree with Emos-Edud here), then you have at least one more guaranteed date with her in 2005 for Ep.III, and it will nicely finish the saga.

Besides, you'll have far fewer questions to answer for the skip between 2-4. More time for lovin' :D

6. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    As an experiment, I think you should show her 1-2-4-5-6. I am interested to know what she thinks about TPM and AOTC, considering that she wont be plagued by preconcieved notions about what she thinks the prequels should be like.

7. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    I say 45612.
    oh no! that's my pin number [face_shocked]

*runs away

8. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    First of all, don´t let her see the numbers of the episodes(cover the screen when they show up).
    From this standpoint, show them to her in the order 52614 and then let her guess in which order they come chronologically.

Have fun! :D

9. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    45612 sounds good.

10. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    >>>Maybe you should wait until you start dating her before you spring any SW marathons on her, regardless of the order.<<<

Hehe. Ya, I know. good point. We were just talking one day about our interests, and of course Star Wars came up. (No, it did not turn her off). In fact, she thought it was cool, and she said that she had never seem any of them, but she really wants to, and said that I should show them to her some time.

I am half considering letting 2005 roll around (hopefully we will be together that long) and not showing her ANY until Episode III comes out. I think that would be the idea way for anyone to see them for the first time (123456).

But then I thought about it, and that would be stupid. So, I think I will show them to her before that sometime.

So, we will see. I am in no rush to show them to her like next week or anything though.

:)

11. Masterkyp44

Masterkyp44 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    my vote is for 45612 considering ep3 isn't out yet. Probably make the most sense that way. Hmm though now that I think about I dunno..that's a tough one.

I showed my wife 1 and 2 first then 456. The only reason I did that was because she said she had already seen them, but when we got to watching 456 she said she didn't remember any of it. She actually liked it in that order because she could see all the tie ins to 1 and 2....hmmm maybe my vote is 12456.

12. KAKAMAN

KAKAMAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2003
    Right now I'd go with 12456.
    Good Luck
    K

13. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Watch them like this 1 up to the pod race STOP watch 6 up to when luke visits yoda STOP 4 up till you see Han Solo STOP Then watch 6 again then 5 then 1 then 2 then go back and go 2 6 5 1 4 or 5 2 6 4 1. Oh yea must remember when your watching to eat certian foods too :p Pizza is good for 1 burgers for 5 maybe chinese for 6 I dunno about 2 and 4 just get some drinks for 4 JD Wisky stuff like that. Then for a really fun time watch all of them in reverse :p hahaha thats always fun. but make sure its 5 then 1 then 4 then 6 then 2 :) ENJOY

14. Trojan_Sock

Feb 27, 2003
    "I think you should show her 1-2-4-5-6...she wont be plagued by preconcieved notions about what she thinks the prequels should be like."

Why should the order matter to a new person? Wouldn't watching them in either order create preconceived notions about the other trilogy?

15. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Keep in mind this is a chick. So she doesn't really care about all that Star Wars purist stuff.

I may have to hurt you for that remark. What's to say a girl wouldn't care? I care! If I have to hear one more time that SW isn't a "chick" thing, I'm going to scream!

Trust me, several of my female friends are also SW fans. We can be just as psychotic about it as any male! We scare milder SW fans! Trust me, it will make a difference!

Anyways, just to be annoying, 4-5-2-1-6. :p

16. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    You tell 'em DOY ;)

I have lots of people telling me I'm weird for my obession all the time.

17. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    >>>I may have to hurt you for that remark. What's to say a girl wouldn't care? I care! If I have to hear one more time that SW isn't a "chick" thing, I'm going to scream!

Trust me, several of my female friends are also SW fans. We can be just as psychotic about it as any male! We scare milder SW fans! Trust me, it will make a difference!<<<

Well, considering this chick hasn't even seen any SW movie in her entire life, I would say its a good bet she doesn't care about the purist stuff. That is what I meant. :p

18. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    >>>>>>Why should the order matter to a new person? Wouldnt watching them in either order create preconcieved notions about the other trilogy.<<<<<<<

Yes it would, which is exactly the point. It is ok if there are preconceieved notions about the OT, b/c the OT is a lot more popular than the PT. So I think it would be interesting if she had preconcieved notions about the OT, and didnt like the OT b/c of it. Hopefully that would help convince people that the prequels are every bit as good as the OT.

19. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    Luukeskywalker, another good reason to show her 1-2-4-5-6, is that it would be interesting to see how fast she picks up that Palpatine is Sidious. I think a lot of bashers overestimate their ability to be able to see that he is Sidious. What they dont realize is that they knew months before TPM came out that Palpatine is Sidious, so there is no way they can tell whether or not they would have known Palpatine was Sidious if they were watching 1-2-4-5-6. So I am very interested to know how fast she picks up that Palpatine is Sidious.

20. Trojan_Sock

Feb 27, 2003
    "It is ok if there are preconceieved notions about the OT, b/c the OT is a lot more popular than the PT."

Not that I disagree with your point, but the girl has never seen Star Wars anyways, so it's moot. If anything, she would most likely be "biased" towards the PT, because that's what people are talking about right now. Most talk of the OT is on the internet.

I've played Star Wars Trivial Pursuit with my 5th graders, and they know very little about the OT. They can, however, discuss the PT at great length. People nowadays who don't know much about Star Wars tend to know more about the PT than the OT, because the PT is being advertised on everything.

21. Arwen_Solo

Arwen_Solo Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2003
  22. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    Thanks for all of the great points and input everyone, you are a great help.

:D

23. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    For An Experiment show her 6-5-4-2-1

backward must be great if Yoda can manage it ...

24. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Heh.

It'd be a lot easier if Episode 3 was out, but since that's not the case...

I think 12456 would be fine if you want to show her all 5...but you could always just show her either 456 or 12, and then the other 2-3 films if she wants to see more.

25. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Well, considering this chick hasn't even seen any SW movie in her entire life, I would say its a good bet she doesn't care about the purist stuff. That is what I meant.

So why did you say to keep in mind that it was a girl instead of keep in mind that it was someone completely new to the saga?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.