main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Billie Gates is Not My Lover: The Xbox 360 Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Handmaiden Yané, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Games Forum, I need your help!

I am thinking of bringing my Xbox back with me to the UK. My biggest concern is the difference between UK and US voltages. Will this affect my Xbox or will it be fine?

If it's fine, and I bring it with me to the UK, what would be the best way of transporting it? I was thinking of carry-on, if I can find a bag big enough. I'm worried about it being damaged in-transit.

Any advice on this matter would be most helpful! Thanks. :)

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I bought my PS3 carryon. I'd advise that.

Have a look at the power brick on your Xbox. If it says '110V/240V' on it, you can use it no worries. You'll just need a different power cord. Also some games and DVDs you get in the UK might not work because of region coding; I'm not 100% sure how that works on the Xbox.

3. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    As per Marcus' comments, check your power brick.

I'd imagine that with the number of Xbox's that stuff up you should be able to get a UK power unit pretty cheaply > just checked, they're 20 quid on ebay...

As for region encoding, here's a list of region free games which I just found through Google. > http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Region_Free_Xbox_360_Games

4. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I don't really care about games since the only ones I play are ones I already own (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc).

Can I just use a plug adapter for my Xbox? Or is that not advisable?

5. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Probably it will be fine.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I took an Xbox to Iraq the other year. If you do stuff up and stick your cord into an outlet that the Xbox isn't rated for, don't worry-the Xbox itself will be fine, your cord however won't work anymore. So either get a transformer or a cord for an Xbox from the UK.

Or just switch to PC gaming, as pretty much any laptop doesn't care about voltage. :p

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Got kinect for Christmas. What are some good games to get?

8. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Fruit Ninja Kinect, and Child of Eden. I've heard that the dance central games are pretty legit too.

Evil.

9. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Thanks!

10. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I also enjoyed the little bit of the gunstringer that I played. :)

That's all I know about Kinect games so far, but I love it.

Evil.

11. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    The Dance Central games are awesome, but my skills don't measure up (6'4, lanky, lol)

There isn't a lot else on Kinect at the moment that falls in the 'must buy' category. Kinect Sports and Kinect Adventures are good family games, though I haven't played anything with a particular amount of depth yet...

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    So Children Of Eden is good? I've been thinking about getting it; it seems like literally the only non-exercise game that's halfway interesting.

Although apparently Microsoft has plans to integrate it with Windows 8, which would be cool. Been a long, long time Microsoft introduced something truly revolutionary and gesture-based computing would definitely be that.

13. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Tried the demos for twister, sonic free riders, motorsports, kung fu hit up (or something), joy ride, hole in the wall, etc.

So far, free riders, kung fu, hole in the wall, and motor sports have provided the best times.

Also played fruit ninja, gunstringer, once upon a monster, and kinect adventures.

kinect Adventures desperately needs some more activities.

14. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Okay, I checked my 360 power brick and it says...

Input AC: 100 - 127V

What does that mean?

15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    It means it won't work in the UK. You'll need to buy a new power brick to use your 360 here.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So a friend who owns a used game store sent a used/refurbed 360 my way for free and it arrived today (with the HD is on it's way), though there was some minor damage to box.

However, I hooked it up and the machine seems to work (he sent me a copy of ME1 with it), but the machine gives off a relatively loud internal rattle/buzz at times during bootup (and sometimes when accessing disc content during the game).

Anyone else ever have that happen or know of someone who had it happen? I'm curious if it's indicative of problems down the road and would like to know if there's a solution, or if I should pursue reimbursement for potential shipping damage if that's the case.

17. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    which version is it quest? new one or old? and if old, is it an old elite?

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I believe it's a Core model, looks like this (though i have a gamestop-branded wired controller):

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Xbox-360-arcade.jpg]

No HD and no build-in wifi. My disc drive slot and eject button are also silver- but that might be a result of the refurb (it RROD'd at some point in the past).

19. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The old 360's were notoriously loud. It might eventually rrod on you, but most likely you just need to keep it clean and ventilated. Still, the noise will persist. It might also be a bad disc drive or the laser is going, iirc.

20. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    The silver disc tray means it was a "pro" system and included a hard drive out of the box.

The sticker with the serial number on the back should have the manufacturer date. If it's before 2008 I'd say the noise is, as Valyn said, due to it being an older model. Once you have a hard drive, installing the games will help keep the noise down while playing.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Another kinda silly question- but does the system require an accessory/snap-on for the disc tray to function more securely in a vertical orientation? I mean, it does seem to work fine as is, but the disc seems a little loose in the tray to me- but that could just be my unfamiliarity with using the system.

On the brightside, the buzz stopped when i tested the system vertically.

22. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Nothing required.

23. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    I've never used any type of add-on to secure the discs in vertical-mode, but I wouldn't doubt they're out there somewhere for those who want them. I just got used to it, though every now and then I'll still futz it and send the disc rolling across the room when accessing the tray from the "other" side (usually using my off-hand).

24. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I'm pretty sure the older 360's shouldn't be vertical. You increase the chance of scratching the disc. As you noted, the tray isn't very secure.

25. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Does anyone know if the 360-S is 3D capable?