main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Book Club

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Sean_Starrider, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    I was wondering if anybody would be interested in starting up a Star Wars book club? We could pick a book each month to read and then at the end of the month meet up somewhere to discuss it over a coffee or a beer or something. Would anybody be interested? My Wife is in a Book Club and she really enjoys it, Just thought I would throw it out there. :)

2. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    We have played around with this idea before, but I'm willing to give it another try if folks are interested in it.

Since you suggested it, Sean, name a book, declare a meeting place (bookstores are nice locations for this and if you talk with the folks in charge there, they might even be willing to advertise the Star Wars Book club in their book club postings) and set a date for the meeting. Personally, I think Sunday early afternoon would be a good time, but I'm flexible.

3. TRADMIC

TRADMIC Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2005
    You know I'm in. :)

4. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    Alright, The Book for the month of February is "Darth Bane: Path of Destruction" by Drew Karpyshyn. We'll meet at the Barnes and Noble at the Monroeville Mall on Wednesday, February 28th at 6:30pm. If the time and day isn't good then just speak up and we can find one that best fits everybody. This sounds like alot of fun. :)

5. SuperChill

SuperChill Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 8, 2005
    I would be up for this but I would need a later date or maybe I'll catch the next book. I don't own the book and with dropping all the other books I'm reading, buying this book, and having it read in two weeks it sounds like a lot for this month. Maybe I'll catch the next round. Thanks for the invite though. Keep me posted.

6. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    No problem Superchill. If this works out I would like to do this every month, That way if somebody doesn't have the time one month it's no biggie. They can just join up the following month. :)

7. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    That only gives me like two weeks to buy the book and read it, which usually wouldn't be a big deal - and I'll gladly set aside the books i'm currently reading, as they are all re-reads.

But I need a later date for this too please :)

8. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I've read the book already, just a few weeks ago. But I'm afraid Monroeville isn't convenient for me.

:(

Can I still participate, even if I don't make all of the meetings?

9. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    How does Sunday March 4th at 1:00pm sound to everybody? That's 3 weeks away and like I said before, If the location or lack of reading time doesn't work out for you for this month, It's all good. Just skip a month and join up with us the following month. There's no attendance policy or anything like that, I just thought it would be cool for fans of SW books to get together once a month and discuss. I figure we'll rotate the location each month to a different part of Pittsburgh so that the driving distance is fair to everybody. I look forward to seeing those of you that are able to make this first meeting. I'll see the rest of you at the next one. :)

Sunday, March 4th at 1:00pm
    Barnes and Noble @ the Monroeville Mall

10. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    Call or visit the store and ask them if they can promo it somehow to see if "others" want to join in the discussion.

:)

11. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    So we are meeting on March 4 to read the Darth Bane novel?

I'm in and happy to have it in Monroeville.

12. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    Yes, It is official. We will meet at the Barnes and Noble @ The Monroeville Mall on Sunday March 4th @ 1:00pm. We will discuss and review our book for this month, Darth Bane. And I will definetely eat one of those Volcano Chocolate Bunts they sell there, YUMMY!!! [face_dancing]

13. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Upping to remind folks.

14. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    read and ready.

:D

15. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    Finished it last week. What a excellent book, Cannot wait to discuss! :)

16. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    I'll try to get there a little early to get a table. Since I have never met any of you before, I will wear a Star Wars jersey so hopefully you can find me. :)

17. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    You can look at photos of us here

I'll be wearing a SW shirt too :)

18. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    I just want you all to know that in the second night of reading this book before bed, I dreamed that I was on my own roof fighting Des.

See everyone there!

:)

19. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    If it's not too late, take some pics of the meeting and let me know what is the next book and where the club will meet so that it can go onto the website.

20. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    Too late - we didn't see that we were supposed to take pics :(

Sean is in charge of next meeting day and time, but we did decide that the next book discussion will be on Legacy of the Force: Betrayal

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction was great. Real Star Wars talk, FTW!

:D

21. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    Yes Darth Bane was a wonderful discussion. Truly one of the best books in recent years. It was very nice to meet Mr and Mrs Tradmic and GreenCat. Very cool people. I look forward to meeting the rest of you as well at upcoming meetings. :)

22. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    Okay, It's official. The next Book Club meeting will be at Barnes and Noble at the Monroeville Mall on Wednesday, April 4th at 6:30pm. We will be discussing Legacy of the Force #1 Betrayal by Aaron Allston. Hope to see everybody there. :)

23. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Guess I'll have to go out, get the book and read it.

24. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    You can borrow it from me if we hang out before then.

25. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    There is also an audio version available. I put the link on the website under the book club meeting if anyone is interested. I might try to listen to it when I drive to and from work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.