main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NYCitygurl, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That_WookieWarrior

That_WookieWarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2005
    Fear Agents is AWESOME. Pick it up today.

50's style sci-fi, action packed awesomeness...yeah.

2. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Does anybody have any good sci-fi to suggest? When I go look in the sci-fi/fantasy section at the bookstore it's almost all fantasy (much of it terribly written) and hard boiled militray sci-fi.

Are there any good sci-fi series' like Bayblon 5 only in book format? Or how about Neil Gaimanesque books? I rathe enjoy the surreal sci-fi.

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Thanks, Rouge77. Would you say Revelation Space is worth getting? Has Excitement?

Sidious, I've only got B5: A Call to Arms, and while its TV adaptation was slick and surfed, the book was . . . by Vader's breath, did a 15yo pen that? Good thing I got it secondhand, but it wasn't worth that price even. It's an old one; in old format. Mayhaps newer versions are better?

4. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    I really enjoy them. They are, as NYCG said, an easy read and its fun to catch the references to other fandoms out there - SW, Buffy, etc... and they do get better. The newest one is probabaly the best one - I think personally. It is also coming out in show form on the SCiFi network in January.

5. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Babylon 5 was a great series so if you have a chance to watch it I would, Ex. However, I'm not familiar with that novelization but the telemovie was quite good I thought.

6. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Regrettably, the first hour of A Call to Arms is the only thing I know about the B5 series. I was impressed by the storyline's intrigue and special effects.

7. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    Would anyone recommend Nightwatch by Sergei Lukyanenko? I've heard mixed reviews about the film but I've yet to meet anyone who's read the book.

8. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003

9. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

If I can get Revelation Space tomorrow, The Dark Mirror and the current 200 pages of pure boredom thus far is farewelled. Tell me, does Reynold's books in general has much action, excitement?

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The lost Years of Merlin series by T.A. Barron

The Legend of Drizzt (13 books) by R.A. Salvatore

stunning reads

11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Anyone read Heart of the Mirage[/i], by Glenda Larke? May not be out in American land yet.

12. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    Has anyone ever read the book, "Hyperion"? It's by Dan Simmons, and I thought it was an amazing book, not to mention the follow up books, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, and The Rise of Endymion. I thought they were all great books.

13. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I don't suppose anyone has read these books and could tell me about their buying worth?

In the Eye of Heaven
    The Osserian Saga 1: The Amber Wizard
    Annals of the Chosen 1: The Wizard Lord
    Biting the Sun
    Furies of Calderon

14. barabel_humour

Nov 14, 2005
    I haven't read any of those I'm afraid, however, I can tell you that the Amber Wizard is a poor-seller in my shop. The only one of our fantasy imports that hasn't sold well.

I've just inherited the Tokyopop section in my store and I desperately need to learn about it since it seems to have some rabid devotees, where should I start? [face_worried] The only series I'm already familiar with are Cowboy Bebop and Battle Royale.

15. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Anyone know of any books that are similar to Mercedes Lackey's "Diana Tregarde" books? She only wrote 3 of them, and I really liked the one I have, so I'd like to read other books like it.

And, anyone ever read any of the "The Ferret Chronicles" by Richard Bach? I'm browsing on bookcloseouts.com, and I saw the first one.

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

What do you consider a poor seller, barabel humour?

I'm thinking of getting a Drizzt-class book, probably Homeland. And Elantris was recommened to me. It's preview certainly got my attention. Elantris, Homeland, Ironcrown Moon, Bloodlines, Heart of the Mirage, The Risen Empire . . . so many books I want to read, makes my head spin.

17. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    This isn't exactly on topic but I'm hoping to be forgiven. I am trying to find out if there is already a thread that lists the new sci-fi and fantasy book releases on the forum or not. I couldn't find one in the index but if it is cleverly named I might have missed it.

Anyone know of such a beastie? I used to just go into the local sci-fi/mystery book store every couple of weeks and she'd point them all out to me but that shop's been gone for a long time and I'm only just coming out of mourning enough to want to start buying a lot of books again.

If there isn't such a beastie, should I ask tptb about starting one?

KD

18. barabel_humour

Nov 14, 2005
    Well, The Amber Wizard has sold a whopping two copies throughout my chain in the last six months, that's pretty damn abysmal. :p However, it is possible that only a couple of shops actually risked importing it in the first place, and it might've sold better in rival chains. [face_thinking]

I know how you feel, sometimes I think I'd have much more time to read if I wasn't so busy trying to earn enough money to buy more books that I don't have time to read. It's a vicious cycle. :_|

19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Just finished Jeff VanderMeer?s Shriek: An Afterword. Hands down, this was the best fantasy novel I?ve read to have been published in the past ten years. VanderMeer?s luminous prose continues to add more depth and personal resonance to his signature setting, Ambergris, while the two respective narrative voices excel at intimating a lifetime?s worth of love, war, art, mystery, family, faith and loss. The surrealist methods employed imbue the book with a structure and style that stress a fantastic sense of exploration into the unknown, while VanderMeer?s ability to constantly operate on terms of human verisimilitude ensures this book is not only capable of striking emotional chords, but also offering much insight into the relevancy of a society bred to live under enveloping umbrellas of fear and suspicion. If you?re a fan of mature, artistic fantasy, as well as quality writing of the highest order in general, you owe it to yourself to read this book. (And as a quick note, I?d recommend you read Jeff?s collection/mosaic novel City of Saints and Madmen before Shriek. It?s not necessary in order to understand the gist of everything, but having that introduction to Ambergris will make the experience of Shriek: An Afterword that much more poignant.)

20. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    I recommend "Companions of the Road" by Tanith Lee. A short story with amazing depth.

21. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Can anybody recommend a good comedy sci-fi book? I already have all of the Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy series. Also, I already know about the Discworld and Dirk Gently books so give more choices than just those.

22. barabel_humour

Nov 14, 2005
    You might like Robert Rankin and Tom Holt, they're the first names that sprang to my mind.

23. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Technically, the Legend Of Drizzt seems to be more of a repacaging then an actual timeline. The books are divided up into four trilogies and one four book series. They are:

The Dark Elf Trilogy.
    The Icewind Dale Trilogy.
    The Legacy of the Drow series.
    Paths of Darkness Trilogy.
    The Hunter's Blades Trilogy.

24. barabel_humour

Nov 14, 2005
    Long shot but would anyone recommend Catherine Asaro's Saga of the Skolian Empire?

25. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I was researching it a year ago. Don't remember the specifics, but that I haven't bought it sensors I came away dissatisfied. Try Primary Inversion, but I know there are later books filled with copulation, and there's an increasing amount of female authors delighting in this. Perhaps one day I'll decipher the perv mind. Until then, they can keep their sexful material to themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.