main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bowl for Kids Sake 2004

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Krash, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    One of the things discussed at the October meeting was Bowl for Kids Sake 2004 a charity event for Big Brothers, Big Sister of Greater Cleveland.

As many of you know, last year I participated in this event (as a representative of JKOC and Fanforce) with the "Rocket Guys who Bowl" team. Since then, I've gotten involved with BBBS PR Committee...and after attending the opening luncheon for this years Bowl for Kids Sake 2004 event proposed fielding an entire team from The Jedi Knights of Cleveland

Here's the basics:
    We would field a team of 5-6 bowlers...plus recruit as many people as possible for the fundraising aspect of this event (more important then the bowling scores). Once we have a team registered, we can reserve a time for our team to bowl (weekday evening/weekend times available)...and even make some upcoming events as a form of "practice" leading up to the BBBS event.

While I asked for donations from various FF chapters (on the boards)...the real task for us will be finding donations ($100 per bolwer) from other areas (friends, family, co-workers) It's not as difficult as you think. And I can get official letters from BBBS, for everyone to pass around...proving this is a legitimate event!

I like the way the people from BBBS explain it:
    If you know or can find 10 people willing to donate $10...or 20 people willing to give $5...and so on, you're set and the rest is extra

If we can rally a 5-6 person team...and some additional help with finding donations:
    10-15 people...this will be easy, and a good opportunity to do something in the community.

JKOC bowling team:
    Krash
    Padawan92

2. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    I'm interested, but just out of curiosity where would we be practicing at?

JKOC bowling team:
    Krash
    Padawan92
    Random

3. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    JKOC bowling team:
    Krash
    Padawan92
    Random
    _-Reborn_Jedi-_

I'm not a bad bowler myself. I love bowling, and knowing that it'd be for a good cause would be even better. Count me in. Also wondering where we could practice at. Krash I don't know if you're familiar with Freeway Lanes on Brookpark Rd (near W. 130th where the Big Boy is on the corner), but that place is the best place for bowling, period. It's like what Cinemark is for movie theaters, it's a great place with lots of room and best of all, electronic scoreboards.
    If we can get some dates and times set so I can request days off or go on my days off, that'd be cool.

4. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Roseland Lanes on Broadway is also awesome. You don't have to worry about scoring at all. All automated. It's also comparable to what Will said as the Cinemark of bowling.

5. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    where would we be practicing at?
    Doesn't have to be at one place. I was thinking about going around to various bowling locations...and asking if they'd be willing to help sponser our team, in exchange...we use their place for practice. It helps us...and we give them business (fair trade)

If we can get some dates and times
    Considering this event takes place March 2004 we've got a little time. Is it safe to assume that everyone would rather bowl on the weekend? I don't want to reserve a time...until we have (at least) one full team.

6. Darthvaderocks06

Darthvaderocks06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    How many people do you need for a team?

7. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    We'll need 4-5 people to bowl...plus as much help as possible with fundraising. So we're gonna need all the help we can get!

8. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Krash and I were discussing the team online, and we suggest that for right now, we try to get in one practice every two months. We can leave things open so that we can always schedule in more dates as needed, and I'm sure we will probably practice more frequently as the event draws upon us. Thoughts?

9. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Random asked me "how often we should practice?"

once a week?...I like you guys, but not that much ;)

So I suggested (as a start) having us get together during the opposite months as our general meeting:
    October meeting
    November bowling
    December meeting
    January bowling...

We can add more as we go along (as we get closer to the event) and everyone is welcome to come out...even if you're not on the Bowl for Kids Sake team (we need at least 1 more bowler BTW)

10. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    (we need at least 1 more bowler BTW)

JKOC bowling team:
    Krash
    Padawan92
    Random
    _-Reborn_Jedi-_
    JJJ

11. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Looking ahead, who's interested in getting together the weekend of Nov 15-16 for some practice.

I know RoP is scheduled to do some filming that weekend...soething AFTER you're done filming would work (since many of you will already be there)

12. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

Mar 9, 2002
    Um, actually we aren't doing any more RoP filming until January, according to Bret...and also, the weekend would be bad for me, unless you want to practice like around noon or so.

13. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Um, Will, yes we ARE doing additional filming for Rite of Passage on the 15th... REMEMBER! However, we aren't filming anything with you that day because we're focusing on other parts of the story that don't you in them.

14. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    So when does everyone want to get together for some "practice" for out team? This is open to everyone, who hasn't volunteered for the event (in fact, I'd like a chance to talk with as many as possible about helping us with the fundraising)

Saturday, Nov 15:
    ???

Sunday, Nov 16th:
    Krash (all day - anytime)
    ???

15. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Saturday, Nov 15:
    Padawan92 (all day)

Sunday, Nov 16th:
    Padawan92 (only before five cause I have to go to work)

16. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    Saturday, Nov 15:
    Padawan92 (all day)
    JJJ (depending on what time we finish with RoP)

Sunday, Nov 16th:
    JJJ (after 1, so I can make church, and then drive up there, but I will go to early mass need be)

17. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Saturday, Nov 15:
    Krash (evening...going to Barons game with friend)
    Padawan92 (all day)
    JJJ (depending on what time we finish with RoP)

Sunday, Nov 16th:
    JJJ (after 1, so I can make church, and then drive up there, but I will go to early mass need be)

Possible locations:
    Brookgate (Brookpark)
    Buckeye Lanes (N. Olmsted)
    Roseland Lanes (Bedford)

18. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    After some ideas over IM...we narrowed everyone's availability for our 1st bowling practice for Sunday, November 16th at Freeway Lanes on Brookpark Road...starting at 1pm

19. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

Mar 9, 2002
    *raises hand* Oh, I'm going too.
    Haven't bowled in ages, prepare to see some gutter-cleaning action from me heh.

20. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Freeway Lanes:
    $3.50 per game (2 games at the most)
    $2.50 shoe rental

21. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Today went pretty well...Freeway Lanes is a pretty decent place to go bowling. And I'm not saying the Force gave us a sign...but there was a blue car in front of the doors, with a license plate that read Boba Fett. Eric joined us after the first game, and we played 2 games at a really good pace.

We came up with a name for our Bowl for Kids Sake team...Rebel Strike Team (kinda playing on that idea of a "small Rebel force" that will participate in the bowling event.

Krash: 95 - 122 (3 strikes in a row "a turkey")
    Padawan92: 87 - 125
    JarJarJedi: 73 - 60
    Reborn_Jedi: 89 - 114
    TheRandomMenace: MIA - 91

Apparently, Alex(Random's brother) wanted to bowl with us...and I told him these times when Rebel Strike Team is "practicing" everyone is welcome (and encouraged to join us. We had a good time, and this could be something for group events.

22. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I shared this with Don, but wanted to get the rest of the Rebel Strike Team's opinion...what do you think of challenging OHIO GARRISON (501st) to field a team against us?

Jedi vs Stormtroopers...what do you think?

23. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    I think the Jedi were made generals in charge of stormtroopers for a reason. I say go for it.

24. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I mentioned this at the meeting, but with no meeting scheduled for January...this is a good time to have a couple bowling "practice" events. So what days are good for you guys (those not on the team are welcome to join us for this)

Freeway Lanes? Or is there another location we should try?

Another thing mentioned at the meeting, we're gonna need everyone's help finding donations (not asking you for $) If you can/want to help, start thinking of people we can ask for donations to BBBS for the "Bowl for Kids Sake" event.

25. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    BUCKEYE LANES!
    BUCKEYE LANES!
    BUCKEYE LANES!
    BUCKEYE LANES!
    BUCKEYE LANES!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.