main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[BSG spin-off] Caprica

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by weezer, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Thats right, taking a page from Stargate, Sci-Fi is launching a spin off BSG series. Taking a page from Star Wars, its a prequel.

Here is the blurb from Gateworld.net:

SCI FI announces Galactica spin-off!
    WEDNESDAY - APRIL 26, 2006

by Darren Sumner

By the Lords of Kobol ... The SCI FI Channel has stunned fans today with the announcement of Caprica, a spin-off series from its top-rated Battlestar Galatica. SCI FI calls the potential new show "television's first science fiction family saga," centering on the history of the Adama family and the birth of the Cylons.

Set more than 50 years before the events of Battlestar Galactica, Caprica takes place on the capital world of the Twelve Colonies. There humankind thrives, living in a peaceful society with the benefits of high technology. But the development of an advanced, robotic, artificial life form is about to change everything.

The show is in development by Galactica executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick, 24 writer Remi Aubuchon, and NBC Universal Television Studio.

Here is the network's own description of the series:

The people of the Twelve Colonies are at peace and living in a society not unlike our own, but where high-technology has changed the lives of virtually everyone for the better. But a startling breakthrough in robotics is about to occur, one that will bring to life the age-old dream of marrying artificial intelligence with a mechanical body to create the first living robot -- a Cylon. Following the lives of two families, the Graystones and the Adamas (the family of William Adama, who will one day become the commander of the Battlestar Galactica) Caprica weaves corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics into television's first science fiction family saga.

The announcement comes as part of SCI FI's development slate of original scripted series, mini-series, reality shows, and new late-night programming, with no word on when Caprica might go into production or premiere on the cable channel. The development slate is a long-look ahead at what the network has planned and likely not a formal pick-up of the show -- and some series, for one reason or another, never see the light of day.

If the show receives an order to go into production, certainly don't expect to see it air this year.

Count on GateWorld to continue to follow developments as they happen. The third season of Battlestar Galactica premieres this October on SCI FI.

So what do the BSG fans think?

Do you love the thought of being able to see more of this universe or are they jumping the gun a bit?

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It could be interesting as long as they don't go overboard and try too hard.

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I don't know about that. I'm afraid they're going to burn us out with that, or worse, burn out the writers. One really great show would be better than two soso or even good shows. They are doing BSG EU novels, why not leave this sort of thing to that media.

4. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I think this sounds awesome and I hope Tigh's family also makes an appearance from time to time.

As for quality issues I don't think this new show if its created will suffer from that or subtract quality from BSG. Sci-Fi is pretty good at making their shows and keeping them fresh even if when there are spinoff series such as SGA.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Exciting to say the least! But I'm sceptical if it will be able to stand up to BSG. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

6. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Holy Bejeezes, I just heard about this!

I don't really know how I feel...it sounds like a good story idea and all but...

- We're only coming up on the third season of BSG - this seems a little soon...
    - I don't want to see Ron and Co stretched too thin
    - Continuity will be an issue...I wonder how interesting they'll be able to make it without stomping on info/impressions given in the regular series...

Please don't suck New Show [face_praying]

7. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I think they should wait until after BSG ends to do this. A prequel when we're only now getting to know the characters and the world seems to be rushing things a bit.

8. weezer

May 16, 2001
    The concept behind it sounds interesting enough: "Sci-fi family drama". BSG has already done a great job of showing that you can make a drama driven show that just happens to have fancy effects too.

What is this going to end up as? Dallas with space ships o_O

Its should be interesting to see. I can't really decide how I feel about this. On the one hand the "birth" of the cylons is something that many have been wanting to find out about for a long time and this promises to explore that.

On the other hand, it does seem a bit pre-mature. Right now its just preliminary, they're going to make it, it isn't coming out next season. Maybe by then it will have enough time to grow and what not. It does seem like they're a bit concerned about getting this stuff out before we get tired of it.

Edit: Then again when I first read the treatment for the new BSG I thought it sounded ridiculus. I imagine the new series would be just as difficult to sum up in five paragraphs ;)

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Having two series of the same franchise air concurrently would be a big mistake.

10. weezer

May 16, 2001
    You think?

Works pretty good for many other franchises.

Though there are also examples where it didn't work so well *cough*lonegunmen*cough*

11. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    If they wait until after BSG is done I think it could work well. But to do it before is giving too much of the characterization away. We will start to look at everyone different and it will box them in somewhat with what people can do/be like in the current show. Plus it will give us something to look forward to afterward instead of depression :p

12. weezer

May 16, 2001
    But it would be years before the current cast is even born.

It could give a deeper understanding of why the current characters do what they do. Not because of what they did but how they were raised, taught, etc. that would fill out the character in a way you don't usually see.

Or you could end up with a three year old Adama running around with a robotic dog/bear/midget thing. That would be cool :cool:

13. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    My initial reaction to this announcement was a stifled "NOOOOOO!" Upon further reflection, I stand by my first thoughts. Prequels create massive problems with established continuity, and there is a tendency among spin-offs to do as much as possible to divorce themselves from the original series. This usually leads to the spin-off sucking, hard long and for all eternity.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The Star Trek series (TNG, DS9 and Voyager) did a pretty good job of running concurrently, without stepping on each other's toes.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This could be oretty interesting- especially since, if you'll recall, the BSG miniseries established the 1970's BSG designs for the Cylons as being what they used to look like- so we may actually get the old-skool ships and stuff in action ::)

16. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    That's mostly because they had very little effect on each other Juliet, especially Voyager. Every episode of Caprica would have an effect on the continuity of BSG, and sooner or later the writers would write themselves into a corner, and any attempt to get out of that corner would lead down a very messy road.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The prequel nature only really limits stuff revolving around Admiral Adama's past, and maybe Tigh's, since they'd be the only ones alive around that time and featured, for the most part. Flashbacks with any of the rest of the crew is basicly unhindered because their past lives would be way after the events of this new series.

18. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm looking forwards to this. Looks like a great concept, but we all knew that it was coming someday.

19. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I love the concept! I just hope that the realization lives up to the possible hype. I do think it'd be a mistake to show the two shows concurrently, though. Let BSG run its course and then do Caprica, that would mean that the original story would be set in stone and the writers would just have to write round those plots. I wouldn't want to see Adama's childhood flashbacks in BSG, for example.

20. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    At least they didn't title it "Battlestar Atlantis"

21. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    It would have been called "Battlestar Atlantian." :) IIRC, she was destroyed in the inital attack, and her captian was the Colonial Fleet Admiral. I can't remember his or her name though.

As for "Caprica" goes...

I don't know what to think really. I don't know what the point of the show is. I'm afraid it will be to much of a soap opera. I think a better idea for a spinoff would be a show set on present day (or near future) Earth that revolves around the discovery of artifacts left from the 13 colony that refer directly to Kobol and the other 12 Colonies. Then you could have the two shows on a collision course with one another since I think BSG has to end with the fleet finding Earth. Then the spin-off could carry on the story after BSG ends. Caprica has no potential for serious long term development since at some point it will butt up against BSG (the current version - the 70's version doesn't exist in my mind so they can tread on that all they want).

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it was "Battlestar Atlantia", actually.

Anyways- I wonder if this is Scifi's attempt to spread themselves out a bit more if BSG's October debut pans out well for them. That way the July-Sept & Jan-March time periods could be anchored by SG-1 and SGA, while the Oct-Dec & April-June period could be anchored by BSG & Caprica.

23. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    This is a bad idea IMO. They are gonna burn the average fans out and lose viewers IMO.

24. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Sexual Politics?

[Han]I like the sound of that...[/Han]

25. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    They'll only lose viewers if the show sucks - as should be the case with any show. The fact that there it's another show set in the BSG universe won't matter. Look at the CSIs, Law and Orders, and Stargates. All those spinoffs have been around for at least 2 seasons and all still draw viewers. Only Law and Order seems to burn out its viewers with too many spinoffs, but there were always too many Law and Order spinoffs (3 running concurrently is too many - listen up CSI).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.