main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Build an English Theme Park

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Black-Tiger, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Conspiracy theories are great, although most are completely without evidence or sound logic.

I wish we still had the London Bridge that had all the buildings on it, that would be cool

[image=http://thames.me.uk/s00050_files/Picture%20001.jpg]

2. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    Why a bridge why not Buckingham Palace or Parliament everything got a price. :D

EDIT Couldn't they build their own or do they marvel at our ingenuity ?

3. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    McCulloch knew what he was buying, that bridge (Rennie's) leads to an English Theme Park funnily enough. That bridge also happens to be the second largest tourist attraction in Arizona after the Grand Canyon.

4. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Awhhh, I missed another classic UK/Britain which is which debate. :(

Oh, and Merling was Welsh. As was King Arthur in all likelyhood. If he ever even existed in the first place that is.

5. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    Sorry mate, but all the archaeologists are pretty much unanimous that King Arthur was born at Tintagel in Cornwall, lived at Cadbury Castle in Somerset and died at Glastonbury in Somerset. ;)

6. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    ....and his lover was Guinevere not Dolly the sheep.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    There is very little to go on though apart from the written tales themselves. Glastonbury Tor may or may not have been surrounded by water at that time (if he really was buried there he'd have been found by now they've done enough studies of the place) and Arthur may or may not have been born in Tintagel, if Arthur was even his name.
    He has been associated with the Welsh Otherworld in some sources. And the orignal basis for evidence of Arthur's existence, the 10thCentury Annales Cambriae, was based on a cronicle begun in 8thCentury Wales.

Cadbury Castle seems right seeing Camelot itself means "Land by the River Cam" and the castle is close to that river.

8. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    Ah yes, but you forget Arthur?s Grave, which was supposedly found in the 12th Century in the grounds of Glastonbury Abbey. It could?ve been a hoax in order to raise funds, but seeing Glastonbury?s geographical location compared to that of Cadbury; that and, as you pointed out, at the time of Arthur Glastonbury (translation: Isle of Apples i.e. Avalon!), was surrounded by marshland or a small inland sea, it?s therefore a very good fit for the place described in the legend as where Arthur was taken after death.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Glastonbury Tor was Avalon, and he has never been found there. Evidence for him being found in the Abbey is about as watertight as his supposed gravestone in Cornwall stating "Hic Iacet Arthurus Rex Quondam Rexque Futurus".

I can't seriously believe the fabled Black Marble Tomb he was said to have been placed in would've been destroyed by Henry VIII who was an admirer of the tales and even had his own round table made.

10. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I guess where King Arthur is concerned you could argue any side you wanted as most nations have a good claim to the legend.

Still think he was Welsh though. ;) Though of course he would have spent a lot of time in England and probably lived there, but
    it would seem that his legend has its roots in Welsh history.

11. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    Most nations? What like China, Chile and Chechnia?

12. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Most home nations of course! Duhhh

Though that bastian of all things English Saint George was Turkish, so you may not be a millions miles out with your China quip. ;)

13. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    My boyfriend keeps telling me about a book he read about Avalon and it apperantly states that the whole of early English history is actually Welsh, that Scot's Dyke refers to Ofa's Dyke really and that if you turn the map of Wales in the right direction it'll correspond pretty well to the map of England, i.e. main rivers. He loves conspiracy theories.

14. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Wait, are you telling me that the English actually stole someone elses culture and history and exploited it for their own ends!!!

Hmmm, for some reason i'm not that shocked? ;)

If you could find out the name of the book, that would be cool.

15. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    The Keys to Avalon by Steve Blake and Scott Lloyd.

16. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    I suspect that the Angles and Saxons pushed the Celts into what's now Wales after Arthur and the rest of the other Cheiftains folded.

And now we've got Scots in control and exploiting England....for now.[face_devil]

17. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I'm sure us UK'ers would have had a much better history and would get on a lot more now if we
    had not tried to kill and invade each other quite so much.

Considering that we're all from the same country we don't half have some major problems with each other.

I mean you never see the regions of France or Germany trying to kill each other?

I know its a slightly different setup in the UK, but I can't help but feel that its all Englands fault. ;)

Edit: Here's a review of the fore mentioned book.

Review
    Steve Blake and Scott Lloyd argue not only that Arthur existed, but also that the supposed locations of Camelot and Arthur's birth and last battle are radically different from those handed down from the Middle Ages. The source of our current stories of Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table is the work of Geoffrey of Monmouth, published in the 12th century. Much of the information that Geoffrey included appears to have been introduced at the request of Geoffrey's patron, the Earl of Gloucester. Tintagel, therefore, which belonged to the earl's brother, was named as Arthur's birthplace. Though there is a Round Table at Winchester, dendrochronology shows that it dates from no earlier than the reign of Edward III, who revived interest in Arthur by instigating the Order of the Round Table. Blake and Lloyd have combed accounts of Arthur dating from the Dark Ages and come up with a radical suggestion as to where the events of the legendary chieftain's life actually took place. They contend that Insula Britannia, the Kingdom of Britain, was, in fact, entirely situated in what we now know as Wales and the Welsh Marches. Evidence from ancient chronicles shows that the London referred to in mediaeval accounts of Arthur was in fact Ludlow, York was Wroxeter and Caerleon was Chester. The sword in the stone was situated at Machynlleth. Whether or not the reader agrees with the theory, the book is extremely detailed and well argued, providing evidence for the locations and identities of many events and characters in the Arthurian legends, such as Merlin and Morgan le Fay. Many maps are provided, so it is possible for the reader to visit and examine the places. This fascinating and enjoyable book would provide the basis for an intriguing trip to Wales. (Kirkus UK)

Product Description
    Avalon is Britain's very own Atlantis - a mystical kingdom rich in myth and lore. Legends tell how the body of King Arthur was taken to Avalon, where he would wait till his nation's hour of need. The truth is that Avalon was a very real place with a turbulent history of its own. The authors of this study use neglected ancient sources, geographical clues and modern maps to take us to the heart of this realm. They uncover a remarkable landscape steeped in evidence of a bygone age. En route, they debunk the claims of other places to the name of Avalon, and literally redraw the map of Dark Age Britain, forcing us to re-examine all of our theories about this era. Ultimately, they reveal the kernel of historical truth at the heart of the Arthurian legend and unlock the borders of a lost land.

See all Product Description

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Comparing Avalon & Atlantis is rather pointless seeing as Glastonbury Tor is still around and there is minimal evidence to show Atlantis genuinely existed outside of myth or any remote traces of foundations in any of the 3 or more locations it is said to have been in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.