main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Camping/Float trip anyone???

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by twilek69, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    I am planning on hanging at the campsite. I am not to crazy about water... :D

2. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    For those of us who don't much like river water, Bass and Blue Springs have a swimming pool, and it's free if you're camping there. I think that's what I'll be opting for depending on my mood and my checking account at the time.

3. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I might possible hang at the campsite also. I have never floated before and I am not sure if I want to with hubby. Plus I am not the greatest swimmer and I am a little worried about tipping the canoe or raft. He has no patience sometimes (we all have our faults, this is his, besides being a smartass) and I want to have a good time. Plus it would save us money. I really just want to go camping and sit in a cold river. My hubby wants to float. And then it depends if we have the kids our not. I won't take the little one floating yet. But Jeremy could take Rowan out. We will see with that the closer it gets.

4. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Yay!
    Okay, I have
    Me and my hubby
    Christine-JediRunya
    -E-
    Titania7/Danielle and Patrick
    Dagobah Diva/Amy and Tim (It's Tim right???)
    Darthshoey/Tim and Mrs. (maybe)

I will continue to add on as I hear an AYE or NAY.
    thanks,
    Leash

5. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    Sweet - I'll let Kim know.

Thanks guys

6. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    Whoa.
    I must say, I find your potential lack of floating disturbing.
    Not suprising that one or two are hesitant, but sounds like more are maybe bailing.
    Eek!

7. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    I'm a big NAY, of course.

8. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    I am not bailing yet. I am just unsure. I have never floated before and want to, but again the whole husband with no patience and then we get into a fight issue. We have been together long enough, that I have accepted this part of his personality and try to avoid situations were this will come up. I will float if I can be in a raft with others who know what they are doing. Otherwise, I will float all day at the campsite in a innertube.

9. shcook1138

shcook1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 16, 2003
    Nay from me as well. The last time I went floating was with a bunch of people who didn't speak English so the interactions with the others on the river were...well...interesting. I'm not sure I've recovered yet. :)

10. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Hey Leash, most rental places that I have ever been allowed for the rental of tubes.

11. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Susan and Ken, You are going to miss out on some serious fun! Last time we went floating I stayed back at campsite with daughter, but everyone tried to start a fight with my one friend that had blue hair calling her Kelly Osbourne or they tried to start a fight with my other friend who had on a "Fight Racisim" shirt on. They yelled profanities will my son then 5 got to listen to it all. You can't let it ruin your fun though. It was a great teaching lesson for Rowan too! LOL!

John-Yeah, If we don't have a raft I will definitely rent a inner tube to float at the campsite in.

12. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    Well, rafting on Mo rivers requires no skill at all, so that wouldn 't be a problem for you if you chose that option. You basically have your own slow moving, unflippable island. The only thing you even need a paddle for is pushing off the bank and branches that might be sticking up. Last time I actually was on one of those, I took a nap under a towel on it - that should tell you something.

Come on Ken and Susan. Get with the program!
    As for crowds, if we hit away from the 4th and Labor Day the rowdies (or Borg, as we call them-they tie their rafts together into a giant colony and try to get you "join in") will be but a cute part of the scenery we occasionally pass. In all the years I've been going, I've never had a problem with fights or roughhousing. Generally, it's live and let live; I guess you just roll the die and take your chances.
    Oh, and I don't know about the park, but Bass and Huzzah are heavily patrolled by unmarked rangers. You know who they are after long enough.

13. yodaismygod

Jun 25, 2002
    Ok, before I go and officially say I'm in, we are talking about floating on Saturday the 30, right? I'll be at work on friday till 10-ish, so unless this place is really really easy to find I'll probably head down early saturday morning. I'm usually pretty good with directions and finding stuff, but finding campsites in Nowheresville MO at 1 a.m. is not my idea of fun.

14. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    John,
    Yes, floating on Sat., July 30th. All three places should be easy to get to. If you want to come down after work on Friday, send your tent with me and we will set it up for you so at least you don't have to worry about that.

E- "Borg"! ROFLMAO! I will definitely have to remember that one. Okay, I will float, but please promise to save me if I start to drown! LOL! Hubby is not sure if he wants to come now. Something bout not really knowing everyone and me making him do things with my friends, blah, blah, blah..... If he decides not to go would anyone want to share a tent? My tent is huge and I have air mattresses. I invited a couple I am friends with and I don't think they will want to share a tent with me. :D

15. shcook1138

Sep 16, 2003
    Come on Ken and Susan. Get with the program!

I would happily get with a program that didn't involve being on the water and in the sweltering heat. Plus, where would I plug in my Gamecube? :p

16. yodaismygod

Jun 25, 2002
    Oh, don't worry about the gamecube, I'll have that taken care of...

17. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    Plus, where would I plug in my Gamecube?

Better if we keep it plugged in at my house. ;)

18. shcook1138

Sep 16, 2003
    Oh, don't worry about the gamecube, I'll have that taken care of...

Wait-there's video gaming on this float trip? That changes everything... :)

Keep the 'cube as long as you like, Ken. I've still got the PS2 to keep me company. :p

19. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    YIMG - chances are I won't be able to go until Friday after work as well. If it works for you, maybe we can carpool.

I'll be taking the family truckster in pea green metallic.

To vague a reference? :)

20. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    I would like to suggest something; I don't know if this is how we were going to do it anyways.
    Intstead of going on Friday night and floating Sat, how 'bout we go down Sat. morning? That way, we can set up camp, hit the river, and crash in our tents that night. In my experience, the float does leave a person pleasantly pooped - some may not want to drive home after that. Also, this would give the late workers on Fri. a chance to hang the same hours as others.
    Basically, show up Sat., claim site, float, shower, then hang by campfire that night.

21. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    Yes, E, I was going to say that. I'll only be able to go for one night anyway. However, we need to check out: whether the campground allows people to come in after a certain time (I know at least one that shuts the gates), and also, if everyone only wants one night...most campgrounds only take weekend reservations for 2 nights, so we'll have to find one that lets us do what the majority of the group wants.

22. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    I am off on Fridays after this week. I wanted to go down and spend the day there and night and also Sat. and then over night and I have to work on Sunday, so go home in late morning. That is just my preference and we can work around everyone. I will be staying friday night though.
    If I had a better head count "HINT, HINT" ;) , I could then make a better decision on which campground to use. I am not sure what time the campgrounds close the gates, neither Bass nor Huzzah's website say. The Huzzah Conservation area campsite probably does shut the gate early, but I will have to call on that. In that instance someone could call and get the code for the gate to get in. We have had to use this method before when showing up late to a state park campground. At Huzzah and Bass the amount of people per campsite is 10 to 18. But they charge per person not per campsite, so as long as we had at least four people to hold two campsites, we should be fine for those who wanted to come down on Sat. instead.

23. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    I don't mind going both Friday and Sat. with you Leash. Count me and mine in. :D

24. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Thanks Christine! At least this way we could hold two campsites so we are not camping on top of each other. I will check about reservations, late arrivals, etc. tommorrow and let you all know.

25. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I do like the outdoors and woods and such...count me tempted!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.