main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can Somebody Teach Me How To Play?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by JWK, Apr 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I'm an 'exprienced' Magic the Gathering CCG player. I'm also a big SW fan. I would kinda like to know how to play SW CCG.

Some basic questions I have about SW CCG:

1. Is SW CCG similar to Magic in some ways?
    2. Where do I find some Cards?
    3. How much is a typical pack of Card groups?
    4. If I like what I read should I start playing now? Or is it too late?
    5. How do you play?
    6. What are the 'Basic' rules? Where can I find a rule book?
    7. What are some good cards? Bad cards? (In your Opinion)
    8. Are there any good Yoda cards?

I thank you for all of your help.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Here are the basics of the game, courtesy of Red 84:

1. Activate Phase: Count the lightsaber icons on your side of all the locations and then add 1 to that total for yourself. Take a number of cards off the top of your Reserve Deck equal to that number and place them in a pile to the right of your Reserve Deck.

2. Control Phase: It is important to state first that WHENEVER you have a total of 1 or more ability at a location and your opponent does not, then you control that location. However, it is during this phase that if you are still controlling that location you may FORCE DRAIN. When you declare a Force drain at a location you control, the opponent must lose an amount of cards equal to the total Force icons on their side of the location. There are many cards in the CCG that allow you to add to your Force drains, including some of the locations themselves. It is important not to forget that when you are Force draining.

3. Deploy: All cards (except Interrupts and Immediate Effects) can only enter play during the Deploy phase. Locations always deploy for free. All other cards have a deploy cost listed on them. On characters, vehicles, and starships the deploy cost can be found in the the little white box at the bottom, left hand corner. For weapons, devices, and effects the deploy cost can be found in that card's gametext, usually at the very beginning.

You can only deploy characters, vehicles, and starships where you either have saber icons on your side of a location OR where you have presence (total ability of 1 or more at a location). HOWEVER, Spies are not subject to these restrictions.

Capital Starships cannot deploy at sites and starfighters must deploy with a pilot. Starfighters (except TIEs) may also deploy with or without a pilot to a docking bay.

You can deploy as many weapons and devices on a card as you wish, however that card may only use one weapon and one device per turn (except capital starships--they may use as any number of weapons and devices in a turn).

Finally, some cards have a dot (or two or three) next to their name. This means that only one copy of that card (or two or three) can be in play at once. Also there can only be one version of a unique character in play. For instance there are 5 different versions of Darth Vader in the game, but only one version of his persona can be on the table at once.

4. Battle: To initiate a battle at a location you must use 1 Force and both players must have at least 1 ability at the location. Battles are split up into 3 segments--Weapons, Power, and Damage. Before the Weapons segment, your opponent gets a chance deploy or move as a 'react' with any cards which specifically say that they may do so.

WEAPONS- During this part of the battle characters may fire their weapons (if any). You get the first chance to fire. Look at the weapon to see how it works. It will tell you what you need to do. If a character is 'hit' by a weapon and that character has a weapon that has not been fired, then that character still gets to fire it. Any weapon can only be fired once unless that weapon says otherwise.

POWER- To determine who wins a battle add the powers of all your characters and/or vehicles (if the battle is at a site) or starships (if at a system or sector) that are participating in the battle--including 'hit' characters, vehicles, and starships. At this time you may reveal the top card of your Reserve Deck and add the number in the black circle to your power. This is your battle destiny. Battle destiny also triggers something called attrition, but this is the most advanced concept of the game and for now it is not important.

The player with the highest total power is the winner.

DAMAGE- During this segment both players "forfeit" any characters that have been 'hit' by weapons (any and all cards that are deployed on or targeting them are also lost). At this time the player who lost the battle must lose an amount of cards equal to the difference between the two total powers. So if you had 5 power and you opponent had 12, then

3. Spud The Hutt

Spud The Hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 1999
    In reply to your topic question...hmmm...only if you ask REAAAALLLYYY nice....yeah.

Ok, whew, where to start! Let's try this.

Answer to:
    1. Yes/No. The whole idea of the library/graveyard = Reserve deck/lost pile and most cards have a deploy cost and, um, they're both CCG's. That's about it.

2. Go to the exact same places that you would go to to buy Magic cards. Any halfway decent comic store should have them. If you're looking for a bargin, try going to Electronic Botique/Game Stop type stores because they usually over buy and end up marking their merchandise down a buck or so. However, they have very limited choices.

3.Starters are anywhere from $10-$15. Normal booster packs cost $3.29/pack, but if you live in a decent sized area check around and you can find 'em cheaper.

4.Heck no! It's never too late to start playing SW:CCG. If your worried about past expansions just buy Reflections 1, or 2. Also recommended are the Death Star 2 starter decks and boosters as well as Endor boosters. If you're still concerned with starting too late then start with the new Tatooine expansion which will be primarily Episode 1 cards and Decipher will eventually be holding tournaments with prequel only cards! Any way you go you can't loose.

5. Buy a DS 2 Starter and read the manual. If you still have any questions read the other post(s) in this folder and feel free to ask questions!

6. See previous answer. Rules book comes with the starter. For a rules glossary buy a Special Edition Starter.

7. Mmm, it's all a matter of opinion really but some of the cool main characters that they have out are Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker and Lord Vader. Talk about your powerhouses!

8. Yep. There's only one Yoda character card out presently. If you want to try your luck pulling Him from a pack, he's in the Dagobah expansion set. Though you could always try first Reflections set and hope for the best!

Hope this helps you on your way to many years of Star Wars playing!

Spud

4. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Thank you for the help but I'm kinda still LOST with the words. I should of said that I've never seen a SW:CCG card but the Mara Jade one in SW insider. However thanks for the info for/if when I get the cards I can learn how to play.

Also Thanks for the Link.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    If you have any questions about the game, feel free to ask them here. Most of us are always happy to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.