main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    While you're reading Lovecraft, read "The Lurking Fear" and "Green Tea."

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I am currently reading "We Were Not The Savages: A Mi'kmaq Perspective of the Collision Between European and Native American Civilizations." It's about as interesting as it sounds. It's for an essay for an extremely boring class. I'm really hoping to get some good pleasure reading time in over my two weeks for winter break.

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    ACK! My kids have a week off of school next week, so I have them home for nine days straight. That is nine days of them fighting over the PS3, the computer or a multitude of other stuff. I should have planned on going somewhere during Thanksgiving break.

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, that it is kind of terrifying. My parents usually handled it by finding something for all of us to do separately outside the home. My favorite was when we had two weeks of vacation in '99. The first week, I had eye surgery. The second week I went to NYC.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't think my kids would like eye surgery. :(;) Luckily the new Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty video games just came out, so that preoccupies them a bit.

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    As far as spicy foods go, It depends on the spice for me. I like cajun spice, hot wings, hot sauce but can't do Thai spice for anything.

I just started reading a children's book called Hollow Earth by John Barrowman (aka Captain Jack from Torchwood) and his sister. It's pretty fun!

7. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Hey, I found out the new "IGNORE" feature in these new boards really work. I was reading a thread and some guy was trolling it. So one of the people posting recommended we use the ignore button. So I click on the trolls name and there pops up his bio and there is an option to "ignore". I pushed that and when I refreshed the page this person was trolling...they were gone. It is like they never existed. So far I have ignored two trolls. It's like being a god. "I banish you to the realm of nothingness you detestable troll!" [insert evil laugh]

I like that new aspect of the board.

I just realized that if I no longer get any reviews for my stories, it is probably because I am now on your 'ignore' list. [face_sigh]

8. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    There were so many times when I was a mod that I would have loved to do to users. There was one in particular who liked to follow me around to threads and post messages that were just normal at first glance, but then you'd look and realise that certain letters were caps and bolded to spell things like "DANTANA SUCKS".

9. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    double edged sword, is it not.

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Well, I am up to 50K words on NaNo, so I can relax a little. It is the third day of my kids nine day vacation from school and already the younger one is throwing up. It figures he will get sick while on vacation. He woke me up at 2AM because he was out of towels in his bathroom and needed to get some out of mine. We are supposed to go to lunch with Grandma today...I don't think that is going to happen. I hope I don't get sick.

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Congrats on completing NaNo. I think I've written 50 words in the past month. Darn you university.

Blah. I hope he feels better.

12. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Dang, that's really crazy. That person actually went to all the trouble to hide despicable messages in his posts. It's a shame, really.

BTW, Dantana, you in no way "suck"[:D]... unless it's on a mint or something. :p

13. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    It was years ago. A bunch of people banded together to get me ousted as a mod. Long story. Only part that really sticks with me is the roleplaying game some of them had going where the goal was to come up with the most creative and goriest way to kill me. The head admin ignored it because it was "off-site", yet allowed the same people to put together an off-site petition to get me demoted. I . . . Well, he was booted for sexually harassing female board members, so I guess that's karma for you.

14. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006

Geesh! Some people are just sick! Thank goodness that particular admin is gone. I remember something being said about someone being ousted for sexual harassment a few years back... I assume this is the same admin you're speaking about.

15. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    The trials and tribulations of being a moderator/administrator...

I've come across a forum where people were talking about how much they hated me, so I called upon a few of my troll friends to spam the hell out of it. And then there was the Megaman Community forums... The head admin would vanish for months at a time and leave me in charge, and then come back and unban all the idiots I had banned and undo changes I had made to get the forum to do certain things, and then give us all a lecture on how great he was... even though he could never figure out where his shift key was located. I finally got tired of it, and left. The forum went straight to hell almost immediately afterward and I had never looked back.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Scary. I've never been a mod/admin to anywhere, nor do ever plan on becoming one. I respect authority, only if they deserve my respect, and if they don't and they abuse their power, I don't cause trouble or drama, I just get out of there.

I realized something today: if you count my two years of pre-school, speech and physical therapy, I've been in school for almost 17 straight years. I'm ready for a break. I was going to take a full summer course load, but now, I'm thinking 'screw that', I'm having fun this summer. I am planning on going somewhere crazy, possibly on a mission trip, or just picking a continent and traveling over part of it.

17. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I got you beat there. I was in school for twenty straight years, not including any pre-school. Then I decided to go *back* to school and added another two.

18. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I have about eight cumulative years of college, but no current plans to go back. I may see what it would take just to finish off a degree, but I am not signing up for another four-year hitch at the behest of everyone else. I went to college because everyone told me to do so. I'm done with that.

Dantana Skywalker likes this.
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Wow. I figure if I don't take any breaks and I do summer school, my undergrad is going to take me 5 years and my graduate is going to take me 3. That'll be 23 years all together, if my sanity and my brain lasts that long. I'm just ready for a break, maybe because I have two week left to go of this semester and I'm in the thick of it all, but I just want to relax for 4 months, maybe do something crazy somewhere warm and not worry about due dates or exams or moose chasing people at the bus stop (I wish I was kidding. I go to the only university with a 'beware of moose' sign).

There are days when I regret not taking biology and chemistry in high school. The college here has an amazing two year radiology program and grads pretty much get a job right away. I looked into going to bible college but that was a big-no-no in my family's opinion. So here I am, becoming a librarian, kinda out of 'what else can I do with my life?'. Because of my Cerebral palsy, a lot of options are off the table, like brain surgeon.

20. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    You should talk to ginchy. She's a librarian!

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I know that sucks. My son with mild CP wants to be a soldier or a pilot and I have to tell him that may not be an option since those jobs you have to pass a physical.

My husband once accused me of being a professional student, but that pretty much changed 13 years ago when my oldest was born. Before that there was 13 years in primary and secondary school. Then two years partime college and 5 years full time. Then a five year break and then another 6 years college. So that makes a total of 26 years. I just like going to school. But in the most recent years I have found online learning videos a much better learning tool, especially for learning computer programs.

I went to the local college for Photoshop last year and was bored to tears. The other old people like me were WAY behind the power curve and most of the class went like this. "How do I open up new file?, How do I save a file? Where's the save button? What does layers mean?"

It was like they grabbed somebody from the 1950's and plopped them down in that class. "What's a computer?" ARRRGGGHHH!

So then I found a website called Lynda.com and for $25 a month I can access all their online classes. I learned a lot from that site. I know you can probably find tutorials for free on YouTube, but I find them hard to follow since they are usually computer smart kids instructing but they lack the knowledge as to how to teach a class. A lot of times they say, "Oh I forgot to tell you this." So I stick with the professional tutorials.

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Librarian was always my back up, even as a little kid when I wanted to be a fairy princess. When I decided last year that Political Science just WAS NOT for me, I met Ginchy and I found out that a longtime friend of mine plans to get a Masters of Library science after her undergrad, so I looked into it and decided that's what I want to do with my life - a decent job with plenty of room on the side to write (if my muse ever returns).

I say there is nothing wrong with being a professional student, if you have the money and the attention span to do it. I don't have any attention span, so its a miracle I survived this long without going bonkers.

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, but if he's anything like his brother, he'll be bald by 35. But still. New goal: marry Prince Harry/Ben Skywalker and become a Jedi Princess.

25. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Briannakin, I was so excited to not be in school for a little bit when I finished my BA in 2010.

Yeah, I was stir crazy within months. Happily, circumstances conspired to allow me to start on an MA earlier this year in a program that hopefully shouldn't be too hard to finish once that whole motherhood thing strikes in May, it's on a fairly flexible schedule.

But I'm one of those people who would love to be a professional student... guess we'll see if I still feel that way next year. Ha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.